TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wayne Dyer

SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is his face stuck in that pose?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess that's what happens when you reach spiritual enlightenment.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    lolololololol

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wayne Dyer's type: he's an idiot.

My sister recommended that I read "Pulling your own strings". I think this is a typical example of the average self-help book: it tells you about situation A, which bad behaviors and psychological effects go with it, and situation B, in which you do all the good things, which effects in feeling good. His message: just do B!!. He does not, however, explain how to change your behavioral patterns from A to B, which typically is not done instantly. People do not change overnight, and typically need to go though a few totally different phases in order to achieve change. That, he doesn't explain, which makes it, imho, a completely worthless self-help book.

With every page I read, I got more angry. I think it was, what socionicst would call, a very Ti approach to therapy. LSI vibe.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was, what socionicst would call, a very Ti approach to therapy. LSI vibe.
    I have a really hard time seeing this guy as having a Ne PoLR.

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Wayne Dyer's type: he's an idiot.

My sister recommended that I read "Pulling your own strings". I think this is a typical example of the average self-help book: it tells you about situation A, which bad behaviors and psychological effects go with it, and situation B, in which you do all the good things, which effects in feeling good. His message: just do B!!. He does not, however, explain how to change your behavioral patterns from A to B, which typically is not done instantly. People do not change overnight, and typically need to go though a few totally different phases in order to achieve change. That, he doesn't explain, which makes it, imho, a completely worthless self-help book.

With every page I read, I got more angry.
    I haven't read that book, I don't know your situation, and I'm not an expert on this guy or his writing, but I'm pretty sure he'd say that by thinking you're supposed to be somewhere else it means that you see where you're at right now as being wrong somehow. He would go on to say that you should just accept where you're at right now for what it is without judging or blaming yourself (or anyone else). Whatever's going on with you is nothing more than where you are on your path right now, and there's nothing wrong with that. You have something to learn, and once you do you'll move on to something else.

Nothing will prevent growth more than thinking there's something wrong with where you're at now (or where you were ever at).

Detach yourself from the outcome and just focus on the feelings of peace and harmony and security (or whatever) that you intend to manifest. The details will take care of themselves.

One of the biggest points that he focuses on is accepting responsibility for yourself. Everything in your life, including people, events, circumstances, etc. are manifestations of your state of being and the way you internally process things. The way you experience your life is your decision alone, and if you choose to focus on the negative things or things you don't want, you'll manifest more of those things. If you choose to instead to internally experience peace and gratitude no matter what is going on, you'll manifest harmony and abundance in your life.
    SEE

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had to toss out a type on this guy, I'd go ENFp. He reminds me an awful lot of my life coach friend in terms of the things he talks about and how he goes about it, especially one book he lent me "There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem" or something along those lines. At some point he [Dyer] brings in the physics of light/energy to make his analogy, which struck me as an intuitive approach (even if I thought the way he went about it was a little hokey and certainly wouldn't win the hearts or minds of most thinkers).

Unfortunately, I didn't make it past page 11, so it's difficult to say. I would at least hazard that he's an NF of some sort. Intuitive at the very least. As far as an overall feel, I wouldn't say that I disliked the guy but it did seem like he tried too hard in certain respects, even though I honestly believe he has a desire to help others. I could see delta as a possibility.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I haven't read that book, I don't know your situation, and I'm not an expert on this guy or his writing, but I'm pretty sure he'd say that by thinking you're supposed to be somewhere else it means that you see where you're at right now as being wrong somehow. He would go on to say that you should just accept where you're at right now for what it is without judging or blaming yourself (or anyone else). Whatever's going on with you is nothing more than where you are on your path right now, and there's nothing wrong with that. You have something to learn, and once you do you'll move on to something else.

Nothing will prevent growth more than thinking there's something wrong with where you're at now (or where you were ever at).

Detach yourself from the outcome and just focus on the feelings of peace and harmony and security (or whatever) that you intend to manifest. The details will take care of themselves.

One of the biggest points that he focuses on is accepting responsibility for yourself. Everything in your life, including people, events, circumstances, etc. are manifestations of your state of being and the way you internally process things. The way you experience your life is your decision alone, and if you choose to focus on the negative things or things you don't want, you'll manifest more of those things. If you choose to instead to internally experience peace and gratitude no matter what is going on, you'll manifest harmony and abundance in your life.
    Liiiiar!

You do seem to have a pretty good grasp of the gist of his message, at least from what my meager experience has allowed me to divine.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENFp is a good guess. Anything else than one of the N types is not.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who is wayne dyer?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    who is wayne dyer?
    Someone of no consequence.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you already checked, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Dyer

Also, he probably has some Youtube stuff also, though I've never heard him live before.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Self-help books suck. The more I read that patronizing crap the more I want to kill myself. If you really want help, you'd see a real person face-to-face and you'd actually do actions instead of just reading about them.

I can't stand that guy who writes those Kabbalah books either.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is exactly what he says (and more), and you now, he is, in fact, absolutely right about that, No doubt, I agree with most of what he writes. Psychological distress often involves cognitive distortions and change involves cognitive restructuring, which is the aim of cognitive therapy. The issue here is that Dyer doesn't tell you which path you should follow when you want psychological changes, he tells you about A and B, but not how to get from A to B. Most people who feel a need to change their ways (who are in need of therapeutic help, be it counseling of self-help), it is impossible to 'flip the switch'. They need to go through a process that involves several steps, not just a change in their cognitive outlooks. Self-acceptance is a major and often the first step, but he doesn't tell us how to accomplish that.

He basically says: "these are the rules, stick by them and you'll be happy!" Rule-based schemas, which I think is Ti. I can see how it would work for Ti based people in particular and Te/Ti based people in general.

But anyway, you say you can't see him having an Ne-POLR. What do you think his type is? Certainly not ENFp, that book lacks any sort of compassion. Of course, I'm assuming his style of writing reflects his psychology. I think his style of writing is very harsh.

Again, I completely agree with him, but he still doesn't tell people how to get from A to B. But then again, the average buyer of self-help books is not really interested in change, only in the illusion that he/she is doing something about it. His books fit that niche very nicely, I think.
    Last edited by consentingadult; 01-30-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    ILE.
    Extremely unlikely. I definitely think he's got strong Ne, but my top two choices for him are LIE (in spite of his appearance) and IEE (in spite of what many have called his "insensitivity"). Gamma/Delta > Beta > Alpha.

(I'll respond to the other responses later.)
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then you're completely missing the point.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then you're completely missing the point.
    Which is what exactly? How does reading a book for "self-help" differ in either content or concept from reading a book for "self improvement"?
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Which is what exactly? How does reading a book for "self-help" differ in either content or concept from reading a book for "self improvement"?
    The focus of the former is that you have problems. The focus on the later is growth and improvement.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The focus of the former is that you have problems. The focus on the later is growth and improvement.
    So the only difference is that in the former you are reading while standing in a hole and the latter you are reading the same book standing out of the hole? Yeah, big difference.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The former would be like standing in the hole still digging, and the later would be taking a pleasant walk.

The whole point is that your behavior and circumstances are manifestations of your thoughts. If you're thinking about how there's something wrong with you and you need to work on fixing it, you're digging. That hole wouldn't even be there in the first place if you hadn't dug it. But regardless, if you do find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Don't focus on the hole, just decide where you'd like to be and go there. It's as easy or as hard as you decide it is.
    SEE

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right. But you canb also restate this: the focus of the former is that something needs to change, the latter focusses on expansion.

In my personal opinion, self-improvement in the style of Wayne Dyer, is often a form of denial that one needs help.

Anyway, perhaps you'll like this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_...Disintegration

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    how is this the same? i'm saying you're just using nicer language to describe the same thing. "duck is a duck" is stock phrase. you could draw hearts all over the paper but the directions would be the same. let's compare apples to apples.
    The main point is that your thoughts create your external reality. If you don't understand how this would mean that thinking there's something wrong with you will take you to an opposite place in your life than focusing on improving yourself where ever you're at, there's nothing more I can say to explain it.

If you disagree with the part in bold, just say so and I'll understand why you don't think that thinking about your problems or what's wrong with you all day will make you less well, but focusing on personal growth all day will lead to greater wellness.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    instead of the typical problem-oriented approach, the author merely reconstitutes the wisdom and advice that has already been around for thousands of years already in the religious scriptures and war/social treatises of the world. Case in point, Dyer's most recent book which is just an elaboration of a few verses from the Tao te Ching.
    yep, pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    right. But you canb also restate this: the focus of the former is that something needs to change, the latter focusses on expansion.

In my personal opinion, self-improvement in the style of Wayne Dyer, is often a form of denial that one needs help.
    Depends how you look at it. I do think it's important to be honest with yourself, but once you've done that, the focus should be on where you want to be instead of what's wrong with you.

Anyway, perhaps you'll like this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_...Disintegration
    Looks somewhat interesting. I'll have to read it. I agree with the premise that we have to have negative experiences in order to growth. Sort of like how muscles are developed. I've always believed that life is a series of peaks and valleys, and focusing too much on avoiding negative experiences will keep you from having positive experiences as well. I do, however, see those negative experiences as lessons.
    SEE