Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know who will be the next US president, can I bet on this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I know who will be the next US president, can I bet on this?

Is there some place to bet on this? I know who will be the next US president.
    fiona

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would need a lot of cash to make it worth it because the commission is pretty high, but the pay off percentage is very high too. Anyone else on-board?

And sorry no info fishing please, if you are on-board let me know. I might put a grand on this. I might get a new car if I am right.
    fiona

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there some way to sell the info to others who have a lot more cash than me?

So I could buy some kind of futures and offer some kind of insurance if the person I picked doesn't win?

There should be some stock market mechanism to do this.
    fiona

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. This is the funniest thread I've seen in a while.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom

Oh come on, no negativity please
    fiona

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian2
    This would need a lot of cash to make it worth it because the commission is pretty high, but the pay off percentage is very high too. Anyone else on-board?

And sorry no info fishing please, if you are on-board let me know. I might put a grand on this. I might get a new car if I am right.
    You know, it occurs to me that what you're doing is trying to get people to send you money again. That makes this spam - and that's the generous interpretation. It sounds more like a scam. Though someone would have to be pretty stupid to fall for it. "I know who the next president will be. Give me money so I can bet on it."
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, it occurs to me that what you're doing is trying to get people to send you money again. That makes this spam - and that's the generous interpretation. It sounds more like a scam. Though someone would have to be pretty stupid to fall for it. "I know who the next president will be. Give me money so I can bet on it."
    I am not asking for money, just people who invest THEIR own money from wherever they live on the person that I have picked.

Take your negative interpretations elsewhere please.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean
    http://www.intrade.com//?request_operation=main&request_type=action&checkH omePage=true
    I don't think that that site is a fair betting place because their probabilities add up to well over 100%.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS: I f I want people to pay for typing services, they can do it perfectly well at a very professional website underway dedicated to comercial matters for a 10+ year old business.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have any schemes. I have very special info that is worth a lot.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95
    http://www.intrade.com//?request_operation=main&request_type=action&checkH omePage=true
    I don't think that that site is a fair betting place because their probabilities add up to well over 100%.
    the probabilities reflect user bids. that they don't add up correctly isn't necessarily indicative of an unfair market for the bids. it may just be that the market players themselves are irrational.

(maybe some of them would be willing to buy into your schemes!)
    That market is rigged because they have mislead the public by saying that the price reflects the curent evaluation of risk by the market, but that is not true. The price only represents the price of each option, nothing more.

If the prices reflected risk (probabilities of victory), the prices would add up to 100, but that is not the case.

I am not sure how they rig the issue of "contracts" to have the prices add up to well over 100%, because if it was left to float it would some times over 100% and at other times under 100%. On average it would be 100%.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you bet at a sports site, usually the probabilties tha teach team wil win add up to 100%.
    fiona

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dio -- in your judgement, is your prognostication a positive or negative outcome?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    Dio -- in your judgement, is your prognostication a positive or negative outcome?
    What do you mean? Those terms are not familiar to me.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the probabilities reflect user bids. that they don't add up correctly isn't necessarily indicative of an unfair market for the bids. it may just be that the market players themselves are irrational.

That market is rigged because they have mislead the public by saying that the price reflects the curent evaluation of risk by the market, but that is not true. The price only represents the price of each option, nothing more.

If the prices reflected risk (probabilities of victory), the prices would add up to 100, but that is not the case.

I am not sure how they rig the issue of "contracts" to have the prices add up to well over 100%, because if it was left to float it would some times over 100% and at other times under 100%. On average it would be 100%.
    I got it, they rig the market my limit the number of options issued to lower than demand.

I will check how they issue the contracts in the beggining. Do the options add up to 100% at the price first sold?

Anyways, I appreciate very much the site being offered as a possibility to bet on, but if you really wan to bet I would not recomend it.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IFMD, what do paper do you trade?
    fiona

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alan keyes ftw

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See Hitta's +/- theory.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See Hitta's +/- theory.
    I think that he has mistyped himself, so I am not reading his theories in a lot of detail. Sorry.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, sorry, that website is OK. I miscalculated something. It's still not a very good place to bet, because they present the results as contrats, when in fact they are just bets.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The market per se cannot be irrational because of arbitrage. If the market is less than 100%, then someone would buy an index of the entire market and make money.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    IFMD, what do paper do you trade?
    right now NYMEX futures. i am especially trying to use Brownian motion on LS crude. i don't pay for real-time quotes yet though so i check the tables online at regular intervals. when i was p-trading forex though a buddy of mine (who has his own trade station, multi-monitors and everything) used to give me years of old quotes on euro and yen that i'd simulate trades on.
    Sounds interesting, do you do this as a living?
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did an internship over the summer at a trade desk in a decent-sized commercial bank but otherwise i'm a just a college student (math). probably what i'll be doing when i graduate. although in the LR i want to go back to school for graduate economics (micro or econometrics look interesting but i really haven't taken enough econ courses yet to be sure.)
    I have TAed some Econ. It's ok. How much money do you play with in average overall in these investments? I have known people how have won a lot and others who have lost. A friend invested 2,ooo$ in a video game start up and lost every cent. Another made lot of money in gold.

I am looking at investments myself. But it's a very cash intensive industry. You need deep pockets.
    fiona

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very poor investment.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy

Very poor investment.

Why poor, it's WELL over 100% return.
    fiona

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you calculated your actual odds and weighed the amount of relevant knowledge you have about each candidate? Who could you convince other than yourself? Convince us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Have you calculated your actual odds and weighed the amount of relevant knowledge you have about each candidate? Who could you convince other than yourself? Convince us.
    What happened the last time you asked me to convince you of something?
    fiona

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You did nothing, which is precisely what I think you will do now. What special knowledge are you privy to this time?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You did nothing, which is precisely what I think you will do now. What special knowledge are you privy to this time?
    What do you mean I did nothing? What is your type? Do you stil want to hold your end of the bargain and I will hold mine. Just Yesterday I noticed a minor celeb who looks precisely like you and who has the same type as you IMO.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[
    i don't expect to self-invest any time soon (if i ever do, beyond low-risk stuff for retirement.) what is more common is trading for someone else. and even then, depending on your education and work history, it may be months to over a year of training (and fetching coffee occasionally) before you actually touch a trade desk. unless you go to a smaller bank or exchange, then they might start you off quicker. but the pay is much lower, < $50k. if instead you are willing to be patient and be trained at a larger organization, they may start you off at six digits even.
    Ah sorry, I thought that you invest yourself.

The econ department people invested their own retirement funds and now their retirement pension are larger than their salaries!

I have done some work on the methodology/history of economics, the logical structure, etc.

What aspects of econ interest you? Are you into actuarial math or finance?

To tell you the truth I don't put much trust on the mathematical models because their assumptions can be a bit problematic.

What do you think of the oil price?
    fiona

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you've never read any of Dio's other posts?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

you've never read any of Dio's other posts?
    Who is talking, buttsx, ahem
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, what's your type IFMD?

Personally I am not into trading per se. The commissions are too high to make it reasonable.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, what's your type IFMD?
    that's a very good question! i was just talking about that in another thread today. it's something i'm reconsidering at the moment. i forecasted having a decision before Christmas.

Personally I am not into trading per se. The commissions are too high to make it reasonable.
    another reason why if you ever do get interested, it's often best to trade for someone else first. (until having enough cash to make very large trades of your own.)
    Interesting about the type, I think I could make a pretty good case for a prticular type. It depends on how well received it would be though. There still a few sceptics of my knowledge around

On the other topic, it amazes me that people would actually let others trade their money. But if it's a good job, it's fine with me.

Out of curiosity, what would it be worth to you to know your type? And what would make pay for such knowldge? People pay 100,000$ for tuition, there ought to be a market to identify inate skills.
    fiona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK.
    fiona

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I know who will be the next US president, can I bet on t

Is there some place to bet on this? I know who will be the next US president.
    Tancredo FTW!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy

Very poor investment.

Why poor, it's WELL over 100% return.
    What are the odds though? I mean, I could make a 1,000% return playing the lottery, but I don't do it.

There's NO WAY you could KNOW who the next president will be, and unless you've been eavesdropping on the conversations of the key players in business (read: politics) in the US, it's not wise to think that the person who should logically win has any chance at all.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

politics = business? read: potential emotionl bias. maybe you are underestimating the influence of other interest groups, of "cults of personality", of close-to-home factors like inflation or growth.
    No, that's what I was talking about (though I don't know what you mean by "cults of personality).
    SEE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast