Thread: Indicating Your Type

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Indicating Your Type

I just want to suggest that indicating your type in a footer in a very clear manner might allow us to get to the heart of subjects and individual perceptions much easier. In interpersonal communication Jargon can be something that shuts communication down so if you're vague about your type, even listing like EIE, it can be a stressful factor for those of us who are less educated about what that means. And if you don't list it at all I find it a really stressful part of interacting to post threads and then have to grill members about their type and then before you know it we're six pages in and the topic has hardly been addressed.

Peace,

Barack Obama 2008
    Lefty
    ENFJ

"I'm Sick of Old Men Dreaming Up Wars for Young Men To Die In," George McGovern.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's something about your posts that I like. Are you sure you are ENFj? (hah). I will rather soon put something in my sig...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's your Mirror, XoX; of course he's an EIE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    In interpersonal communication Jargon can be something that shuts communication down so if you're vague about your type, even listing like EIE, it can be a stressful factor for those of us who are less educated about what that means. And if you don't list it at all I find it a really stressful part of interacting to post threads and then have to grill members about their type and then before you know it we're six pages in and the topic has hardly been addressed.
    I don't understand.

I've come to the decision to not list my type (once I find out what it is), because that could influence how people interact with me (in the sense of 'oh we're conflictors, we must conflict', etc.), which could potentially result in some circular support of socionics theory (the theory says we act this way --> we are influenced to act this way --> we act the way the theory says so the theory must be true)... self-fulfilling prophecy? or something

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    I don't understand.

I've come to the decision to not list my type (once I find out what it is), because that could influence how people interact with me (in the sense of 'oh we're conflictors, we must conflict', etc.), which could potentially result in some circular support of socionics theory (the theory says we act this way --> we are influenced to act this way --> we act the way the theory says so the theory must be true)... self-fulfilling prophecy? or something
    I list my type because then people know where I'm coming from and it will help avoid conflict. Imagine reading some of my posts if I was an INFj? It would mean I'm pretty damn impolite and mean. But as an ENFj, I'm just in a fun mood. I think Niffweed mentioned that I'm the person in the forum with the most clear intertype relations. I agree with that. I do have stupid fights with my conflictors and I get along with some other types, I have dry polite conversations with deltas etc. But it's not connected to seeing their types. I had the weirdest fight with some guy who didn't say what his type was. I think his type being ISTp came out very clearly later.

I think showing my type name helps people have the right image of how I'd say those things IRL. And this avoids problems with communication.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nonono I disagree completely, I agree with hellothere.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    I think showing my type name helps people have the right image of how I'd say those things IRL. And this avoids problems with communication.
    Fair point

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure on my type anymore. Gah!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mea View Post
    I am not sure on my type anymore. Gah!
    That's progress imho. As you can never be _sure_ of your type. It is not something you can objectively measure. So saying you are _sure_ is always an exaggeration.

You can only gather evidence and see where it points to. Think of it as being a judge in court. Is the suspect guilty or not? You can't be sure but still you can make a decision based on best available evidence. And that decision could change should new evidence surface.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to suggest that indicating your type in a footer in a very clear manner might allow us to get to the heart of subjects and individual perceptions much easier. In interpersonal communication Jargon can be something that shuts communication down so if you're vague about your type, even listing like EIE, it can be a stressful factor for those of us who are less educated about what that means. And if you don't list it at all I find it a really stressful part of interacting to post threads and then have to grill members about their type and then before you know it we're six pages in and the topic has hardly been addressed.

Peace,

Barack Obama 2008

It would definately make communication more effective and efficient, but that is something I don't really want to do because I don't like my conversations to be like that (it just doesn't appeal to me).

Also I question the educational value of doing this, we don't fully understand the elements and even the types themselves, so acting within character of your type (or as your own idea of a type, that can be flawed) we could be easily acting in the 'wrong' way (not as our types, since we don't understand our type).

As people are told they are a particular type they would act out as that type, relationships and all - the situational stuff would be chucked out of the window. It gives the impression that is how it works in real life and it misses out on important information.

Most of the things I've learnt about socionics involve me going out into the real would and interacting/observing/understanding people and then coming back to the socionics world and just categorising the impressions of what I experienced.

Basically we would create a artificial arena where all our relationships are dictated by our type and all the complicated interesting information would be lost and our knowledge of socioncs would stagnate.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts on this matter...

1. People wouldn't really be listing their type in their sig in some cases. They're listing the type they *think* they are, which isn't necessarily their type. And they may change their mind later anyway.

2. If you read people's posts and look around you can glean information about what types people are and about what types others think they are, as well as information about people's current level of Socionics knowledge/understanding (without really having to apply any effort). If you're curious about it, the mind will automatically start absorbing the information that is relevant to this, and build an interconnected web of it.

3. Yes, the type people think you are affects interactions and perceptions. If it's listed in your sig it may be taken for granted by people, unless they notice continual patterns in your posts that contradict it. People can fall into playing roles, even if that role doesn't quite match who they actually are (whatever that is).

4. Others aren't responsible for your ignorance--you are.

5. I am wary of things saying what people "should" do or saying that we "should" all do the same thing. People should be free to put whatever they want in their sig. And, it's a lot more interesting that way... it's freedom of expression. Free will.

6. Some people's sigs reflect their current conception of their type (mine does)... XoX for instance often has things in his sig about his current thoughts on his type (like "I must be an Ni type"). Sometimes when their type isn't listed in their sig, it's because they're not sure what it is anyway.

7. All that said, I did put my "type" in my sig in part for the sake of clarity on what I think about it. So I am sympathetic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand.

Exactly. Fuck you lefty.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I'm gonna have to agree.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup agree with hellothere.

I know I can sometimes appear do what he says but I do it tongue in cheek
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people on this board gauge credibility by type, so I ignore questions like "what type are you again?" since my is much more developed than these individuals would credit to an IEI.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strangely, for some time now my type in my signature was a product of "tradition". I had no reason to keep it there but not sufficient reason to remove it either. Now, as the deed has been done for me, I have no reason to put it back up. So I didn't. When the time comes when I will have enough validation to place it back there I will. But this has nothing to do with notifying other people, letting them know what my type is, it's just a way of letting my convictions be known.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand.

then why persue an interest in it at all if you just want to lurk ambiguously. i recommen david kerisey's please understand me II for the personality test. its in the back the book runs around 15.00 american and is sometimes on ebay used for cheaper.
    Lefty
    ENFJ

"I'm Sick of Old Men Dreaming Up Wars for Young Men To Die In," George McGovern.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    I list my type because then people know where I'm coming from and it will help avoid conflict. Imagine reading some of my posts if I was an INFj? It would mean I'm pretty damn impolite and mean. But as an ENFj, I'm just in a fun mood. I think Niffweed mentioned that I'm the person in the forum with the most clear intertype relations. I agree with that. I do have stupid fights with my conflictors and I get along with some other types, I have dry polite conversations with deltas etc. But it's not connected to seeing their types. I had the weirdest fight with some guy who didn't say what his type was. I think his type being ISTp came out very clearly later.

thank you. such a relief. it puts things into context and we dont have to be mind readers and waste all our energy trying to put topics or statements into context.
    Lefty
    ENFJ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why don't you just figure out our types?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    Basically we would create a artificial arena where all our relationships are dictated by our type and all the complicated interesting information would be lost and our knowledge of socioncs would stagnate.

if a person is diagnosed with some kind of psychological disorder or something that doesn't strip them of their personality or any of the details of their lives that make them unique and it doesn't mean we always interact with the person the basis that they have that problem, but it can help. i think its complete b.s. to be ambiguous about your type on a personality type forum.

peace,
    Lefty
    ENFJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    My thoughts on this matter...

1. People wouldn't really be listing their type in their sig in some cases. They're listing the type they *think* they are, which isn't necessarily their type. And they may change their mind later anyway.

2. If you read people's posts and look around you can glean information about what types people are and about what types others think they are, as well as information about people's current level of Socionics knowledge/understanding (without really having to apply any effort). If you're curious about it, the mind will automatically start absorbing the information that is relevant to this, and build an interconnected web of it.

3. Yes, the type people think you are affects interactions and perceptions. If it's listed in your sig it may be taken for granted by people, unless they notice continual patterns in your posts that contradict it. People can fall into playing roles, even if that role doesn't quite match who they actually are (whatever that is).

4. Others aren't responsible for your ignorance--you are.

5. I am wary of things saying what people "should" do or saying that we "should" all do the same thing. People should be free to put whatever they want in their sig. And, it's a lot more interesting that way... it's freedom of expression. Free will.

6. Some people's sigs reflect their current conception of their type (mine does)... XoX for instance often has things in his sig about his current thoughts on his type (like "I must be an Ni type"). Sometimes when their type isn't listed in their sig, it's because they're not sure what it is anyway.

7. All that said, I did put my "type" in my sig in part for the sake of clarity on what I think about it. So I am sympathetic.
    i'm not here to spend my time guessing who people are based on what they say. i'm also not here to decode jargon when socionics is already not well recongnized in western countries. people should take a test and find out their type...this is not an astrology forum. i think it should be standard, but i appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
    Lefty
    ENFJ

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you read my posts, assume I'm your identical.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not here to spend my time guessing who people are based on what they say. i'm also not here to decode jargon when socionics is already not well recongnized in western countries. people should take a test and find out their type...this is not an astrology forum. i think it should be standard, but i appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
    but you want others to change what they do to accommodate you for that? What about what others want to do? what if they just don't *want* to put their type in their sig? you could just pm people and ask them what type they think they are now (if you don't want to just observe) and make a list I guess, um.

I don't see what's so hard about this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if people COULD take a test, find out their types, and present themselves exactly as they are and as their types would suggest they are, then i am sure indicating type would be common practice.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hostage_Child View Post
    I list mine for fun, because I have very few doubts about my type, and because I don't post very often so people probably don't have a good feel to who I am...
    I love the "intuitive ethical ignoramous" thing. It cracks me up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if a person is diagnosed with some kind of psychological disorder or something that doesn't strip them of their personality or any of the details of their lives that make them unique and it doesn't mean we always interact with the person the basis that they have that problem, but it can help.
    I suggest you read this:

www.stanford.edu/~kocabas/onbeingsane.pdf

maybe things have changed somewhat since then, but still it illustrates what happens when you put labels on people

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest you read this:

www.stanford.edu/~kocabas/onbeingsane.pdf

maybe things have changed somewhat since then, but still it illustrates what happens when you put labels on people

with a signature like the one above i'd say you're either a 7 or a 6 or 8 with a seven wing because youre displaying histrionics. just because we ignore reality or try to distort it doesn't mean its not still reality.
    Lefty
    ENFJ