Thread: INFPs and emotional manipulation

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INFPs and emotional manipulation

It seems that INFps have the capability to manipulate other peoples' attitudes towards each other. Any Experiences with this?

An extreme example is of course ****** and is hate mongering.

Much more positive examples are writers, such as Selman Rushdie, Shakespeare, etc.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been guilty of this, plenty of times, but more in the past than now. I loved the power I felt when I could change someone's mood or emotions towards me or others. It was very unhealthy and destructive in the end though. This is why I can not really trust other IEIs b/c I know exactly what they are capable of... but I find that Fe dominant types are even better at this emotional manipulation as well, albeit more obvious (to me) IEIs are a lot more backhanded ... can't speak for SEIs though, I do not think they are emotionally manipulative like IEIs are.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    well emotional manipulation is a bad side of period. it doesn't only apply to IEIs IMO.

but yeah, IEIs are capable of smoothing things over, riling things up, making someone feel really good emotionally, making someone feel like shit emotionally, etc..... and they can be disingenuous and play both sides, being "manipulative" and mindfucking people, but that's when they're at their worst, I think.
    When they're at their worst, they are drama queens with Histrionic Personality Disorder. Same for ISFps
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    I've been guilty of this, plenty of times, but more in the past than now. I loved the power I felt when I could change someone's mood or emotions towards me or others. It was very unhealthy and destructive in the end though. This is why I can not really trust other IEIs b/c I know exactly what they are capable of... but I find that Fe dominant types are even better at this emotional manipulation as well, albeit more obvious (to me) IEIs are a lot more backhanded ... can't speak for SEIs though, I do not think they are emotionally manipulative like IEIs are.
    no, all Fe people are able to manipulate emotions, but in general i see this happening only with one person with INFps. I also think that ESFjs or ENFjs can only work with groups of people's feelings, not one person's feelings towards another person. my own life experience has only included Fi dominants that were able to make an ExTj or an IxTp dislike someone they disliked. Tx types are manipulated according to the Fx they are looking for. The Fx person tells them how they "should" feel.

but.. i do think that this might not pan out because i have seen ExTjs very easily succumb to crowd behavior.. as always it seems as if the behavior itself is not completely explaining the differences between functions (and their effect on others)

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The most unusual thing I ever stole? A snowman. Midnight. He looked magnificent; a tall, white mute beneath the winter moon. I wanted him, a mate with a mind as cold as the slice of ice within my own brain. I started with the head.

Better off dead than giving in, not taking what you want. He weighed a ton; his torso, frozen stiff, hugged to my chest, a fierce chill piercing my gut. Part of the thrill was knowing that children would cry in the morning. Life's tough.

Sometimes I steal things I don't need. I joy-ride cars to nowhere, break into houses just to have a look.I'm a mucky ghost, leave a mess, maybe pinch a camera. I watch my gloved hand twisting the doorknob. A stranger's bedroom. Mirrors. I sigh like this - Aah.

It took some time. Reassembled in the yard, he didn't look the same. I took a run and booted him. Again. Again. My breath ripped out in rags. It seems daft now. Then I was standing alone among lumps of snow, sick of the world.

Boredom. Mostly I'm so bored I could eat myself. One time, I stole a guitar and thought I might learn to play. I nicked a bust of Shakespeare once, flogged it, but the snowman was the strangest. You don't understand a word I'm saying, do you?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian View Post
    It seems that INFps have the capability to manipulate other peoples' attitudes towards each other. Any Experiences with this?

An extreme example is of course ****** and is hate mongering.

Much more positive examples are writers, such as Selman Rushdie, Shakespeare, etc.
    Most socionists agree ****** was EIE.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    Hahahahaha, does anyone else see the humor in this?
    yes...

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    Hahahahaha, does anyone else see the humor in this?
    Hehe.... maybe? Are you just saying that manipulating people can never be done for good?
    Suomea

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we reviewed a lot of events in China, like, the cultural revolution and other things under Mao, there was a lot of negative ni+fe on display.

I can say in terms of IRL, I have had a lot more problematic experience with ENFjs in terms of emotional manipulation, as opposed to their mirrors. But that's just my experience. So I will say no, not all INFps are evil, or anything silly like that.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Creepy-Cyclops

I think INFp's seen externally vulnerable. But internally they have a strength which is always very suprising.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this whole 'emotional manipulation' thing is exaggerated. It's usually just an INFp's way of slapping someone, retaliating to an offence, and usually the offender deserves it (i.e. if you ever gossip/talk shit about an INFp behind his/her back it usually has a funny way of eventually getting back to us and when it does we make you feel like you made us feel). If you don't want to be emotionally manipulated then don't fuck with INFps lol
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian View Post
    It seems that INFps have the capability to manipulate other peoples' attitudes towards each other.
    *nods* It feels a bit like being a moderator, letting everybody just be themselves as long as they don't overwhelm anyone else's right to be themselves. I don't tell anyone what to think or feel, but will attempt to "correct" (moderate) behaviour when two people aren't balanced. It usually works by letting someone see things from a different perspective.

For instance, my grandfather suffers from dementia (pretty severe already), but my grandmother cannot accept that and doesn't know how to deal with it, which annoys the hell out of my mother. So, my mother is continuously trying to beat some "sense" into her and my grandmother always tries to deny it, coming up with all kinds of other "random" explanations. (I think they have a supervisor relationship.) For instance, when my grandfather is disoriented and restless, to my mom that's a symptom of dementia, but to my gran it's the character of his father showing up or something. Anyway, they were both totally frustrated and hurt, so I explained to my mom that gran is simply having difficulty to say goodbye to the man she has lived with for more than 50 years, which you can tell when we all go visit him (he lives in a home); when we're about to leave she always lets someone else take him back to his room or to the dinner table and never does that herself. And now my mother is showing a lot more patience and they're both feeling a lot better. There's still some frustration from time to time since neither has given up their feelings and their thoughts about the whole thing, but generally they are more relaxed. And my grandmother does know he has dementia, because, expressed in her own words, "he tends to forget things". I keep my mother up to date on things like that.

I've done stuff like this for as long as I can remember. As a kid on the school playground I could let all kinds of different cliques accept each other to play some game together and stuff.

Another example is this: "Well, obviously you don't really like him very much, which is fine, we can't all get along with everyone, but your constantly pointing that out is making him less useful to us than he normally would be, since it obviously distracts him and he's getting less work done than he normally would."

I think this is an example of how strong Fi is used by an INFp without actually valuing it. Personally I don't really care about how people think of each other, but I do care about how they treat each other. Hmm, actually I do care about how they think of each other, but less so than how they treat each other.