Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Types that like to explain things

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Types that like to explain things

    I figure it might have to do with something beyond model a, that I haven't read about (thinking types, dichotomies, or something)

    Like to explain:
    ENTj
    ESFj
    ENFp
    INFp
    INTp
    ENFj
    ISFp (?)
    ESTp (?)

    Don't like to explain:
    ISFj
    ESFp
    ENTp
    ESTj (?)

    Don't care and will do it:
    INFj
    ISTp
    ISTj
    INTj

  2. #2
    MysticSonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    By explain you mean tell others the process by which they came to the idea, or to simply tell others their idea?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

    "Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

  3. #3
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hate explaining myself or my ideas to others. I don't mind explaining random things, though, like stuff from school.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic View Post
    By explain you mean tell others the process by which they came to the idea, or to simply tell others their idea?
    i mean like to explain things, like how to do things, or explain a theory from school, mostly, or like, explain a theory that's their own too.

  5. #5
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I love explaining stuff. Makes me feel smart

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I love explaining stuff. Makes me feel smart
    Seems like some ENTps really hate talking about their own ideas though or are competitive with ideas in class/work, or they have to be in the mood to teach.. i think they are quite possessive of ideas. Are you ExTp now?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is like Reinin dichotomies but more subjective. It makes Reinin look good.

    Everybody knows a couple of people who are this way or that....e.g., who like to or don't like to explain something. ENTps who hate talking about their own ideas? Sounds pretty far from any Socionics description of an ILE I've ever seen. But everybody's different.

    It might be more useful to think of people's individual reasons not want to explain something...and I think what's being explained and what's meant by explaining has a lot to do with it.

    Dynamic types may be more comfortable with explaining sequential steps; static types may not want to "step things out" because they see it as an interconnected system. Some types may be less comfortable speaking in front of a group, etc. Just making a blanket generalization like "likes to explain" merely muddies the waters in my opinion.

  8. #8
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,167
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It depends what needs explaining. I tend towards not doing so, actually. I'm more the kind of person who categorises and systematises, pointing out others' fallacies and correcting my own. That's why you'll rarely see me in the kinds of threads that dee, hitta and machintruc come up with. The wildly abstract theory, full of +/-, and with threads like "internal movable fields of systematics in conjunction with organisation of the omega block z as outlined by Ograv Lyshovenkioveic", simply does not interest me. I much prefer threads like "how do you tell x and y apart?", "temperament and club theory", and "what does it mean to value z?". Those that are far more relatable to real life, and which are actually interesting. Don't get me wrong, I like studying theory, otherwise I wouldn't be here - no one who didn't like theory would be here - but material that is over-complex to the point of tedium just annoys me. I see it as spam, churned out by people who think they know what they're talking about, but only succeed in pissing everyone off.

    FTR, I think Fe creatives tend towards either not caring or refusing to explain. I don't think they have the same depth to their arguments, explanations and descriptions as, for example, Alpha NTs do.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  9. #9
    from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    It depends what needs explaining. I tend towards not doing so, actually. I'm more the kind of person who categorises and systematises, pointing out others' fallacies and correcting my own. That's why you'll rarely see me in the kinds of threads that dee, hitta and machintruc come up with. The wildly abstract theory, full of +/-, and with threads like "internal movable fields of systematics in conjunction with organisation of the omega block z as outlined by Ograv Lyshovenkioveic", simply does not interest me. I much prefer threads like "how do you tell x and y apart?", "temperament and club theory", and "what does it mean to value z?". Those that are far more relatable to real life, and which are actually interesting. Don't get me wrong, I like studying theory, otherwise I wouldn't be here - no one who didn't like theory would be here - but material that is over-complex to the point of tedium just annoys me. I see it as spam, churned out by people who think they know what they're talking about, but only succeed in pissing everyone off.

    FTR, I think Fe creatives tend towards either not caring or refusing to explain. I don't think they have the same depth to their arguments, explanations and descriptions as, for example, Alpha NTs do.
    Agreed absolutely.

    Alpha NTs I find go crazy whack with their ideas, even coming up with new terminology ... explaining the HECK out of every last little bit... Granted, I kinda like this and love listening to it, but not the crackpot kind.

    I've always associated explanation with in general though. Maybe the way you like explaining things Ezra, is related to more real life, direct matters (but it's still explaining in it itself) while Alpha NTs utilize their in that abstract way you so dislike at times.

    LIIs especially fascinate me and I can listen to their ideas b/c they are so damn clear.


    Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

  10. #10
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Explaining things to others is one way to learn...

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This is like Reinin dichotomies but more subjective. It makes Reinin look good.

    Everybody knows a couple of people who are this way or that....e.g., who like to or don't like to explain something. ENTps who hate talking about their own ideas? Sounds pretty far from any Socionics description of an ILE I've ever seen. But everybody's different.

    It might be more useful to think of people's individual reasons not want to explain something...and I think what's being explained and what's meant by explaining has a lot to do with it.

    Dynamic types may be more comfortable with explaining sequential steps; static types may not want to "step things out" because they see it as an interconnected system. Some types may be less comfortable speaking in front of a group, etc. Just making a blanket generalization like "likes to explain" merely muddies the waters in my opinion.
    but i later defined what I meant by explaining.. which would be more like spelling out procedures/sequential steps/theories that are not your own. Why don't we use that definition throughout the thread. I suspect this would also narrow some choices down because we are not now including differences in subject matter.

    I also don't think that speaking in front of a group would matter. I am talking about a tendency in all and every case, assuming there is at least one person present since you need someone to explain to.

    also I take back the comment about the ILE because it's not consistent enough to make as strong a statement as that.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Explaining things to others is one way to learn...
    a great way to learn I think

  13. #13
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Explaining things to others is one way to learn...
    Yeah, my mom always tells me that when I help my friends with their chem homework. She's probably right.

    Anyways, I'm sort of neutral in explaining things - if I like the subject, I like explaining it, but if I don't like it, I don't bother. That should go without saying though.

    What I find interesting though is that my ISFj mom seems to love explaining type things to people. That's cool, but unfortunately, she always likes to explain that type of stuff to me without condensing it in a manner. It always takes her forever to get through an explanation.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  14. #14
    eunice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    Ne-INFj
    Posts
    2,955
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I notice that those who like to explain things tend to have Te/Ti in their ego block, with the Ti types been more systematic in their explanations (eg. "firstly....., secondly......, thirdly...., etc.) and they are able to show the connections between their points very well. Te types are more detail-oriented and they sometimes give too much information since they prefer to assume that the other party didn't have much knowledge about the topic of interest.

  15. #15
    reyn_til_runa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it can be tiring.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

    Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

  16. #16
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    It depends what needs explaining. I tend towards not doing so, actually. I'm more the kind of person who categorises and systematises, pointing out others' fallacies and correcting my own. That's why you'll rarely see me in the kinds of threads that dee, hitta and machintruc come up with. The wildly abstract theory, full of +/-, and with threads like "internal movable fields of systematics in conjunction with organisation of the omega block z as outlined by Ograv Lyshovenkioveic", simply does not interest me. I much prefer threads like "how do you tell x and y apart?", "temperament and club theory", and "what does it mean to value z?". Those that are far more relatable to real life, and which are actually interesting. Don't get me wrong, I like studying theory, otherwise I wouldn't be here - no one who didn't like theory would be here - but material that is over-complex to the point of tedium just annoys me. I see it as spam, churned out by people who think they know what they're talking about, but only succeed in pissing everyone off.

    FTR, I think Fe creatives tend towards either not caring or refusing to explain. I don't think they have the same depth to their arguments, explanations and descriptions as, for example, Alpha NTs do.
    are you joking? isn't explaining like 90% of what you do here? it seems like whenever i talk to you it's, "i've changed my mind, i'm not SJ in MBTT. SJs do bla bla and xyz and i don't do this thus i can't be SJ." or something similar to this. every time you change your mind on your type you give a pretty long argument as to why it is. at any rate, you do a lot of explaining even if you don't realize it. maybe this is more commonly known as "arguing."

    when i met hkkmr (ENTp,) i noticed that he seems to like to explain a lot of stuff as well.

    i don't care to explain things unless i'm somehow interested in what i'm explaining. if i'm interested, i can go on about it all day long to anyone who cares to listen. otherwise, echoing reyn, "it can be tiring."
    Last edited by implied; 02-06-2008 at 05:42 AM.

  17. #17
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    It depends what needs explaining. I tend towards not doing so, actually. I'm more the kind of person who categorises and systematises, pointing out others' fallacies and correcting my own.
    I would agree with that. That's one thing that puzzles me a bit about you. And supports doubt for ExTj. Or just Exxj. Or even ExTx.

    You don't say or explain nearly enough to satisfy me.
    Last edited by Minde; 02-06-2008 at 05:58 AM.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  18. #18
    PotatoSpirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bologna, Italy
    Posts
    637
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like to explain, and am fairly good at straightening out the important points quickly, with as few words as possible.
    I have no patience though... if someone doesn't get it quickly I give up.
    LSI

  19. #19
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,167
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    are you joking? isn't explaining like 90% of what you do here? it seems like whenever i talk to you it's, "i've changed my mind, i'm not SJ in MBTT. SJs do bla bla and xyz and i don't do this thus i can't be SJ." or something similar to this. every time you change your mind on your type you give a pretty long argument as to why it is. at any rate, you do a lot of explaining even if you don't realize it. maybe this is more commonly known as "arguing."

    when i met hkkmr (ENTp,) i noticed that he seems to like to explain a lot of stuff as well.

    i don't care to explain things unless i'm somehow interested in what i'm explaining. if i'm interested, i can go on about it all day long to anyone who cares to listen. otherwise, echoing reyn, "it can be tiring."
    I was tending towards this, Maria:

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    I would agree with that. That's one thing that puzzles me a bit about you. And supports doubt for ExTj. Or just Exxj. Or even ExTx.

    You don't say or explain nearly enough to satisfy me.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  20. #20
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I was tending towards this, Maria:
    yes, that might actually be the case. in any case you back up your arguments a lot.

    i guess another person who explains quite well (on this board, and imo) is imfd95.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

  21. #21
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I get too impatient when someone's not getting it.

  22. #22
    Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    6,630
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    logic logic logic

  23. #23
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,633
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't go around explaining random things, however if there's a need to do so, I will and have no problem with it. I don't like explaining when the other party questions what I am explaining. That is really rude imho.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  24. #24
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    ISTp
    I really enjoy explaining things, but it has to be something of my interest (which I will know inside and out) and I need a willing audience. If you don't want the explanation, or I sense that you're just humouring me, I won't say anything.

  25. #25
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I really enjoy explaining things, but it has to be something of my interest (which I will know inside and out) and I need a willing audience. If you don't want the explanation, or I sense that you're just humouring me, I won't say anything.
    bam. exactly.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •