Thread: Models of Reality and their influence on behaviour

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Models of Reality and their influence on behaviour

Do you model reality? How do you do that? To what extend does it affect your behaviour?

What aspects of reality do you take into consideration?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I will start.

What is reality and what is a model?

Reality is everything that exists, that has substance. This is usually meant to include matter, but it also includes other entities, such as energy fields, etc.

The definition of an entity is unclear. In my opinion it includes but is not limited to everything that is conceivable.

Each entity is differentiated from other entitites, and here is where a model becomes useful and variations are galore.

Each individual defines the entities differently, and the same goes for the interactions between them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha maybe u shud do a little less talking about reality and a little more action in grounding urself in reality... i mean really dioklecian (both the original and new), you don't have to talk to urself, this is what a forum is all about!
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

diolekician, did you lose your password or something?

As for the topic at hand, I guess I'm not quite that specific in outlining my models, other than recognizing that they're models and not reality itself. In that respect, I suppose that's why I'm so interested in other people's models, because they have a different vantage point than I do. I think everyone else pretty much does the same (though some might not make as strong a distinction between what they see reality as and what it might actually be). Also, whether you recognize them as models or mistake them for the thing being modelled, I think this must carry over into how you deal with the world you perceive. It may be over-simplifiying the matter, but what you perceive pretty much determines how you will act or, at least, the information with which you have available to judge things in acting.

The particular things I tend to place importance on when modeling the world tends to run along two parallels (though that's kind of inaccurate, they're certainly related, but I definitely place a primary importance on one and a secondary on the other): the first is on people themselves, how they act, what they think, believe, or desire, how they behave in accordance with these things. I think the heart of any person revolves chiefly around what it is they value most highly. The second is trying to achieve an understanding of the world that we inhabit, models of the physical world, the natural sciences, etc. These may very well play an important role in the former, more important things, but generally I find them of a more means-to-an-end than an end-in-themselves sort of thing.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Models of Reality and their influence on behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    Do you model reality? How do you do that? To what extend does it affect your behaviour?

I think my model is a mixture of science-religion-intuition-experience. I can't really define it with only few words. I just live it, basically. I guess intuition plays a big part in diffusing science, religion and experience into a one holistic approach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive
    haha maybe u shud do a little less talking about reality and a little more action in grounding urself in reality... i mean really dioklecian (both the original and new), you don't have to talk to urself, this is what a forum is all about!
    It's give and take in the forum as elsewhere

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2
    diolekician, did you lose your password or something?

As for the topic at hand, I guess I'm not quite that specific in outlining my models, other than recognizing that they're models and not reality itself. In that respect, I suppose that's why I'm so interested in other people's models, because they have a different vantage point than I do. I think everyone else pretty much does the same (though some might not make as strong a distinction between what they see reality as and what it might actually be). Also, whether you recognize them as models or mistake them for the thing being modelled, I think this must carry over into how you deal with the world you perceive. It may be over-simplifiying the matter, but what you perceive pretty much determines how you will act or, at least, the information with which you have available to judge things in acting.

The particular things I tend to place importance on when modeling the world tends to run along two parallels (though that's kind of inaccurate, they're certainly related, but I definitely place a primary importance on one and a secondary on the other): the first is on people themselves, how they act, what they think, believe, or desire, how they behave in accordance with these things. I think the heart of any person revolves chiefly around what it is they value most highly. The second is trying to achieve an understanding of the world that we inhabit, models of the physical world, the natural sciences, etc. These may very well play an important role in the former, more important things, but generally I find them of a more means-to-an-end than an end-in-themselves sort of thing.
    This sounds very similar to me actually.

I remember that I asked you once about your type, but I don't recall it right now, could you remind me?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj-Ne
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj-Ne
    Cool, are there any pics of yours around?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Models of Reality and their influence on behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian

I think my model is a mixture of science-religion-intuition-experience. I can't really define it with only few words. I just live it, basically. I guess intuition plays a big part in diffusing science, religion and experience into a one holistic approach.

How do you view the world, is it a system sort of like a video game, or is it a sequence, sort of like a movie?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not much of a pictures guy, so I only have got what other people send along. Here are two, though they're years apart. Consider them like before/after pics of working at UPS. And sorry for the gigantic sizes, tried to make them smaller but couldn't figure out how.

@ my youngest sister's high school graduation, 2005 (left to right is my twin brother, my sister, and myself)

And this past July 4th
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-bg

I'm not much of a pictures guy, so I only have got what other people send along. Here are two, though they're years apart. Consider them like before/after pics of working at UPS. And sorry for the gigantic sizes, tried to make them smaller but couldn't figure out how.

@ my youngest sister's high school graduation, 2005 (left to right is my twin brother, my sister, and myself)

And this past July 4th
    1. you look like you've lost weight (not sure how old that top pic is)
    2. tell your sister to stop doing whatever it is she does to get that color tan... it's sort of frightening (no offense )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and she's hot... tell her to gimme a call :wink:
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive
    and she's hot... tell her to gimme a call :wink:
    pics plz

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    2. tell your sister to stop doing whatever it is she does to get that color tan... it's sort of frightening (no offense )
    1. Yes, I started working at UPS weighing in at about 215 and two months later I was down to 175. Loading packages is some hard work, especially when those packages are dell computers or 60 pound boxes of paper. It's also good times when the walls you build in the trailers come tumbling down on you.

2. She since has. That was during her tanning creme phase. Kind of made her look like an oompa-loompa.

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    1. Yes, I started working at UPS weighing in at about 215 and two months later I was down to 175. Loading packages is some hard work, especially when those packages are dell computers or 60 pound boxes of paper. It's also good times when the walls you build in the trailers come tumbling down on you.
    lol... I hear ya, I was a receiver for Michaels for a couple of years (aka fun with boxes!!! ) I used to put voodoo curses on our UPS guy durring Xmas time (sometimes they'd have to use two trucks for all the boxes being delivered to our store ) and that's just UPS... not to mention Roadway, the weekly company truck, etc... etc...

good times