Thread: Type-related weakness and individual maturity

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type-related weakness and individual maturity

I was going to post this in my reply in the hidden agenda thread, but thought I'd start a new thread instead.

I've been wondering lately, although I don't have any evidence to back it up at the moment - do type weaknesses necessarily remain weaknesses in the way they're portrayed, as the individual matures? i.e. would a healthy, mature individual of a given type, especially with some life experience behind them also, have better control over their weaknesses (for lack of a better way of describing it) as compared with the same individual before they'd reached that level of maturity?

I'm specifically thinking things like the super-ego functions - although they might not become "strong" in the same way as one's ego-functions are strong, do they become less of a problem as one gets older and matures, provided one is wise enough to learn from their mistakes?
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Type-related weakness and individual maturity

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson
    I was going to post this in my reply in the hidden agenda thread, but thought I'd start a new thread instead.

I've been wondering lately, although I don't have any evidence to back it up at the moment - do type weaknesses necessarily remain weaknesses in the way they're portrayed, as the individual matures? i.e. would a healthy, mature individual of a given type, especially with some life experience behind them also, have better control over their weaknesses (for lack of a better way of describing it) as compared with the same individual before they'd reached that level of maturity?

I'm specifically thinking things like the super-ego functions - although they might not become "strong" in the same way as one's ego-functions are strong, do they become less of a problem as one gets older and matures, provided one is wise enough to learn from their mistakes?
    in a word, yes. this is what i've been saying all along. you kind learn how to reduce the weakness of the super ego functions. in this fashion, you bring them up to some kind of level of acceptability.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see. Things I've had in mind about areas I used to be weak in but, over the past couple of years or so, have begun to improve in, are things like:

- I'm a lot more aware of what's socially appropriate and also how others feel, and the effects of my actions on others (guess this is a mix of both and here).
    - I used to be completely neglectful of my health, to the point of eating junk food in excess, although I've taken a more realistic view towards health since then, such as taking up exercise (I enrolled with a local gym about 5 months or so ago and follow an exercise programme devised by a personal trainer there, since I know I haven't got a clue what I should do otherwise), eating more healthily (although this is something I'm still slowly getting my ass into gear over). I figure this is related.
    - I take more care of my appearance and also look after my surroundings more (for example keeping things relatively tidy or organised around me, such as my desk for example). I suppose this is but I'm not 100% sure there (I seem to be supposing a lot.. I really need to study Socionics properly for once rather than just making suppositions based on the occasional forum post). The former aspect of this point (taking more care of my appearance) is due to direct intervention from an ESFp and an ISFj I know; it probably would have taken me much longer to do this on my own (if ever).
    - I think another thing is I'm better at pushing myself to do something or otherwise take action than I used to be, although compared to other types I'm still noticeably lazy.

I must admit I'm not sure how much of the above is just me getting my act together as an adult and how much is actually (albeit slowly) improving type-related weaknesses, but it's those sort of things that made me think of the question I asked in the original post. I wouldn't say I'm necessarily strong in these functions - I'm still considerably weak in many areas, and I know it, but the above is just some examples of how I feel I've improved some weak areas over time. And it's just occurred to me that people might see this and think I'm just trying to brag about how great I am without having actually done anything great (a bit like the patheticness of the HA as per Expat's thread) but fuck it, I'm posting this anyway. 'tis the only way to get feedback afterall (there you go - an example of how I'm still weak in Fe/Fi, whichever one it is, that I've actually gone the opposite way and end up concerning myself too much with how I come across to people to the extent of being over-cautious about it).
    5w4 so/sx

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

responding to your last paragraph.... yes it's possible to overcompensate for weaker functions, too. i did that for awhile with Fi. the problem was that i didn't really understand Fi, so when i tried to compensate it actually only made things worse because it drew attention to how weak it was.

the point i'm at now is to directly ask for advice from someone who is strong on something i'm weaker at. i've learned to at least ask myself questions about ethical things. usually somebody else will have a better answer than the one i can come up with. alas, though, this does not always work in situations that require an immediate off the cuff response, so i've tried to come up with some basic rules to follow for myself.

the polr is much harder to deal with than the role function though. role function you can lessen the weakness of to a certain extent. with polr, it's like you don't even know where to begin.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively

the polr is much harder to deal with than the role function though. role function you can lessen the weakness of to a certain extent. with polr, it's like you don't even know where to begin.
    Agreed.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively
    I'd agree with this. I think that, because I've concentrated on improving my PoLR moreso than I have with my role (not in an obsessive/unhealthy way though), I've fallen into the trap of thinking that I'm actually better at my PoLR than I am at my role, but when I lay it out objectively as with above I can see I'm obviously not.

I'd quite like to hear examples from other forum members also, where applicable, on how they've dealt with their weaknesses throughout life. Just trying to build up a picture here (your input is also appreciated of course, Sunshine Lively).
    5w4 so/sx