Hybrid View

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

So I'm sure some of you have heard about this book. I was wondering what are your opinions about their types. My guess is that Bella is ENFj and Edward is ISTj. Any thoughts?
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    "And once you lose your way you have two choices. Find the person you used to be or lose that person completely"
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is an old thread. But I'm sure more people have read it by now. Does anyone have any clue?
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    "And once you lose your way you have two choices. Find the person you used to be or lose that person completely"
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to start reading Twilight, probably tonight. I saw the movie and liked it. I've heard the books are really good, so I'm looking forward to it. Shouldn't take me long before I can comment more on their types since I tend to get pretty excited when I start reading something I like, so hopefully I will. Based on the movie though, I'm having a reaaaally hard time seeing Bella as ENFj. I could maybe see Edward as ISTj though, but overall they just don't seem Beta to me. I think Gamma is more likely.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is that Vampire movie coming out the my EII friend keeps badmouthing. I so wanna see it, I'll have a look around for the book and get back to you
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*grumbles* Not my fault you keep bringing it up.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    *grumbles* Not my fault you keep bringing it up.
    What's wrong with Twilight?

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default movie: Twilight

For those of you who have read the book/seen the movie:

I read the first book a few years ago and saw the movie a few days ago. What types do you think the main characters are (note: the characters, not the actors themselves)? I was thinking gamma... But I'm not too good at this typing thing yet. I did relate to Bella though - how she internalized her thoughts and feelings and was overall more serious than everyone else, haha.

Last edited by calenwen; 12-14-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen it four times. I hated it the first time but I was in love with it the second time.
    Go ENFj and ISTj duality

Here are some typings:
    Emmet-ESTp
    Edward-ISTj
    Carlisle-ENTj
    Esme-INFj
    Rosalie-ISFj
    Alice-ISFp or ESFj
    Jasper-not sure
    Bella-ENFj Ni
    James-ESTj
    Charlie-INTj
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onetreehilluver View Post
    I've seen it four times. I hated it the first time but I was in love with it the second time.
    Go ENFj and ISTj duality

Here are some typings:
    Emmet-ESTp
    Edward-ISTj
    Carlisle-ENTj
    Esme-INFj
    Rosalie-ISFj
    Alice-ISFp or ESFj
    Jasper-not sure
    Bella-ENFj Ni
    James-ESTj
    Charlie-INTj
    I don't see Edward and Bella as beta at all. Why do you think that they are?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interestingly enough I almost made a thread on this. I think twilight is full on gamma. Se + Fi being most dramatic. Edward is probably ISFj imo. Wanted to paste bella as an ENTj, but that's less certain to me. Her dad I think is delta. Going from the movie here. Carlisle could be delta, seemed very low key. Most of the regular school kids seemed pretty alpha in a particularly demeaning 'you're not focusing on what's important' sort of way.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who the hell was james again?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    are you ONLY talking about the movie characters? or the book and movie characters? or what?

i concidered ISFj for edward though....but....Im pretty dead set on Bella being ENFj, and just the way they interact with each other especially later on i the books.....ISTj makes more sense....

charlie is INTj IMO...especially in the book....

Carlisle is less low key in the book, they cut him out tons in the movie, along with Jasper. Carlisle is teh sexy ENTj ftw foreeeallll. You can pick up on that in the other books IMO.
    Just the movie. Never read the books, so my estimations are based off of how the actors portrayed them. Though I was disappointed by how the dad comes off later (don't know his name). He sounded kind of like a tool, rather than the caring responsible somewhat reclusive dad from the film.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i should have never came into this thread.....LOL
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bella reminds me of alot of myself. She's very clumsy and demanding. In the book she's very self-conscious.
    Edward was always very protective. He was always worried about her. He clearly has Ne POLR. I'm pretty sure its ENFj and ISTj duality although I can't think of the reasons. Khamelion also agrees with these typings. We came up with them together.
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    formerly onetreehilluver

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onetreehilluver View Post
    Bella reminds me of alot of myself. She's very clumsy and demanding. In the book she's very self-conscious.
    Despite having half a dozen guys panting after her, including a vampire over a century old. The character is the epitome of a Mary Sue.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Twilight is stupid. It's just a Buffy rip-off to me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Twilight is stupid. It's just a Buffy rip-off to me.
    nah, buffy doesn't have references to the mormonic lost tribes of israel re-embodied in native-americans.

also man, she has to be enfj w/ the wild idealization of her partner and the refusal to see that he's a dick. this is why i think beta relationships can last for a really long time despite being pretty abusive all around.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    nah, buffy doesn't have references to the mormonic lost tribes of israel re-embodied in native-americans.

also man, she has to be enfj w/ the wild idealization of her partner and the refusal to see that he's a dick. this is why i think beta relationships can last for a really long time despite being pretty abusive all around.
    Do you really see him as abusive??? That anyone would think that completely baffles me. I don't even see where you would even get that idea. Whether you think the writing/story/whatever is trash is besides the point. I don't particularly see it as any great work of art or anything, but if there's anything that attracts me to the story, it is their love for one another.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    Do you really see him as abusive??? That anyone would think that completely baffles me. I don't even see where you would even get that idea. Whether you think the writing/story/whatever is trash is besides the point. I don't particularly see it as any great work of art or anything, but if there's anything that attracts me to the story, it is their love for one another.
    definitely. he put her in a situation where she wound up in the hospital, lying to her parents and saying she fell down 3 flights of stairs. again, if it weren't for the "supernatural" pretext here, everyone would be saying, "SICK, ISN'T THAT WHAT BATTERED WOMEN/CHILDREN TELL THE POLICE?" and there were tons of times where she wound up with injuries. in the book where they actually do have sex, he has such violent sex w/ her that she's left bruised and battered. then, she tries to hide the bruises that he caused so he doesn't have to feel bad about beating her. hahaha man, that's violent. not just edward, but then the chick who is madly in love w/ one of the werewolves and has a mangled face as a result of it. i just can't see how that is healthy. there's really just a lot of violence towards women, and it's all kind of justified as being done in the name of love. like crimes of passion or something.

if anything attracts me to the story it's probably that they are in love w/ each other. there's a whole idea of monogamy/being faithful to one person which is cool. however, it plays out in such a violent way (and a cliche way) that it winds up being very awkward to watch and harder to promote. if i had a kid, i doubt i'd let them read the books.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oh come on. It's not a quadra thing. Almost all teenage girls love asshole guys.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    They can't be Beta.
    yeah i don't think so either. i haven't seen the movies, but from the books i think:

Bella: ILI or maybe some other Ni type
    Edward: ESI
    Bella's father: SLI
    Rosalie: Beta
    Alice: SEE
    Jasper: some introvert

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    if anything attracts me to the story it's probably that they are in love w/ each other. there's a whole idea of monogamy/being faithful to one person which is cool.
    yeah i agree. also agree that the writing is terrible though... incredibly repetitive and somehow i get the idea from it that the author is not very worldly.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea about the books though I watched the first film and thought they came off an an ESI (Edward) and ILI (Bella) couple, though I haven't watched any of the other films or read the books so I'm only basing it on that film
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quite possibly the stpidest movie of all time

no depth of characters, plot was half assed, terrible acting.

I dont know how the hell they made a movie with vampires fighting werewolves suck, but they did, so congratulaions.

fuck twilight.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would anyone actually waste seconds of their lives reading this kind of garbage? I'd rather reread all my old Goosebumps books.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Why would anyone actually waste seconds of their lives reading this kind of garbage? I'd rather reread all my old Goosebumps books.
    your old goosebumps books are better. she's an astonishingly bad writer (even stephen king noted this.) i got through about 35 pages before getting annoyed and just deciding to watch the movies so i could be in on this pop culture phenomenon. they read like harlequin romance or something.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-male

They need to introduce a Van Helsing into the series to hunt down the vampires. Seriously I'd love twilight if they did that (don't like it now), introduce some teacher into the high school who is dutch/german and has a PhD... lol he could be the twilight universe spin-off of Helsing from Dracula and the whole vampire universe. "He must be stopped". He has to be all calm cool and investigative, lol he could like discover edward, then at school he could have like an entourage and uncover him, take him out into the sunlight, and be like "observe as the creature sparkles", then he could be like "quick, kill him, he must be stopped", then once hes dead there could be some line like "nothing should sparkle like that, its just not natural".

Vampires, Dracula, etc = e4 indulgent beta emo stuff
    Helsing = e5

Twilight and the new vampire movement converges from the original victorian brahm stoker stuff, in that stuff, dracula is all some forsaken emo beta that is mad at god and lives as some unnatural creature, and its up to helsing to basically hunt him down and stop him, he kills him and dracula makes peace with god. Its 4w5, with w5 being characterized by helsings character which is supposed to stop the envious emoness of the 4. I don't know how to explain it differently.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edward- N-ESI-Se (ISFj), 4w5 sx/sp, INTJ
    Bella- H-ESI-Fi (ISFj), 5w4 sp/sx, ISFP

I have no idea about anyone else, because I haven't seen the books or read the series.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter made me sit through the 2nd show, just an hour and half ago or so. So I'd know what was going on for the 3rd movie that is in the theaters. I barely made it through this 2nd movie, there's no way in heck I'm paying movie ticket prices to sit through the 3rd one.

Bella pisses me off. Everytime I see her I want to punch her. I don't tend to get that way. But all the 'woah is me, he left me' crap was...hair ripping argh! And then the nightmares?? because he LEFT her? pulease!! She's so freakin self centered it's unbelievable.

And why do the guys like her? I can understand Edward being attracted to that which he can't read. It would be a sense of peace, finally. Like how EPs like IPs...because they don't lay it all out, it takes time to get to know them..lots of time. But she doesn't let up on him. Turn me, turn me, turn me, it's my birthday so turn me, if you loved me you'd turn me. And she keeps ignoring him when he says that he loves the life in her (what life??), he loves her spirit (her dependency spirit??) and that if he turned her, well, she'd change. But if you loved me you'd turn me. wtf bitch, if YOU loved ME, you'd stop f'n demanding that I turn you!!

And Jacob? I was team jacob based on looks, and then I saw the movie. I don't know what he sees in her either. But I do understand his being in love with being in love with her. He's young, it's a crush, he's a sweetie to the point that he'll be crushed to pieces by her. He wouldn't have enough strength to withstand her soul crushing dependency issues.

At least Edward doesn't have a soul, so he, at least, has a chance of surviving Bella.

And the end of the second show?
    After nagging at Edward to turn her, he agrees on one condition...that she marry him. And the last sound we hear of the movie is her gasp of joy/disbelief that he's actually asking her to marry him, omg omg omg...who'd have thought he'd ask such an important and life changing question of HER!!! She's gonna get MARRIED!!! oh joy oh joy
    *punch*
    Seriously, it was like that was more important and life changing than his agreement to turn her..after the family and ruler forced his hand, of course.

I don't know if it's the actress...the script..or what. But there's a whole lot of telling and very little showing. And Bella's attempts at showing how much she loves the guy is that it's sooooo deeeeep that there's no wooooorrrrds for it, but dammit, he better suck her into him cuz she's gonna suck him into her and smother then crush his spirit. And if he rejects her? She'll suck the life out of the other one.

Hey, I guess she already IS a vampire, just without the blood....yet.

I would hesitate to type Bella as I'm unsure if it's the script or the actress. But I'd bet it's safe to say that Bella is a younger version of the author. This whole series so far plays out like the fantasies of a fantasy, with the narrator in the middle of it. I do think she's a J type. Edward could be either, and Jacob...it's too soon to tell. Right now he's in the throws of "crush" while having to deal with his other side popping up. If I was to type him, it would be 'wolf', heh.

Now, show some more wolf fight scenes, those are gorgeous creatures, well done, imo. And some more scenes of Jacob's back/chest while cutting out his head and no Bella in the scene. He's one of those eye candies...shut up and look pretty. He's nice enough to feel wanted and loved by such a simple bone being tossed his way. An easy Pet to care for.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    And the end of the second show?
    After nagging at Edward to turn her, he agrees on one condition...that she marry him. And the last sound we hear of the movie is her gasp of joy/disbelief that he's actually asking her to marry him, omg omg omg...who'd have thought he'd ask such an important and life changing question of HER!!! She's gonna get MARRIED!!! oh joy oh joy
    *punch*
    Seriously, it was like that was more important and life changing than his agreement to turn her..after the family and ruler forced his hand, of course.
    oh, it gets worse.

she says no because she's worried about what people will think. seriously.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

anyway, i like twilight. :redface:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate Twilight the movie, the book I couldnt read either although I hoped it would be more interesting. It wasnt. For me it was one of the most horrendous things to read or watch.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This topic is interesting to me suddenly. I read the first book and rather couldn't stand the idea of reading the rest of them as they're just so over-the-top and gag worthy, so I don't know if I'll get to the books to address my new sudden interest but I guess I kind of doubt it. Anyway it was my recent watching of New Moon that has created this new found interest in this series.

It's interesting to me how there seems to be so much cultural idealization of the Edward/Bella relationship, as I sort of got the impression from New Moon (the movie) that this may not exactly be the point. I'm starting to see the overall story as more and more of a tragedy (I mean I saw it as that before but I was more sympathetic before) where Bella's attachment to Edward is something that is slowly killing her and I know that in the end she is going to die/become a vampire herself. She does this with little regard for her own life and although she doesn't know if she has a "soul" or how this all plays in, she is all too eager to throw hers away and squander away her entire life. What's more I think she realizes (or this was my impression from the movie) to some extent what she is doing--it's just that she can't stop... she is stuck going down this path and she can't turn back.

I think that Jacob's character is generally right in trying to stop her from being with Edward... and that he is trying to save her, while Edward is trying to destroy her (even though he doesn't want to destroy her he can't resist and as said before she's so far along that she can't detach herself, so it seems doomed). Despite there being love in the relationship, it just damages Bella as it goes on (the events she witnesses and experiences due to her association with Edward traumatize her and they are not things you just get over--for instance seeing all those people led in to be slaughtered by the Volturi and having to listen to them screaming, not to mention the times her own life or Edward's are in danger). Bella doesn't think well of herself and the association with the Cullens seems to help make this worse (she apologizes for bleeding to Jacob because she has learned it isn't okay to bleed when you're injured since something bad always happens next... she feels as though she is nothing and that aging as normal humans do is bad... it seems to damage her sense of self-worth).

In a way she has already chosen to die and in her world she isn't really living... Edward seems to be the only thing that really means something to her and that's why she can't turn back. Anyway it just seems to be a story about her gradual destruction and decline and in the end the relationship will kill her. This doesn't really seem incredibly romantic (though it is darkly romantic) to me, but more about the paths people get sucked further and further down because something self-destructive inside them can't stop... and one way to do this is to lose oneself entirely in a relationship with someone else, for them to complete you because you feel hollow and dead alone (only with the added element of that person being a vampire, who literally will finish you off at the point you finally hit something like rock bottom). It's love that kills softly, and then I wonder if it can be love when it destroys. But I guess it's both. I just find the paradox interesting because I think that Edward really does love Bella... but how can you say you love someone when you're selfishly helping them destroy themselves because you don't want to live without them (but of course such feelings will always be tainted with selfishness).

I also find it interesting how Bella seems to be surrounded by "monsters" who are oh-so-interested in protecting her (I mean Jacob isn't a "monster" per se, but of course there's Sam's fiance with her badly scarred face from when werewolf Sam "lost it" and got mad at her... and conceivably Jacob could do the same).

Anyway I think that this element is interesting. I just don't know to what extent it is intended.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    In a way she has already chosen to die and in her world she isn't really living... Edward seems to be the only thing that really means something to her and that's why she can't turn back. Anyway it just seems to be a story about her gradual destruction and decline and in the end the relationship will kill her. This doesn't really seem incredibly romantic (though it is darkly romantic) to me, but more about the paths people get sucked further and further down because something self-destructive inside them can't stop... and one way to do this is to lose oneself entirely in a relationship with someone else, for them to complete you because you feel hollow and dead alone (only with the added element of that person being a vampire, who literally will finish you off at the point you finally hit something like rock bottom). It's love that kills softly, and then I wonder if it can be love when it destroys. But I guess it's both. I just find the paradox interesting because I think that Edward really does love Bella... but how can you say you love someone when you're selfishly helping them destroy themselves because you don't want to live without them (but of course such feelings will always be tainted with selfishness).

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    I hate Twilight the movie, the book I couldnt read either although I hoped it would be more interesting. It wasnt. For me it was one of the most horrendous things to read or watch.
    lol yeah. Everyone kept telling me the books were 'omg, SOO much better' than the movie so I picked one up and nope, it was like reading the works of a 15 year old.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can't be Beta.

But honestly, Bella a ego? Really? Maybe it was just horrible acting, but she came off as an emotionless zombie.
    really? even when the dude left her? then she came off as a batshit crazy ENFj to me. i dunno, perhaps i'm biased but i've def seen more of my beta friends than other friends get into shitty relationships and stay in them because they can't bear the "boredom" of being w/ a truly nice guy. the real mindfuck would be if she finally just went back to that guy who vomited during the scary movies. that would probably enrage the shit out of people, though.

Why Team Jacob always has to lose in Twilight

this is a fun article.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can't be Beta.

Honestly, Bella a ego? Really? Maybe it was just horrible acting, but she came off as an emotionless zombie.
    That's what I was thinking but maybe it has something to do with the fact that Kristen Stewart is a weird, emotionless droid and sucks at displaying any sort of emotion without it looking very forced and odd. Haven't read the books so I can't comment on Bella's type.