Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Have I no capacity for pity?

I've recently come to consider despite the woeful limitations of what have proven to be my determined enemies (see http://yggdraunion.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Rants_thread and http://yggdraunion.wikia.com/wiki/Speculations), that I have no pity at all for them. Rather, I see their decrept minds as virii in the collective +Fe atmosphere, to be fought against and if possible, extinguished. Like virii their prospects are as limited as their psyches... that I can tell, they exist only to afflict the larger human organism.

Should I pity people for not having the belief in the human spirit that I do? For always living in fear or seeing the world as a harsh place? Why should I, when they are the sources of the fear? It is not a matter of a malleable environment, but of an internal disposition that will find SOMETHING to hate about the environment no matter what. They aren't victims of the world: they alone have the potential within them to be the great oppressors, the destroyers... it's an endless cycle of hate producing hate... the earlier generation foisting their contempt for tolerance and civility on the later generation, creating the hatred anew. In the end, only the disposition themselves should be blamed.

Should I feel the slightest bit of remorse for these people who are not only destined to a tragic fate, but are their own arbiters thereof?
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 02-12-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    I've recently come to consider despite the woeful limitations of what have proven to be my determined enemies (see ), that I have no pity at all for them. Rather, I see their decrept minds as virii in the collective +Fe atmosphere, to be fought against and if possible, extinguished. Like virii their prospects are as limited as their psyches... that I can tell, they exist only to afflict the larger human organism.

Should I pity people for not having the belief in the human spirit that I do? For always living in fear or seeing the world as a harsh place? Why should I, when they are the sources of the fear? It is not a matter of a malleable environment, but of an internal disposition that will find SOMETHING to hate about the environment no matter what. They aren't victims of the world: they alone have the potential within them to be the great oppressors, the destroyers... it's an endless cycle of hate producing hate... the earlier generation foisting their contempt for tolerance and civility on the later generation, creating the hatred anew. In the end, only the disposition themselves should be blamed.

Should I feel the slightest bit of remorse for these people who are not only destined to a tragic fate, but are their own arbiters thereof?
    Are you being rhetorical (in the sense of not looking for an answer) or seriously seeking input?
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to forget SEE or not, they are people.

Their "decrept minds" are not "virii". They have different values and viewpoints. They deserve to be on this rock as much as you or I.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Creepy-Cyclops

It sounds like you might be trying to create a conflict in yourself and with others over something which doesn't exist. Save your energy for other things.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    You seem to forget SEE or not, they are people.

Their "decrept minds" are not "virii". They have different values and viewpoints. They deserve to be on this rock as much as you or I.
    SEE has nothing to do with it. I forgot to include links to who I was talking about. See them. It's the 199.*** IP person, who I've typed as ISFj.

Cyclops:
    You obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. Unless you want to learn (and you should read through my articles on Wikisocion and in Non-socionics type theories should you desire such) then it doesn't concern you and you should stay out of it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry, I meant Fe.

- Voltaire

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Why, why, why, does the inevitable always seem inevitable?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Why, why, why, does the inevitable always seem inevitable?
    Because it's inevitable.

I pity your souls

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Because it's inevitable.
    But, even if that is true, why should we pity those who deserve pity?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    But, even if that is true, why should we pity those who deserve pity?
    Because they're pitiful!

I pity your souls

Creepy-Cyclops

@tcaudlllig

If your referring to an ISFj then why do you write about it as 'people'? And yes you should have posted your links.

If you are wanting me to stay out fair enough, but why on earth would you then put it on a public forum?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Isn't tcaudilllg begging the question?

If people are destined to be assholes, then they should be pitied, because they can't help it.

If people have agency in their assholery, then they should be pitied, because they clearly acting according to different principles to you! Heaven knows, they might actually be acting reasonably!

Read my words; for I know wisdom far beyond my years.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say B

- Voltaire

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he's working out something in his head... and sort of going overboard with it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nakba Day (Arabic: يوم النكبة yawm al-nakba15 May) is the annual day of commemoration by Palestinian Arabs of the anniversary of the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948.[1][2] Palestinians “use it to commemorate the dispossession of hundreds of thousands of their people who were made homeless as Israel was born.” [3] Events in Palestine during the British mandate prior to Israel's declaration of independence, as well as the 1948 Arab-Israeli War that erupted following the invasion by neighbouring Arab states, resulted in the flight or expulsion of an estimated 700,000 Palestinian refugees, [4] and the destruction and abandonment of up to 418 Palestinian villages. [5] Palestinian Arabs call these events al-Nakba ("the catastrophe"). [6]
    Israel declared its independence on the evening of May 14, 1948. In the ensuing struggle, Israel went on to successfully repel the armies of Egypt, Syria, Transjordan, Iraq, and Lebanon and to capture just over fifty per cent of the territory allocated as an Arab state in the 1947 UN Partition Plan. After the end of the War, the vast majority of Palestinian Arab refugees outside the 1949 armistice lines were barred from returning to their homes, many of which had been destroyed, or from reclaiming their property. [4][5] Every year, on the 5th of Iyyar of the Hebrew calendar (which can fall between 15 April and 15 May) Israelis celebrate Independence Day (Yom Ha'atzma'ut). [7] While Nakba Day is commemorated on May 15 in keeping with the Gregorian calendar instead of the Islamic calendar, Palestinian Arabs and their supporters around the world coordinate some Nakba Day events to coincide with the Israeli Independence Day celebrations. [8] [9] [10] Because of the differences between the Jewish and the Gregorian calendars, Independence Day and the official May 15 date for Nakba Day usually only coincides every 19 years.[11] In Israel, there are Nakba day protests which takes place according to the Hebrew date, on the same day when Israelis celebrate Israel's independence day.
    The event is often marked by speeches and rallies in the West Bank, Gaza and in Arab states.[12] In 2006, Israeli Arab member of the Knesset Dr. Azmi Bishara told the Israeli newspaper Maariv: "Independence Day is your holiday, not ours. We mark this as the day of our Nakba, the tragedy that befell the Palestinian nation in 1948". [13][14] Israeli politician Avigdor Lieberman called for Israeli Arab Knesset members that marked Nakba Day, to be tried for treason.
    The day was inaugurated in 1998 by Yasser Arafat, [15] when over one million people participated in marches and other events.[16] Nakba Day has been marked each year by protests which at times develop to clashes between Palestinian Arabs and the Israel Defense Forces in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, [17][18][19] and in 2003 and 2004, by demonstrations in London [20] and New York City. [21]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Town of Ridgway is a Home Rule Municipality located in Ouray County, Colorado, United States. The population was 713 at the 2000 census. The area is famous as the filming site of the John Wayne western movie True Grit, and still has a True Grit Cafe, full of John Wayne memorabilia. The town served as the setting for Fort Smith and the most notable scene was the hanging in the main city park.
    The Uncompahgre River runs through the town, and provides ample trout fishing for its residents, as does the Ridgway State Park and Reservoir, just north of Ridgway a mile or two.
    Wildlife is ample; deer, elk, bear, coyotes and eagles are a common sight in and around town.

History

Ridgway began as a railroad town, serving the nearby mining towns of Telluride and Ouray, pronounced yu-ray. The town site sits at the northern terminus of the Rio Grande Southern Railroad where it meets with Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad running between Montrose and Ouray. Ridgway was located about 3 miles (5 km) south of the existing town of Dallas. Articles of incorporation were filed on 22 May 1890 and granted on 4 March 1891. Ridgway was named after Denver and Rio Grande Railroad superintendent Robert M. Ridgway.
    The Rio Grande Southern filed for abandonment on 24 April 1952 and the Denver and Rio Grande Western abandoned the line between Ridgway and Ouray on 21 March 1953. The line between Ridgway and Montrose was upgraded from narrow gauge to standard gauge and Ridgway continued to be a shipping point until the line to Montrose was abandoned in 1976 as result of a reservoir being built on the Uncompahgre River.

As of the census[7] of 2000, there were 713 people, 285 households, and 190 families residing in the town. The population density was 356.1 people per square mile (137.6/km²). There were 318 housing units at an average density of 158.8/sq mi (61.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 94.25% White, 1.82% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.70% from other races, and 2.95% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.77% of the population.
    There were 285 households out of which 38.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.5% were married couples living together, 10.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.0% were non-families. 24.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 2.97.
    In the town the population was spread out with 28.8% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 34.2% from 25 to 44, 26.6% from 45 to 64, and 5.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 102.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.4 males.
    The median income for a household in the town was $40,903, and the median income for a family was $45,208. Males had a median income of $31,597 versus $26,250 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,084. About 3.2% of families and 4.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.9% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.

Among Ridgway's population there are an assortment of recognizable and famous people.
    1) Charles W. "Charlie" Ergen (born May 1, 1953) is the co-founder and CEO of EchoStar Communications Corporation, the parent company of Dish Network.
    2) Ralph Lauren (born Ralph Lifschitz on October 14, 1939) is an American fashion designer and business executive.
    3) William Dennis Weaver June 4, 1924February 24, 2006) was an Emmy Award-winning American actor, best known for his work in television, including roles as sidekick Chester Goode from 1955 to 1964 on TV's first "adult Western" Gunsmoke, as Marshal Sam McCloud on the NBC police drama McCloud, which ran from 1970 to 1977, and as the protagonist in Steven Spielberg's feature-length directorial debut, the cult TV movie Duel in 1971. He attended the University of Oklahoma, where he studied drama and also was a track star, setting records in several events. He served as a pilot in the United States Navy during the Second World War.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sir John Winthrop Hackett Senior (4 February 184819 February 1916) was a proprietor of several newspapers in Western Australia and later a politician.
    Winthrop was the eldest child of the Rev. J. W. Hackett, M.A., and his wife, Jane, a daughter of Henry M. Mason, LL.D. He was born in the county of Dublin, Ireland and was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, where he graduated B.A. in 1871 and M.A. in 1874. He was called to the Irish bar, but almost at once emigrated to Sydney, Australia, where he was called to the New South Wales bar in 1875. He took up journalism and contributed to the Sydney Morning Herald, but in the following year went to Melbourne to become vice-principal and tutor in law, logic and political economy, at Trinity College. He also contributed to The Age. In 1880 he was a candidate for Normanby at an election for the Victorian Legislative Assembly as an advanced liberal, but was so badly defeated that he lost his deposit.
    At a later election he was opposed to John Madden and this time lost by only a small margin. In 1882 he resigned his positions at Trinity College and went to Western Australia. He became a squatter in the Gascoyne district, but his first season was a bad one and he decided to give up the land. He joined forces with Charles Harper, the proprietor of The West Australian, and very soon his influence on this paper began to be felt. The Western Mail (Western Australia) was established in 1885 and both papers became prosperous. In 1887 Hackett became editor of The West Australian and strongly advocated responsible government. Western Australia received its constitution in 1890, and Alexander Forrest selected Hackett as the first man to be asked to join the nominee Western Australian Legislative Council. The population of the colony was still under 50,000 but it was beginning to rise, and the discovery of gold accelerated this very much. The papers grew with the population and became very valuable properties. Hackett as editor was writing a daily leading article, and was also the business manager.
    In 1894 he was elected to the legislative council as representative of the South-western province and held this seat until his death. He had been a delegate to the 1891 federal convention, he was also a delegate in 1897, and was appointed a member of the constitutional committee. He was asked to join more than one ministry, but had to decline as it was impossible for him to add to the work he was already doing. He was also of opinion that as a newspaper editor he would no longer be able to speak with the same freedom if he were in office. He advocated women's suffrage, and Western Australia was one of the earliest countries to give women the vote. He also strongly supported Forrest in his development policy, in the building of the pipe line to the goldfields, and the making of Fremantle harbour. He was interesting himself very much in the Perth public library, museums, and national gallery of which he became president, and also in the proposed university. He was a prominent member of the Church of England holding the offices of registrar of the diocese and chancellor of St George's cathedral. He declined a knighthood in 1902 but accepted it in 1911, and two years later was created K.C.M.G.
    In 1905, Hackett married a woman 39 years his junior, Deborah Drake-Brockman (later known as Lady Deborah Hackett, Lady Deborah Moulden and Dr Deborah Buller Murphy, 1887-1965). They had four daughters and a son, John Winthrop Hackett Junior (later prominent as a General in the British Army).
    The University of Western Australia opened in 1913 with Hackett as its first chancellor, and he gave it its first substantial private contribution when he endowed the chair of agriculture. His partner, Charles Harper, had died in 1912, and Hackett was now in complete control of their papers. He went on working to the day of his death. Hackett's health began to fail in 1915 and he took a trip to the eastern states which appeared to have benefited him. He, however, died suddenly on 19 February 1916 of a heart condition.
    He was given the honorary degree of LL.D. by Trinity College, Dublin in 1902. Under his will a bequest to the Church of England paid for the building of St George's College, the first residential college within the University of Western Australia. The residue of his estate went to the university which received the sum of £425,000. £200,000 of this with accrued interest was used for the erection of a group of buildings which include Winthrop Hall and the student's building, Hackett Hall. Another £200,000 provides scholarships, bursaries and other financial help for deserving students.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marcia Yockey was a local weather caster in Evansville, Indiana. She debuted on WFIE Channel 14 in 1953, after 10 years of working for the National Weather Service.
    Over the course of her 35-year career, she bounced around from WFIE Channel 14 and WTVW Channel 7 before finally retiring in 1988.[1] She quit one station because she didn't like a new theme song they picked. Another time she gave notice when her bosses cancelled her annual July 4th televised swim after the forecast.
    Channel 14 newscaster Mike Blake recalled the veteran weather-woman's habit of going beyond her allotted time. Blake, becoming impatient from the sidelines asked for Yockey to hurry it up. Yockey, in full view and hearing of the television audience, responded with "Keep it up, Sports, and you'll never get on."[2]
    A resident of Newburgh, she reached star status for her forecasting skill, irreverent attitude, and colorful personality. She died in 2000 at the age of 77 after suffering for several years from Alzheimer's Disease.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hawthorns station is a railway station and tram stop, opened in 1995 in Sandwell, England, very near the border with Birmingham. The station serves both Midland Metro (opened 1999) and the third cross city line from Leamington Spa to Kidderminster via Birmingham Snow Hill, operated by London Midland. The station shares its name with the local football ground, The Hawthorns, the home of West Bromwich Albion F.C., which it serves.
    The station sits on part of the site once occupied by The Hawthorns Halt which was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1931, on their line from Birmingham Snow Hill to Wolverhampton Low Level. It served football specials and as such was not deemed worthy of 'station' status. It was comprised of three platforms: platform 3 catering for return travel to Stourbridge, with platforms 1 and 2 being sited the other side of Halfords Lane. The halt closed in 1968.
    Pedestrian and vehicular access is via Halfords Lane.
    Its passenger numbers are assisted with free parking and its close proximity to Junction 1 of the M5.

[edit] External links

Preceding tram stop Midland Metro Following tram stop Handsworth, Booth Street Line 1 Kenrick Park Preceding station National Rail Following station Jewellery Quarter London Midland
    Snow Hill-Worcester Smethwick Galton Bridge Jewellery Quarter Chiltern Railways
    London-Kidderminster
    Peak hours only Smethwick Galton Bridge Disused Railways Handsworth and Smethwick Great Western Railway
    Later British Rail
    Birmingham-Wolverhampton (1931-1968) West Bromwich

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rea Tajiri is a Japanese American video artist and filmmaker.
    She was born in Chicago, Illinois. She earned a BFA degree (1980) and an MFA degree (1982) from California Institute of the Arts[1] and worked as a producer on various film and video projects in Los Angeles and New York.
    Tajiri's video art has been included in the 1989, 1991, and 1993 Whitney Biennials. She has also been exhibited at The New Museum for Contemporary Art, The Museum of Modern Art, The Guggenheim Museum, The Walker Art Museum and the Pacific Film Archives.
    History and Memory: For Akiko and Takashige (1991) was Tajiri's personal essay documentary about the Japanese American internment. It premiered at the 1991 Whitney Biennial and won the Distinguished Achievement Award from the International Documentary Association. It also was awarded a Special Jury Prize: "New Visions Category" at the San Francisco International Film Festival in 1992, and won "Best Experimental Video," Atlanta Film and Video Festival, 1992. In 1993 she made Yuri Kochiyama: Passion for Justice, a documentary about the Nisei Japanese American human rights activist. Tajiri co-produced the documentary with Pat Saunders.
    She partnered with Japanese Canadian author Kerri Sakamoto to write a coming-of-age story about a Japanese American girl in Chicago in the 1970s, resulting in Strawberry Fields, shot in 1994 with funding from CPB, NEA, and ITVS. The film stars Suzy Nakamura, James Sie, Chris Tashima and Takayo Fischer, and was completed in 1997, screening at the San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival and the Los Angeles Film Festival. It also was selected to the Venice International Film Festival and won the Grand Prix at the Fukuoka Asian Film Festival[2].
    Tajiri's father, Vincent Tajiri was the Photo Editor for Playboy Magazine during the 50's and 60's, her uncle, Shinkichi Tajiri is a prominent sculptor who resides in the Netherlands.
    Tajiri continues to live and work in New York. She has taught filmmaking at Temple University, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and SUNY Purchase. Her work is in distributed by Women Make Movies, Electronic Arts Intermix and is available on Netlfix.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlie Kerins (23 January 19181 December 1944) was a member and leader of the IRA.
    Kerins was born in Caherina, Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland and attended Balloonagh Mercy Convent School and then the CBS, Edward Street. At the age of 13, he won a Kerry County Council scholarship and completed his secondary education at the Green Christian Brothers and the Jeffers Institute. In 1920, Kerins passed the Intermediate Certificate with honours and the matriculation examination to the NUI. He later did a commercial course and took up employment in a radio business in Tralee.
    Kerins was also active in the Gaelic Athletic Association and in 1939 won a county medal in football with his local team, O'Rahilly's, now renamed the Kerins O'Rahilly's in his honour.
    In 1940, Kerins joined the IRA, being appointed to the GHQ staff in May 1942. Following the capture of Hugh McAteer in October 1942, Kerins became Chief of Staff of the IRA.
    On the morning of September 9 Sergeant Dennis O'Brien was leaving his home. He was between his front gate and his car when he was hit with a hail of bullets. O'Brien had been himself a member of the IRA until 1933, when he was in a group of IRA members which joined the police, at the time when De Valera had newly come to power and the IRA were his allies against the Fascist Blueshirts. Within a few years, however, O'Brien became deeply involved in hunting down his former IRA comrades-in-arms - who considered him a despicable traitor. He was a member of the Special Branch Division of the Garda Siochána, which had its headquarters at Dublin Castle. This unit was referred to as the Broy Harriers as they were led by Ned Broy (see Michael Collins (film)). The 'Broy Harriers', had been successful in distrupting IRA attempts to cooperate with Nazi Germany.
    Kerins had previously left papers and guns hidden the house of Dr Kathleen Farrell in the Dublin suburb of Rathmines. He telephoned the house, as he intented to retrieve them. The telephone was tapped. On 15 June 1944, Kerins was arrested in an early morning raid, by the Garda Siochána. He was sleeping when they entered his bedroom, so he did not have an opportunity to use the Thompson submachine gun under his bed.
    At a special military tribunal in Collins Barracks, Dublin established under emergency legislation, Kerins was put on trial on 2 October 1944 for the "shooting at Rathfarnam of Detective Dinny O’Brien" outside his house at Ballyboden, Rathfarnham, Dublin on 9 September 1942. Refusing to recognize the court, Kerins was found guilty on October 8 and sentenced to death by hanging. Some republicans have alleged that the trial was marked by severe legal irregularities.
    Despite legal moves initiated by Seán MacBride, public protests, and parliamentary intervention by TDs from Clann na Talmhan, Labour, and Independent Oliver J. Flanagan, ([1] [2] [3] [4]) in Leinster House, the Fianna Fáil government of Éamon de Valera refused to issue a reprieve. On 1 December 1944 in Mountjoy Prison, Kerins was hanged by the executioner Pierrepoint, brought over to Ireland by the government for the execution.
    Kerins was then buried in the prison yard. In September 1948, his remains were exhumed and released to his family. He is buried in the Republican Plot at Rath Cemetery, Tralee, Co Kerry.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schefflera costata is a species of plant in the Araliaceae family. It is endemic to Fiji.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweden was originally a plural form of Swede and is a so-called "back-formation", from Old English Sweoðeod, which meant "people of the Swedes" (Old Norse Svíþjóð, Latin Suetidi). This word is derived from Sweon/Sweonas (Old Norse Sviar, Latin Suiones). As the name for the country itself, Sweden is borrowed from Dutch Zweden, which is probably the dative case of Zwede. It appeared in Scots during the 17th century in forms such as Swethin and Swadne. Before this, Sweden was called Swedeland, and in Old English it was called Sweoland (see Svealand) or Sweorice (Old Norse Sviariki, which is an older form of the modern Swedish name for the country, Sverige).
    In Sweden, the form Swerike is attested from the end of the 13th century, Svearike, from the 14th century, as well as the Icelandic Svíaríki and the Old Gutnish Suiariki. In those days the meaning was restricted to the older Swedish region in Svealand and did not always include Götaland, the land of the Geats.
    Towards the end of the 15th century, the form had changed to Swerighe both in Swedish and Danish, like bakare ("baker") to bagare and mik ("me") to mig. Finally in the 17th century, forms such as Swerghe and Swirghe appeared. Gustavus Adolphus used the form Swirge.
    Today, the pronunciation has changed the form further and it is pronounced /ˈsvær.jə/ in modern Swedish, while the late medieval form Sverige is used in writing.
    Much is made about the difference between the medieval forms Svearike and Sverige. Although, medieval Swedes were unlikely to see it as anything else but a matter of pronunciation. There is, however, an alternative hypothesis, first proposed by Ivar Modéer, and later popularized by the Swedish author Jan Guillou that the form is a loan from the Danish form of Sverike (Sverige). The objective is to separate the two forms as two different concepts, and today Svearike has formal connotations, and may even be used to treat Iron Age-Medieval Svearike as a different nation from the later Sverige.
    Notably, a naming that stems from a completely different root is the one used in some Finno-Ugric languages, in Finnish Ruotsi, in Estonian Rootsi, etc..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coleman Square is the small plaza at the Howard Beach-JFK station on the IND Rockaway Line of the New York City Subway (served by the A train) and the AirTrain JFK station in the neighborhood of Howard Beach, Queens. Officially, it is the Bernard Coleman Memorial Square, and there is a memorial to Servicemen from Howard Beach who died in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War.
    Stores include a pizza place, Chinese restaurant, barber shop, beauty salon, deli and butcher, dry cleaners, taxi stand, convenience store, liquor store, pub, laundromat, hardware store, and a bagel store. Specifically, some of these are:
    • The Rail, Pub
    • Sal's Deli / Butcher Shop
    • Howard Taxi
    • Neighborhood Pizza
    Coleman Square is a short walk will from the offices of NYC Councilman Joseph Addabbo, Jr., Esq. Additionally, there is a small VFW post on 160th Avenue.
    The Airtrain provides access at the Jamaica LIRR station on Sutphin Boulevard, Jamaica, NY; Howard Beach, and JFK Airport. A number of Howard Beach residents are using the AirTrain JFK to commute to Jamaica and/or pick up other Subway lines at the Jamaica Long Island Rail Road Station.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Battle of Vella Lavella (Japanese: 第二次ベララベラ海戦) was a naval battle of the Pacific campaign of World War II fought on the night of October 6, 1943, near the island of Vella Lavella in the Solomon Islands.
    Contents

[hide]

[edit] Background

After their defeats on New Georgia and in the Battle of Vella Gulf, the Japanese had evacuated their garrisons in the central Solomons. A staging post had been established at Horaniu on the north tip of Vella Lavella for the evacuation barges. In October 1943, six hundred soldiers remained, and a force of nine destroyers (Fumitsuki, Matsukaze, Yunagi, Akigumo, Isokaze, Kazegumo, Yugumo, Shigure, Samidare) was dispatched under Rear-Admiral Matsuji Ijuin to rescue them.

[edit] Battle

At 22:30 they spotted a U.S. force of three destroyers (USS Selfridge, USS Chevalier, USS O'Bannon) commanded by Captain Frank R. Walker, approaching from Vella Gulf. A second division of three U.S. destroyers (USS Ralph Talbot, USS Taylor, and USS La Vallette) was also sailing up the west coast of Vella Lavella. Walker did not wait for his other three destroyers to come up but attacked immediately. Both sides launched torpedoes and opened fire at about 23:00.
    Yugumo, first in the Japanese line, was hit several times, knocking out her steering, and she was finished off by a torpedo and sunk at about 23:10. However, one of her torpedoes hit the Chevalier, detonating the forward magazine. O'Bannon then collided with the crippled Chevalier, and for some time the two ships were locked together. Selfridge attacked alone and was hit by a torpedo at 23:06 and disabled. All three ships were severely damaged, and reinforcements still fifteen minutes away. However, the rest of the Japanese turned away, having perhaps misidentified the three approaching destroyers as cruisers.

[edit] Aftermath

The Chevalier could not be saved and was sunk around 03:00. The Japanese completed their evacuation mission, ending the second phase of Operation Cartwheel with the Allied capture of the central Solomons after a three-month campaign that cost the Allies six ships and the Japanese sixteen.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In enzymology, a galactosylgalactosylglucosylceramidase (EC 3.2.1.47) is an enzyme that catalyzes the chemical reaction
    D-galactosyl-D-galactosyl-D-glucosyl-N-acylsphingosine + H2O D-galactose + lactosyl-N-acylsphingosine Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are D-galactosyl-D-galactosyl-D-glucosyl-N-acylsphingosine and H2O, whereas its two products are D-galactose and lactosyl-N-acylsphingosine.
    This enzyme belongs to the family of hydrolases, specifically those glycosidases that hydrolyse O- and S-glycosyl compounds. The systematic name of this enzyme class is D-galactosyl-D-galactosyl-D-glucosyl-N-acylsphingosine galactohydrolase. Other names in common use include trihexosyl ceramide galactosidase, ceramide trihexosidase, ceramidetrihexoside alpha-galactosidase, trihexosylceramide alpha-galactosidase, and ceramidetrihexosidase.

[edit] References

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harris is a township in the Canadian province of Ontario. Located within the Timiskaming District, Harris is located directly east of the city of Temiskaming Shores on the northern shore of Lake Timiskaming.
    The township had a population of 512 in the Canada 2006 Census.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christopher John Dodd (born May 27, 1944) is an American lawyer and politician from Willimantic, Connecticut who is currently serving as a Democrat in the U.S. Senate.
    Dodd served as a U.S. Representative from Connecticut from 1975 until 1981, when he became a U.S. Senator. He served as general chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1995 to 1997. He is now the state's senior Senator. He currently serves as Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee.[1]
    Currently Dodd is not only the longest-serving Senator in Connecticut's history, but also 14th most senior of current Senators and one of just three from 1980 freshman class, who are still serving (the others were Republicans Arlen Specter and Chuck Grassley).
    [edit] Early life and education

Dodd was born in Willimantic, Connecticut. His parents were Grace Mary Dodd née Murphy and U.S. Senator Thomas Joseph Dodd; all eight of his great-grandparents were born in Ireland.[3] Dodd is a Roman Catholic. He is the fifth of six children;[4] his eldest brother, Thomas J. Dodd Jr., is an emeritus professor of the School of Foreign Service of Georgetown University, and served as the U.S. ambassador to Uruguay and Costa Rica under President Bill Clinton.
    Dodd attended Georgetown Preparatory School, a Jesuit boys' school in Bethesda, Maryland. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in English Literature from Providence College in 1966. He served as a Peace Corps volunteer in a small rural town in the Dominican Republic until 1968. While there, he became fluent in Spanish. [5] Dodd then joined the U.S. Army Reserve, and served until 1975.
    In 1972, Dodd earned a Juris Doctor at the University of Louisville, where he served as vice magistrate of the law school's student body. The following year, he was admitted to the Connecticut bar, and began practicing law in New London.

[edit] U.S. Congressman

Dodd was part of the "Watergate class of '74" which CNN pundit David Gergen credited with bringing "a fresh burst of liberal energy to the Capitol."[6] Elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Connecticut's second congressional district, and reelected twice, he served from January 4, 1975 to January 3, 1981. During his tenure in the U.S. House, he served on the House Select Committee on Assassinations.

[edit] U.S. Senator

Dodd was elected to the Senate in the 1980 election and was subsequently reelected in the 1986, 1992, 1998, and 2004 elections. He is the first Senator from Connecticut to serve five consecutive terms. From 1995 to 1997, he served as General Chairman of the Democratic National Committee. As General Chairman, Dodd was the DNC's spokesman. Donald Fowler served as National Chairman, running the party's day to day operations.
    The Center for Public Integrity has criticized Dodd for "being the leading advocate in the Senate on behalf of the accounting industry."[7][8] Political consultant and commentator Dick Morris wrote that Dodd had received more from accounting firm Arthur Andersen than any other Democrat and bore responsibility for trying to shield accounting firms from investor fraud liability in cases such as the Enron scandal.[9]
    Dodd briefly considered running for President in 2004, but ultimately decided against such a campaign. He was also considered a possible candidate for replacing Tom Daschle as Senate Minority Leader in 109th Congress, but he declined, and that position was instead filled by Harry Reid.

[edit] Personal life

In July 1970, Dodd married Susan Mooney; they divorced in October 1982. Afterwards, he dated at different times Bianca Jagger, Erin Carter, and Carrie Fisher.[21] In 1999, he married his second wife, Jackie Marie Clegg, who is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The couple has two daughters, Grace (born September 2001) and Christina Dodd (born May 2005).
    Dodd lives in East Haddam when Congress is not in session.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ OK...who are you, and of what use is all this information?

To the original poster: come off your high horse. If people don't see the way you do, fine. Go on, but don't come off making them sound like peons compared to your greatness. There is a difference between sounding mature and sounding arrogant. You've achieved the latter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    i am god, and these facts are facets of my being.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    i am god, and these facts are facets of my being.
    Seriously, you seem to be doing little more than spamming on this thread. Is there a valid, topic-related purpose to these?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, you seem to be doing little more than spamming on this thread. Is there a valid, topic-related purpose to these?
    yes; i seek to enlighten all of my followers.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever considered putting all this topic-unrelated information on one separate thread? That way, the people who wish to know what you say can find in in one place, and the rest of us don't run into it when we're trying to follow something else.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. Found it on another forum, I think. There's a list.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the original poster: come off your high horse. If people don't see the way you do, fine. Go on, but don't come off making them sound like peons compared to your greatness. There is a difference between sounding mature and sounding arrogant. You've achieved the latter.
    But do you know what I'm talking about...?

Read the "Immanence" discussion threads in Non-socionics type theories.

As for Niffweed, ...I wonder, could his claim to deification be true? Could Niff be a diety in the making, who will live on in others minds -- verily, even be a basis for the contrasting of sin against virtue -- long after he is "gone"? Are not the gods of today just that: raitionale to avoid causing trouble to others on the promise of longevity? "And because you did not keep my commandments..."

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've recently come to consider despite the woeful limitations of what have proven to be my determined enemies (see http://yggdraunion.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Rants_thread and http://yggdraunion.wikia.com/wiki/Speculations), that I have no pity at all for them. Rather, I see their decrept minds as virii in the collective +Fe atmosphere, to be fought against and if possible, extinguished. Like virii their prospects are as limited as their psyches... that I can tell, they exist only to afflict the larger human organism.

If you come from the left, there will always be people coming from the right. Up, down, whatever. A plethora of possible perspectives percolate practically prompting a plentitude of patience and philanthropic perspicacity. So don't go giving up on them either.

Living means misunderstanding and, yes, being misunderstood. You can lessen the blow but that's probably the best you can do.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    If you come from the left, there will always be people coming from the right. Up, down, whatever. A plethora of possible perspectives percolate practically prompting a plentitude of patience and philanthropic perspicacity. So don't go giving up on them either.

Living means misunderstanding and, yes, being misunderstood. You can lessen the blow but that's probably the best you can do.
    I appreciate your commentary but, I still don't know what to do about them except to try to repress them. If someone has it in for me and my ideas, what do I do? How do I feel safe from them?

Let's not beat around the bush, now: if someone thinks another person's ideas are threatening to overcome their own integrity then they will project feelings of danger and apprehension onto that person and, if they have any self-confidence at all, try to stop them. Just because we are stronger than that doesn't mean there are not those out there who aren't. (the history of persecution on basis of ideas would seem to suggest otherwise.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    An ENFp's prayer: God, please help me to keep my mind on one th-look a bird-ing at a time.
    Nice sig.
    But that person was able to complete the sentence, so they are not so bad as some of my.... And how do you break up the word 'thing' into two syllables like that? Oh, well.

Also, niff, I believe this is relevant:

Cucurbitaceae is a plant family commonly known as gourds or cucurbits and includes crops like cucumbers, squashes (including pumpkins), luffas, melons and watermelons. The family is predominately distributed around the tropics, where those with edible fruits were amongst the earliest cultivated plants in both the Old and New Worlds.

Most of the plants in this family are annual vines but there are also woody lianas, thorny shrubs, and trees (Dendrosicyos). Many species have large, yellow or white flowers. The stems are hairy and pentangular. tendrils are present at 90' to the leaf petioles at nodes. Leaves are exstipulate alternate simple palmately lobed or palmately compound.The flowers are unisexual, with male and female flowers usually on different plants (dioecious), or less common on the same plant (monoecious). The female flowers have inferior ovaries. The fruit is often a kind of berry called a pepo.

Because melons are good! And my cat likes to eat them.
    ENFP

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*looks around* Well, if you can't beat 'em and you don't want to join 'em, you find somewhere more suitable.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.