Thread: Chuang Zi

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, out of all the Taoists (and noting that my only exposure are translations), he was by far my favorite out of the three moments of Taoism I studied (Yang Chu, Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu). I especially liked the story of when his wife has died and a friend comes to comfort him and finds him laughing/singing/etc. I'll have to try to find an exact passage. Fung Yu-Lan did a pretty good job of explicating them, in my opinion. At least in so far as they were somewhat comprehensible (though you seem to say that the academic traditions are far and away from their subject).
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posting in an ancient thread here...

Chuang-Tzu seems ILE to me. Very alpha in his interactions, light hearted and a jokester. Sharp in judgements of concepts, speaks broadly and generally. As opposed to Lao-Tzu (who seems ILI-Ni) he's more focused on ''the present moment'' and enjoying life, he's not as ''goal oriented''. I see clear dominance in his allegorical argumentation.

I would be interested to hear you guys' opinion on various sayings and allegories attributed to Master Chuang.

“The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him?”
    and ?

“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
    Clear

“Flow with whatever may happen, and let your mind be free: Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.”
    valuing? Perhaps some ?
    “When the heart is right, "for" and "against" are forgotten.”

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chuang Zi - ISTJ - Maxim Gorky

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ego type? PoLR? I don't see it tbh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using his text as a basis, what do you people think his type is?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuangzi_(book)

I'm still thinking ILE. Definite alpha IMO