Thread: Thought Stream

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thought Stream

I have had a stream of thought that I felt like posting.

1. I was reading the Wikisocion type descriptions and noticed this in the SEI one:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikisoc
    SEIs have a strong connection and ability to recognize internal physical states in themselves and others. They understand how these states are reached and are able to easily recreate or avoid them.
    2. This reminded me of a line in the Vin Diesel movie "Strays" that I watched the other day... where the main character says that he has to buy a Snapple before going into the theatre because the movie theatre soda gives him a headache, simple as that. (I'm not saying that his character was Si ego, as I thought the character was clearly Se ego, but I thought that was a trivial example of Si.)

3. This then led to recalling an appt with the eye doctor last year... I went to the eye doctor (because I've never been to one before) and because I sometimes see these bright light changes in my eyes... I thought something might be wrong with my eyes. The eye doctor told me that actually that particular thing has nothing to do with my eyes but more to do with migranes and blood pressure changes affecting the brain... (and that you can have a migrane without feeling like you have a headache at all, which is the case ~20% of the time with migranes). He told me that if you pay attention you can actually figure out what brings on these vision changes/migraines... that it's often simple things in one's diet, etc. He then gave me a whole spiel about his own self-study about this sort of thing and what he'd noticed about his diet etc. and various vision things. He had it very well catalogued and available off the top of his head. He seemed very good with Si.

4. If Si understands how to reach and recreate these sorts of physical states... then can I symmetrically say that Ni knows how to reach and recreate certain *mental* states to some degree? And perhaps it is this attention to such mental states that corresponds with a strong experience of the flow of time? Watching ones changing mental states change creates a perception of time.
    Last edited by inumbra; 02-15-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    4. If Si understands how to reach and recreate these sorts of physical states... then can I symmetrically say that Ni knows how to reach and recreate certain *mental* states to some degree? And perhaps it is this attention to such mental states that corresponds with a strong experience of the flow of time? Watching ones changing mental states change creates a perception of time.
    Hmm.. that's an interesting question. Not so sure about the perception of time bit, but about the recreating mental states. I think it's recognising when a certain... not stimulus as such, but say for example a particular type of scene in a film or some sort of imagery or text or anything like that, how it would cause a mental state and what pre-requisites would be necessary. An example I'm thinking of is the film Gladiator, which I watched for the first time a short while ago. The ending of that film actually made me feel really emotional inside me, but I know to get to that state again I'd have to watch it from start to finish, not be interrupted by anything external and be in a reasonably relaxed state, able to absorb myself into the film. Is this something along the lines of what you were thinking?
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and because I sometimes see these bright light changes in my eyes
    These are called auras.

He seemed very good with Si.
    Not necessarily: these phenomena and how to deal with them, are actually very well known and documented. In my twenties I had migraines very often, and sometimes to the extent that I really didn't care anymore whether I lived or died (not meaning I got suicidal, because I didn't). In my particular case, the migraines were caused by daylight. Even nowadays I often wear sunglasses on clouded days. And I still like darkness very much.
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    These phenomena and how to deal with them, are actually very well known and documented. In my twenties I had migraines very often, and sometimes to the extent that I really didn't care anymore whether I lived or died (not meaning I got suicidal, because I didn't). In my particular case, the migraines were caused by daylight. Even nowadays I often wear sunglasses on clouded days. And I still like darkness very much.
    Point taken. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson View Post
    Hmm.. that's an interesting question. Not so sure about the perception of time bit, but about the recreating mental states. I think it's recognising when a certain... not stimulus as such, but say for example a particular type of scene in a film or some sort of imagery or text or anything like that, how it would cause a mental state and what pre-requisites would be necessary. An example I'm thinking of is the film Gladiator, which I watched for the first time a short while ago. The ending of that film actually made me feel really emotional inside me, but I know to get to that state again I'd have to watch it from start to finish, not be interrupted by anything external and be in a reasonably relaxed state, able to absorb myself into the film. Is this something along the lines of what you were thinking?
    I don't know.

Perhaps...

Ni can interpret mental states and derive what they mean.

Si can interpret physical states and derive what they mean.

Despite some help with this previously, I'm still having this problem where I see an imbalance between the perception of Ni and the perception of Si. Si seems so simplified it might as well be irrelevant... Ni seems so ineffable it might as well not exist.

Perhaps if I viewed them both in terms of time.

Ni is like moving through time... things flash through your mind... it's in flux... that sort of thing.

Si is like suspension of time maybe... like if you could freeze the flow of it, and just be suspended in moments within time, stop the flow of time... etc.

I mean time in a purely "subjective" way here.

It's like Si and Ni are two ends of the same continuum.

What controls the rates at which you perceive time? Sometimes it goes very fast, sometimes very slow... etc. That subjective perception of it must arise or emerge out of ones mental processes... something about the rate at which processes in the mind are happening, and what's happening with them is creating this perception of "time"... this ties into memory as well, of course.

It's almost like Ni speeds things up in that you see way ahead of you before you could ever possibly get there... then you briefly freeze it to reorient yourself and then go back to seeing way ahead of you. You exist in the potential future more than in the present. Si seems to slow things down, bringing what is way ahead back here, back now. It's like they *both* have to do with time in that sense.

Sigh... anyway... I'm ready to ditch this train of thought. :-)