Thread: Your thoughts about "society"

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your thoughts about "society"

Gammas, please describe your thoughts and attitudes about society and concepts related to it. There are no right or wrong answers, obviously, as long as the poster believes him/herself to be Gamma and is writing about his/her own thoughts on the subject.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I see it as something of a necessary evil. Perhaps "evil" is too strong a word, but generally see the development of a group mentality as irritating at best. Social norms, societal expectations, etc. are among my least favorite issues to confront. I find them horribly invasive for the most part. People should think for themselves and form their own values and never do anything just because others are doing it or because others want them to do it.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...nor is it any fun if Delta can't butt in.

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF is "society" supposed to mean?

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so·ci·e·ty /səˈsaɪɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[suh-sahy-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural -ties, adjective –noun

1.an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes. 2.a body of individuals living as members of a community; community. 3.the body of human beings generally, associated or viewed as members of a community: the evolution of human society. 4.a highly structured system of human organization for large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and a national identity for its members: American society. 5.such a system characterized by its dominant economic class or form: middle-class society; industrial society. 6.those with whom one has companionship. 7.companionship; company: to enjoy one's society. 8.the social life of wealthy, prominent, or fashionable persons. 9.the social class that comprises such persons. 10.the condition of those living in companionship with others, or in a community, rather than in isolation.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I put it in quotes is to because I wanted Gammas to feel free to define the subject as broadly as they'd like. It appears that they don't really care to discuss the subject though, and I can't say I blame them. Honestly, I was hoping to get something of a consensus from Gamma pretty much so I have a thread to link people to when they try to say that Gamma types have some sort of positive regard or concern for "society" or societal norms or standards.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel similarly. I think it's actually disrespectful and even insulting to think of individuals as being defined by their place in or relationship to a group. People should think for themselves and not even consider what "society" thinks they should be or do. Living in cooperation or interacting with others is one thing, giving consideration to the will of society is another.

There are always people who respond, "People should not do what they want, that's like saying that there is nothing wrong with hurting other people." I feel the complete opposite is true. Giving consideration to the expectations of others (supposed to's) is what creates people's concept of themselves as anything negative in the first place. People with a healthy, positive self concept independent of the expectations of others do not go around hurting other people. We respect the rights and individuality of others as much as we respect our own rights and individuality, no more and no less.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you said Gamma only, but here's the thing - aside from those who are really conservative, old-fashioned, you're probably not going to find many people who think that we should do what society 'says'. Marital status, kids, your job, what activities you enjoy in your free time. etc. are clearly personal choices and up to the individual.

But I think sometimes that people don't stop there, and fail to recognize those broader, more subtle things that we 'owe' to society - that is, the nation or group to which we belong and rely on for nearly everything of value to us.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to say anything new.

I think "society" is just the collection of structures, norms, laws etc that allow for a modern economy etc to function. I don't think of it in any grand, collective, abstract way.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!