Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 261

Thread: Examples of Fi

  1. #1
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Examples of Fi

    I know Ann tried this a little bit ago, but I'd like to try it again a slightly different way, with less theory. I think it might be more helpful and educational than running in verbal circles. I say this because I tend to learn well by seeing something, not just hearing about it. So, what are some examples of Fi?

    What are situations where people show or have shown Fi? Or even another function as contrasted with Fi?
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  2. #2
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    you really want to go here again minde?

    ok. here's one. i'm sitting in a meeting and there are handouts. i take a hand out. a colleague arrives at the meeting about 1/2 hour late. colleague has no handout since she arrived late. isfj, who's running the meeting, reprimands me for not saving a handout for my late colleague, says that i was "not taking care of my colleague."

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  3. #3
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    you really want to go here again minde?
    Yes, if it means I can manage to squeeze something useful out of it. "Hope springs eternal..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    ok. here's one. i'm sitting in a meeting and there are handouts. i take a hand out. a colleague arrives at the meeting about 1/2 hour late. colleague has no handout since she arrived late. isfj, who's running the meeting, reprimands me for not saving a handout for my late colleague, says that i was "not taking care of my colleague."
    Good. Yes, that's the type of thing I meant.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  4. #4
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm not sure if this is the best example, but here it goes anyways:

    So it's a couple days before Christmas a year ago, and an ISFj friend that I have comes up to me with this extremely fancy looking gift bag, which looked like it took a while to put together. Of course, it's for me ( ), and of course, I didn't get anyone presents because I didn't care enough. So I'm standing there with this (relatively) expensive present, and it turns out that I was the only person at school who she bought a present for. I had absolutely no idea that she cared for me that much, and therefore I felt pretty bad that I couldn't reciprocate.

    I'm making her a really nice bracelet this year to make up for that, heh.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    I'm not sure if this is the best example, but here it goes anyways:

    So it's a couple days before Christmas a year ago, and an ISFj friend that I have comes up to me with this extremely fancy looking gift bag, which looked like it took a while to put together. Of course, it's for me ( ), and of course, I didn't get anyone presents because I didn't care enough. So I'm standing there with this (relatively) expensive present, and it turns out that I was the only person at school who she bought a present for. I had absolutely no idea that she cared for me that much, and therefore I felt pretty bad that I couldn't reciprocate.

    I'm making her a really nice bracelet this year to make up for that, heh.
    I relate to this much more than Blaze's example of the ISFj.
    INTp
    sx/sp

  6. #6
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Blaze's example made me think "What a bitch!" (not you Blaze, but ur boss)

  7. #7
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  8. #8
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes please; let's have some examples. No one understands Fi.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  9. #9
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't see how you can say that. Fi is one of the simpler functions to "get," IMO. The really tough one is Ni.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  10. #10
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    I don't see how you can say that. Fi is one of the simpler functions to "get," IMO. The really tough one is Ni.
    Then you should have no problem coming up with lots of great examples for us.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  11. #11
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    *reads the first post*
    *headdesk*
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  12. #12
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  13. #13
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    you really want to go here again minde?

    ok. here's one. i'm sitting in a meeting and there are handouts. i take a hand out. a colleague arrives at the meeting about 1/2 hour late. colleague has no handout since she arrived late. isfj, who's running the meeting, reprimands me for not saving a handout for my late colleague, says that i was "not taking care of my colleague."
    Are you serious?

  14. #14
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok, well, I used some Fi a couple of days ago. I convinced my EIE friend to talk to her boyfriend who lives where she's from about her problems with anxiety instead of talking with me, or at least before. He had called me and we talked for about half an hour about how she doesn't tell him much about her life at school. I told her that, if she was going to talk to someone about it, it should be him first, because he doesn't see her and he worries about her and needs to be involved in her life.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  15. #15
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    Blaze's example made me think "What a bitch!" (not you Blaze, but ur boss)
    I'd be taken back and sort of resentful that anyone would expect such Si from me if I was Blaze in that situation.
    I'd be pissed that I was getting a talking to over somebody else being late. (to be quite honest I'd most likely be the one showing up 25 minutes late to the meeting )

    (sorry to derail ur thread Minde)

    [/hijack]

  16. #16
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    Blaze's example made me think "What a bitch!" (not you Blaze, but ur boss)
    I'd be taken back and sort of resentful that anyone would expect such Si from me if I was Blaze in that situation.
    I'd be pissed that I was getting a talking to over somebody else being late. (to be quite honest I'd most likely be the one showing up 25 minutes late to the meeting )

    (sorry to derail ur thread Minde)

    [/hijack]
    yeah i kinda was too but wtf can you do? hahaha

    so diana you consider this Si not Fi?

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  17. #17
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd say it's a combination of ethics and sensing. Way too vague to pin on one function.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  18. #18

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    you really want to go here again minde?

    ok. here's one. i'm sitting in a meeting and there are handouts. i take a hand out. a colleague arrives at the meeting about 1/2 hour late. colleague has no handout since she arrived late. isfj, who's running the meeting, reprimands me for not saving a handout for my late colleague, says that i was "not taking care of my colleague."
    I woulda went crazy on this person... boss or not... If not a boss and just a colleague on a lateral level as i am, oh damn it woulda been a bad scene...lol

    I'm sure the first thing I would have said was, "I wasn't late, I'm not a babysitter, that's your job."
    I'd also expect anyone sitting/standing near the late person to share the handout with them, this shouldn't even be something for a person to ask.
    lol, you want to feel some ESFJ wrath, blame something on me that was someone else's fault. If I do something I'll be the first to take the blame, on anything... but if it's something as posted above... well that's just crazy to me.

  19. #19
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  20. #20
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Ok, well, I used some Fi a couple of days ago. I convinced my EIE friend to talk to her boyfriend who lives where she's from about her problems with anxiety instead of talking with me, or at least before. He had called me and we talked for about half an hour about how she doesn't tell him much about her life at school. I told her that, if she was going to talk to someone about it, it should be him first, because he doesn't see her and he worries about her and needs to be involved in her life.
    This is a pretty good example.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  21. #21
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    I don't see how you can say that. Fi is one of the simpler functions to "get," IMO. The really tough one is Ni.
    Not to me. Ni is either about time, or about inner worlds and fantasies. A lot of music is Ni-caked. Fi though? How do you really show Fi in a song?
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hm.. my INFj friend ascribes human like attributes and seems to feel genuine care for the pidgeons on the deck. I remember this was one time i felt, "her Fi is so pervasive". All things are seen through the form of relations with living things and their ethical treatment and personal needs. *shrug*

  23. #23
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Ok, well, I used some Fi a couple of days ago. I convinced my EIE friend to talk to her boyfriend who lives where she's from about her problems with anxiety instead of talking with me, or at least before. He had called me and we talked for about half an hour about how she doesn't tell him much about her life at school. I told her that, if she was going to talk to someone about it, it should be him first, because he doesn't see her and he worries about her and needs to be involved in her life.
    That's lovely, but is that all? I'm sure you have more up your sleeve. Especially after claiming to know Fi so well.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  24. #24
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Apparently, is my dominant function.

    Getting into arguments about my strong values system and talking about how I feel sometimes is my way of expressing Fi.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  25. #25
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir
    Apparently, is my dominant function.

    Getting into arguments about my strong values system and talking about how I feel sometimes is my way of expressing Fi.
    As an ISFp, your two dominant functions would be and , not .
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  26. #26
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir
    Apparently, is my dominant function.

    Getting into arguments about my strong values system and talking about how I feel sometimes is my way of expressing Fi.
    As an ISFp, your two dominant functions would be and , not .
    OO, got my jungian/socionics functions mixed up, xD.

    Nice call Minde.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  27. #27
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The evaluating nature of Fi seems apparent in the way my ISFj mother weighs the timing of social calls and functions. Be it coffee at someone's house or a supper, it operates on a subjective, "well, we've had them over x amout of times, and they've had us over x-1 times, so it's their turn to host." Essentially meaning that until they (my parents) were invited over, she would not be offering an invitation.

    If you think about that in a certain context, it sounds negative and tacky, but she's from a conservative, prarie background where that kind of logic took on a positive role. All parties were assumed to have been on board with the idea. I think most of us also kind of operate on that level too - who hasn't gotten fed up with a friend who never makes an effort to get in touch?

    In her, Fi also judges behaviour based on utility. Stunt pilots are a 'menace' and 'should not put their families through that', but normal pilots who make a living from transporting people and goods can be 'allowed' to fly planes.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  28. #28
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    I don't see how you can say that. Fi is one of the simpler functions to "get," IMO. The really tough one is Ni.
    Not to me. Ni is either about time, or about inner worlds and fantasies. A lot of music is Ni-caked. Fi though? How do you really show Fi in a song?
    Well, I would say that first and foremost there is when you mentally associate a song with an internal feeling, maybe due to what's going on when you hear it. The best examples I can think of are movies/video games, say when Cid tries to save everyone by strapping a bomb to his chest and diving off the airship to seal off the underworld (FFIV) or when Celes, despairing over having watched her foster father wither away and finally succumb to his illness, throws herself off the cliff on the island they had been stranded on, yet survives (FFVI). Also, you might also say that it can be combined with Ni, 'constructing' emotional content in the form of a scenario like these I've mentioned, perhaps love between two people that is realized or torn apart or even epic battles between good and evil, the underdog, the weak, and those that abuse power. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to get out here, other than that Fi might be the more visceral emotional content that, depending on how it is understood by the person experiencing it, might be given various forms using whatever natural creative or comprehensive strengths that individual possesses.

    So, when at least I talk about Fi, I suppose I'm saying that I take what I most naturally see in the world (people, the relationships which must exist between them, raw emotional feels) and try to make sense of them, give them a form that is expressible or explainable (something I can point to), as well as play creatively with this understanding to make something new.

    But I feel like I've been beating this whole Fi and music connection into the ground lately. I think I've gotten a better personal grasp on it though. Anyway, I hope this is helpful in some way.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  29. #29
    Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    6,626
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't know, I think "raw emotional feels" could just as easily be Fe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    I don't see how you can say that. Fi is one of the simpler functions to "get," IMO. The really tough one is Ni.
    Not to me. Ni is either about time, or about inner worlds and fantasies.
    Ni probably has more to do with time than any other element, but I don't think that "time" captures what it's really about. It's about the development of things over time.

  30. #30
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default




    Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Inviting people to discuss your type means that it's not possible for them to cross lines or say anything else that pisses you off?
    No, but maybe my standards for crossing lines are a bit different. I just haven't seen much justification here for cussing people out. Perhaps I should have said that this behavior falls under my idea of unreasonableness.

    Pray, everyone continue being exactly who they want to be. Just don't expect me to always like or approve of it.
    http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...=294089#294089


    note: (delta )
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  31. #31
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    I don't see how you can say that. Fi is one of the simpler functions to "get," IMO. The really tough one is Ni.
    Not to me. Ni is either about time, or about inner worlds and fantasies. A lot of music is Ni-caked. Fi though? How do you really show Fi in a song?
    You describe your relationship with a person...pretty simple.

    Ni is not just "time or fantasies." There's actually a definition.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  32. #32
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Ok, well, I used some Fi a couple of days ago. I convinced my EIE friend to talk to her boyfriend who lives where she's from about her problems with anxiety instead of talking with me, or at least before. He had called me and we talked for about half an hour about how she doesn't tell him much about her life at school. I told her that, if she was going to talk to someone about it, it should be him first, because he doesn't see her and he worries about her and needs to be involved in her life.
    That's lovely, but is that all? I'm sure you have more up your sleeve. Especially after claiming to know Fi so well.
    pfff...is that a challenge?

    Ok, here's another one. I skipped class the other day because I was in the middle of a discussion with my friend about mental disorders. With most people, I would have said "Man, I got like 5 minutes, I gotta split..." But it was a pretty deep conversation and I needed to be there for him, so I skipped.

    Here's a good example of rectifying ignorance of Fi with Fe. Yesterday in the car on the way home from the airport, it came up that I had made a scheduling conflict: last week I had agreed to both go out with friends AND cook dinner for my parents last night. I had to make a choice, so I thought about the fact that I hadn't talked to my friend Colin, who was coming to get me, in a while, and I knew that he had been feeling like I was ignoring him since I'm rarely in my room to answer the phone at school. My parents have a hard time getting in touch with me, too, but we've discussed it in depth, and I had talked to them more in the recent past. In other words, I knew that Colin was probably feeling worse about the situation since he didn't know exactly what was going on. Also, I'm living with my parents for the week, and as such, it seemed not entirely inappropriate to "shaft" them just the once in order to reunite with friends.

    See, the Fi bond between my parents and I is obviously stronger than with my friends. That's weird for me to say, because I love my friends like hell and I would usually rather spend time with them than my parents, but there's nothing higher than family. If I had made an Fi decision, it would be simple: "I love my family more, so they are my priority." But I examined not the constant, "static" relation between myself and my parents and friends, but the "dynamics," the current happenstances, in order to determine who it would be better to ask to make a compromise with.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  33. #33
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand
    The evaluating nature of Fi seems apparent in the way my ISFj mother weighs the timing of social calls and functions. Be it coffee at someone's house or a supper, it operates on a subjective, "well, we've had them over x amout of times, and they've had us over x-1 times, so it's their turn to host." Essentially meaning that until they (my parents) were invited over, she would not be offering an invitation.
    Ahh, my ISFj mom does the exact same thing, and it royally pisses me off when she starts bitching about it. My thoughts on it are, "Who cares, the point is that you're getting together with good friends, not to keep a strict tally on whose house it's at." If you're that anal about it, just get them to buy the food or something so that the workload's even.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  34. #34
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @Minde: an example of use of Fi is when you notice that two people aren't getting along well, that there is some issue between them, and you talk to them separately in order to try to find out what is the issue and how you can solve it.

    A "darker" example of Fi. I was reading Gore Vidal's memoirs, Point to Point Navigation. He was sort of related to Jackie Kennedy (they had, in succession, the same man as stepfather, and shared half-siblings) and through her he got to know the Kennedy White House a bit. Vidal had a bitter row with Bobby Kennedy, and in the aftermath Jackie sided with Bobby to the point of saying publicly that Vidal had never been more than a very casual acquaintance to her. Because of this, he simply cut her off and never spoke to her again.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  35. #35
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    pfff...is that a challenge?
    Yes. You interpret me correctly.

    I knew you could rise to it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    @Minde: an example of use of Fi is when you notice that two people aren't getting along well, that there is some issue between them, and you talk to them separately in order to try to find out what is the issue and how you can solve it.
    It doesn't always work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    A "darker" example of Fi. I was reading Gore Vidal's memoirs, Point to Point Navigation. He was sort of related to Jackie Kennedy (they had, in succession, the same man as stepfather, and shared half-siblings) and through her he got to know the Kennedy White House a bit. Vidal had a bitter row with Bobby Kennedy, and in the aftermath Jackie sided with Bobby to the point of saying publicly that Vidal had never been more than a very casual acquaintance to her. Because of this, he simply cut her off and never spoke to her again.
    Good, thank you.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  36. #36
    liveandletlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,290
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm not sure how good of a grasp you have on but in my ego block, my first function is and my second one is . Depending on what (or any of the functions) is blocked with and what function it is, is used differently. Because my first function is (which is dealing with the concrete, external surroundings, power, etc.) if something in my environment goes against my morals, I can be evoked to do something rash, without thinking about it like an N person might. I know that this description isn't exactly about Fi in general, more about model A... there's a clearer picture of below- i promise.

    OK so with introverted IM elements you are experiencing those elements as an object versus extroverted IM elements where you are experiencing those elements as the subject. For lack of better terms, it's almost as if you "feel" (nothing to do with ethics) these introverted elements more and they have to do with internal states. OK so that may not mean much to you but it helps when describing .

    In , it's almost as if you "feel" your own emotions more so than with . They run deep within you and that is why (as some people mentioned in this thread before) types have a tendency to cut people out of their lives if they go against a very important issue to them. It's almost as if they'd rather cut someone out than have to live with themselves for letting someone violate their ethics. Also too something I've noticed from types, is that because their own emotions are not as dependent on others as is, their emotions tend to flunctuate for little or no seeming reason. Their emotions won't always be accounted to external events or situations- "just because."

    In contrast, types tend to be very forgiving, and understanding of others' feelings and emotions- thus, they are not as inclined to cutting someone off as an type may be. As much as types "feel" their own emotions, types "feel" others emotions. My Mom is an type and whenever there's a sappy (to me) story on tv or sad song on the radio or a child that has gone missing she'll start to cry or at the very least feel emotionally affected by this whereas I tend to find these things cliche- almost too easy in terms of evoking emotion and remain relatively unaffected. This also works in to how types' emotions don't fluctuate as much as types. types's emotions work like this: Events A+B=C. Event C is sad so therefore I'm sad. This also explains in a way how and work together. is a very logical emotional state if that makes any sense. However, with this whole emotions thing is relative and changes constantly. That's why they need a type to help them make sense of the world, which can get quite clouded for them in their little self-created utopia.

    Wow that's a whole lot of symbols...
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

  37. #37
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Ok, well, I used some Fi a couple of days ago. I convinced my EIE friend to talk to her boyfriend who lives where she's from about her problems with anxiety instead of talking with me, or at least before. He had called me and we talked for about half an hour about how she doesn't tell him much about her life at school. I told her that, if she was going to talk to someone about it, it should be him first, because he doesn't see her and he worries about her and needs to be involved in her life.
    That's lovely, but is that all? I'm sure you have more up your sleeve. Especially after claiming to know Fi so well.
    pfff...is that a challenge?
    *coughsupervisioncough*

    Ok, here's another one. I skipped class the other day because I was in the middle of a discussion with my friend about mental disorders. With most people, I would have said "Man, I got like 5 minutes, I gotta split..." But it was a pretty deep conversation and I needed to be there for him, so I skipped.
    truth be told gill, you know you didn't feel like goin to class lol.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  38. #38
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand
    The evaluating nature of Fi seems apparent in the way my ISFj mother weighs the timing of social calls and functions. Be it coffee at someone's house or a supper, it operates on a subjective, "well, we've had them over x amout of times, and they've had us over x-1 times, so it's their turn to host." Essentially meaning that until they (my parents) were invited over, she would not be offering an invitation.
    Ahh, my ISFj mom does the exact same thing, and it royally pisses me off when she starts bitching about it. My thoughts on it are, "Who cares, the point is that you're getting together with good friends, not to keep a strict tally on whose house it's at." If you're that anal about it, just get them to buy the food or something so that the workload's even.
    at the risk of beating a dead horse and possibly incurring the wrath of diana and anndelise, is this not an example of Fi-related social etiquette? lol but yeah i agree. but since my estj mother does it also, it could also just be Fi-valuing behavior as well.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  39. #39
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think all information aspects have a good side and a bad side. Or maybe many potential good sides and bad sides. Anyway, none are only good, and none are only bad.

    A good side of Fi is taking care of those you have relationships with. A bad side of Fi is shaming people into doing what you think should be done.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  40. #40
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I think all information aspects have a good side and a bad side. Or maybe many potential good sides and bad sides. Anyway, none are only good, and none are only bad.

    A good side of Fi is taking care of those you have relationships with. A bad side of Fi is shaming people into doing what you think should be done.
    wow. well said.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •