Thread: Duals and lack of understanding

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Duals and lack of understanding

I was talking to a friend of mine (SLI) about the possibility of constructing some CNC machine (=production robot). We had a major disagreement because I was telling him that the complicated part is the mechanical one, while the simplest part is the electronic/software one. He had the opposite view: the mechanical part is easy, the electronic/software part is complicated.

So an argument began and he started calling me close minded and such. After a while I understood that, to him, a CNC is the exact copy of an existing machine, this is, a replica, that understands standard g codes (commands), completely independent, with automated tooling exchanger... something like the thing already on the market but cheaper.

I, on the other side, understand "CNC" as a machine that is capable of doing work on its own. As long as it produces parts, I don't really care about the way it does it. It doesn't have to be standard. My friend is right in that, from the industrial point of view it would be more convenient to make something standard to make use of the existing software and such...

Probably most of you won't follow me into the technical details, but my idea is simply to bypass what exists completely, to build a simple machine with just a few motors attached and control everything from the computer. Once we're there, everything is possible, because a computer can be programmed in any way you can imagine. There is software already that simulates a CNC controller and feeds the stepper motors with travel information, so to me it's simply absurd to build an electronic board if the computer can do it. If we do it his way, the machine will work, but it will be horribly expensive to cover the insane amounts of time involved, and would eventually do the same thing...

--------------------------------------------------------

Now, let's stop with technical stuff altogether. My point here is that my friend is very weak at conceptualization, so he's unlikely to realize that just because something is tried and works, it doesn't mean that it's the best thing to do. He's just blaming me for not using the Si-Te loop instead of valuing my Ne-Fi input. He's rejects my ideas simply because he's unable to judge them by himself. He lacks my ability to predict...

I, on the other side, probably lack his pragmatism. I know it's a good advice to build a machine that you can simply plug into the computer and put to work, because it's based on standards.

So... my final question... do really duals can't occupy the same niche? It seems to me like duals can be like conflictors if they work on the same area. I've observed this between my LII father and his ESE friend too.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, no... you misunderstood what the discussion was about.

You see, a regular CNC setup contains not one, but two computers.

* The first computer is in the CNC itself. Its job consist in translating high order commands (known as g commands) into movement of the axis, change of tool, etc.

* The second computer is connected through a port to the CNC machine and feeds it with information, say, from commercial programs like Master Cam.

The problem is that having two computers is redundancy and thus waste of resources. Anything the computer inside the CNC does can be done by the computer that runs the program, and probably far easier, because the computer inside the CNC is micro controller based and thus we essentially have to start from zero. Using a desktop computer to drive the motors is cheap and works. Like I said, there is software that emulates a CNC controller, thus it is possible to run the software that is normally located inside CNC's computer, within the normal computer.

The point here is that my friend stubbornly sticks to the way he knows that works because his reasoning is memory based. I, on the other side, have concept based reasoning and thus I'm not limited to what I've seen or done before. He projects his way of thinking into me and makes the conclusion that, since I lack his experience (=memory), there is no way I can be right and he wrong.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with nijo and dolphin. I read the first post and I was like, "Hmm, I don't even know what to say!"
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It kinda seems like from your pov you're right and he's wrong... or you don't feel he's able to see other possibilities outside his own experience. If he thinks you think you're right and he's wrong and that you won't change your views, then he'll probably think you're being narrow minded. Except, he's doing the same thing and being rigid and narrow minded in your opinion...

This is exactly how I feel when the Jehovah Witnesses knock on my door.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it would affect me?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mikemex, the problem is that you think you're smarter than everybody else and that your ideas are necessarily better than everybody else's. If you were to drop this attitude probably you would be listened to with more ease.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Mikemex, the problem is that you think you're smarter than everybody else and that your ideas are necessarily better than everybody else's. If you were to drop this attitude probably you would be listened to with more ease.

sho nuff.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often