Thread: The missing link? Similarities between Jung's typology and Kant's judgement categories

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The missing link? Similarities between Jung's typology and Kant's judgement categories

After I engage myself more intensively with kant and found some interesting simelarities between jung's typologic and kant's judgement categories. He expanded judgements of the combination of a priori (w/o experience) and a posteriori (w/ experience) on one side with analytical (not composed) and synthetical (composed) on the other side. Jung said in his work explicitly that the EP temperament belongs to the empirical typus which means they are synthetical a posteriori and about the EJ temperament that they create something which could point to synthetical a priori. If I interpolate the scheme I get analytical jugements a priori for the IJ and analytical a posteriori for the IP temperament. Thing is that analytical judgement a posteriori are not possible! Maybe this could explain the high passiveness of which jung talk about the IPs.

A short table for better explanation:

analytical a priori_________________________| analytical a posteriori
    tautologic; logic, (empirical psychology?) IJ __| not possible, IP
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    synthetical a priori________________________| synthetical a posteriori
    mathematics, pure physics, EJ______________| empirical, induction, EP

If you want to know more about the judgment and understand german I can recommon the german wikipedia article of "kritik der reinen vernunft" (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kritik_...nft#Einleitung).

Any ideas?
    "Wenn der Deutsche in einen Satz taucht, dann hat man ihn die längste Zeit gesehen, bis er auf der anderen Seite des Ozeans wieder auftaucht mit seinem Verb im Mund." - Mark Twain

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im sure you could find a connection there but I don't think that it's the only explanation for the divisions that Jung chose to make.

I think it might be simpler to say, IxTp find it a complete waste of time to place attention on internal structure (Ti); not that their IP temperament stems from an inability to make analytical judgment about things in experience. All types are able to use a particular type of logic, all types are able to see a concept dividing a priori and a posteriori things; whether they choose to make various judgments are up to them.

As an LII Kant did influence my thinking but so did Wittgenstein. whom I think is ILI. Both philosophers did seem to demonstrate stereotypical thought patterns for their projected types, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The missing link?

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    how on earth is passiveness related to a posteriori???
    I didn't say so.
    "Wenn der Deutsche in einen Satz taucht, dann hat man ihn die längste Zeit gesehen, bis er auf der anderen Seite des Ozeans wieder auftaucht mit seinem Verb im Mund." - Mark Twain

Creepy-bg

I thought this thread was going to be about Mustachio