Thread: Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs

who would do this? Ugh! I just saw him sink in bat poop and taste pureed mealworms. So icky!

quotes:

Most of the things I do brand wise are both missionary and mercenary in their position, and that's really important to me; that's one of the first things I look at when I say "does it make sense to do a deal?"

You've got a lot of very, very smart people standing by waiting for somebody else to do the work. Not a recipe for long-term solvency in my opinion.

We've waged war on work. We have collectively agreed, stupidly, that work is the enemy.

I wouldn't wish any specific thing for any specific person - it's none of my business. But the idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane. It's insane.

Dirt used to be a badge of honor. Dirt used to look like work. But we've scrubbed the dirt off the face of work, and consequently we've created this suspicion of anything that's too dirty.

My mother's dad dropped out of the eighth grade to work. He had to. By the time he was 30, he was a master electrician, plumber, carpenter, mason, mechanic. That guy was, to me, a magician. Anything that was broken, he could fix. Anybody anywhere in our community knew that if there was a problem, Carl was there to fix it.

'Dirty Jobs' is a fun, simple little show with huge themes under it. For me, it's penance, it's redemption, it's a sweaty mess.

It's funny; it's a real balancing act. In TV, everybody's talking about authenticity. In order to make 'Dirty Jobs' authentic, I really can't be overly informed. The minute I am, I become a host... It's a very tricky business paying a tribute to work, because TV is very bad at it.

Every bad joke, every endorsement deal, all of the things that a typical host would normally get creamed for, people don't mind, because they know I don't cheat when it comes to the work I actually try. I'm a lab rat. I'm a perpetual apprentice. The joke is on me if there is one.

Why does a chicken coop only have two doors? ... Because if it had four doors, it would be a chicken sedan.

Opportunity usually shows up in overalls and looking like work.

Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that’s consistent with those beliefs. Many people today resent the suggestion that they’re in charge of the way they feel.Those people are mistaken. That was a big lesson and I learned it several hundred times before it stuck. What you do, who you’re with, and how you feel about the world around you, is completely up to you.

Last edited by silke; 06-20-2016 at 04:46 AM. Reason: updated links
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

why isn't he SLE?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaknet View Post
    why isn't he SLE?
    Because he seems too Si. If you pay attention to the show, his sensory reactions and coping methods are all Si related, which also makes his method of delivery comical and relateable to Si-valuers, the main premise of the show.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always thought Fe-ENFj.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

he seems base to me.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been watching his show when I come across it and yeah, he's a pretty obvious LSE, an Si subtype if such exists
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mike Rowe

My tentative guess is ISTp.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTj?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fe-PoLR is a new one for me.

I believe he's Fe-ENFJ.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably EXFj. Reminds me of Dick Van Dyke in a way, I'm sure it's type-related.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enfj, Enfp? Extrovert intuitive ethics, not sure in which order though. Could be ese, pretty sure he's not introvert and definitely ethics over logic.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy is ego, that much is obvious.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    I believe he's Fe-ENFJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Probably EXFj. Reminds me of Dick Van Dyke in a way, I'm sure it's type-related.
    I'm sure Ashton would agree.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Htf do you suppose that?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very much agree.
    I've already mentioned I think he's LSE on another thread (can't be bothered to search for it atm) with the possibility of ESE but I doubt weak Te is likely, especially after watching some of his speech from the clip, I think it was Bolt, posted
    IMO the show Dirty Jobs is a good example of learning and applying Te skills in an Si manner
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

delta st > alpha sf...si intellectual

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about ese?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    IMO the show Dirty Jobs is a good example of learning and applying Te skills in an Si manner
    Te skills?

And what "Te skills" would those be? He comes off more conscious of and oriented to Fe to me, and very stereotypically Si-PoLR. Well, 'stereotypically' might be the wrong word since people are thinking he's Si for some strange reason. But definitely ENFJ > ESFJ > any Te ego.

My Ni-ENFJ dad also really digs his broad field of exhibition and loves his attitude and way of expression/connecting with his audience. Not basing it on that, but specifically seems like an Fe-ENFJ attitude to me that easily captures the attention of other Fe valuers. My dad, for one, shares the same globally applicable realism, humanitarian outlook and style of philosophy, that seems more Ni than anything else with a Ti-bent, and has an intrinsic kind of "big picture detachment" to it. Compare to what Si, Ne, or Te are said to focus on, or really what Delta STs are actually like. Coda: the list. Notice for one how none of them seem to value ? At least then we're getting somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    dude's SiNe, not Beta by a long stretch
    Such BS

I'm still curious about what people are seeing in him that's .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Te skills?

And what "Te skills" would those be? He comes off more conscious of and oriented to Fe to me, and very stereotypically Si-PoLR. Well, 'stereotypically' might be the wrong word since people are thinking he's Si for some strange reason. But definitely ENFJ > ESFJ > any Te ego.

My Ni-ENFJ dad also really digs his broad field of exhibition and loves his attitude and way of expression/connecting with his audience. Not basing it on that, but specifically seems like an Fe-ENFJ attitude to me that easily captures the attention of other Fe valuers. My dad, for one, shares the same globally applicable realism, humanitarian outlook and style of philosophy, that seems more Ni than anything else with a Ti-bent, and has an intrinsic kind of "big picture detachment" to it. Compare to what Si, Ne, or Te are said to focus on, or really what Delta STs are actually like. Coda: the list. Notice for one how none of them seem to value ? At least then we're getting somewhere.

Such BS

I'm still curious about what people are seeing in him that's .
    When Ni polr tells story, there's a lot of small detail being expressed that sometimes seems like they don't conclude to a point until the very end. They are recalling in their head of what had happen and tell their stories that way, where as introvert intuition tells stories by conceptualizing.

It shows in the video Mune linked.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    When Ni polr tells story, there's a lot of small detail being expressed that sometimes seems like they don't conclude to a point until the very end. They are recalling in their head of what had happen and tell their stories that way, where as introvert intuition tells stories by conceptualizing.

It shows in the video Mune linked.
    I think that's kind of an exaggeration based on the way the video is played out.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting that video, mune. Provides interesting insight into the way he thinks and works with information.

Delta or Alpha dynamic type
    That is my impression, as well. The most apparent elements in Dirty Jobs are Si and Te, the focus being on the flow of physical processes and achieving productivity. The way he explains things in a "sequential" manner, spontaneously embellishing his speech and throwing in sarcastic jokes is something I identify with personally, and how dynamic Si (weak Ne) types talk in general, imo.

Poli is full of horse crap, and trolling as always.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Very much agree.
    I've already mentioned I think he's LSE on another thread (can't be bothered to search for it atm) with the possibility of ESE but I doubt weak Te is likely, especially after watching some of his speech from the clip, I think it was Bolt, posted
    I agree with your post.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, he's a story teller, that much is clear. I don't know what exactly the -PoLR reference is for. Wording in details doesn't mean someone is an S. Most people talk about certain details and their process getting around them. At least we might agree on him being , I highly doubt he's in Delta with that presence and attitude.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, he's a story teller, that much is clear. I don't know what exactly the -PoLR reference is for. Wording in details doesn't mean someone is an S. Most people talk about certain details and their process getting around them. At least we might be able to agree on him being , I highly doubt he's in Delta with that presence and attitude.
    you take it that literally?

1)

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just fail to see the point you're trying to make about his way of talking being -PoLR. To me it seems much stronger in values than , because it's more forceful and full of presence, saying more with less. I think -PoLR language is pretty light and smooth, and tends to weave through details in their explanations a lot more than I get from him. As far as his sensory value, it seems like he's pinpointing specific things that stand out the most, rather than weaving through details to complete his explanation. The latter to me is true -PoLR.

He doesn't sound like any egos I know, ie. people on this forum. I can already tell he's miles apart from someone like Director Abbie or absurd.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just fail to see the point you're trying to make about his way of talking being -PoLR. To me it seems much stronger in values than , because it's a lot more forceful and full of presence, saying more with less. think -PoLR language is pretty light and smooth.
    its sounds more and more off. the bold its like you take it literally. like it applies everytime.

1)

2)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all this Si is making the hair on the back of my neck stand up
    how and why?

To me it seems much stronger in values than , because it's more forceful and full of presence
    I agree. Lot's of ethics, /. I rule him out as leading because that would make him a logical type instead of an ethical one and I just don't see that happening.

He could easily be IEE, EIE, ESE and I will be surprised if he is anything else.

I also want to add that if you have as your role you will actually use it quite well. You don't value it and you can't use it while you are using your primary function (which would be ). It's imperfect because it very poorly backed up by your suggestive (your fifth dual seeking function).

So if you have as role and as suggestive you will state a whole lot of facts but have trouble putting them all together with any real degree of consistency. you will use (be practical) in your life whenever you have to but might be wrong about why (which is a combination of and intuition) - but that doesn't mean you're always wrong.

and does he value or is he using ? I don't know how anyone can tell, presence I guess and he does have that.

i could be wrong about all this and he might be isfj because he does look similar to del piero and i've always thought he was an isfj.

Last edited by goggles; 08-05-2011 at 03:16 PM.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you know that he testified before the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee to talk about changing the mindset of the government to promote the skilled trade professions?

INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your point?

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really have one except perhaps the subject matter he talks about seems to be one that he's passionate about and relevant to the discussion of his type -- appreciating and promoting skilled labor.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi tereg!

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He seems like a fairly obvious LSE type to me, and I'm surprised at other suggestions.

Also, my God, he is sexy.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find LSE to be a weird impression, just based on how much different he seems from even agreed upon LSEs, like Arnold Schwarzenegger or whoever agrees on Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson, or LSEs on this forum who we agree on. I'm curious what they think. He seems EJ but too pumped up with .

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTj, they aren't the squeamish folk

I was surprising by many of the typings in this thread, notably that he's an EIE climbing into sewage for entertainment. aren't they "victim" types who prefer to pose themselves as a prize? what kind of prize is it that has just climbed out of a garbage can?

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    I was surprising by many of the typings in this thread, notably that he's an EIE climbing into sewage for entertainment. aren't they "victim" types who prefer to pose themselves as a prize? what kind of prize is it that has just climbed out of a garbage can?
    no

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no
    why is this wrong? how much experience do you have with EIEs?

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...otic-Attitudes
    "Healthy examples of this type will have a sense of self-esteem, and may think of themselves as the "prize" that will be given only to the rightful owner."

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is this wrong? how much experience do you have with EIEs?

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...otic-Attitudes
    I experience EIEs as individuals with their own philosophies and idiosyncrasies and aspirations. Humans, if you will.

A broad overview of romantic styles (which are already pretty bleeeehhhhhggghghgh) has nothing to do with one's willingness to wade waist-deep in sewage.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I experience EIEs as individuals with their own philosophies and idiosyncrasies and aspirations. Humans, if you will.

A broad overview of romantic styles (which are already pretty bleeeehhhhhggghghgh) has nothing to do with one's willingness to wade waist-deep in sewage.
    if you experience them as so individual and different, then why do you refer to all these different humans as a single homogeneous group "EIEs"?

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you experience them as so individual and different, then why do you refer to all these different humans as a single homogeneous group "EIEs"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast