Thread: The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

So I'm sure some of you have heard about this book. I was wondering what are your opinions about their types. My guess is that Bella is ENFj and Edward is ISTj. Any thoughts?
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    "And once you lose your way you have two choices. Find the person you used to be or lose that person completely"
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is an old thread. But I'm sure more people have read it by now. Does anyone have any clue?
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    "And once you lose your way you have two choices. Find the person you used to be or lose that person completely"
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default movie: Twilight

For those of you who have read the book/seen the movie:

I read the first book a few years ago and saw the movie a few days ago. What types do you think the main characters are (note: the characters, not the actors themselves)? I was thinking gamma... But I'm not too good at this typing thing yet. I did relate to Bella though - how she internalized her thoughts and feelings and was overall more serious than everyone else, haha.

Last edited by calenwen; 12-14-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen it four times. I hated it the first time but I was in love with it the second time.
    Go ENFj and ISTj duality

Here are some typings:
    Emmet-ESTp
    Edward-ISTj
    Carlisle-ENTj
    Esme-INFj
    Rosalie-ISFj
    Alice-ISFp or ESFj
    Jasper-not sure
    Bella-ENFj Ni
    James-ESTj
    Charlie-INTj
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onetreehilluver View Post
    I've seen it four times. I hated it the first time but I was in love with it the second time.
    Go ENFj and ISTj duality

Here are some typings:
    Emmet-ESTp
    Edward-ISTj
    Carlisle-ENTj
    Esme-INFj
    Rosalie-ISFj
    Alice-ISFp or ESFj
    Jasper-not sure
    Bella-ENFj Ni
    James-ESTj
    Charlie-INTj
    I don't see Edward and Bella as beta at all. Why do you think that they are?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interestingly enough I almost made a thread on this. I think twilight is full on gamma. Se + Fi being most dramatic. Edward is probably ISFj imo. Wanted to paste bella as an ENTj, but that's less certain to me. Her dad I think is delta. Going from the movie here. Carlisle could be delta, seemed very low key. Most of the regular school kids seemed pretty alpha in a particularly demeaning 'you're not focusing on what's important' sort of way.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who the hell was james again?

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bella reminds me of alot of myself. She's very clumsy and demanding. In the book she's very self-conscious.
    Edward was always very protective. He was always worried about her. He clearly has Ne POLR. I'm pretty sure its ENFj and ISTj duality although I can't think of the reasons. Khamelion also agrees with these typings. We came up with them together.
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Interestingly enough I almost made a thread on this. I think twilight is full on gamma. Se + Fi being most dramatic. Edward is probably ISFj imo. Wanted to paste bella as an ENTj, but that's less certain to me. Her dad I think is delta. Going from the movie here. Carlisle could be delta, seemed very low key. Most of the regular school kids seemed pretty alpha in a particularly demeaning 'you're not focusing on what's important' sort of way.
    Yeah, I got a really strong gamma vibe from it... mostly because the main characters didn't annoy me at all. Main characters usually annoy me, especially if they're beta, haha.

who the hell was james again?
    The bad guy!
    John Muir

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    Yeah, I got a really strong gamma vibe from it... mostly because the main characters didn't annoy me at all. Main characters usually annoy me, especially if they're beta, haha.

The bad guy!
    ESTj lol. Mega focused on the Se I think. The hunt is not Te Si.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bella and Edward are totally Beta.....onetreehilllover and i are pretty much on the same page with all the typings, as we discussed them before.

the movie was rubbish. i mean, i might like it if i saw it again like onetreehilllover did but...i dont know it just wasnt satisfying enough. my imagination was better

and there wasn't nearly enough of my favorite characters. carlisle, jasper, and jacob.

jasper and alice were awesommmmmme.

and the completely cut out carlisle's history which i was SO FREAKING wanting to see played out. i would read a book if it was only about him. and jasper's life too. they are like, the most experienced of the coven. im sure ill like the book from edwards perspective too....

they were both bad actors, Rob and Kristin. IMO......she didn't turn on the emotion well enough. not like she is supposed to. she just had this weird volume control issue when she was supposed to be upset. and she blinks all the fucking time like a spaz. rob did good at acting like he was trying to resist eating her, but he acted more like he was about to throw up more than anything.

and i didnt like how their conversations had to be all mushed into one, making them seem too dramatic all at once. like, all of a sudden edward is like, "I MUST SHOW YOU WHAT I LOOK LIKE IN THE SUN!!! *dashes into sunlight*" the completely ruined the whole meadow scene...which is one of the best parts of the damn book.

i could go on.....lol

im sure kristin is good actress else where but i didn't like her bella...and robs edward has the looks down, for sure. and some other things. but...i think he could have been better if it were more like a series and he could act out everything rather than having it all mushed together like that.

I did relate to Bella though - how she internalized her thoughts and feelings and was overall more serious than everyone else, haha.

]

beta don't internalize their thoughts and feelings? and did you only read twilight? once she's with her dual (IMO) and more passionate about life and has something to direct her passion towards....she's less...internalized....hah. movie bella was like...a logical non-Fe valuing type trying to act like a Fe type and completely failing at knowing how to do it.

the point of her being more serious than everyone else was eluding to the fact that she seems to be "born in the wrong century"...eluding to the fact that her and edward belong together seeing as he was born in 1901.

Bella reminds me of alot of myself. She's very clumsy and demanding. In the book she's very self-conscious.
    Edward was always very protective. He was always worried about her. He clearly has Ne POLR. I'm pretty sure its ENFj and ISTj duality although I can't think of the reasons. Khamelion also agrees with these typings. We came up with them together.
    we didnt come up with one for Jasper? How can that be? Hes one of muh favorites...hmm...tbh I can't think of a type for him right now...heh...but im hella tired.

are you ONLY talking about the movie characters? or the book and movie characters? or what?

i concidered ISFj for edward though....but....Im pretty dead set on Bella being ENFj, and just the way they interact with each other especially later on i the books.....ISTj makes more sense....

charlie is INTj IMO...especially in the book....

Carlisle is less low key in the book, they cut him out tons in the movie, along with Jasper. Carlisle is teh sexy ENTj ftw foreeeallll. You can pick up on that in the other books IMO.
    Last edited by Khamelion; 12-01-2008 at 06:37 AM.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    are you ONLY talking about the movie characters? or the book and movie characters? or what?

i concidered ISFj for edward though....but....Im pretty dead set on Bella being ENFj, and just the way they interact with each other especially later on i the books.....ISTj makes more sense....

charlie is INTj IMO...especially in the book....

Carlisle is less low key in the book, they cut him out tons in the movie, along with Jasper. Carlisle is teh sexy ENTj ftw foreeeallll. You can pick up on that in the other books IMO.
    Just the movie. Never read the books, so my estimations are based off of how the actors portrayed them. Though I was disappointed by how the dad comes off later (don't know his name). He sounded kind of like a tool, rather than the caring responsible somewhat reclusive dad from the film.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i should have never came into this thread.....LOL
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just the movie. Never read the books, so my estimations are based off of how the actors portrayed them. Though I was disappointed by how the dad comes off later (don't know his name). He sounded kind of like a tool, rather than the caring responsible somewhat reclusive dad from the film.
    Charlie. Charlie...has a hard time with emotional situations and issues. LoL. So, I mean..him coming off as tool or whatever could be perceived in the book OR the movie.

And I see...
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    Charlie. Charlie...has a hard time with emotional situations and issues. LoL. So, I mean..him coming off as tool or whatever could be perceived in the book OR the movie.

And I see...
    That deal led me to think he could be SLI, btw. Though it's worth noting that my brother, who I generally think is LII (maybe ILI) thought he was an uniquely real character because he didn't emote all over the place.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That deal led me to think he could be SLI, btw. Though it's worth noting that my brother, who I generally think is LII (maybe ILI) thought he was an uniquely real character because he didn't emote all over the place.
    Very interesting....he actually emotes even less in the books.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite having half a dozen guys panting after her, including a vampire over a century old. The character is the epitome of a Mary Sue.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    Despite having half a dozen guys panting after her, including a vampire over a century old. The character is the epitome of a Mary Sue.
    Word.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. I guess I don't care that much.
    John Muir

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. I guess I don't care that much.
    lol

and i care TOO much >
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to start reading Twilight, probably tonight. I saw the movie and liked it. I've heard the books are really good, so I'm looking forward to it. Shouldn't take me long before I can comment more on their types since I tend to get pretty excited when I start reading something I like, so hopefully I will. Based on the movie though, I'm having a reaaaally hard time seeing Bella as ENFj. I could maybe see Edward as ISTj though, but overall they just don't seem Beta to me. I think Gamma is more likely.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is that Vampire movie coming out the my EII friend keeps badmouthing. I so wanna see it, I'll have a look around for the book and get back to you
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*grumbles* Not my fault you keep bringing it up.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*grumbles* Not my fault you keep bringing it up.
    What's wrong with Twilight?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh* You asked for it. Blah blah blah, spoilers, don't read if you like this trollop, et cetera.

Right. Bella is a blatant self-insertion character of the author's. Someone read waaaaaay too many Anne Rice novels growing up. She is perfect in every way, except for being "clumsy". Note how long that lasts after the first book (or doesn't). Despite being described as plain and unattractive, she has, what? Four, five guys panting after her by the end of the second book? Including, of course, the HUNDRED AND SEVEN YEAR OLD VAMPIRE WHO'S ENROLLED IN HIGH SCHOOL AND HAS NEVER LOVED ANYONE BEFORE HER. Christ, at least the romance between her and the dogboy was vaguely believable.

How about the plot? "Omg why does he hate me? Why does he not hate me now? Why does he hate me again? Does he like me? Does he not like me? Does he like me again? Omg I love him I love him I love him I love him I love him I love him he loves me!! And he sparkles!" When the plot does show up, it's "Omg this other vampire wants to kill me! But Edward loves me! And his vampire family loves me! But now I have to sacrifice myself to save the people that I love! But they all still come to save me! And then we go to prom."

VAMPIRES. SHOULD. NOT. SPARKLE.

Creepy-Cyclops

*sigh* You asked for it. Blah blah blah, spoilers, don't read if you like this trollop, et cetera.

Right. Bella is a blatant self-insertion character of the author's. Someone read waaaaaay too many Anne Rice novels growing up. She is perfect in every way, except for being "clumsy". Note how long that lasts after the first book (or doesn't). Despite being described as plain and unattractive, she has, what? Four, five guys panting after her by the end of the second book? Including, of course, the HUNDRED AND SEVEN YEAR OLD VAMPIRE WHO'S ENROLLED IN HIGH SCHOOL AND HAS NEVER LOVED ANYONE BEFORE HER. Christ, at least the romance between her and the dogboy was vaguely believable.

How about the plot? "Omg why does he hate me? Why does he not hate me now? Why does he hate me again? Does he like me? Does he not like me? Does he like me again? Omg I love him I love him I love him I love him I love him I love him he loves me!! And he sparkles!" When the plot does show up, it's "Omg this other vampire wants to kill me! But Edward loves me! And his vampire family loves me! But now I have to sacrifice myself to save the people that I love! But they all still come to save me! And then we go to prom."

Lol.

Buffy Summers for the win.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! That's hilarious. Oh c'mon you're spoiling my excitement. hehe. Well, I have to say I didn't get all that from the movie, but perhaps that has something to do with it being 2 hours long versus the length of time it would take me to read the books, which I haven't done yet. So I can see how that behavior would get old after a while. So now I'm even more intrigued to start reading if only to confirm or argue what you say here. This isn't over!

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen the movie twice and I'm almost halfway through book 1. Based on the movie and what I have read so far, I don't see how there's any way Edward and Bella are beta, especially Bella as ENFj.

I think they're pretty clearly gamma. I agree with Se+Fi, I think it's pretty obvious. So my impression so far is gamma rationals for both. We'll see if I change my mind later on.

Can't say much about the other characters as I haven't learned much about them yet. I agree with the stereotypical alpha portrayal of the high school kids.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    I've seen the movie twice and I'm almost halfway through book 1. Based on the movie and what I have read so far, I don't see how there's any way Edward and Bella are beta, especially Bella as ENFj.

I think they're pretty clearly gamma. I agree with Se+Fi, I think it's pretty obvious. So my impression so far is gamma rationals for both. We'll see if I change my mind later on.

Can't say much about the other characters as I haven't learned much about them yet. I agree with the stereotypical alpha portrayal of the high school kids.
    Yay, thank you for summing up my thoughts on it, haha.
    John Muir

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay, thank you for summing up my thoughts on it, haha.
    cool! yeah, Bella has like zero Fe so i really don't get where that enfj suggestion is coming from. anyone reading the book should be able to notice how much she devalues Fe. she's basically always making comments that indicate this.

hey, are they necessarily duals?

here's a couple of clips. maybe even those who haven't seen the movie can comment based on these? if they like...

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, not necessarily, but I'd say that Bella loves that Se and he is probably Se creative. I could see her as possibly ILI also (not especially, though I do think Fe-devaluing and Se valuing is what I see from the movie), but come on, an ILI that strolls into school and is the beloved of all the alpha crew? Never in the history of the universe will this occur.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool! yeah, Bella has like zero Fe so i really don't get where that enfj suggestion is coming from. anyone reading the book should be able to notice how much she devalues Fe. she's basically always making comments that indicate this.

here's a couple of clips. maybe even those who haven't seen the movie can comment based on these? if they like...
    Ha, yeah, it always amuses me how whenever there is a fictional couple that someone likes they kind of seem to automatically assume that they are duals. I think that duality is very rare and good couples that are not duals exist everywhere. Even in Twilight, lol.

Thanks for the videos, good idea.
    John Muir

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, not necessarily, but I'd say that Bella loves that Se and he is probably Se creative. I could see her as possibly ILI also (not especially, though I do think Fe-devaluing and Se valuing is what I see from the movie), but come on, an ILI that strolls into school and is the beloved of all the alpha crew? Never in the history of the universe will this occur.
    I don't know, man. You shouldn't underestimate some of these ILI females. My best friend is ILI and she always has guys after her. I think it has something to do with the laid-back detached coolness or the sarcastic come-backs? Who knows.

Anyway, ILI did cross my mind as a likelihood for Bella.
    John Muir

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching that one, I don't know how anyone thinks she could be an ENFj... but I guess I'd have to see the movie or read the books or whatever.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    After watching that one, I don't know how anyone thinks she could be an ENFj... but I guess I'd have to see the movie or read the books or whatever.
    Yeah, I can't really see a beta or alpha type for her. Fi ego or something.

And it looks like a bad movie :/
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but dude, you think I'm the epitome of a Mary Sue.

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If her 'in group' classmates are Alpha, then I'm most definitely not. I wanted to hit them, or tie them to something so they'd stop bounding about the place. And I saw the movie and am halfway through book 1 at present.

I feel a level of identification with Bella and Edward, and particularly the way in which they internalise things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    Yeah but dude, you think I'm the epitome of a Mary Sue.
    There are reasons you have dudes falling over themselves to be near you. People love Bella for no reason other than that she's Bella. Why does Edward love Bella? Because he's fascinated by the fact he can't read her mind? Nope, that's only brought up once in a blue moon so that both of them can whine about how he can't understand why she loves him. Meyer waved her pen and said 'MY SELF INSERT CHARACTER SHALL BE LOVED BY ALL AND SUNDRY" and didn't trouble to think of reasons why.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy the book, it's just that to me it's like comparing a twinkie to tiramisu.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    And it looks like a bad movie :/
    lol, I couldn't say I enjoyed it that much. My mom's seen it like 8 times in the theater, which is just mindboggling.

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    If her 'in group' classmates are Alpha, then I'm most definitely not.
    They're alpha in the way that if Strrrng made a movie how deltas would come across (which I would actually pay to go see btw). At least this is my impression of what was going on in the movie.

Of course I can't comment as to the book, but they weren't too negatively portrayed, just like, "Ooh, my poor classmates, always twittering on cheerfully about these ephemeral, traditional high school themes. Nothing like my bf. Who's immortal and brooding and can carry me up trees while he constantly tells me we can't be together in case he gets too intense and kills me in a ravenous bloodlust." That sort of deal.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are reasons you have dudes falling over themselves to be near you. People love Bella for no reason other than that she's Bella. Why does Edward love Bella? Because he's fascinated by the fact he can't read her mind? Nope, that's only brought up once in a blue moon so that both of them can whine about how he can't understand why she loves him. Meyer waved her pen and said 'MY SELF INSERT CHARACTER SHALL BE LOVED BY ALL AND SUNDRY" and didn't trouble to think of reasons why.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy the book, it's just that to me it's like comparing a twinkie to tiramisu.
    Could it have something to do with her mysteriousness/aloofness? Kinda the whole thing of being intrigued by the unreachable.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast