Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post The Ego's Effect on Us

I've come to an important conclusion regarding our types. Although we approach type socially as a means of apprehending the world around us, type is also a means for our own self-defense; particularly the ego.

I just discussed with an ENFj how they were using routine to hide their emotions, effectively concealing their true self. The point of conducting the routine, of course, was to raise the excitement of people around them. Doing this allowed them to escape the troubled feelings they would have been reminded of from their past, had they used +Ne to actually analyze the -Fi emotion themselves....

Can other ENFjs cooberate?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you go over again how this relates to the title of the thread?

I'm not ENFj so I cannot relate.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems obvious to me that one's ego is used for self-defense, at risk of deceiving ourselves and suppressing our other functions. Can't leading Ti be seen as only a defense to cover up inadequate Fi? But I don't seem to understand your ENFj example. Maybe I don't know enough about that particular type. Let me try to break it down. The ENFj is suppressing their +Ne through routine, while also suppressing their -Fi. Both of these being secondary ego functions. (That's not the right terminology I'm sure, but you know what I mean.) They suppress them by emphasizing their +Fe and probably -Ni in some form or another. So in this case you're showing how the ego can turn on itself, or at least not always help us?

Yeah, I'm not ENFj either. Just trying to understand.
    type #33
    but maybe LSE, and maybe E3w4(p)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    It's why you have a mana bar, not a rage bar.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bibliophile8 View Post
    It seems obvious to me that one's ego is used for self-defense, at risk of deceiving ourselves and suppressing our other functions. Can't leading Ti be seen as only a defense to cover up inadequate Fi? But I don't seem to understand your ENFj example. Maybe I don't know enough about that particular type. Let me try to break it down. The ENFj is suppressing their +Ne through routine, while also suppressing their -Fi. Both of these being secondary ego functions. (That's not the right terminology I'm sure, but you know what I mean.) They suppress them by emphasizing their +Fe and probably -Ni in some form or another. So in this case you're showing how the ego can turn on itself, or at least not always help us?

Yeah, I'm not ENFj either. Just trying to understand.
    That's what I'm trying to say, yes.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the enfj example, how can Fi and Ne be suppressed ego functions? they're unconscious and they're strengths, so there's no need to defend them. i would think the superego functions are what is defended, since they are conscious and weak.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively View Post
    in the enfj example, how can Fi and Ne be suppressed ego functions? they're unconscious and they're strengths, so there's no need to defend them. i would think the superego functions are what is defended, since they are conscious and weak.
    There are the nature of the threat; it is Fe and Ni which are trying to defend against them.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why, type is a set of assumptions as to how the world works, that allow a person to predict future motions of the world. It determines which events we hold as fundamental to the world's workings, which we hold as 'logical', and which we, in turn, hold as contingent and unimportant. A type is an opinion. One that is so deeply lodged in the nature of a person that it could never be relinquished. It is only natural that this opinion needs to be defended.