TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Emily Dickinson

SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miss Dickinson always gave me an 'identical' feeling. When I was young I read most all of her poems, which inspired me to write some stuff of my own as well.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The type whose poetry is able to be read to either the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas" or "Gilligan's Island."
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is one of my favorite poets.

I'm nobody! Who are you?
    Are you nobody, too?
    Then there's a pair of us — don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!
    How public, like a frog
    To tell your name the livelong day
    To an admiring bog!
    Love that one.

XVII

I NEVER saw a moor,
    I never saw the sea;
    Yet know I how the heather looks,
    And what a wave must be.
    I never spoke with God,
    Nor visited in heaven;
    Yet certain am I of the spot
    As if the chart were given.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I'm not sure at all about this, but I think INFj or possibly INTj is a good guess. I couldn't find much type-related information about her.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first thot was EII.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Emily Dickinson

IEI or...?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

EII

Introverted; anti-social at times, like myself or EII...

I wrestle with death too and write about them so I connect with her on this note.
    Preferred to wear all white and as a child was very well content and behaved, but as an adult she shut herself out.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 05-09-2010 at 12:49 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    I think ILI.
    The few things that make me exclude that type is that she wanted and preferred to live alone and only communicated with friends and family by letters...she had an anti-social nature about her.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    The few things that make me exclude that type is that she wanted and preferred to live alone and only communicated with friends and family by letters...she had an anti-social nature about her.
    lol, I don't see how any of that would not be fitting of ILI that can easily be one of the most reclusive and anti-social types in the socion.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah, wow. I learn something every day.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    lol, I don't see how any of that would not be fitting of ILI that can easily be one of the most reclusive and anti-social types in the socion.
    The like being around people; EII on the other hand, have this dark nature about them that when they get depressed will shut the world out and go against a lot of things including being anti-social and not greeting guests and being mean to certain people because people don't fit their liking...which is how Emily was.

She valued Fi; she was very forgiving of the worst nature in people. It's common for EII to shut themselves out because we suffer the emotional pains of loosing someone we love; it's better not to see then to subject ourselves to a world of suffering. It's to shut out or to end our lives or find a loving relationship that supports our emotional welfare.

Look at the topics she wrote about on wikipedia...seem to be the same things I am also interested in; also, look at Van Gogh's struggle with morbidity, they are all in line with EII.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 05-09-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's more ILI. IEIs and EIIs would probably go nuts without having someone around. Her situation seems more extreme than my own anti-socialness. But that is just my take. Feel free to disagree.
    Her struggle with morbidity?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Dickinson

Who writes about humility, if not for EII?
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Flowers and gardens. Farr notes that Dickinson's "poems and letters almost wholly concern flowers" and that allusions to gardens often refer to an "imaginative realm ... wherein flowers [are] often emblems for actions and emotions".[134] She associates some flowers, like gentians and anemones, with youth and humility; others with prudence and insight.[134] Her poems were often sent to friends with accompanying letters and nosegays.[134] Farr notes that one of Dickinson's earlier poems, written about 1859, appears to "conflate her poetry itself with the posies": "My nosegays are for Captives – / Dim – long expectant eyes – / Fingers denied the plucking, / Patient till Paradise – / To such, if they sh'd whisper / Of morning and the moor – / They bear no other errand, / And I, no other prayer".[134]
    The Master poems. Dickinson left a large number of poems addressed to "Signor", "Sir" and "Master", who is characterized as Dickinson's "lover for all eternity".[135] These confessional poems are often "searing in their self-inquiry" and "harrowing to the reader" and typically take their metaphors from texts and paintings of Dickinson's day.[135] The Dickinson family themselves believed these poems were addressed to actual individuals but this view is frequently rejected by scholars. Farr, for example, contends that the Master is an unattainable composite figure, "human, with specific characteristics, but godlike" and speculates that Master may be a "kind of Christian muse".[135]
    Morbidity. Dickinson's poems reflect her "early and lifelong fascination" with illness, dying and death.[136] Perhaps surprisingly for a New England spinster, her poems allude to death by many methods: "crucifixion, drowning, hanging, suffocation, freezing, premature burial, shooting, stabbing and guillotinage".[136] She reserved her sharpest insights into the "death blow aimed by God" and the "funeral in the brain", often reinforced by images of thirst and starvation. Dickinson scholar Vivian Pollak considers these references an autobiographical reflection of Dickinson's "thirsting-starving persona", an outward expression of her needy self-image as small, thin and frail.[136] Dickinson's most psychologically complex poems explore the theme that the loss of hunger for life causes the death of self and place this at "the interface of murder and suicide".[136]

I often describe myself, even here on the forum, that I am small and frail.

Gospel poems. Throughout her life, Dickinson wrote poems reflecting a preoccupation with the teachings of Jesus Christ and, indeed, many are addressed to him.[137] She stresses the Gospels' contemporary pertinence and recreates them, often with "wit and American colloquial language".[137] Scholar Dorothy Oberhaus finds that the "salient feature uniting Christian poets ... is their reverential attention to the life of Jesus Christ" and contends that Dickinson's deep structures place her in the "poetic tradition of Christian devotion" alongside Hopkins, Eliot and Auden.[137] In a Nativity poem, Dickinson combines lightness and wit to revisit an ancient theme: "The Savior must have been / A docile Gentleman – / To come so far so cold a Day / For little Fellowmen / The Road to Bethlehem / Since He and I were Boys / Was leveled, but for that twould be / A rugged billion Miles –".[137]
    The Undiscovered Continent. Academic Suzanne Juhasz considers that Dickinson saw the mind and spirit as tangible visitable places and that for much of her life she lived within them.[138] Often, this intensely private place is referred to as the "undiscovered continent" and the "landscape of the spirit" and embellished with nature imagery. At other times, the imagery is darker and forbidding—castles or prisons, complete with corridors and rooms—to create a dwelling place of "oneself" where one resides with one's other selves.[138] An example that brings together many of these ideas is: "Me from Myself – to banish – / Had I Art – / Impregnable my Fortress / Unto All Heart – / But since myself—assault Me – / How have I peace / Except by subjugating / Consciousness. / And since We're mutual Monarch / How this be / Except by Abdication – / Me – of Me?".[138]

The above is common for myself
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

she even looks like me, doesn't she?
    Well now you know the very dark sides of EII.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    IEI or...?
    are you sure that you are not LSE? Sometimes, duals are attracted to dual's writings it's a spiritual connection, that lack of something that you are missing in your self that you can't identify with until you read and hear your dual.

You don't seem to get along with Beta well, don't value Fe and value Fi as well as have humanitarian values as I observed in your posts in the compassion thread.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 05-09-2010 at 01:15 AM.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Her struggle with morbidity?

Emily Dickinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who writes about humility, if not for EII?
    Lots of people other than EIIs could write about humility. She is more likely to be EII than you are, but she could be IEI or ILI as well.

STOP TYPING BASED ON YOURSELF. Not even just because you have yourself typed wrong. It's a very very weak and problematic typing method regardless.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    Lots of people other than EIIs could write about humility. She is more likely to be EII than you are, but she could be IEI or ILI as well.

STOP TYPING BASED ON YOURSELF. Not even just because you have yourself typed wrong. It's a very very weak and problematic typing method regardless.
    Big picture and all elements together.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, big picture looks Beta to me, and elements look Ni and Fe. although maybe that's why you feel like she's like you. Morbidity is not an EII trait. That is stereotypically IEI. Small and frail self image, same.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I don't know, big picture looks Beta to me, and elements look Ni and Fe. although maybe that's why you feel like she's like you. Morbidity is not an EII trait. That is stereotypically IEI. Small and frail self image, same.
    Where do you see Fe in her? I don't see that at all; her writings are mostly very sad or even, not value of Fe. Morbidity and concern for dying is EII, I think about it all the time; where do you find that it is steryotyped for IEI? Who ever stereotyped that for IEI should change that to EII. How about her value of Fi? How do you see that fitting into her type?

Fi-ethics of relationships, she shows great concern in her early life and writings for her relations that were sometimes not good.

Notice that I often write about homeless people, how the image of starvation bothers me; that, how I value life of people, and that I would like to see a world where all people can have shelter...these things bother our Fi (welbeing of humanity and value of relations), I would say as a delta value very much so.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadness can't be Fe? I don't see value for Fi. Where is that? Fasicnation with death is stereotypically IEI, though it certainly can be true of other types as well. As with most stereotypes, it's something that shouldn't be pigenholed. But that can often be a fascination with mysticism and with questions of what happens after death, and to write poetry about it could be an attempt to create those emotions in others. Even working as a poet is stereotypically IEI. Fitting those stereotypes doesn't make her IEI, but it certainly can't verify her as EII.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Sadness can't be Fe? I don't see value for Fi. Where is that? Fasicnation with death is stereotypically IEI, though it certainly can be true of other types as well. As with most stereotypes, it's something that shouldn't be pigenholed. But that can often be a fascination with mysticism and with questions of what happens after death, and to write poetry about it could be an attempt to create those emotions in others. Even working as a poet is stereotypically IEI. Fitting those stereotypes doesn't make her IEI, but it certainly can't verify her as EII.
    Where do you find that?

Fi part she expressed to all of her friends which she communicated in writing and the few relations she kept close to her at the age before she went into solitude.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do you find that?

Fi part she expressed to all of her friends which she communicated in writing and the few relations she kept close to her at the age before she went into solitude.

She wrote to people. That's what you think makes her Fi?

Everyone has people they're close to. Everyone of every type.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To speak for myself, death has been a favorite subject and many of my friends would consider my writings and poetry to be excessively morbid and cynical. It's not really an IEI thing, I don't think. When I think of morbid, I think of Daria, a classic animated example of ILI. Of course, plenty of IEIs are morbid, but it's not really specific to any one type.

In any case, none of the cases made are really convincing.
    No, no case is particularly convincing. The dark emo poet is an IEI stereotype, but there are other people of other types who are also dark emo poets, and yes ILI, the other introverted Ni ego block type, is another possible one.

Actually, how emo, and how just dark, they are is probably a starting point to differentiate. But it's harder to do that with someone who died a long time before video cameras and youtube.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

To speak for myself, death has been a favorite subject and many of my friends would consider my writings and poetry to be excessively morbid and cynical. It's not really an IEI thing, I don't think. When I think of morbid, I think of Daria, a classic animated example of ILI. Of course, plenty of IEIs are morbid, but it's not really specific to any one type.

In any case, none of the cases made are really convincing.
    Where's the Ni in her writing?
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

No, no case is particularly convincing. The dark emo poet is an IEI stereotype, but there are other people of other types who are also dark emo poets, and yes ILI, the other introverted Ni ego block type, is another possible one.
    It wasn't always dark; have you read any of her work?
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't always dark; have you read any of her work?
    Let's see, I went to a high school in the US, and I studied English in college. No, I have never read any of it.

Not all of her work is dark, but this dark hermit emo poet who wrote a lot about death is definitely her overall image.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Selected Poems by Emily Dickinson

A bird came down the walk:
    He did not know I saw;
    He bit an angle-worm in halves
    And ate the fellow, raw.

And then he drank a dew
    From a convenient grass,
    And then hopped sidewise to the wall
    To let a beetle pass.

He glanced with rapid eyes
    That hurried all abroad,--
    They looked like frightened beads, I thought;
    He stirred his velvet head

Like one in danger; cautious,
    I offered him a crumb,
    And he unrolled his feathers
    And rowed him softer home

Than oars divide the ocean,
    Too silver for a seam,
    Or butterflies, off banks of noon,
    Leap, splashless, as they swim.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all dark poetry is emo...: ( :hugs Lord Byron: It's okay, sweety. You are still a classic poet.

And I would not say Emily Dickson is a dark poet.

If you want IEI poetry, read William Wordsworth, Yeats, or Coleridge (but especially the former two). Compare that to Dickenson.
    Did you read my second paragraph? I specifically said that some poetry is just dark but not emo.

I think overall with her hermit lifestyle and how much she wrote about death, she is pretty dark. No, not everything she wrote is dark.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

There is no Ni there and no darkness there either. Just sadness and observation of life; her inner emotions about things come out in her writings.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bird came down the walk:
    He did not know I saw;
    He bit an angle-worm in halves
    And ate the fellow, raw.

And then he drank a dew
    From a convenient grass,
    And then hopped sidewise to the wall
    To let a beetle pass.

He glanced with rapid eyes
    That hurried all abroad,--
    They looked like frightened beads, I thought;
    He stirred his velvet head

Like one in danger; cautious,
    I offered him a crumb,
    And he unrolled his feathers
    And rowed him softer home

Than oars divide the ocean,
    Too silver for a seam,
    Or butterflies, off banks of noon,
    Leap, splashless, as they swim.
    That doesn't point toward any specific type either. Except maybe to introduce SEI or something? I don't think that's where you're going.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

A light exists in spring
    Not present on the year
    At any other period.
    When March is scarcely here

A color stands abroad
    On solitary hills
    That science cannot overtake,
    But human naturefeels.

It waits upon the lawn;
    It shows the furthest tree
    Upon the furthest slope we know;
    It almost speaks to me.

Then, as horizons step,
    Or noons report away,
    Without the formula of sound,
    It passes, and we stay:

A quality of loss
    Affecting our content,
    As trade had suddenly encroached
    Upon a sacrament.

Fi and human nature in here, concern for providing for people, humanitarian nature in her, also introverted very clearly.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She could be one of a few types. The thing that's bugging me is for you to say "OMG she's just like me! Obviously she's EII!" That is complete bullshit. 1. you are not proven to be EII. 2. Even if you were, similarity you feel between you and someone else is a very unreliable way to type someone.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

A narrow fellow in the grass
    Occasionally rides;
    You may have met him,--did you not,
    His notice sudden is.

The grass divides as with a comb,
    A spotted shaft is seen;
    And then it closes at your feet
    And opens further on.

He likes a boggy acre,
    A floor too cool for corn.
    Yet when a child, and barefoot,
    I more than once, at morn,

Have passed, I thought, a whip-lash
    Unbraiding in the sun,--
    When, stooping to secure it,
    It wrinkled, and was gone.

Several of nature's people
    I know, and they know me;
    I feel for them a transport
    Of cordiality;

But never met this fellow,
    Attended or alone,
    Without a tighter breathing,
    And zero at the bone.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, this is what bothers me most about how a lot of people at the16types type people. You're the worst, but not alone. It's all about "OH I really like this person!" Or "This person is hot!" Or something stupid like that, and then trying to show how that person is your type, or your dual's type. Never trying to remain objective and look for type without starting with any assumptions, just consider everything and work objectively from there, trying to find the truth instead of winning an argument or making yourself/type/quadra look better.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Actually, this is what bothers me most about how a lot of people at the16types type people. You're the worst, but not alone. It's all about "OH I really like this person!" Or "This person is hot!" Or something stupid like that, and then trying to show how that person is your type, or your dual's type. Never trying to remain objective and look for type without starting with any assumptions, just consider everything and work objectively from there, trying to find the truth instead of winning an argument or making yourself/type/quadra look better.
    Read her poems and ask herself what is she concerned about? herself or the world? Why won't she eat the bread? Because she feels for other and not for herself first; nothing spells more humanist, humanitarian, concern for people and Fi more then that, yes, traditionally Fi is ethics of relations but not only with people, but with the whole world of creatures as well.

God gave a loaf to every bird,
    But just a crumb to me;
    I dare not eat it, though I starve,--
    My poignant luxury
    To own it, touch it, prove the feat
    That made the pellet mine,--
    Too happy in my sparrow chance
    For ampler coveting.

It might be famine all around,
    I could not miss an ear,
    Such plenty smiles upon my board,
    My garner shows so fair.
    I wonder how the rich may feel,--
    An Indiaman--an Earl?
    I deem that I with but a crumb
    Am sovereign of them all.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read her poems and ask herself what is she concerned about? herself or the world?
    Because what? IEIs are only concerned about themselves and EIIs are always concerned about the world instead of themselves? Do you have any idea how bad at typing, stupid, and biased stuff like that makes you look.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

[quote=Mariella;649260][QUOTE=Maritsa33;649257]Read her poems and ask herself what is she concerned about? herself or the world?

Because what? IEIs are only concerned about themselves and EIIs are always concerned about the world instead of themselves? Do you have any idea how bad at typing, stupid, and biased stuff like that makes you look.
    I don't know what the intentions of IEI are, do you? They seem to be self concerned much more so then delta, wouldn't you say? Ask them don't ask me. I associate with Emily as an EII-100%

Now, you can find an IEI to see if they do.

Your argument with me is futile because you can't make up your mind; I on the other hand, can't possibly provide you with a truck of information on the internet for you to decide.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

http://www.mith2.umd.edu/WomensStudi...try/Dickinson/

You can read all of her poems how she connects with nature, people, thoughts of the world and morbidity; but no where do I get a thrill of Fe provides (no great looming sadness or happiness, and joy). She has even emotions.

Everyone complains how much I write here as an introvert, well there you have it don't you; an Emily of the socionics forum and you say that introverts don't write and are not active well, I tell you you're out of your minds.

Allie has been VI'd as INFp; look at her signature and the message behind the quote and one behind my signature and the values that we both associate with and then align them with Emily's writings and tell me what formula you can draw from that.

Allie's signature (shows a lot about the person's values and what they look for):

"whatever he might have denied me was unimportant; it was the fact that he could deny me anything at all, even what i didn't want."

My own:

"The beloved of the Almighty are: the rich who have the humility of the poor, and the poor who have the magnanimity of the rich.— Saadi."

Which one talks about humility, a deity, humbleness and other important things to read into them.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 05-09-2010 at 02:33 AM.
    -

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast