Thread: -

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Last edited by Dee; 02-26-2009 at 03:16 AM.

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I like to think about conscious/unconscious functions is giving/receiving. People much more naturally spout off stuff regarding their conscious functions. But person A will tend to cut others' off when they start talking about person A's id block functions. I think the answer to your question is probably yes, but I don't think anyone understands the conscious/unconscious distinction very well, so don't worry too much about it.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a personal example: I was discussing past relationships with some guys. I found the conversation interesting, but when I was talking I got really nervous - I even had a bad physiological reaction to it (shaking etc.). The Te ego types thought it was kind of silly and couldn't articulate well about it; the ENFj was more willing to listen than talk, I think.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my observations:
    - You can verbalize any of the functions, and they tend to follow each other. It's apparently a rule of cognition.
    - A collary to the above is that you can apparently respond to a request for information regarding a specific function by interrupting your train of thought to respond to the request. (if it is an acceptor) However, you will in such cases continue on with the function order from that function forward. (you can't follow up accepting Fi with producing Ni, and if you try following up a weak producer with a strong acceptor, you're gonna look kinda dumb.)

Perhaps one could indeed equate the function order to "train of thought".

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    Just my observations:
    - You can verbalize any of the functions, and they tend to follow each other. WHAT IS THE ORDER, IS IT FROM LEFT TO RIGHT IN BLOCKS, IS IT ALONG DUAL FUNCTION POLES? It's apparently a rule of cognition.
    - A collary to the above is that you can apparently respond to a request for information regarding a specific function by interrupting your train of thought to respond to the request. (if it is an acceptor THE INTERRUPTED FUNCTION? IF NOT THEN WHAT IF IT IS PRODUCING?) However, you will in such cases continue on with the function order from that function forward. (you can't follow up accepting Fi with producing Ni, and if you try following up a weak producer with a strong acceptor, you're gonna look kinda dumb. LOL YOU GOTTA GIVE IF YOU WANNA GET RIGHT?)

Perhaps one could indeed equate the function order to "train of thought".
    "THE ORDER, IS IT FROM LEFT TO RIGHT IN BLOCKS, IS IT ALONG DUAL FUNCTION POLES?"

It's from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th to 6th to 7th to 8th... to 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd, etc.

Diagram:
    Code:
    1st -> 2nd 
            |
            \/
    4th <- 3rd
      | 
      ------|
           \/
    6th <- 5th 
      |
     \/
    7th -> 8th
    Now people will tell you different things. My view is, there is only one IM element actually in command at any given moment, although it always has access to both it contrary as a reference, and its dual as a way of judging its own status. (I thank labcoat and hitta for knowing this, BTW.)

"(you can't follow up accepting Fi with producing Ni, and if you try following up a weak producer with a strong acceptor, you're gonna look kinda dumb. "

That didn't come out right. It should be the reverse: if you try following up a strong acceptor with a weak producer, it's not gonna work out well. The function order follows up a weak producer with a strong acceptor in the case of function 6's transition to functon 7.)

"LOL YOU GOTTA GIVE IF YOU WANNA GET RIGHT?" - What's that supposed to mean?

"THE INTERRUPTED FUNCTION? IF NOT THEN WHAT IF IT IS PRODUCING?" It depends on the type which is asking the question, something I've not totally worked out. Usually though you will refer back to the acceptor function as the means of producing the content which is being requested, just to make your POV clear to your interlocutor.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if I buy the idea that people can only use one function at a time. You can see when people are making concentrated use of an element (they usually have to take breaks from it occasionally, though - for example, my math teacher tells a joke or a funny story every class), but it's hard to separate elements sometimes, especially ones that can be blocked together. Plus, it raises the problematic question of what it means to "use" an element...