Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 82

Thread: PoLR: greatest strength or greatest weakness?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default PoLR: greatest strength or greatest weakness?

    I think that each function has an advantage and disadvantage in each person.

    For example relates to emotional expression, but also loss of objectivity. Is a strength or a weakness? Well, it's both. This is something neglected by Socionics.

    Another example I'd like to use is the polr of ENTjs which is . In socionics, it is treated as the greatest weakness. But is it really the greatest strength? Without asa polr, ENTjs wouldn't be risk takers. The weak polr allows them to be detached from physical comfort, and therefore willing to take risks and test limits. Sacrificing comfort is no big deal for ENTjs.

    What are your thought on this?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    you know, i was just thinking about this these days, but not specifically in regard to socionics.

    But the INTj has as his weak point, Se, or use of force.

    I was just thinking the other day about my restraint and how this is a strength for me.

    so i would agree that the polr can be seen as a lack of the negative qualities of that function, and even a strength of the type.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Absolutely ... and this is something that socionics has neglected.

    is a brilliant strength of INTjs, as they have amazing self-restraint.

  4. #4
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, Hugo, yes.

    It always occurred to me that we have weaknesses because we want strengths. So I've never understood why people are always trying to improve their role function or PoLR, because that's not the way they work.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hugo, can you say a little more on why you think socionics is neglecting this aspect of the polr? at present it seems like just a shift in viewpoint. but are you saying, as cone seems to suggest, that socionics might encourage people to work on their "weak" points?

  6. #6
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    For example relates to emotional expression, but also loss of objectivity. Is a strength or a weakness? Well, it's both. This is something neglected by Socionics.
    He seems to say that Socionics has neglected the idea that the PoLR is both strength and weakness in terms of addressing and discussing it?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok, couldn't this same perspective be applied to every single function preference? I mean, every function has it's good and bad moments/uses.

    From what I understood of the function descriptions they listed both positive and negative aspects. Also, I think this is the same concept that typoloy has adapted on a whole already. It's a major part of typing, whether or not people admit it, to find weaknesses and strengths in types. That's all the descriptions do, basically. Of course, I think descriptions should also include the negative sides of types more so This possibly would stop people from mistyping themselves as much and picking types they aspire to be like.

    Then again, maybe you're just talking about the questionable distinction between function order labels, and which ones should be placed in which order. In that case, I would agree, it seems paradoxial. I guess it's difficult to say which functions are strengths and which are weaknesses. Of course, people are going to assume that their primary functions are their strengths and their PoLR is their weakness, simply because socnioncs presents it this way. The whole idea of ordering functions by rating is pretty misleading. I've even seen some people go as far as numbering lists to represent the strengths and weaknesses. Maybe it would be better to simply categorize them and give an explination of both sides, instead of instantly assuming it is a strength or weakness?

    Added: And by this I mean giving an explination of both sides of every function for each type and how it manifests itself in each type positively and negatively without using hierarchy to determine it's effectiveness.

    Would that solve the problem?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you mean to say that the lack of presence of the fourth function is a strength then I would disagree with you. Individuals may perceive it as a strength however, as they associate the lack of the fourth function with the abundance of the first function. I will try to explain this with an example: Te from the point of view of ISFps and INFps will be resented for completely different reasons. ISFps associate Ni with Te because Te is created through Ni. (Ni accepts, Te produces.) Thus they can come view Si as the antithesis of Te, because Ni represses Si. For INFps it will be the other way around.

    In conclusion, PoLR: not a strength, but definately perceived to be one.

  9. #9
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree with Hugo, although I have one question:


    So what's actually good about having a PoLR?
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  10. #10
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm with herzblut... my PoLR has been giving me grief lately.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    I agree with Hugo, although I have one question:


    So what's actually good about having a PoLR?
    Yeah! What's so great about that?

  12. #12
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You know I'm supposed to be really upset right now. And who knows? Maybe I am! How the hell would I know?! GAAAHHHHH
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I suppose as a polr helps you to give less consideration to people, and therefore more consideration to what actually needs to be done.

  14. #14
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes and no. On one hand I can clearly see what needs to be done. But on the other hand... it really fucks with me to see that I'm hurting someone. And it's not even directly me, more the situation. That doesn't make it any easier for that person though. And it sorta makes me feel like a monster.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So (as a polr) is a weakness, but also a fantastic strength.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah, sometimes I feel evil . . .

    Not sure I see much strength in a weak

  17. #17
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    yeah, sometimes I feel evil . . .

    Not sure I see much strength in a weak
    Hmm...maybe being able to do bad bad things because of a lack of a guilty concience?
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Herz, I shan't tell lest others think ill of me . . .

  19. #19
    mimisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    yeah, sometimes I feel evil . . .

    Not sure I see much strength in a weak
    Hmm...maybe being able to do bad bad things because of a lack of a guilty concience?
    funny enough, Herzy. hmm.. if we think about the holocaust, aushwitz, concentration camps etc.

    Anyway, I still can't see what in the world is the Se PoLR good for..
    It bothers me a lot.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    ... I still can't see what in the world is the Se PoLR good for.
    The answer is in this thread.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim (nlo)
    He seems to say that Socionics has neglected the idea that the PoLR is both strength and weakness in terms of addressing and discussing it?
    Yes. But not only for the polr but for all the functions of each type.

    For example, in socionics is treated as the entp's biggest strength. But it is also a big weakness because it is the cause of a high level of absent-mindedness.

  22. #22
    MysticSonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Being able to use Se effectively =/= having a less amount of self-restraint than another one whom does not possess such an effective Se function.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

    "Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

  23. #23
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow, that's true, Hugo. Just like for ESTps, how having a can make us WAYYYY to aggressive sometimes.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  24. #24
    detail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    as a PoLR is about being the "superheroes" of society at the expense of not being personally appreciated but receiving cold recognition instead. Hidden Agenda seems to balance this in order for the goal of the "role" to be correctly oriented. I thought about that long ago but didn't look yet if all the hidden agendas act as their corresponding PoLR police to prevent the PoLRs from becoming too "individualistic" towards society thus assuring the PoLR will remain a strength. Maybe it's only a coincidence for PoLR and hidden agenda though. I can also see how "To love" would regularize as a PoLR for SLIs and ILIs in order for these two types not to become too harsh with those they know personnally, thus keeping their role of objective, ultimate evaluators. Of course it doesn't work perfectly as the human mind is more complex than a 2 variables pattern can explain. I think it's already a part of Socionics except for the "role in the society" part.

  25. #25

    Default

    Detail you are talking about social benefits rather than personal strengths and weaknesses . . . can you elaborate along the personal lines?

    :wink:

  26. #26
    detail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell Demon
    Detail you are talking about social benefits rather than personal strengths and weaknesses . . . can you elaborate along the personal lines?

    :wink:
    That was the point as i mentionned i was reffering to social "roles". Actually i wanted people to elaborate the theory with their own views of their types but didn't say it clearly. As for elaboration along the personal lines, well i sense a personnal consequence of the PoLR's strength floating all over the post, particularly in that passage "not being personally appreciated". That's also why i can't be sure of the type/role in society theory because the functions involved in the case of my own type tend towards the direction of such a theory.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Stephen Hawking can't walk..
    It's also his strength. If he could actually walk, do you think he would have spent all that time writing so many crappy books and studying so much nerdy crap?!

    See, it works.

  28. #28
    detail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreatuv
    See, it works.
    Yes, you're right, it works.

  29. #29
    detail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreatuv
    Ok, couldn't this same perspective be applied to every single function preference? I mean, every function has it's good and bad moments/uses.

    From what I understood of the function descriptions they listed both positive and negative aspects. Also, I think this is the same concept that typoloy has adapted on a whole already. It's a major part of typing, whether or not people admit it, to find weaknesses and strengths in types. That's all the descriptions do, basically. Of course, I think descriptions should also include the negative sides of types more so This possibly would stop people from mistyping themselves as much and picking types they aspire to be like.

    Then again, maybe you're just talking about the questionable distinction between function order labels, and which ones should be placed in which order. In that case, I would agree, it seems paradoxial. I guess it's difficult to say which functions are strengths and which are weaknesses. Of course, people are going to assume that their primary functions are their strengths and their PoLR is their weakness, simply because socnioncs presents it this way. The whole idea of ordering functions by rating is pretty misleading. I've even seen some people go as far as numbering lists to represent the strengths and weaknesses. Maybe it would be better to simply categorize them and give an explination of both sides, instead of instantly assuming it is a strength or weakness?

    Added: And by this I mean giving an explination of both sides of every function for each type and how it manifests itself in each type positively and negatively without using hierarchy to determine it's effectiveness.

    Would that solve the problem?

    Yes but not necessarily from the perspective that people (As tendencies show for different types) have a dimension that is overlooked by doing that which is direction. Entropy, when considering a more complete formula that takes direction into account is different because it becomes relative to the hypothetical destination, which means that functions strengths and weaknesses are relative to the general tendency too. That's what makes a PoLR a strength and not an alternative, like your Hawking's exemple seemed to imply.

  30. #30
    MysticSonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That could easily be the result of having strong Fe.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

    "Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

  31. #31
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That makes sense. I'm still trying to figure out how weak helps me at all.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NFp-
    Yeah. What's the strength of a weak ?


    And the strenth of having a poor is having , poor is , etc.. that's all it is.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, it's serendipity if you're an INFp like I am. We don't like to swim against the current so we just figure out which way it's going and just go with the flow. ESTjs, who have very strong Te, don't know which way the flow is going, or if there is even a flow at all.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Uh, that's in response to "what is the strength to having weak Te?"

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    993
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    Well, it's serendipity if you're an INFp like I am. We don't like to swim against the current so we just figure out which way it's going and just go with the flow..
    I even say that! "Just go with the flow."
    <--- Me pouring out all my love on you!

    Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints.

  36. #36
    mimisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    ... I still can't see what in the world is the Se PoLR good for.
    The answer is in this thread.
    Yes, I can see, but still I find having a Se PoLR most uncomfortable

    Anyway, in the end is just the price we pay to be strong with other functions

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    ... I still can't see what in the world is the Se PoLR good for.
    The answer is in this thread.
    Yes, I can see, but still I find having a Se PoLR most uncomfortable

    Anyway, in the end is just the price we pay to be strong with other functions
    You'll be more independant for it, in a myraid of ways, of course that will get you hated a lot, since most people can't do this and feel intimidated by going against the grind. Your resistance to authority or control will shape you in a unique way.

    Shit, actually, I can't bullshit this one, you're right... that isn't worth the constant hassle associated with PoLR

    In reality, you'll always be a reject and no one will ever understand you.
    It's true. Why lie? There's nothing good about PoLR

  38. #38
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Everything in life is a trade off I guess. Balance is key. blah blah blah
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  39. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ying yang

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreatuv
    You'll be more independant for it, in a myraid of ways, of course that will get you hated a lot, since most people can't do this and feel intimidated by going against the grind. Your resistance to authority or control will shape you in a unique way.

    Shit, actually, I can't bullshit this one, you're right... that isn't worth the constant hassle associated with PoLR

    In reality, you'll always be a reject and no one will ever understand you.
    It's true. Why lie? There's nothing good about PoLR
    I'm not sure if you have a clear idea about what a Se PoLR means.

    I think it's the other way, not bearing the authority or control, disliking authority and control which is a pressure to a Se PoLR
    Yeah, thanks for restating the obvious, dumbshit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •