Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: cautiousness

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default cautiousness

    I was thinking about creative Se today in terms of how it represses Ne. I would like some discussion on what creative Se is, some examples. Before this I had associated creative Se as being preoccupied with what is currently present in their surroundings, and not being open to possibilities that are valid.

    I then thought about an Se creative as working to minimize risk, but wasn't sure if all Ixxjs do this or if it wasn't the creative Se. I am told very often that I am too cautious or deliberative. Could we have some examples of cautious behavior, as I am not sure if it always has to do with one's polr.

    I think I am cautious in areas both of events and of ideas, but I think I don't care as much about one of these. Would one be more free to "play" with one's creative function or one's polr in your experience? This question is aimed mostly at people with creative Se, but is open to all.

  2. #2
    PotatoSpirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bologna, Italy
    Posts
    637
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: cautiousness

    This is too tough, K )c:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    I was thinking about creative Se today in terms of how it represses Ne. I would like some discussion on what creative Se is, some examples. Before this I had associated creative Se as being preoccupied with what is currently present in their surroundings, and not being open to possibilities that are valid.
    I don't know how it's different from Se leading, if that's what you are asking. It's function could be to concentrate on concrete ways to change your environment to your advantage (including pushing people).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    I then thought about an Se creative as working to minimize risk, but wasn't sure if all Ixxjs do this or if it wasn't the creative Se. I am told very often that I am too cautious or deliberative. Could we have some examples of cautious behavior, as I am not sure if it always has to do with one's polr.
    I don't think I'm particularly cautious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    I think I am cautious in areas both of events and of ideas, but I think I don't care as much about one of these. Would one be more free to "play" with one's creative function or one's polr in your experience? This question is aimed mostly at people with creative Se, but is open to all.
    I wouldn't even know how to begin playing with my polr.
    LSI

  3. #3
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    cautiousness = well developed Ni
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    now im thinking a cautious attitude overall might be Ixxj temperament.

    If you talk about cautiousness in different areas it might be different.. what do you think?

  5. #5
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Negativism+Ij = most cautious; if you add Ne Polr, again more; I'd say ISFj for the palm of most cautious. ISTjs really aren't.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  6. #6
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm cautious FTW!!!1!

    Specifically in social situaions though. Gotta feel my way into the group, so to speak.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  7. #7
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2
    Gotta feel my way into the group
    better than the group feeling theirs into you, that's for sure
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  8. #8
    snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex
    cautiousness = well developed Ni
    Then I must have a very developed Ni.

    I'm very cautious, I've never willingly taken a risk in my life and do all that I can to avoid being in situation out of my control.

  9. #9
    BLauritson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    979
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wouldn't normally describe myself as being cautious from my own point of view, but I suppose in the grand scheme of things I am. I guess I'm just used to my cautious behaviour as being "normal" as it were.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

    "IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

    Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

  10. #10
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was thinking about creative Se today in terms of how it represses Ne.
    side note: this is exactly what's happened to me over the years. what a great observation. it's kind of like you realize the limitations of Ne, that it's only good in certain situations, and you become like a devil's advocate about theory, ideas, practicality of application, etc etc.

    my students say there is no instructor at the school where i teach who is like me. that everybody else is heavily idealistic and theory focused and i'm totally practical, hands-on, and help them to understand what the practice of social work will actually be like.

    *shrugs* ok back to the topic.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  11. #11
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex
    cautiousness = well developed Ni
    Then I must have a very developed Ni.

    I'm very cautious, I've never willingly taken a risk in my life and do all that I can to avoid being in situation out of my control.
    I'm very very cautious!
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    I'm too cautious... but i think i may be growing out of it

  13. #13
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  14. #14
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think Ni leads to cautiousness too.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Seems a few people think ISTjs aren't especially cautious. Sunshine, i was trying to think of Se in terms of repressing Ne, but I didn't think that it really worked out like that in terms of cautiousness as evidenced in this thread.

    What types do you think are most likely among Ixxjs to say

    "How is that idea going to work?"

    "I am private because I don't know who is listening".

    I think both represent a general attitude of cautiousness but in different areas. Do you think that the same person is likely to say both ?

    Seems to me the first might not be considering possibilities, while the one below may or may not be considering them.

    A general attitude of cautiousness I think stems from not having enough information to make a decision. Seems like this would fit with what an Ixxj does.

    I can see an Ni person being cautious because past experiences tell him to be in a certain area. But in general isn't an Ni person's thing to absorb and observe freely?

  16. #16
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    Seems a few people think ISTjs aren't especially cautious. Sunshine, i was trying to think of Se in terms of repressing Ne, but I didn't think that it really worked out like that in terms of cautiousness as evidenced in this thread.

    yeah it might not work in terms of cautiousness, but the idea that Se represses Ne is a very interesting one. the idea of reality dominating fantasy or something like that. i'm not really being all that clear, i just think you tapped into that tension nicely with that sentence.

    What types do you think are most likely among Ixxjs to say

    "How is that idea going to work?"

    "I am private because I don't know who is listening".

    I think both represent a general attitude of cautiousness but in different areas. Do you think that the same person is likely to say both ?

    Seems to me the first might not be considering possibilities, while the one below may or may not be considering them.

    A general attitude of cautiousness I think stems from not having enough information to make a decision. Seems like this would fit with what an Ixxj does.

    an attitude of cautiousness can flow from any leading function....cautiousness about what? an entp will be cautious to take a new job that he would see as limiting possibilities or being too micro managey. an infp might tend to be cautious about doing anything that will disrupt good relations with a group. an entj might be cautious about a business deal which is too risky and not based on enough facts....

    the IJ temperament i think is just more likely to adapt to change more slowly than other types, but this might be different from caution.


    I can see an Ni person being cautious because past experiences tell him to be in a certain area. But in general isn't an Ni person's thing to absorb and observe freely?

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I think Ni leads to cautiousness too.
    Definitely. Ni is to back off and watch all the possible outcomes and let things move along slowly with a gentle push now and then to get things moving in the right direction. Ni is not a direct hands on approach, especially if things are complex and confused.
    INFp

    If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)



  18. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    Seems a few people think ISTjs aren't especially cautious. Sunshine, i was trying to think of Se in terms of repressing Ne, but I didn't think that it really worked out like that in terms of cautiousness as evidenced in this thread.

    yeah it might not work in terms of cautiousness, but the idea that Se represses Ne is a very interesting one. the idea of reality dominating fantasy or something like that. i'm not really being all that clear, i just think you tapped into that tension nicely with that sentence.

    What types do you think are most likely among Ixxjs to say

    "How is that idea going to work?"

    "I am private because I don't know who is listening".

    I think both represent a general attitude of cautiousness but in different areas. Do you think that the same person is likely to say both ?

    Seems to me the first might not be considering possibilities, while the one below may or may not be considering them.

    A general attitude of cautiousness I think stems from not having enough information to make a decision. Seems like this would fit with what an Ixxj does.

    an attitude of cautiousness can flow from any leading function....cautiousness about what? an entp will be cautious to take a new job that he would see as limiting possibilities or being too micro managey. an infp might tend to be cautious about doing anything that will disrupt good relations with a group. an entj might be cautious about a business deal which is too risky and not based on enough facts....

    the IJ temperament i think is just more likely to adapt to change more slowly than other types, but this might be different from caution.


    I can see an Ni person being cautious because past experiences tell him to be in a certain area. But in general isn't an Ni person's thing to absorb and observe freely?
    yeah i dont think that really works for cautiousness as a general attitude toward life in the example of ENTp.

    yeah, if you have more thoughts about what is repressing what.. in terms of examples, that would be appreciated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •