Thread: Why do you want to do that?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do you want to do that?

So Alphas I am just curious as to why you are either in a certain profession or why you find your current professional pursuit appealing? I know that the answers are not always that appealing in themselves ("I'm a ____ because I couldn't do anything else."), but I'm still interested in hearing about how your interests are attached to your profession or career path.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do what I do because it was the first job I took after interviewing with a few different companies when I was in college and it seemed like a job that would be interesting.

I feel as I'm the opposite of the example you said though, I'm a ______ because I could do anything I want and probably like it, this career just has a great work schedule and a work/life balance that I appreciate at this point. I'm also very good at what I do, so the satisfaction I get from the respect people have for my ability and judgment is a nice bonus too.

As far as how my interests are tied into work... it's hard to believe but to me working is actually a good part of my life. Meaning, it's almost as if it's a hobby for me, unlike how most people view their careers. This does tie in with the fact that I get a substantial amount of time off compared to the rest of the world since I work 12 hours a day while working less actual days than most... as I pointed already by saying, "great work schedule." With this work schedule I get a lot of time to travel, party, go out, have fun, fiddle with photography, and all the other things I can't think of that I do on a daily/weekly basis.
    Last edited by cracka; 01-14-2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: added a bunch of other shit...lol

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sheila, why do you keep calling Logos 'Legos'?

I decided to do an Archaeology degree because it is multi-disciplined, therefore making it potentially useful for getting a wide range of jobs. I did a degree because I had absolutely no idea what career I wanted to follow, and was fearful of the prospect of actually having a job. Now, I have no idea what career I want to follow, and I am fearful of the prospect of actually having a job. I could have done a degree in Physics, or Chemistry, or Philosophy, or Molecular Biology, or Psychology, but I considered them potentially too difficult, too boring, or too non-practical. I think I would like to work in a laboratory, though will probably end up working for the council for the next forty or so years before having a short retirement in some cottage in the countryside with roses in the garden, and eventually succumbing to Death. For further reference, see the lyrics for 'No Surprises' by Radiohead. Don't let the fuckers grind you down...you know what I'm talking about.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol yeah an INTj is the negativist, isnt he? I think i make my decisions like, "this is the lesser of two evils, or else it will lead to a better payoff in the end". In a job I look for first stability for as long as I need it (could be a contract position if I plan to do something else in a few months) and then other factors. That's when I make a decision. What initially will attract me to a job is how cutting edge the material I work with will be. I'm drawn to creativity and originality. Oh, and I will probably not do something I find morally reprehensible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    Oh, and I will probably not do something I find morally reprehensible.
    :-P
    type #33
    but maybe LSE, and maybe E3w4(p)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    It's why you have a mana bar, not a rage bar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still in college, but I'm planning to go to law school. Not a typical ISFp aspiration, I guess, but a typical ISFp drive: I want to focus on civil rights to, "make systems more compatible with human values." That's a direct quote from an ISFp description I found somewhere.
    ISFp <3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still in college.

Possible careers I'm considering and why:

Nurse: I get a really deep satisfaction from meeting people's physical needs and taking care of people.
    Some kind of doctor: same as above.
    Tutor: I LOVE to teach.
    Teacher: same as above.
    Acrtress in educational television: same as above.
    News anchor: I've been told I might possibly be good at it.
    Art teacher: Art and teaching combined! YAY!
    Shrink: I've been told I might be good at it. I'm analytical and I love helping people. But I have doubts about me being a good shrink so I probably won't go into this field.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    What about you, Legos?
    I suppose I should answer my own question.

I was a political science and public relations major, and towards the end of university, I originally planned to look into entering a masters program on one of my chief college interests - political behavior, especially as it related to political parties on the micro and macro level - but I perhaps found a more appealing option that allowed me to pursue another interest of mine - religion. However irrational religion is, there is something so incredibly beautiful and paradoxically rational about it on an almost fundamental level that is very revealing about human nature (much in the same way as political science is). This year I am in a masters program of religion and eyeballing the PhD program. I was thinking about concentrating in theology or philosophy of religion, but in some ways they are not very practical and the reading can be a bit dense. So I decided upon focusing more on Biblical Studies since it is so multi-disciplined and allows for a great deal of scope:
    1) there is a historical component
    2) there is a literature and mythology component
    3) there is a theology component
    4) there is a puzzle-solving component in terms of the composition of the books
    5) the Bible's interpretation affects to some degree how people understand and practice their religion

But within Biblical Studies I am concentrating on Hebrew Bible/Old Testament:
    1) more books to play around with (3/4 of the Christian Bible is the Tanakh)
    2) a greater variety of books (histories, myths, prophetic tradition, wisdom literature, poetry, etc.)
    3) and a great assortment of controversial, misunderstood, or out of context aspects of the works
    4) no Jesus
    5) no Paul
    6) the writings of the New Testament need to be understood in their relation to the Tanakh
    7) It is just far more fascinating for me than the New Testament
    8) I will most likely have to learn more languages for OT
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box