Thread: Coordination

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coordination

This topic stems form Salawa's topic on how coordinated Justin Timberlake is ( ).

I think that coordination isn't functionally related, but only comes from training and genetics.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i agree with this. but some people are naturally more coordinated than others to begin with. and the more coordinated from what i've been able to tell are usually sensing.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively
    yeah i agree with this. but some people are naturally more coordinated than others to begin with. and the more coordinated from what i've been able to tell are usually sensing.
    no shit.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm coordination deficient.
    I don't think it's because I didn't like sports games as a kid. I did play a lot os sports games in early youth, so I don't think it's a developmental error caused by my own habits.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be a bit of one and a bit of the other. I know very coordinated N types and uncoordinated S types, but there does seem to be a tendency, even if it isn't an overwhelming one.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively
    no shit.
    yeah no shit!!!

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coordination

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    This topic stems form Salawa's topic on how coordinated Justin Timberlake is ( ).

I think that coordination isn't functionally related, but only comes from training and genetics.
    Well, whatever it is I have a general lackage in that area, I think. I would love to have a quiet gracefulness. Instead I have a quiet clumsiness.

If one can gain coordination through training, even partially, how would one go about that? (Not to divert the topic, but I am curious.)
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde

Well, whatever it is I have a general lackage in that area, I think. I would love to have a quiet gracefulness. Instead I have a quiet clumsiness.

If one can gain coordination through training, even partially, how would one go about that? (Not to divert the topic, but I am curious.)

i'm actually curious about this, too. i'm another not-very-coordinated person heh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to think that I'm pretty coordinated, but I have always been good at sports, just too lazy to play them that often. (Except Badminton, been playing that a lot this year).

I expect the best way to train anything is to use it. So play sports, maybe learn to dance, or take up a martial art. Use your body.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just accept that you are a sensory type...

My general coordination is good I think. Or at least decent. I did a lot of sports when younger and that is probably part of it. However my fine motoric coordination is the worse than any of the other people I know. In my experience Si-ego types tend to have pretty awesome fine motoric coordination.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I have very good coordination overall. I am even described as graceful by almost everyone I come in contact with. I started playing tennis and dancing early and I think that helped. I have a lot of other issues with (possibly) sensing related activities though and these can be very frustrating.
    Socionics: XNFx
    MBTI: INFJ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan
    I think I have very good coordination overall. I am even described as graceful by almost everyone I come in contact with. I started playing tennis and dancing early and I think that helped. I have a lot of other issues with (possibly) sensing related activities though and these can be very frustrating.
    Liar

..I mean, go on! Explain these "sensing" issues.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard
    Quote Originally Posted by Megan
    Liar

..I mean, go on! Explain these "sensing" issues.
    lol, I'll try explaining them but speaking of my sensing issues makes me uncomfortable, like I am about to be criticized for them or something. I mentioned one of them in another thread quite recently. One of the main ones has to do with spatial awareness. Like I have trouble remembering the spot where I noticed something and I can easily over or underestimate the distance between objects by a whole lot, strangely I do not have this issue with the tennis court. Also, I tend to be a quite oblivious to physical objects that are in my environment. I can spend all day in a room and not notice things like the color of the paint on the walls and the furniture, carpet etc, unless they really stand out for some reason, this can even happen in places that I spend a lot of time in. I am often asked by relatives/friends questions like "Did you really never noticed that before?" or "How could you not have seen that", that latter question bugs me a whole lot. If I try to take in a lot of the details in the things around me I get a bit over-stimulated and almost confused. Crowds especially can be difficult because I can get a type of sensory paralysis if something is going wrong in them because I will take a long time to know what is happening and can just run or freeze, usually run. I see the whole of an object and not the specific details of an object usually, especially if it a big object with lots of parts, If was to really pay attention to this computer that I have been using for over a year, it would most likely look like a whole new object with many parts I didn't notice it had before. Then I have next to no recollection of internal physical experiences like pain and I cannot describe it even when I am experiencing it and after I can only remember those types of experiences as being good or bad but not actually what they felt like. This is only the tip of the ice-berg of many "sensing" issues . I will not really go into the problems they have caused me.
    Socionics: XNFx
    MBTI: INFJ

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

obviously, to an extent.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan View Post
    Then I have next to no recollection of internal physical experiences like pain and I cannot describe it even when I am experiencing it and after I can only remember those types of experiences as being good or bad but not actually what they felt like. This is only the tip of the ice-berg of many "sensing" issues . I will not really go into the problems they have caused me.
    i relate with this. i was in france during the horrible heatwave. i wanted to relay this story to a friend, how miserable i was during the heatwave, etc. i was completely at a loss to describe what it felt like. i'm certain i was miserable the whole time, but i couldn't really describe what it felt like for the life of me. i could describe everything that was going on around me in pretty good detail, all the weird chaotic things going on around me, but i couldn't describe what i was feeling internally at the time. nor could i describe what it was like to be in 104 degree weather in the middle of paris for a week (i was sick with an ear infection, as well!) it's almost like some sort of odd blocking mechanism on my own part.

fwiw, i also tend to really enjoy the sort of slow, graceful type ballet exercises (some yoga postures do the same sort of thing) where i have to make these slow, deliberate movements. mostly because they're difficult for me.

re: genetics. don't really know. i think i picked up reasonable flexibility from my mother's side of the family, but my dad boxed in his youth (and apparently he was pretty good at it) so i figure his coordination ain't half bad. i don't think i inherited that trait. (;
    Last edited by implied; 12-24-2007 at 06:44 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think coordination has anything at all to do with socionics. (classical socionics, anyway.)

There have been INTj basketball players, baseball players, sprinters, etc. Therefore, coordination and socionics must not be related. (especially because Augusta's socionics only deals with matters of perception, neither work nor action.)

Just because you know how much force you need to apply to get something moving, doesn't mean you have the talent to move it as expected.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lack of a direct 100% correlation does not necessarily imply the lack of a trend or general tendency. The fact of the matter is, most sports demand Si because they require players to track moving objects.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I'll grant you that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am very coordinated from playing drums(i'm somewhat exceptional, at least better than the other amatuers in town), and think that it's a matter of treating your body well. stay consistent with a stretch routine and you'll feel more co-ordinated in a week, promise.
    asd

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post

Coordinated in/at what? And, in what generalization of the term?

For instance, electronic coordination, as a generalization, is more apt on Gen X than in Gen Boomers.

In contrast, I am highly apt in using a chainsaw, but daydreaming causes me to miss turns while driving, lol.

Soooo many variations of the question, if you can see what I mean.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae View Post
    I have Si PoLR and don't know how to please women
    Bummer...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been really, really uncoordinated, and for some reason unable to overcome any sort of defienciency in myself in this area. I've never been able to dribble, throw, shoot, or be athletic at all. I think it's mostly a genetic thing(with the genetic factor not related to functions), and Sensors being better at coordination simply from a focus on things about it that are intimately connected with the focus on senses.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed something that may or not be true, regarding coordination: even though Se is the stereotype for such a thing, I have witnessed very good coordination in Ne's, that differs from some Se's in the sense that it is more 'graceful'. I would hypothesize that this has to do with the fact that Ne is correlated with the underlying patterns, so if one is leading (or even secondary) in this function, and have some natural athletic talent, they may be able to grasp the underlying dynamics of a sport and be very coordinated.

I find myself a clutz in 99% of things, but when it comes time to actually try, I get in some weird mindstate where I'm innately focused, and become extremely sharp. boxing and halo 3 are my two best examples.

Creepy-Diana

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most things, it's a combination of both genetics and conditioning. I think everyone has their own optimal level of coordination. The human body was designed to move; we're an animal that's capable of remarkable feats of agility and getting out of touch with these vessels that connect us to our world has never really been an option until recently.

There was a study out a little while back I remember that showed that learning to juggle can actually alter the size of your brain. (Here's an article about it if you're interested.)
    Last edited by Animal; 12-26-2007 at 03:15 AM.