Thread: Intuition overdoes

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Intuition overdoes

The class is dominated by intuition, it is a humanities course, and it is taught by an english teacher. It has consistently gotten worse and less appealing over the semester....

1 - main professor
    Seems to be INFp, reminds me a lot of my INFp art history teacher from the past. Can do into extreme depth about what things mean, which is nice at first, but doesn't seem to get when enough is enough. An english student or literary fanatic's kind of teacher. However, he is a skilled enough teacher to know when he is getting to be too much at least. Or perhaps seeing his counterpart in action makes him realize how bad things can get.......

2- the assistant, and close friend, of main professor
    So apparently he is a stock broker, and is all about time lines and stuff. Initially I thought, well, this certainly is Ni + Te, because he lists so many facts. And in providing historical context he was quite useful - at the beginning of the year. Clearly an intuitive type, clearly an NT. But then I began to wonder about things.

Maybe it is just excessive Te usage, but it almost seems like Ne - because he just keeps jumping from here to there to everywhere, and it gets so off track sometimes. It is annoying, and other people feel the same way too - not just me. He has gotten worse as the semester went by, pulling up all of these abstract facts, personal experiences, and stories that just distort whatever we were trying to go on.

That, combined with the INFp, it just seems like total lack of...... direction. Maybe it is because it is Ni dominant + Ni creative tweaking my polr, but it has just become extremely incoherent.

The review session this evening was spent at least half talking about random anecdotes, various in depth meanings and relations. For spending 1 hour in the room, I took only one page of notes - and I am a copious note taker. I usually take more than that in a regular class, and much more than that in the other review sessions. I have never seen a class tank so much as the semester goes on.

DO you think ENTjs can get that way?
    Or are INTps? They generally seem more terse.
    Outside change of being ENTp, but, not so sure.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salawa
    What about ENFp? It sounds like he jumps around a lot, a lists lots of facts that are not necessarily relevant to the subject matter. Could be Te hidden agenda.

Obviously I don't have enough information to type him myself but maybe you could consider that.
    yeah....I agree that that sounds a lot like me although I am more focused. I go off on tangents, but I acknowledge that and the students seem fine with it (I have a good intuiton about what they find interesting by their reaction, so I try to cater to everyone). I also use personal anecdotes, but again, my students seem to like them. Perhaps it's in the delivery.

I know I am scattered and never go by plan, but I am also good at keeping my students interested and a lot of them appreciate that they get exposed to issues they never really thought about before. So my random Te bits and pieces go over pretty well.

I have had two ENFp professors in the past who also sound a lot like what you describe. Sometimes they annoy me, but it's only because I recognize myself and therefore I make a conscious effort to be more focused when teaching my own classes. And I can always bribe students by giving them extensions on their papers (just today I received 3 requests).

I daresay that you professors would probably catch my interest. But I can see how an XSTj can get annoyed....
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: Intuition overdoes

1 - main professor
    Seems to be INFp, reminds me a lot of my INFp art history teacher from the past. Can do into extreme depth about what things mean, which is nice at first, but doesn't seem to get when enough is enough. An english student or literary fanatic's kind of teacher. However, he is a skilled enough teacher to know when he is getting to be too much at least. Or perhaps seeing his counterpart in action makes him realize how bad things can get.......
    LOL
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But would you seriously want to make a living as a stock broker, kim?
    This guy is basically a business guy, and old business guy, and he tried to overdo everything because he is not really a good teacher or instructor.

I think IEE is the easy excuse but, he really does not seem ethical. It is just an overdose of things. He also does not remind me of any IEEs I know. They are sporadic in an just sort of random way, this guy is trying too hard or something, an overdoes. It is not the same as what IEEs do.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i teach.

and i tell my students how i think at the outset and what to expect from how i present things. that things will seem all over the place and random but that we'll connect them all eventually. that they have to "hold this thought" and wait with it until another one is developed then we can bring them together.

i tend to get good reviews of the classes that i teach.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    In the past few days I've most often slept on the sofa.

Just like Stalin did, all his life.
    He'd make comments like that, which were useful at the beginning of the year, but then as time went by, they just got worse. Then he'd go further into detail about some story about Stalin, and why it was relevant, like he didn't know when to stop. He might have just been out of touch with what was going on, or just too into He was definitely someone who enjoyed Ni, either a very vocal INTp Ni or more likely an ENTj Ni. As I said, the class became an intuition fest, and I think it eventually became an Ni fest, which of course turned me off a lot.

Note: the example has nothing to do with Expat other than it being similar in style, or how it came up. Expat himself does not demonstrate the qualities I am referring too (on the forum at least)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some ENTj professors can get that way when they become either excessively enthousiastic about the subject, or they start to lose interest in what they are teaching and prefer to tell stories (emotion-creating, remember?).

I don't even find this to be particularly annoying honestly, generally they understand by themselves when they're getting off-track. Plus, all the ENTj professors I've had were very very nice about scoring exams - they truly dislike to give poor grades. Since I noticed this patterns in at least 4 of them, I think there is some relationship to type.

Humanities classes can be a real pain in the ass for Te types. I noticed how me and my ISTp-Te friend kept failing economic history taught by an INFp-Fe and ENFj-Fe, even if we're generally famous in the class for getting good grades with minimum effort.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit