Thread: -

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Last edited by Dee; 02-26-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only to the extent that I think that one tends to remember things/information more easily when they are directly related to one's dominant functions combined with one's areas of interest. Like once I was watching TV and someone was telling someone else to remember the physical sensation of something in detail that they had experienced in the past and I wondered how anyone can do that. I cannot remember the physical experience of anything more than in a vague general way but I have noticed that people strong in and can remember internal sensations and physical surroundings in great detail.
    Socionics: XNFx
    MBTI: INFJ

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only in the sense in of the aspects which you may remember due to where your attention is normally spent anyway.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on what kind of memory you're asking about.

- Ni is the function of sequential recollection. Weak Ni has difficulty remembering the order in which things happened, or the order in which to do something; nor does it pay much attention to it. At the very least weak Ni can make you less confident in your memory.
    - Beyond that classical socionics says nothing.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to remember things you barely notice or don't think are important. As far as overall memory, this might also be more related to intelligence than type. Not to say that smarter people necessarily must have a better memory, but that has been my experience. That is a very interesting question though. I'm with Megan on the memory, or lack of it. That's something I'm quite pitiful at.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most NJ types have poor memory.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smarter people have better memory. Dumber people worse. This is the non-PC answer, but generally correct.

People that tend to say that have poor memory simply have not used sufficiently their bodies and senses. Playing many sports and changing scenery a lot will develop those memories simply because the amount of sensations you will have access to will be more numerous, and thus there will be a larger database from which to extract the comparisons between different stimuli, a process that develops in an analogous way to every other form of learning.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't remember any details and I blame my Si PoLR.
    But mostly it depends on the topic. I can remember how someone looked at me when I made a failed joke, but I won't remember their name. I will remember how someone smirks when they expect me to laugh at their joke, but I can't remember what they were wearing. Te types remember all sorts of trivia, I remember all sorts of cool things that I've heard. Si types can quote things very accurately, I can only remember the general topic and I have to fill in the gaps. And I totally hate it when someone points out that I got the details wrong.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

memory for what?

if you ask an ILE to remember a great theory, he'll likely recite it back to you quite clearly. if you ask him to remember what color his friend's room was painted, he likely will not.

likewise, if you ask an SLE to describe a sporting event he saw last week, he'll likely be able to tell you with great clarity and detail. if you ask him to remember the details of what was going on between two other people relationally at last week's party, he probably will not recall.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    Te types remember all sorts of trivia, I remember all sorts of cool things that I've heard.
    Or maybe Fe types remember all the useless gossip, and Te types the useful information

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Te types remember all sorts of trivia, I remember all sorts of cool things that I've heard.
    Or maybe Fe types remember all the useless gossip, and Te types the useful information
    yeah, useful in case they go to a memory-based game show. Otherwise totally useless.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, useful in case they go to a memory-based game show. Otherwise totally useless.

Memory-based game shows, nowadays, are full of gossip. So you have your chance to succeed, too.

I don't get why we have to create factions with this lame Fe-Ti vs Te-Fi distinction. Really. Both sides are silly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smarter people have better memory. Dumber people worse. This is the non-PC answer, but generally correct.
    Does anyone agree with FDG on that? Personally, I don't think smarter people necessarily have better memories. I think smarter people are better/quicker at analysis and synthesis etc but they do not always have really great memories IME.

People that tend to say that have poor memory simply have not used sufficiently their bodies and senses. Playing many sports and changing scenery a lot will develop those memories simply because the amount of sensations you will have access to will be more numerous, and thus there will be a larger database from which to extract the comparisons between different stimuli, a process that develops in an analogous way to every other form of learning.
    I have played tennis from I was about six but I do not play any other sports much, I do swimming occasionally. Maybe I should try a couple of other things. I tried this exericise from an MBTi site which involved noticing a specific type of object or color for a day. I tried it with trees in the park one day. The next day I went to the park again, I could recall what a couple of the trees looked like from memory but the trees I remembered were nowhere near where I thought they were located. I just ended bored and overstimulated after about 15mins of this anyway, I was probably crazy to have tried that exercise. I just cannot seem to take in a lot of information from the physical environment without feeling disorientated and over-stimulated in a bad way.
    Socionics: XNFx
    MBTI: INFJ

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    thanks you for your answers, guys, i really appreciate it. some people mantioned it's to do with strong and weak functions and which functions we are mostly focused on most of the time. i wonder whether valued-unvalued also plays a role here. like e.g. would an ExTP be as good in remembering the factual information as an ExTJ for example? any opinions?

also, Kristiina brought up a point of Si polr and remembering generalities better. my experience tells me that ENTJs are actually quite good at remembering factual information as it is and not say just the general "shapes" of it. i wonder if Kristiina's point really holds for ENxJs.

tcaudilllg's point on Ni and not being sure about the sequences of events i would like to also explore. in particular though, what function would be to do with remembering the events at all, not even the sequences they have happened?
    Your base function is a repository for all kinds of memorized data specific to your strongest element. (that of your base) Your other accepting functions can also record memories, but not to the same degree. Remember that whatever information you are processing has already entered short-term memory, by which means you can connect it to memories of similar processes.

You do not memorize with the producing functions, because they are what you produce and not the means of production. Think about it: how can you memorize your own output? Of course you can try.... There is also a relationship between the producing functions and the acceptors which follow them, but we know little about it.

In sum, memory is a question of accepting and producing functions, not elements per se.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    imo good point. it does make sense, though to a point, as how can at times extreme factual knowledge databanks of INTPs be explained?
    That's a good point. There is actually a thinking style -- associative recall, I think -- which is used by INTp types to recall factual data. It's a passive recall style: if you remind an INTp of something related to a given set of facts then they can recall the entire set, but they won't think about it without a stimulus. It's more of a reaction than anthing. (probably applies to producing memory in general, but what you mentioned was something I hadn't thought of altogether so I can't give details.)