Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Herman Hesse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Herman Hesse

Wikiquote

"That's the way it is when you love. It makes you suffer, and I have suffered much in the years since. But it matters little that you suffer, so long as you feel alive with a sense of the close bond that connects all living things, so long as love does not die!" ― Hermann Hesse, Peter Camenzind

"I have had to experience so much stupidity, so many vices, so much error, so much nausea, disillusionment and sorrow, just in order to become a child again and begin anew. I had to experience despair, I had to sink to the greatest mental depths, to thoughts of suicide, in order to experience grace." ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

"If a man does not think too much, he rejoices at rising in the morning, and at eating and drinking. He finds satisfaction in them and does not want them to be otherwise. But if he ceases to take things for granted, he seeks eagerly and hopefully during the course of the day for moments of real life, the radiance of which makes him rejoice and obliterates the awareness of time and all thoughts on the meaning and purpose of everything. One can call these moments creative, because they seem to give a feeling of union with the creator, and while they last, one is sensible of everything being necessary, even what is seemingly fortuitous. It is what the mystics call union with God." ― Hermann Hesse, Gertrude

"It was no different with my own life, and with Gertrude's and that of many others. Fate was not kind, life was capricious and terrible, and there was no good or reason in nature. But there is good and reason in us, in human beings, with whom fortune plays, and we can be stronger than nature and fate, if only for a few hours. And we can draw close to one another in times of need, understand and love one another, and live to comfort each other. And sometimes, when the black depths are silent, we can do even more. We can then be gods for moments, stretch out a commanding hand and create things which were not there before and which, when they are created, continue to live without us. Out of sounds, words, and other frail and worthless things, we can construct playthings — songs and poems full of meaning, consolation and goodness, more beautiful and enduring than the grim sport of fortune and destiny. We can keep the spirit of God in our hearts and, at times, when we are full of Him, He can appear in our eyes and our words, and also talk to others who do no know or do not wish to know Him. We cannot evade life's course, but we can school ourselves to be superior to fortune and also to look unflinchingly upon the most painful things." ― Hermann Hesse, Gertrude

"If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us." ― Hermann Hesse, Demian

"Only the ideas that we actually live are of any value." ― Hermann Hesse, Demian

"It is not our purpose to become each other; it is to recognize each other, to learn to see the other and honor him for what he is: each the other's opposite and complement." ― Hermann Hesse,Narcissus and Goldmund

"If I know what love is, it is because of you." ― Hermann Hesse,Narcissus and Goldmund

"These people were worthy of love and admiration in their blind loyalty, in their blind strength and tenacity. With the exception of one small thing, one tiny little thing, they lacked nothing that the sage and thinker had, and that was the consciousness of the unity of all life." ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

"Everything that is thought and expressed in words is one-sided, only half the truth; it all lacks totality, completeness, unity. When the Illustrious Buddha taught about the world, he had to divide it into Samsara and Nirvana, illusion and truth, into suffering and salvation. One cannot do otherwise, there is no other method for those who teach. But the world itself, being in and around us, is never one-sided. Never is a man or a deed wholly Samsara or wholly Nirvana; never is a man wholly a saint or a sinner. This only seems so because we suffer the illusion that time is something real." ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

"Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours." ― Hermann Hesse

"Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little different immediately after they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish." ― Hermann Hesse

"Wisdom cannot be imparted. Wisdom that a wise man attempts to impart always sounds like foolishness to someone else ... Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it." ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

"To hold our tongues when everyone is gossiping, to smile without hostility at people and institutions, to compensate for the shortage of love in the world with more love in small, private matters; to be more faithful in our work, to show greater patience, to forgo the cheap revenge obtainable from mockery and criticism: all these are things we can do." ― Hermann Hesse

"There is no escape. You can't be a vagabond and an artist and still be a solid citizen, a wholesome, upstanding man. You want to get drunk, so you have to accept the hangover. You say yes to the sunlight and pure fantasies, so you have to say yes to the filth and the nausea. Everything is within you, gold and mud, happiness and pain, the laughter of childhood and the apprehension of death. Say yes to everything, shirk nothing. Don't try to lie to yourself. You are not a solid citizen. You are not a Greek. You are not harmonious, or the master of yourself. You are a bird in the storm. Let it storm! Let it drive you! How much have you lied! A thousand times, even in your poems and books, you have played the harmonious man, the wise man, the happy, the enlightened man. In the same way, men attacking in war have played heroes, while their bowels twitched. My God, what a poor ape, what a fencer in the mirror man is- particularly the artist- particularly myself!" ― Hermann Hesse

Last edited by silke; 07-14-2016 at 02:59 AM. Reason: updated links

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have wondered as well.

i would say, based on his writing, especially Steppenwolf, which i have studied extensively, INTp might fit.

i would have to return to some of his work now that i know about socionics, though, to see if it is as i remember it.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa View Post
    i have wondered as well.

i would say, based on his writing, especially Steppenwolf, which i have studied extensively, INTp might fit.
    That's exactly what I thought too after reading it, but I haven't investigated Hesse's type in depth, so I'm not sure.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni peak, split between Fe and Te
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I thought from before he was INFp.
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that INFp or INTp seem to be the two most likely types.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Herman Hesse

Anyone else a fan of his books? I'm currently reading Steppenwolf. He is probably my favorite author; it's between him and Haruki Murakami.

I think Hesse is either IEI or LII, and probably a 4w5.

Any thoughts?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting.

He is my absolute favorite author. Steppenwolf is definitely his most powerful work, although N&G was a more fun read and Demian was more...gripping.

Personally I think he is almost definitely an E4, and I can see him being ILI, IEI, or perhaps LII.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm inclined to think Ni-ILI, knowing little more about him than through his work.

An LIE I know is devoted fan.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lean IEI personally..his descriptions of internal experience are just SO vivid and resonate with me so intensely. I literally feel sometimes like he is writing about me.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm.

I tend to compare him to Joyce, who I think is Ni-IEI and whose writing exhibits very clear Ti HA, which I don't think Hesse's writing does.

On the enneagram front, I think he was probably 4w5 sx-leading.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I agree. Definitely 4w5.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hermann Hesse

Interested in feedback on his type, preferably from people who have read his books.

Hermann Hesse

Hermann Hesse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni-INFp. If the philosophy expressed in Siddhartha isn't enough, the writing style should be (compare to the likes of Jung, Fitzgerald and Martel). That's discounting pictures
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Well, any intuitive is fairly obvious and he is well known for his philosophical outlook. I would say Ni over Ne...just because.

Funny that I was just looking for his book Damien today but only could find Siddhartha.
    OH MY GOD READ THEM ALL

Hesse is a genius and everyone should read all of his books. If I ever become a teacher, I will teach a course entirely devoted to Hesse.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Ni-INFp.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. He's got to be my identical or mirror, he just has to be. I relate to his writing more than anything in print on the face of this planet.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IEI-Ni sp/so 9w1

"During deep meditation it is possible to dispel time, to see simultaneously all the past, present, and future, and then everything is good, everything is perfect, everything is Brahman."

"If only there were a dogma to believe in. Everything is contradictory, everything tangential; there are no certainties anywhere. Everything can be interpreted one way and then again interpreted in the opposite sense."
    Last edited by silke; 07-03-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

IEI-Ni

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

IEI is a good typing.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its fascinating how people of different generations and times can possibly come to the same conclusions, even when separated by time and space.

Although not completely indicative, Hesse's focus on humanity, the soul, the individual, detachment towards worldly affairs point towards Ni ego of IEI before Ni of ILI.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    "Everything can be interpreted one way and then again interpreted in the opposite sense."
    You typed Nietzsche IEI-Ni for a similar reason. I doubt they´re the same type. My typing of Nietzsche is ILI-Ni. I wonder how you´d distinguish an opinion as the one you quoted from tendencies related to Dialectical-Algorithmic cognition with all the descriptions and comments on this page: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...Victor-Gulenko.

"One more graphical illustration of Dialectical perception. What do you see in the picture: a vase against a black background, or two facial profiles on a white background? It depends on which one for you is the background, and which is the figure. Some see a vase and the profiles turn into a dark background, others see two black profiles and the white vase goes into the background. But once a person sees both images, fluctuations of attention begin. The picture seems to pulsate: you see a vase, then the profiles. There is a dialectical exchange of background/foreground. Triggering negative reverse perspective, where distant or darkened objects are perceived more significantly than those located closer to the observer."

Hesse is obviously not ILI from what I´ve read. But Nietzsche seems a logical type.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd lean 4w5 sx/so > 9w1 (though he probably did have a 9/1 gut fix). He's a bit too immersed in cultural trends and vivid, figurative descriptions of inner experiences and spiritual convictions, there's none of the absent loft that you get with 9s, his energy is much more pointed (in this light someone like Jung would be a better candidate, though he does have a similar absorption). sx/so's tend to be the best at capturing the collective 'currents,' i.e. depictions of the 'bourgeoise,' drawing strength from being closer to suicide, there's always the tendency to match the inner with broader trends. he's just a bit too graphically poetic.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTj

For real

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    ESTj

For real
    if it is possible for you to show your work i would be delighted to see it

TIM
    Ni-ILI, 5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read Steppenwolf for a bit and immediately thought IxI for the type of the protagonist. IEI > ILI at the present moment.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steppenwolf was definitely some Ni-dominant... didn't seem quite emotionally embedded enough for IEI, but Ti-agenda would make some sense. his female compatriot also seemed SLE.

edit: the fact that he was the most significant expression of hesse's self-characterization lends credence to the IEI typing.
    Last edited by strrrng; 11-28-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

I thought the protagonist in Steppenwolf is Ni, too. It's some time, but I vaguely remember, that the parts with his internal monologue or sth. were quite interesting to read for me at that time.

Only book I had to read in school, that didn't completely bore me.

TIM
    ILI-Ni 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By letters, INFP would make most sense. But when you read his work he is a clearl Te/Fi valuer. I can’t see HA Ti. HA Fi makes far more sense. And if Siddharta does not offer a dialectical perspective, please point me to something that does? His writing style is rather clear and simple and the underlying emotions are strong, but more of the “Still waters run deep” type. Renounced intense passion in favor of a pervasive love that was propped up by a dialectical perspective.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

easy ILI-Ni...same as Joyce, Jung, Chekov, Trotsky, Sartre, Poe, Gibran, Nietzsche, Tarkovsky

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LVNA View Post
    And if Siddharta does not offer a dialectical perspective, please point me to something that does?
    "Narcissus and Goldmund" and "Beneath the wheel" are all about that dialectic, yeah.. actually most of his works are, "Steppenwolf" too

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LVNA View Post
    By letters, INFP would make most sense. But when you read his work he is a clearl Te/Fi valuer. I can’t see HA Ti. HA Fi makes far more sense. And if Siddharta does not offer a dialectical perspective, please point me to something that does? His writing style is rather clear and simple and the underlying emotions are strong, but more of the “Still waters run deep” type. Renounced intense passion in favor of a pervasive love that was propped up by a dialectical perspective.
    I fully agree: look at characters like Siddartha, Narziss and Goldmund, one-dimensional characters that are straight copies from Jung's works on archetypes and psychological types. I experience Hesse's writing style as rather factual, explanatory, lack of the poetic. No way that he was IEI, everything about him breathes ILI.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking