Thread: Enrico Fermi

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enrico Fermi

He has some seemingly contradictory traits, but I think I've finally come to a conclusion. What do you guys think based on VI?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First-gut reaction: ILI. I could see some other type with Te.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First-gut reaction: ILI. I could see some other type with Te such as LSE.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, I've changed my mind again.

He's definitely Te quadra. Apparently he tried to keep mathematical stuff to an extreme minimum.

Examples:

Fermi's way of teaching and thinking about quantum mechanics deserves special mention. His attitude was entirely pragmatic. Quantum mechanics is acceptable because its predictions agree with experiment. He once said that "the Schrödinger equation has no business agreeing so well." Nothing else counted. He devoted no time to such topics as the quantum theory of measurement. He was immune to the "Copenhagen spirit," both by temperament and by educational background. He was completely self-taught in quantum mechanics, an outsider to the Göttingen-Zürich-Copenhagen founders' circle. Fermi drew a firm line between physics and philosophy. Although he was endowed with remarkable analytic powers, Fermi often affected an aversion to abstract mathematics.

Lee tells the story that Fermi, at some point, decided to teach group theory to his private seminar. He took out his index cards on the subject and started first to discuss Abelian groups, then Burnside's theorem, and next the notion of a group's Center. Only much later did he get to the group concept itself. Some of the students expressed confusion at this seemingly erratic approach. "Group theory is nothing but a compilation of definitions," replied the master. So he was simply following the index at the end of Hermann Weyl's book in alphabetical order.
    http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-55/iss-6/p38.html

I can't express how horrible the second story sounds from a Ti POV.

Apparently Gulenko has typed him as ENTj. But I have a *really* hard time seeing him as an intuitive type. Currently ESTj is my first guess (I had thought he was ISFj, but the Te is pretty unmistakable). He was a master of calculation and "His contributions in pure theory and concrete experimental work were equally great. He could, with equal ease, solve abstract problems or design and build, with his own hands, astonishingly useful experimental tools." Not very ENTj-like to be known for building something with one's own hands.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I thought Te was clear based on photos, and Wikipedia confirmed that. The third photo down looks a lot like LSE. This could be another very interesting typing.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually know personally an ESTj who is also interested in physics. He's always building cool gadgets and is very hands-on in general.

The Fermi problem is based in Te and even Ne: using data or rough estimates to come up with a equally rough idea of how much something is.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a much better bio with tons of psychological details:

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-55/iss-6/p38.html

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, I already posted that, Rick.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Never be first, try to be second."