Thread: INFp/ENFp?

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INFp/ENFp?

I'm starting to have doubts about being ENFp. Just came back from a party, and I hardly spoke much. Partly because I don't really know some of the people there, and partly because I'm too used to being quiet. I realized that during these long quiet moments I tend to be rather reflective. Ni > Ne? I would suppose that most ENFp would be the heart and soul of the party, but I am probably a stark opposite. I was so quiet that someone I hardly knew asked me why I was so stoned. After awhile the quietness became uncomfortable and rather awkward.

Reasons why I'm so quiet:

1)My whole family are introverts.

2)My mum is my conflictor --> difficult family life

3)Being an immature teenager --> undeveloped social skills

I guess what I can do is work on the social skills, but I seriously prefer one on one conversations, if I do feel like talking at all. Most of the time I don't so it's freakin' awkward.

INFp? ENFp? Any comments?
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBlade View Post
    I'm starting to have doubts about being ENFp. Just came back from a party, and I hardly spoke much. Partly because I don't really know some of the people there, and partly because I'm too used to being quiet. I realized that during these long quiet moments I tend to be rather reflective. Ni > Ne? I would suppose that most ENFp would be the heart and soul of the party, but I am probably a stark opposite. I was so quiet that someone I hardly knew asked me why I was so stoned. After awhile the quietness became uncomfortable and rather awkward.

3)Being an immature teenager --> undeveloped social skills

I guess what I can do is work on the social skills, but I seriously prefer one on one conversations, if I do feel like talking at all. Most of the time I don't so it's freakin' awkward.

INFp? ENFp? Any comments?
    What you are telling about what happened, is not contrary to being ENFp: the view outlined here is that extroversion is a social quality. Well, it is in Big 5, and Eysenk's style of extroversion, and many MBTI-writers are also more focussed on the social aspects of extroversion. However, Jungian extroversion is not about social extroversion, but about the attitude of mind: do you focus more on the outer world, or on the inner world? To explain this further: a person could typically be shy because he focuses too much on other people, and what they might think about you (this phenomenon is called 'other-directedness'). This focus on other people is still a form of extroversion in the Jungian sense, despite involving shyness or social clumsiness.

A Jungian introverted person, however, often is not really shy, they just don't care much about what others might think of them. E.g. on Si types, Jung writes that these types could have the effect on other people that they feel bereft of their value as a person, make them feel that they don't exist.

Shyness in ENFPs could be caused by not feeling well in a specific group. You could be in a situation that has attracted a specific kind of people, that are not your kind of people. This is where quadra values come in, but it could also be something else, e.g. you are a person of average intelligenge amongst a group of high-IQ people, or vice versa. You don't share values, so you don't fit in. Happens to me all the time.

Now note that each person, according to Jung, MBTI and Socioncs has a secondary function that has the opposite attitude (extroversion/introversion) compared to the the leading function. So turning inwards into a state of reflection for an extrovert is actually quite good, whereas a person that only uses their main function can be considered quite unbalanced.

Perhaps it helps to do what I did: I read Psychological Types by Carl Jung, and the only function I never had any trouble with understanding, was Ne. So read the chapter on Ne and Ni, and decide what you are based on which one is the easiest to understand. I must admint: I don't know if this will really work in your case.
    Last edited by consentingadult; 02-09-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt IEE. Definitely a Ni appreciating type from what I see of yours posts so far.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBlade View Post

I think that would actually make you "more" extroverted, to compensate.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

" I doubt IEE. Definitely a Ni appreciating type from what I see of yours posts so far."

Really? What exactly did I say to make you think I was an Ni type?

Why not IEE
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBlade
    That makes your mother ISTj? If so you being INFp would mean change that to your activator. Or do you believe she can be an ESTj? What quadra values suite her and yourself?