Thread: So I've got I and T but not so sure about the rest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So I've got I and T... but not so sure about the rest...

Okay, I need some help here. I know *for sure* that I am Introverted and Thinking. Now, the other two, I'm not so sure.

Sensing vs Intuition:

I used to test S and lately I've been testing N, but usually it's VERY borderline. Well, I'm not a good "here-and-now" observer. I typically miss out on everything - sight and sound (and smell because I have horrible allergies) - when I have a goal I'm trying to focus on. When I'm looking for something, I always can't find it and it's always right under my nose. When someone's talking to me I almost always miss words or phrases or misunderstand what they're saying.

I get "sensory overload" also. I love automobile racing, and when I play games like Gran Turismo I can tell exactly what's going on and act perfectly. But when I go out and autocross in my Miata (time trials in a course marked by cones in an open lot) I get confused by all the G-forces and loose-tight feelings.

On the other hand I'm not so sure about N either. Mainly, I don't understand how you can get info through Intuition. I'm big on T, so in order to come up with logical conclusions, don't you need facts, not gut feelings? I don't know. In terms of patterns I have pretty good number sense (like, what comes next in a certain series of numbers), but I don't know if that's N or my experience in doing a lot of math just letting me see things quicker. Likewise, I can pick up new skills very fast, and I am a very quick learner in school (second year of college right now, btw), but is that N or just very fast T?

Now, I do default on speaking in generalities rather than specific details. On essays I always write out the general noncontradicting concepts that frame my argument rather than describe specific anecdotes and that has given me many bad grades in high school history (I was in IB, so harsh grading). I always have to know the concept when I'm learning a new topic, rather than just accepting the given equations as they are and using them when I don't understand what they're doing. I don't know if this is pro-N or anti-N because sometimes I have a hard time trying to grasp the concept (big example: electromagnetism in Physics), but it just feels wrong to work out problems when I don't understand the concept. I like learning when it's about understanding a hard concept and I hate-hate-HATE route memorization.

Judging vs Perceiving:

This is worse than S-N. I test my J-P so close that it's basically 50-50. It was 53% J and 47% P on one test.

Now, I like things orderly; they just don't turn out that way. I hate being late and it gives me horrible anxiety, but I tend to be late more often than not because I procrastinated trying to finish an interesting problem, a videogame, a TV show, etc. I hate routine but sometimes I plan things because I'm really excited about it. And then I'm stubborn as hell so that when I get attached to a plan I get very POed when the plan changes or falls through.

My room is a "clean mess." I have piles of stuff, but in a way that I (usually) know where something is. Again, I would greatly prefer that everything was clean and proper, but it just doesn't seem that important and I'm lazy, so it doesn't turn out that way. Did I mention I procrastinate? I'll spend the entire day playing videogames and then stay up the rest of the night starting and finishing my homework because the pressure finally kicked in.

I guess this all seems very P but the thing is, I really fear the unexpected. It's probably my worst fear. I'm shy when meeting new people, shy when joining new groups, when trying new things, etc., etc. So my life actually ends up rather the same, day-to-day, rather than being spontaneous and free.

I've also looked specifically at just the type descriptions (sorry, MBTI types). I agree with everything the INTP profiles say, but looking at the INTJ reminds me that a lot of the time I want to do more than just *think*. For example, while being a theoretical physicist or a philosopher really appeals to me, I would much rather also use my mind to solve real world problems as well. Right now my ideal career would be a race car engineer/designer, where I can come up with amazing ideas and theories and then put them to the test. Actually, what would be the best would be being a race car driver, finding the best strategies to pass all my rivals and using the knowledge of physics and automobile dynamics to perfect my driving (though... there's probably a lot less T involved and more conditioned physical instinct in racing a car, unfortunately).

I used to test ISTJ in grade school, but it doesn't really make sense. Sure, I believe in loyalty and faithfulness, but just... not that much. ISTP is probably one of those types I want to be. Adventuresome, attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving... Yes, I am definitely attracted to stuff like that (see being race car driver above) but I end up not doing so because I'm more fearful than courageous enough to do those things.

Besides type inventory, I should describe aspects of my personality in general. I think it's pretty obvious I like cars and video games the most, and I like reading fiction as well. In terms of video games I like RPGs the most, followed by FPSes. I'm not super-good in terms of twitch-based games. You may say, "But FPSes are twitch games!" Yes, but I tend to play them strategically (and also why I almost never play linear FPSes single-player). In, say, Battlefield 2142, I'm usually the sniper, finding a nice hiding & sniping spot so that I'm killing my enemies by outsmarting them. Or I play support and find a solid defensive point where I can start firing on intruders before they even see me. I am awful at run-and-gun, because I can't react fast enough to shoot someone before they kill me. It might be surprising, then, when I say I like Quake 3, but that's because with the rocket launcher it becomes more of a game of quickly predicting rocket angles and trajectories and which way the enemy is going to bounce away from the splash damage.

I like RPGs the most, though, Western cRPGs to be specific, like Fallout and Planescape Torment. The reason behind this is that they allow me to inject myself as a character into a different world, where I can do things not possible in reality. Being a master swordsman or powerful wizard are some basic examples, but there are also fantastical situations in these games which I can explore or decide the fate of. Mainly, it's escapism, being myself in another world but having skills or traits I would like to have and then interacting with a realistic world which I shape while it shapes my character.

I'm horrible with RTSes, though. Twitch-gameplay with masses of units I have to control AND micromanage =(. I'm much better with TBS like chess, where I have the time to consider everything logically, or even just with RTSes in single-player where it's pauseable.

And I said I like fictional books. I like sci-fi and fantasy, mainly. My favorite books right now are by Dan Simmons - books like Hyperion and Ilium, where there's a crazy unexplained mystery situation that demystifies into an "excellent" logical reason behind everything. I like fantasy for a similar reason, as magic is always a mystery element, but in these tales I also like the strong heroic and self-sacrifice actions that turn out to be so poignant.

So... have at it and type me!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, all the concepts you listed are MBTI concepts. We here discuss socionics and type according to it.

If you want to get an idea, take a look here:

http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?t...ikisocion_home

Especially the "Links" session.

It's more useful if you talk about how you interact with other people, what you most like that people do or most dislike.

Nonetheless, what you wrote already provides some information. I already have some ideas but more information would be useful.

But, again, the way to look at it is different from the way you've done so far.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, pick a quadra. Also, you don't sound like much of a logical type. At least not to me. But that could be because I'm not receiving Ti from you. Not sure. Well if you are a logical type, try initially by going with the quadra + temperament approach. It's in the wiki. That should give you your type instantly. After that, just learn more and perhaps someday you really will know your type.

Some observations, lot's of facts from you, I also sense a lot of precognition, processed information. As if you present things knowing full well the implications of what you are saying, what conclusions can be drawn from them. Personally I take this as a sign of Ni > Si, but that doesn't have to be the case.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low focus on Ti, yes -- not necessarily low focus on "logic". Te quadra logical type is possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, all the concepts you listed are MBTI concepts. We here discuss socionics and type according to it.
    Sorry. I copy and pasted this on several forums, the rest MBTI so that's why, but I recognize the difference. I read that INTJ ~ INTp, and vice versa, right?

It's more useful if you talk about how you interact with other people, what you most like that people do or most dislike.
    I'll get back to you on that.

Well if you are a logical type, try initially by going with the quadra + temperament approach. It's in the wiki. That should give you your type instantly.
    Hm... I'm pretty sure I'm IJ, but I'm not sure about quadra. Maybe Alpha, but I see parts of myself in the rest also.

lot's of facts from you
    Well, I'm trying to let you guys decide so I provide a lot of facts for you to analyze.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are almost certainly an INTp, zhandao. Your described behaviour and attitudes are very clearly INTp (ILI) more than any other type in Socionics. Also the structure of your post suggests that type. And you are definitely not an INTj.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    You are almost certainly an INTp, zhandao. Your described behaviour and attitudes are very clearly INTp (ILI) more than any other type in Socionics. Also the structure of your post suggests that type. And you are definitely not an INTj.
    Can you explain why?

Ok back to this:
    Things I dislike:
    Being interrupted when I'm in the middle of almost anything. Thinking, gaming, movies, TV, homework, etc.
    Being criticized, because I take it personally, and a lot of the time I already know I did something wrong and feel "insulted" that someone thinks I have not realized that.
    Irrational thinking, or seemingly so. For example if someone says something that I believe is wrong based on personal experience or logical thinking, and they don't back it up.
    Indecisiveness. I'm impatient and I don't like it in myself either.

I don't really specifically like any behavior, it's more of a, "As long as you don't bother me, you're fine."

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zhandao View Post
    Sorry. I copy and pasted this on several forums, the rest MBTI so that's why, but I recognize the difference. I read that INTJ ~ INTp, and vice versa, right?
    No. Forget that. I, and most people here, will say that you should just forget MBTI altogether when typing in socionics. Some others will say that you can use MBTI, you'll have to decide what makes sense, but fortunately I don't think that anyone here supports anymore the j/p switch nonsense.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said you "believe in loyalty and faithfulness, but not that much". Care to elaborate?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all these aspects you express a consistent INTp profile in typical attitudes and behaviours:

1. That you stongly identify with being Introverted and Thinking.

2. That you describe yourself as not "a good "here-and-now" observer" and that you when looking for something "always can't find it" and then say "it's always right under my nose."

3. That you get "sensory overloads".

4. That you don't understand how you can get info through Intuition. (This is a typical difference between INTps and INFps. The INFps tend to trust their intuition more.)

5. That you have pretty good number sense.

6. That you "always write out the general noncontradicting concepts that frame [your] argument rather than describe specific anecdotes." and "always have to know the concept when [...] learning a new topic." (This is typical of people who are relatively poor at inductive reasoning but strong in deductive logic. When you argue, or when someone else is informing you of something or is trying to convince you of something, you prefer the conclusion to be presented first. Then you can start analyzing the details. But you dislike having to go through lots of details to reach the conclusion.)

7. That you test 50-50 on the J/P scale. (That test result is very typical of INTps.)

8. That you "like things orderly; they just don't turn out that way." (Typical INTp and a rather strong argument against INTj.)

9. That you procrastinate "trying to finish an interesting problem" and as a result tend to be doing your "duties" in the last minute and as a result tend to be slightly for appointments. That you "spend the entire day playing videogames and then stay up the rest of the night starting and finishing my homework because the pressure finally kicked in."

10. That you "hate routine but sometimes [...] plan things because [you are] really excited about it" and that you are "stubborn as hell so that when [you] get attached to a plan [...] get very POed when the plan changes or falls through" is actually an even more typical trait of people with Asperger/autism, but stubbornness is very typical of INTps and IXTps in general, and a lot of the typical INTp traits are also typically autistic. That you "really fear the unexpected" is also perfectly in line with this type phenomenon.

11. That your "room is a 'clean mess.'" where you "have piles of stuff, but in a way that [you] (usually) know where something is." (Typical of irrational intuitive types.)

12. That you are lazy. (Most typical of the IP temperament, not typical of INTjs.)

13. That you are "shy when meeting new people, shy when joining new groups, when trying new things, etc., etc." and that as a result your "life actually ends up rather the same, day-to-day, rather than being spontaneous and free."

14. That you "agree with everything the INTP profiles say."

15. That the idea of "being a theoretical physicist or a philosopher really appeals" to you, while you at the same time "would much rather also use my mind to solve real world problems as well."

16. That you would put your ideas and theories "to the test". An INTj would typically not express himself like that, because INTjs are not very interested in putting their theories under empirical scrutiny. This difference reflects the difference between the Ti outlook of INTjs and the Te outlook of INTps.

17. That you are attracted to the "[a]dventuresome, attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving..." is no clear indication in itself, but if combined with an attraction to risk-taking, it speaks against INTj and for INTp as a possible type. Compare this: http://www.socionics.com/articles/intjorintp.htm , especially the part about their Dual-seeking functions.

18. That you strive for perfection, asking yourself "what would be the best would be being a race car driver", that you are trying to find "the best strategies to pass all my rivals and using the knowledge of physics and automobile dynamics to perfect [your] driving." This attitude is a clear indication of an NT type anyway.

19. That you are drawn to "escapism, being [your]self in another world". Can be seen as a manifestation of Ni.

20. That you are "horrible with RTSes [...] Twitch-gameplay with masses of units [you] have to control AND micromanage" but "much better with TBS like chess, where [you] have the time to consider everything logically."

21. That you like books "where there's a crazy unexplained mystery situation that demystifies into an 'excellent' logical reason behind everything."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zhandao, this is something I hate to do because it simply causes biases, but take Phaedrus with a pinch of salt. You'll probably learn as we go on anyway. Listen to someone like niffweed; when he doesn't talk shit, he'll give you a benchmark for ILI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    You said you "believe in loyalty and faithfulness, but not that much". Care to elaborate?
    As in, I think they are good values but I don't necessarily live my life by them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta, Te suggestive? INFj is my guess.
    delta nf (?) ... 4w5 (?)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    zhandao, this is something I hate to do because it simply causes biases, but take Phaedrus with a pinch of salt. You'll probably learn as we go on anyway. Listen to someone like niffweed; when he doesn't talk shit, he'll give you a benchmark for ILI.
    I'm sure niffweed will agree with me that you are most likely an ILI (INTp), zhandao.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    sorry Ezra, but personally all i've heard from niffweed recently was just lazy blabber.
    Yeah but I mean when he doesn't talk shit. Of course he's lazy. But lazy people have insights too.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Being interrupted when I'm in the middle of almost anything. Thinking, gaming, movies, TV, homework, etc.
    Being criticized, because I take it personally, and a lot of the time I already know I did something wrong and feel "insulted" that someone thinks I have not realized that.
    Irrational thinking, or seemingly so. For example if someone says something that I believe is wrong based on personal experience or logical thinking, and they don't back it up.
    Indecisiveness. I'm impatient and I don't like it in myself either."

You sound like an INFj to me. Maybe you don't fit all the stereotypes, but the tone of your posts and your general behavior suggest that it is true.

As for RPGs, I like them too but I am MUCH better at twitch-gameplay. I am HORRIBLE at chess. I stink so much.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These titles make me want to avoid this board altogether.

But I just cannot help myself in attempting to steer people in the right direction first.

zhandao, your conceptions of socionics are wrong. Correct them by studying socionics.us and wikisocion.org.