Thread: Poets

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Poets

I have produced a tentative list of types for my favorite poets. I am posting this here because my thoughts on this matter are still uncertain and I am looking for agreement, disagreement, and discussion.

William Shakesphere: INFp or ENFj. Either one is plausible. I can sense both Ni and Fe in his sonnets and I cannot determine which one is stronger. He definately did have a very strong creative function.

Alfred Tennyson: ISTj

Lord Byron: ENFj

John Keats: ESFp

Percy Bysshe Shelly: perhaps INFp

Edgar Allen Poe: INTp

I think that Oscar Wilde may have been an ENTp (although he is more of a playwrite than a poet).

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely think Percy is an INFP and as for Shakespeare.. hmm.. I'd say INFP just because Romeo and Juliet is something every INFP dreams of.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFp for Shakespeare? Maybe. I should reread Romeo and Juliet to see what you mean.

Also, Sylvia Plath is a likely INFp.

Oh, and I'm not stereotyping all poets as INFps. I just think that because I am an INFp I am attracted to poetry produced by INFps.

TS Eliot INTj?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"TS Eliot INTj?"

I honestly have no idea what his type is. I thought ISTp at first, but now I'm not so sure. Why INTj?

Haha, honestly it is his thoughts on women that make me think that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lord Byron was totally an ENTP. No ENFJ would have been as hedonistic as Byron.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps Byron was an ENTp. However, socionika.com attributes hedonism to a negative manifestation of a sensing function, so if a hedonistic attitude was truly prominent in Byron then he would most likely be some sort of S type. However, I have read that the alleged hedonism of Byron was somewhat of an act intended to shock people.

I have also read that Byron was quite insecure about his physical attractiveness, which is why I believe his type might have been one with weak Si.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Byron was ethical because he increasingly wrote poetry not to make some sort of social comment but to release his own emotions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think shakespear is totally INFP.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds almost all like ILE to me, although the "releasing emotion" might have more to do with weak , which would point towards an ILI or LIE
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He did create the character whose name is also the ENFj pseudonym. His sonnets were also tinged with an intense emotionality more reminiscent of ENFjs than INFps. However, also within his sonnets one may see time as a reoccurring theme and this may point to Ni being stronger than Fe. I am still undecided, although I do lean more toward ENFj than INFp at the moment. For what reason do you think he is an ENFj?

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    He did create the character whose name is also the ENFj pseudonym. His sonnets were also tinged with an intense emotionality more reminiscent of ENFjs than INFps. However, also within his sonnets one may see time as a reoccurring theme and this may point to Ni being stronger than Fe. I am still undecided, although I do lean more toward ENFj than INFp at the moment. For what reason do you think he is an ENFj?

Eh? Explain that sentence, please. INFps are EXTREMELY emotional

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tempus

Eh? Explain that sentence, please. INFps are EXTREMELY emotional

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Shakespeare to be an Intuitve-ethical Introvert (INFp).
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His sonnets were also tinged with an intense emotionality more reminiscent of ENFjs than INFps. However, also within his sonnets one may see time as a reoccurring theme and this may point to Ni being stronger than Fe. I am still undecided, although I do lean more toward ENFj than INFp at the moment.
    If you look at INFP poetry it is pretty much always based on the emotional situation. You see, poetry is often how INFPs express Fe, because unlike ENFJs, they are a bit unsure of it. I don't think I've ever wrote a poem that wasnt based on "intense emotion". I think INFPs can easier get lost in writing a story like shakespear does and can get lost in those emotions the characters experience very easily. Also, the thoughts of the characters, the way Shakespear has them thinking, it truely seems like they're coming from an INFP mindset. It's hard for me to explain...
    I think INFP poetry would also be more metaphoric due to Ni as a base an Fe as a creative. At least for personal poems... an ENFJ would be more revealing, as they are more confident about their Fe... they wouldn't feel the need for all the metaphors and have all the confusion in their writings as much.... it wouldn't be as apparent.... their poems would be more blunt, more out there, less metaphoric, more of what would make an INFP feel like their insides were cut out if someone were to read it.

I think many of the emotions he depicts in his stories he has felt himself, or he lost himself so far in the story that he can feel them so realisticly, which is not hard to do for an INFP, and I think that the extremely metaphoric style he uses in order to show those emotions is depictive of an INFP approach to poetry.

Creepy-pokeball

My poetry teacher from a long while back told me that my poetry was really good but my descriptive detail was far too complex. He also gave me bad marks for being a smart ass in my poetry when he assigned forced themes (I still got an A though so whatever =p ). As for emotion, uh, he thought my childhood stories carried the most emotive weight since it was obvious that he liked those best (he was really into that stuff).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    from socionics.org

ENFJ - Hamlet, "teacher" ("Actor"), Eie

Actors, the executors : Jeanne aguzarova, Annet Bening, Nikolai Burlyaev, Melani Griffith, Iren Jacob, Nastas'ya Of kinski, Anna koval'chuk, Mikhail and Cyril kozakovy, David kopperfild, Ilya lagutenko, Jean mare, Vladimir Mashkov, Arkady raykin, Constantine raykin, Mikki Of rurk, alene of Sviridov, Victor sukhorukov, Milen Farmer, Aleksandr filippenko, Charlie Chaplin
    Heroes of the books and films: Hamlet (V.Shekspir, "Hamlet, prince datskiy"), old man KARAMAZOV (F.Dostoyevskiy, "brothers Karamazovy"), MARGARET (M.Bulgakov, "master Margaret"), Thomas OPISKIN (F.Dostoyevskiy, "it sat down Stepanchikovo and his inhabitants").
    Spiritual leaders: Iisus Christ, Mohammed (prophet)
    Writers, poets, the spiritual leaders: Leonid Andreev, Friedrich Holderlin, Johann Wolfgang Goethe, Valentina katayev, The edward Of lemons, Edgar Po, Aleksandr prokhanov, The sea-scape Of tsvetayeva, William Shakespeare
    not like socionics.org is always 100% right, but i can see enfj more easily than infp. the mirror relation could explain why infps can see themselves in his work/understand his work well.

i'm thinking sonnet 138 sounds like something from an enfj upset and criticizing the "to be perfect" hidden agenda.
    Yes, mirrors.. they also confused ISTp Thomas Edison for an ESTj.

To be honest, I don't see ENFj. He was a stereotypical "Irrational Introvert", no way was he a Rational Extravert. Read what Jung said about the two types and you'll notice the difference.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Eh? Explain that sentence, please. INFps are EXTREMELY emotional"

Yes, INFps are very emotional; however, their emotionality is somewhat restrained and is less obvious than the emotionality of ENFjs. The dominant Ni of INFps can even make them seem a little detached. The intensity of expression revealed in Shakespeare's sonnets seem indicative of Fe as a base function rather than a creative function.

Oh, by the way, I am a liar. (Sorry.) I have believed all along that Shakespeare was an ENFj and I just didn't want to upset those who so adamantly protest that he is an INFp. But I am being honest now and that is good, isn't it? Can anyone who believes he is an INFp explain to me how Ni as a dominant function manifests itself in his poems?

It seems to me that F. Scott Fitzgerald is another ENFj whose work is imbued with the reoccurring theme of time.