Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People Affected By Cyber-Bullying

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default People Affected By Cyber-Bullying

I actually think these people are weak and pathetic. You can't bully someone via a computer, and if you're affected by it, you have to be 200% more sensitive that any normal human being.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that said, people do have emotional reactions to stuff that happens on line. *shrugs*

you'd have to figure in some type of mental illness for somebody to take things too far.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: People Affected By Cyber-Bullying

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    I actually think these people are weak and pathetic.
    I agree to some extent, but then again, i've never actually been E-bullied so I wouldn't know.

You can't bully someone via a computer
    You must be wrong... because, well... it happens, I've seen it on the news and in stories on the interweb.

and if you're affected by it, you have to be 200% more sensitive that any normal human being.
    What makes a normal human being?

In this day and age, there are millions of people who live most of their lives on the internet, to them it's just the same as hanging out with friends at a local pub... There has to be some medium in which assholes can still mess with those people...

Please don't hurt my feelings... I may go kill myself.

Or not.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why you go around telling that other people are weak and pathetic...so what? You're weak and pathetic too, in comparison to many other people.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, we're generally talking about kids here. I wouldn't judge them so harshly. Additionally, this topic is kind of too general to say much that's fruitful. If we got into more particular cases it would probably be easier to tell when someone was overreacting or if they were truly being wronged. Mostly though it's a matter of perspective (isn't everything?)
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    It'd be no different than bullying someone over the phone. You're not in direct contact, but you can still impact each other.
    I think it's easier online that it would be on the phone. At least on the phone it'd be like, "click."

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh?? I dunno. What is wrong with being affected by things over the internet?

Like if you read a bad news on the internet, don't you get affected by it? Or are you heartless?
    Or if a friend and you get into an argument on IM, you don't get affected??
    Say on the forums, you've been talking to this person for awhile, and maybe that person does something to hurt you over the internet? Don't tell me you don't feeling anything at all!
    Isn't bullying someone on the internet the same as real life bullying?? It's still people who are involved. Or course you can say that they can just disappear/leave, since it's more likely that they don't know each other. But I believe sometimes things are not that simple.
    I mean, isn't it human to feel? It's us humans that are using the internet to communicate.
    Obviously I don't mean that people are supposed to react to every tiny situation that happens.

Bah.. Whatever.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I don't know why you go around telling that other people are weak and pathetic...so what? You're weak and pathetic too, in comparison to many other people.
    But you base it purely on physical appearance and physical capabilities. This is why you could never be an LIE - you are far too good with Se. I know I am physically quite weak, but I place very little value on physical strength. I place as much value on that as I do on being able to wife-beat effectively. In my eyes, I am mentally one of the strongest people I've met. I'm the least susceptible to everything from modern consumerism to harsh words. No one could ever say that I was pathetic - I'd wonder why they pitied me, because I see no reason for them to do so.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    But you base it purely on physical appearance and physical capabilities. This is why you could never be an LIE - you are far too good with Se. I know I am physically quite weak, but I place very little value on physical strength. I place as much value on that as I do on being able to wife-beat effectively. In my eyes, I am mentally one of the strongest people I've met. I'm the least susceptible to everything from modern consumerism to harsh words. No one could ever say that I was pathetic - I'd wonder why they pitied me, because I see no reason for them to do so.
    So what, even if you're strong, there's no reason to call others weak and pathetic, but more reasons to try and protect them (if you're stronger, you've got an excess of strenght that can be channeled into helping others over being boastful on internet forums).

By the way, I don't necessarily actively place value on strenght, I was merely countering your argument. Most of my working out is done to burn excess energy, calm down, and be mentally more alert.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think these people are weak and pathetic. You can't bully someone via a computer, and if you're affected by it, you have to be 200% more sensitive that any normal human being.
    Wow, you're really seeing the whole picture here, and your opinion is one that strives to be impartial and objective.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I saw a dead bird last week and it made me want to slash my wrists.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in essence, Ezra is also saying that anything besides physical bullying doesn't exist?
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+ √26

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    + √26
    You guys are morons.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a person that cannot handle being told "omg wtf u fag" does not deserve anybody's sympathy.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    a person that cannot handle being told "omg wtf u fag" does not deserve anybody's sympathy.
    It's not sympathy that's being asked but at least not being told that they suck. I don't understand what people have against weaknesses. They're part of human nature, and to climb out of them the last thing a person needs is to be told that they suck because they're weak, since it builds a negative feedback cycle.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the general sense I see both sides.

Bullying need not employ physical violence to achieve its end and therefore is perfectly applicable to an online setting. Of course, the impersonal and physically-disconnected nature of online interaction implies the freedom of choice with respect to association. So we can conclude that online bullying can and does occur, but that to a greater extent than normal, the victim is a willing participant.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone who bully's by computer is even weaker, cause it's to easy sitting safe behind your computer bullying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can't truly understand the effects of bullying until you get bullied yourself.
    have any of you heard the story about this thirteen-year-old who fell in love with a boy she met on the internet? well, this girl was much maligned at her school and when the boy found out the stories circulating about her, he decided to internet break up with her. now, this girl wasn't feeling very well. she was going through a depression and this certainly didn't help. she committed suicide. later, it was discovered that there had never been any boy at all. a family living nearby were pulling a mean prank on her. they knew the girl and apparently disliked her very much. the daughter started the sordid affair posing as a cool teenage boy and was later encouraged by her entire brood: mommy and daddy included.

the pen is mightier than the sword.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mustachio
    you can't truly understand the effects of bullying until you get bullied yourself.
    have any of you heard the story about this thirteen-year-old who fell in love with a boy she met on the internet? well, this girl was much maligned at her school and when the boy found out the stories circulating about her, he decided to internet break up with her. now, this girl wasn't feeling very well. she was going through a depression and this certainly didn't help. she committed suicide. later, it was discovered that there had never been any boy at all. a family living nearby were pulling a mean prank on her. they knew the girl and apparently disliked her very much. the daughter started the sordid affair posing as a cool teenage boy and was later encouraged by her entire brood: mommy and daddy included.

the pen is mightier than the sword.
    +2
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not reading this whole thread as i dont want to, but in refrence to the recent story about the teenager who killed herself over this fake "romance", It's not the bullies fault she was depressed and weak to begin with. Thats her issue, deal with it. If she was that pathetic to kill herself over something so stupid, that's her choice and they were just the straw that broke the camels back. She would have done it sooner or later. I'm so tired of hearing about this, it's not their fault. People die everyday and frankly no one cares. Move onnn.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    I'm not reading this whole thread as i dont want to, but in refrence to the recent story about the teenager who killed herself over this fake "romance", It's not the bullies fault she was depressed and weak to begin with. Thats her issue, deal with it. If she was that pathetic to kill herself over something so stupid, that's her choice and they were just the straw that broke the camels back. She would have done it sooner or later. I'm so tired of hearing about this, it's not their fault. People die everyday and frankly no one cares. Move onnn.
    I don't think you can possibly put the blame on just one person in this situation.
    It's just cause and effect. You can't entirely blame the bully, yet the bully did not consider the possible consequences to her actions, and that itself is bad enough.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should really work on your PoLR. first of all, i'll remind you that you're speaking of an ill thirteen-year-old who was at the doorstep of puberty. can you remotely understand how that feels? second, adults took advantage of her condition to rape her innocent mind toying with her fragile trust. adults hurting a child; does that register with you? doesn't matter whether or not they knew she was ill, they persecuted her. and don't tell me that i'm exaggerating this by using overblown words. this is only a minute taste of what she felt. you can't even begin to understand mental illness. third, how can you say that she would have killed herself anyways. got a crystal ball there Nostradamus? depression is a genuine illness not an emo culture fad.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+38/7

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The offenders in question shouldn't be prosecuted because it sets a bad precedent, basically saying that you can't harass anyone online because they might kill themselves. Some forms of harassment can be proven to be extreme and unreasonable, but this one cannot because there is no clear measure of who was involved to what extent. The most you can say is that an unhealthy young girl was preyed upon by ignorant peers who, while not having her best interest at heart, probably didn't intend on something bad happening to her, and didn't really know what they were doing.

That's probably as far as you can get with most cases of cyber-bullying, but this only deals with the cases in hindsight, and doesn't address the presence of the sadism and cruelty that goes into this kind of behavior.

As far as making fun of the victims' "weakness" goes, none of you know what you are talking about. Not all these kids are depressed hyper-sensitives. A lot of them are exposed to extremely cruel treatment from the people whose approval they think they need in order to feel accepted. That's a totally normal notion that millions of kids have in school, and many more of them than just the "sensitive minority" can be manipulated emotionally over the internet in horrible ways. When someone looks up to you it's easy to hurt them.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mustachio
    you should really work on your PoLR. first of all, i'll remind you that you're speaking of an ill thirteen-year-old who was at the doorstep of puberty. can you remotely understand how that feels? second, adults took advantage of her condition to rape her innocent mind toying with her fragile trust. adults hurting a child; does that register with you? doesn't matter whether or not they knew she was ill, they persecuted her. and don't tell me that i'm exaggerating this by using overblown words. this is only a minute taste of what she felt. you can't even begin to understand mental illness. third, how can you say that she would have killed herself anyways. got a crystal ball there Nostradamus? depression is a genuine illness not an emo culture fad.
    I know full well what depression feels like and how it clouds your judgement, but I would take full responsibility for choosing to kill myself. It was her CHOICE. I'd never, ever blame it on anyone else. It's no ones fault but her own, she was weak. Do you really care that she's dead? Didn't think so. People die, it's life. Who cares, move on.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Why can't you people be nice to each other?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    Why can't you people be nice to each other?
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not intentionally being ignorant, just honest. If you really feel bad for this girl and are this bothered by it to keep bringing this up, I think you should probobly move on with your life. If you think random strangers will care at all when you die, you're wrong. It's comical this is making news, her family has made a joke out of her.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

IT MAY BE TRUE THAT WE ARE ALL SIGNIFICANTLY INSIGNIFICANT, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD NOT BE NICE TO ONE ANOTHER

and vice versa I guess...but I didn't say it! I didn't even think it.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not intentionally being ignorant, just honest. If you really feel bad for this girl and are this bothered by it to keep bringing this up, I think you should probobly move on with your life. If you think random strangers will care at all when you die, you're wrong. It's comical this is making news, her family has made a joke out of her.
    LOL

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for you, discojoe. I think everyone will shed a tear when you pass. You're just that great.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for you, discojoe. I think everyone will shed a tear when you pass. You're just that great.
    Wow, you're REALLY dense.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The tulips are too excitable, it is winter here.
    Look how white everything is, how quiet, how snowed-in
    I am learning peacefulness, lying by myself quietly
    As the light lies on these white walls, this bed, these hands.
    I am nobody; I have nothing to do with explosions.
    I have given my name and my day-clothes up to the nurses
    And my history to the anaesthetist and my body to surgeons.

They have propped my head between the pillow and the sheet-cuff
    Like an eye between two white lids that will not shut.
    Stupid pupil, it has to take everything in.
    The nurses pass and pass, they are no trouble,
    They pass the way gulls pass inland in their white caps,
    Doing things with their hands, one just the same as another,
    So it is impossible to tell how many there are.

My body is a pebble to them, they tend it as water
    Tends to the pebbles it must run over, smoothing them gently.
    They bring me numbness in their bright needles, they bring me sleep.
    Now I have lost myself I am sick of baggage ——
    My patent leather overnight case like a black pillbox,
    My husband and child smiling out of the family photo;
    Their smiles catch onto my skin, little smiling hooks.

I have let things slip, a thirty-year-old cargo boat
    Stubbornly hanging on to my name and address.
    They have swabbed me clear of my loving associations.
    Scared and bare on the green plastic-pillowed trolley
    I watched my teaset, my bureaus of linen, my books
    Sink out of sight, and the water went over my head.
    I am a nun now, I have never been so pure.

I didn't want any flowers, I only wanted
    To lie with my hands turned up and be utterly empty.
    How free it is, you have no idea how free ——
    The peacefulness is so big it dazes you,
    And it asks nothing, a name tag, a few trinkets.
    It is what the dead close on, finally; I imagine them
    Shutting their mouths on it, like a Communion tablet.

The tulips are too red in the first place, they hurt me.
    Even through the gift paper I could hear them breathe
    Lightly, through their white swaddlings, like an awful baby.
    Their redness talks to my wound, it corresponds.
    They are subtle: they seem to float, though they weigh me down,
    Upsetting me with their sudden tongues and their colour,
    A dozen red lead sinkers round my neck.

Nobody watched me before, now I am watched.
    The tulips turn to me, and the window behind me
    Where once a day the light slowly widens and slowly thins,
    And I see myself, flat, ridiculous, a cut-paper shadow
    Between the eye of the sun and the eyes of the tulips,
    And I have no face, I have wanted to efface myself.
    The vivid tulips eat my oxygen.

Before they came the air was calm enough,
    Coming and going, breath by breath, without any fuss.
    Then the tulips filled it up like a loud noise.
    Now the air snags and eddies round them the way a river
    Snags and eddies round a sunken rust-red engine.
    They concentrate my attention, that was happy
    Playing and resting without committing itself.

The walls, also, seem to be warming themselves.
    The tulips should be behind bars like dangerous animals;
    They are opening like the mouth of some great African cat,
    And I am aware of my heart: it opens and closes
    Its bowl of red blooms out of sheer love of me.
    The water I taste is warm and salty, like the sea,
    And comes from a country far away as health.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    The tulips are too excitable, it is winter here.
    And comes from a country far away as health.
    Wow.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, obviously you're wrong since the incident was in the news and alot of people were revolted by it, including myself. you seem to put this teen on your own pedestal by saying that you would have taken full responsability for your actions (and blah blah blah). but you fail to recognise that this is a child and not a full-grown adult. there's a reason why criminal cases concerning children are treated with special care. our children are way more vulnerable than we are. she may have been weak, yes. but not in the same sense that you would have been if you had committed suicide.

and the fact that she may have been weak does not make cyberbullying remotely acceptable. the only reason why the culprits aren't being prosecuted is that those old fogies on the Supreme Court know diddleysquat about Myspace. but soon enough the law will have to catch up. in Britain, parents of cyber-bullies can be fined a 1000 pounds now.

you say people don't care about the dead. yeah well, expect the culprits to have moved out of town before summer. any outside party who could have put a stop to this would have yourself included (hopefully). it's not that kids are bullying other kids that is deranged. that is to be expected. it's when their parents join in the fun that is messed up. but hey, who cares right? why do we have laws protecting our rights, right? nobody gives a rat's ass obviously... or maybe it's just you.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is just me. I'm sorry, I just don't care and I'm sick of hearing about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is just me. I'm sorry, I just don't care and I'm sick of hearing about it.
    yeah, i do realise that it's been talked about alot in the media. i just thought it would be relevant to bring this up in a topic where some users seem to be advocating the harmlessness of cyberbullying.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast