Thread: my dad

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default my dad

i've finally decided that i know what my dad's type is. let's see what happens here.

basically he's an eccentric musician that makes instruments out of trash. most of the images available of him online are of him playing.

unfortunately i can't find any videos.

lol i can pick any writing sample i want and i pick the first google result. it's good though:

Would you call yourself a maverick?
    Published: April 1, 2002

If there is a tradition of non-conformity, then is someone a conformist who personally maintains the non-conformist tradition?

There was a serious question as I graduated from college. Could I continue to be as I was (already a polished non-conformist as well as a skilled musician who didn't fit comfortably into any pre-existing box) or would I have to get a real job, a real life, a real necktie, etc? As a Princeton graduate, it would have been absurdly easy to join a bank or a brokerage firm. Perhaps I could have found some sort of habitable Ivesian locale in corporate America. But it seemed like a last resort, the thing to do only when all else failed. It offered survival, but nothing else I wanted.

How little did I care about money? Once I found a challenging job where I could get paid a tiny amount, I chose to adjust my life to fit that amount rather than to give up the interesting work. I lived on a budget comparable to Thoreau at Walden for about three times as long.

What I got in return was artistic freedom. I got to play a lot of music, to write a lot of music, to discover a whole musical civilization in the instruments that can be built out of the stuff other people throw away.

I suppose I fit the definition of maverick as well as anybody. It mostly comes from making decisions based on what I wanted to do, such as that one and then accepting, embracing, and using the results to whatever extent is possible. My life became as much about finding wonderful things to do musically. It seems inevitable that I would turn to building musical instruments out of trash. The economics are right. The possibility of heading into uncharted artistic terrain is right. Of course this life has limits, but all lives have limits, just different ones.

The strange part is that, at some point, I realized my real job was just to keep doing what I was doing for as long as I could. My life itself was a kind of art piece. It is an example to help others evaluate their own lives. Maybe I've made some stuff along the way that people can think about and smile. Maybe I've made as much of a difference as the ant who walked all the way around the walls of the city of Ur 4286 years ago. This is really too cosmic to worry about.

It always struck me that the art facilitators—the grant givers, performance space controllers, and assorted muck-a-mucks had their own agenda (how could they not?). All I do is run a little store (even if the whole thing is inside my head the IRS thinks it is a store—you wanna argue with them?) full of musical stuff (compositions mostly but also a diverse hoard of musical instruments and the knowledge of how to both build and use these tools) that the facilitators can shop in. Occasionally they find something useful in my store but often they don't. Some merchants would try and fill the store with stuff the facilitators would buy. But I don't want to try to get inside somebody else's head. I'd rather fill the store with stuff that I think is interesting and hope that other people also find it interesting. At least this way I know I can be consistent.

Since my little store never had any money, there was never an advertising budget. The only way I could let people know I even had such an enterprise was by making stuff that people would remember and talk about. That's a little bit of a lie. I had enough money to eat as much ice cream as I wanted to and to take long backpacking trips frequently enough so that I could pretend I was only slightly insane the rest of the time. I just didn't have enough money to do anything else. I wasn't going to risk either of these to advertise instead.

At one point, I was offered money if I would just use the money to make the store more businesslike. What that really meant was that I would need to spend much more time making the store more like other stores. Since I already knew that the store could only succeed if it was full of interesting stuff, really different stuff, it wasn't much of a temptation. One course of action depended on an external reference I didn't understand (and knew I never really would), the other just depended on following my instincts about what was interesting.

It seems kind of weird that a society that teaches maxims like "know thyself!" finds it strange when someone attempts to fashion a life using that knowledge.
    [marq=up]

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's his type in your opinion?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like you.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    looks like you.
    gee, how shocking.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, niffweed.

if i must, i think he is not in your conflicting quadra, looks to be a logical type, or possibly INFj. many possibilities, but i somehow knew that the looks like you comment would be deemed frivolous. But i just did it. Besides, my mother doesn't look like me.

he looks to be a logical type.

Creepy-bg

he looks like Philip K Dick

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea. LIE or ESI... maybe. I do think it's gamma or delta.

------

Edit.

He seems to have a gruff quality to him which kind of says S to me or j or both...
    He values doing what he wants to do... it is very important to him... I think this implies valuing Se.
    Apparently it's important for him to have his ice cream around, but otherwise, do I see any Si valuing? He chose his interests over his level of comfort and economics... because he valued freedom and doing as he wanted... Se>Si perhaps
    He drifts along... discovering what it is that he wants more and more along the way... but he seems rather clear on what he wants in concrete ways... implementation doesn't seem to be a problem for him... i dunno... I'm leaning towards ESI...
    That said, he likes to keep his "shop" interesting... apparently not thinking through it that thoroughly... He's not interested in getting into people's heads or in their psychology... he's interested in his craft and hopefully others will get something out of his craft... Hmm... this rules out delta NF from my point of view. Delta ST is still possible.
    There was a mention of bringing a smile to someone's face... this seemed out of place in a way to me... I often get this more subdued vibe with ESIs as though they may appear to actually be logical types at first glance... sometimes.
    He values individuality. Knowing oneself.
    Something just feels gamma. I feel like it's Ni>Ne... but I do not know why... there just doesn't seem to be much Ne in spite of the inherent creativity involved in manufacturing interesting instruments out of trash...

I think ESI may well be my guess.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLI?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

nf?
    Stolen Identity by Argentina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQjC-q5FBgk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, god, he looks awesome.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems like a Delta NF hippy.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he reminds me of one of my delta NF hippy brothers haha. dunno, i cannot really imagine anything aside from delta.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, your dad is awesome. He probably doesn't hear it very often, but this is the kind of person I admire. He's found his heart and follows it to his content.

As for type, I'm not sure. It's probably not quite so useful to make judgements like this, but I'd say he is intuitive and maybe introverted (due to his lack of materialism, choosing of his own senses of value, and his focus seems to be very much internally directed). If he is INFj, that would be too crazy. I mean, when I think of where I want to be 20-30 years down the road, your father's sense of life pretty much sums it up (beard and all).
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Ne type by VI. I'd hesitate to say ExFx, but IEEs can be deceiving...My first guess is Ne-ILE.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, niffweed. What a cool dad you have. Great article. :wink:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah awesome dad

I first thought SLI, but everyone's cases for him being an intuitive type are convincing

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what type he is but he is super cool!
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe my dad is SLI.

i have flopped around on his type for some time now, first jumping from LII to LIE, and then thinking about SLI but not really being certain. i think, and have thought for some time now, that he's a surefire Te type. personally, the emphasis on Fi values is obvious, but he also demonstrates an extraordinary frugality and has a tremendous amount of financial knowledge, to the point that he does the taxes of a bunch of family friends. he manages to make successful financial decisions despite earning a pittance of anywhere from $15,000 - $25,000 (as a self-employed musician, his income is very variable). because of an infestation of bedbugs in our house which required a professional exterminator he claims that his income for this year will be less than $10,000.

some other details: he is an avid backpacker. he's taken me on some trips and it's driven me insane. i don't understand what he gets out of it.

he rarely cares what he eats (he's not at all picky) and he has no sense of smell, but greatly dislikes loud, raucous popular music (partly related to being a musician), and seems to actually care about the visual aspects of his surroundings, which i do not.

he's extremely good with tools. he has his own quasi-workshop in our house, which he uses partially to fabricate instruments, but also for various other projects. he has lived in the loft in which we presently abide since 1973, and he has built several large structures (ie, rooms, storage areas) that were previously empty space. there are plenty of other things which he has built for various reasons.

he is not slightly concerned with the way he looks (possibly id )

he's been giving me medical advice the last several days (ie make sure that you drink about two quarts of water) because i've been sort of almost sick but not really. i have duly ignored everything, of course. this is probably of very dubious importance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    i believe my dad is SLI. .

WOWOWOWOWOO

I AGREE WITH YOU, You just gained some respect. You have started t osee the light I believe, and you will even agree with me that Chomsky is ESFp. When that day comes, you will know at least as much as me about types.

Now all you have to do is find your own type. I already know it

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please go away and never come back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never came.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could definitely see him as a leading type. He seems to be someone I would find very likeable. There definitely is a breed of artsy or eccentric SLIs who are basically crazy craftsmen who don't care about material goals beyond their craft and don't even try to get anyone else interested in what they do. Others stumble upon their work and tell others about it. Reminds me of "the man who can move anything" in his attitude.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Apparently it's important for him to have his ice cream around, but otherwise, do I see any Si valuing? He chose his interests over his level of comfort and economics... because he valued freedom and doing as he wanted... Se>Si perhaps
    Actually, I would say he values his personal enjoyment over material status and external accomplishment. To me this sounds like Si over Se.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Actually, I would say he values his personal enjoyment over material status and external accomplishment. To me this sounds like Si over Se.
    Nah, Rick. Any balanced and wise person knows that personal satisfaction is more important that material status and accomplishment. Sure, some of us might derive more personal satisfaction from material status than others, but I wouldn't be quick to attach a functional label.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Nah, Rick. Any balanced and wise person knows that personal satisfaction is more important that material status and accomplishment. Sure, some of us might derive more personal satisfaction from material status than others, but I wouldn't be quick to attach a functional label.
    I know plenty of people who are at least reasonably balanced who consider life accomplishment to be more important than personal satisfaction. I don't think this is a universal thing.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

umm... I'm surprised how many delta admirers he got. I can only say I'm not impressed. I feel I probably wouldn't get along with him all that well. I don't know why, but feels that way. So I'm quessing he's more to the delta side than beta!
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    umm... I'm surprised how many delta admirers he got. I can only say I'm not impressed. I feel I probably wouldn't get along with him all that well. I don't know why, but feels that way. So I'm quessing he's more to the delta side than beta!
    Sounds SLI to me. Sounds a crap load like my dad, without the musician part.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard
    Well, Erkki says I'm the Si-detector. I just react differently to Si dominants. It would make sense for him to be ISTp.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Erkki says I'm the Si-detector. I just react differently to Si dominants. It would make sense for him to be ISTp.
    Si detector huh? How is that? How do you act differently around em

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si detector huh? How is that? How do you act differently around em
    I don't sense that they are different. I just react to their individual personalities. But I very easily get aggitated and I get agresssive (mentally of course). They say something I really disagree with or something that makes me feel like it's all my fault in the first place (like they're accusing me of making a mistake and they show that they're not surprised). I try to change their minds with methods that would work on Se types, but they react differently than I would expect. And it's just a downward spiral from there. Further talk only makes it worse.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Reading that made me feel good inside.

I'm a hippie at heart. I can't help it. It's like an instinct.

So not a 'red state' person. Blech.