Thread: Integral Type of Cultural Aura of Texas

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Integral Type of Cultural Aura of Texas

Just watched No Country For Old Men. Fantastic film. Anyway, I've been watching quite a few of these kinds of films recently; based around the barren landscape of cowboy country.

The characters portrayed all have a distinctly Delta air to them. No ambition, slow speech, movement and same routine everyday, where nothing happens. "Quiii't lil' town we gaht here" feel to them. I'd say most of the inhabitants of these little towns, motels and convenience stores are SLIs.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rms = √(3kT/m) = √(3RT/M)

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Just watched No Country For Old Men. Fantastic film. Anyway, I've been watching quite a few of these kinds of films recently; based around the barren landscape of cowboy country.

The characters portrayed all have a distinctly Delta air to them. No ambition, slow speech, movement and same routine everyday, where nothing happens. "Quiii't lil' town we gaht here" feel to them. I'd say most of the inhabitants of these little towns, motels and convenience stores are SLIs.
    It makes me smile when you spell words with what you consider an American accent. I think it would be funny to hear you try to speak like that. (No offense)

And, uh, about the Texan "cultural aura"... I think you're a little off. For example, when I think of Texans I tend to think of a sort of pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps kind of attitude, which is very different than a sit-around-and-do-nothing attitude. I suppose, though, if you're thinking of Hollywood's Texas, then you could be right and it's more like you describe... At any rate, the real Texas isn't completely rural, you know.

However, I've only known a few Texans in my life and I've never lived there so I could be quite off myself.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    It makes me smile when you spell words with what you consider an American accent. I think it would be funny to hear you try to speak like that. (No offense)

And, uh, about the Texan "cultural aura"... I think you're a little off. For example, when I think of Texans I tend to think of a sort of pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps kind of attitude, which is very different than a sit-around-and-do-nothing attitude. I suppose, though, if you're thinking of Hollywood's Texas, then you could be right and it's more like you describe... At any rate, the real Texas isn't completely rural, you know.

However, I've only known a few Texans in my life and I've never lived there so I could be quite off myself.
    I've been thru Texas many times, and have known more than 10 or so people from there... you're much closer than Ezra's post as far as this thread goes.

As far as Ezra's post... that may go for Most small towns across the US... My home town was "kinda" like that in the sense of seeming like people just sit around... but I couldn't imagine calling all those people even close to the same type...lol There are those that work their asses off to keep the place goin... but that maybe as only a mindset... can be correct in a lot of places.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that it is the "cowboy life" that is more Delta.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hate to sit around and do nothing all day. Talk about hell.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think most of such dudes/girls are SLI's (it'd be too "archetypal"), but integral culture of Texas itself seems SLI.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, hi.

Just thought I'd pop my head in here.

Yeah, I have some thoughts about this, but it's like 6:00 in the morning... I'll come back to this thread a little later.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah dude it's 4 am here, i'll follow your lead.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't mess with Texas, friendo.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, France is considered a large country and it's the size of Texas.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The characters portrayed all have a distinctly Delta air to them. No ambition, slow speech, movement and same routine everyday, where nothing happens.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Creepy-Diana

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Ha! This thread is funny. I was born in Texas. In east Texas, where it's certainly not barren. I was born in a little town, that was pretty much like any little town anywhere. Then we moved to a little patch of 5 acres and started building a house. We raised chickens and had a huge garden, and even bought a calf to raise. My sister and I spent a lot of time playing in and exploring the woods that bordered our property. East Texas is humid, gets plenty of rain, and fantastic thunderstorms. It looks nothing like the cowboy movies which are more of the West Texas variety of landscape. There are also big cities in Texas, like Dallas and Houston, and plenty of mid-sized cities as well. I would say that where I lived there was a slow-paced laid-back attitude.
    More lies from Diana.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Lol, France is considered a large country and it's the size of Texas.
    There's a bumper sticker I see from time to time that says the following.

Texas: Bigger than France.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I was born and raised in Houston, then moved to Austin when I was 18, so I'm a "city slicker".

But I have enough family in small towns to understand that Texas is much much more than what I experience in the larger cities.

And the thing is, is that regionally speaking, I haven't really been exposed to west Texas, south Texas, most of east Texas, and the panhandle/north Texas, which in my understanding are much different areas than central Texas (where I am now) and the Gulf Coast (where I used to be).

A drive from Austin to Houston is ~3 hours, and that's going from the center of the state to roughly an hour off of the gulf coast. You don't just casually drive across to the other side of the state to go see someone.

The point of that was to say that it's kind of difficult for me to grasp the "cultural aura" of Texas in the Hollywood sense because there is a ton of it that I haven't seen.

There used to be a show on in Houston in the 80s called "The Eyes of Texas". It was a show that spent an episode looking at 2 or 3 different towns across the state. Now, the show that has taken that up in sorts is called "Texas Country Reporter". Instead of looking at the entire town, they talk with people who are known around their respective parts and get a sense of what life is like in their area.

http://www.texascountryreporter.com/show.htm

I think that that show in particular does a very good job of capturing the essense of what Texas is. Like here is this week's episode:

Show #1064
    This week on Texas Country Reporter, meet a man who's peddling an old-fashioned form of entertaining transportation for kids of all ages. Allen Wilson, Kingsville, TX

Sip a soft drink in one of the oldest stores in Texas. Cynthia Grossman, Camp Verde General Store, 285 Camp Verde Rd. East, Camp Verde, TX 78010

Plus, find out why one woman is all alone in what's left of her childhood home town...and what she's doing to keep her memories alive. Myna (Hicks) Potts, D.M.M.P.G./Medicine Mound Museum, 8450 South FM 91, Quanah, Texas 79252
    Once I saw a few episodes, I quickly started to realize that the aura of Texas is too diverse to describe in a few sentences.

Although, if there's any commonality in the stories that I see, and the things I personally see, it is closer to what Minde said. There's a saying that goes (paraphrasing) If you are thrown from a horse, you get right back in the saddle. There's a strong sense of determination, hospitality, and individuality in the smaller towns (like population < 200) that I've personally been to, seen, heard about or read about.

Like, there's this town near where my aunt lives, called Round Top. Population 77 (as of the 2000 census). But what draws people to the town are things like its various antique show venues, an old car museum... and well... here..

http://www.roundtop.org/cat_listing....id=attractions
    http://www.roundtop.org/cat_listing.php?cat_id=antiques

And towns like this are speckled throughout the state. Each with their own distinct feel to them. I suppose that there are some towns that are still like what Ezra has described. But, in my experience, the shopkeepers, townspeople and others of really small towns are quite warm, hospitable and most certainly individualistic. That is painting with a very wide brush, but like I said, it's hard to encapsulate the essence of the state in a few sentences, or even a post like this one.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plenty of people live in small town conditions where they stay put in the same area for years and years. Its not as though SLI's stay back home while everyone else goes out and explores the world. Small town conditions like this have existed for years where people of all types basically stayed somewhere. Its much more a cultural than typological trait that develops the small-town mentality.
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    There's a bumper sticker I see from time to time that says the following.

Texas: Bigger than France.
    Haha, Europe is full of tiny countries.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Don't mess with Texas, friendo.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned