View Poll Results: Jokes at the expense of others?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never bored of them

5 12.82%
  • I enjoy them on occasion

14 35.90%
  • I'm neutral to them

5 12.82%
  • I think they're unfair/discrimatory

3 7.69%
  • I would actively intervene/stop them from taking place

12 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jokes at the expense of others

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jokes at the expense of others

Inspired by PotatoSpirit's thread.

Name your type, and whether or not you can stand or enjoy these kind of jokes.

In essence, I want to know which types are more susceptible to the it's-funny-when-it's-not-happening-to-me syndrome.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy them on occassion. Not my main form of laughs though.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate them and would intervene if I could.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted "I would actively intervene/stop them from taking place". I assume that "at the expense of" means that they are in some way harmed by the joke and don't think it's funny.

However, "harmed" goes beyond just having hurt feelings. Sometimes people are too sensitive about shit and need to be shown that.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neutral. I just ignore it.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I hate them and would intervene if I could.
    Same. Also as per Joy's first sentence.

I dislike jokes that are supposed to be "funny" by putting someone else in an embarrassing/unpleasant/ridiculous situation, especially those where the victim does not know that it's a joke - like hiding someone's objects (a key, wallet, etc) to make the person think they're lost, while everyone else silently enjoys the victim's increasing frenzy looking for them. I have seen grown "professional" men doing this to a colleague while on a business trip.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends entirely on the situation. Sometimes it's definitely funny, but sometimes it needs to be stopped fast.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the point of the joke is to just have a laugh at another's misfortune, I hate it (especially if the misfortune was created for the sake of the joke).

If it's the person doesn't know that they're being made fun of, it depends on the situation. I don't have much sympathy for celebrities, for example. However, I'd rather just criticize them than make fun of them. lol

If the point of the joke is to get to someone so they understand that they're taking themselves to seriously or that it's not the end of the world or that there is something they can do about it or whatever, I support it, even if it hurts that person's feelings (sometimes people need to hurt in order to get past something).

If it's a two way thing... both people behaving in that manner... I don't generally feel the need to intervene, but I also generally don't find it funny (unless I'm involved or have had problems with one or both of the people, but generally I take a "two wrongs don't make a right" sort of approach to this type of situation). If both people are enjoying it on some level, then it's not really "at the expense of another". If both people are getting hurt, I may try to point out that it's not in their best interests to continue.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are my favorite, especially if the bersail is crippled or handicapped
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucked up. I don't find it funny at all.

If someone does it to someone whom I care about... I'd definitely intervene.

I believe this poll is a joke. I can't imagine anyone at all who finds this amusing.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like them. Even when it's meant to "teach them a lesson." I only tolerate it when the person getting laughed at went into the situation with a good idea of what to expect. I'll intervene depending on how much I think I can accomplish and how well I think the person is capable of handling it. As for the perpetrators, they immediately lose a good deal of my respect and liking.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I admit, some of the candy-camera type things I find funny. Mostly I'm looking at the people's reactions..are they taking this at face value, do they sense that something is off about the whole situation, do they think the actor is crazy and how do they respond to 'people' they think are crazy (or such). These kinds of shows (when I do watch them, which is rare anyways) help show various reactions people can have to a situation... it's a chance to study people.

However, even with these kinds of things there is a limit to what I find acceptable (to me) or not. If this kind of joke could actually harm another person or even just make them uncomfortable, physically, emotionally, relationship-wise, other... then I don't find it amusing...more of a shock-and-anger kind of feeling.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one that enjoys making handicapped and/or old people fall down from a bridge while still keeping them alive a bit so that they are in pain?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably ISFP and ESFJ would say: never bored of them.

They make these jokes all the time.

I'll say neutral, it really depends how it hurts others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's funny as long as it isn't meant in a cruel sadistic way. but i agree with Herzy that it's freakin' human nature. how do you think tabloids get sold? you won't get a fair sample here Ezra. most people will never admit that they might find this kind of thing hilarious. even when it's meant without harm.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You all are prudes.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mustachio
    it's funny as long as it isn't meant in a cruel sadistic way. but i agree with Herzy that it's freakin' human nature. how do you think tabloids get sold? you won't get a fair sample here Ezra. most people will never admit that they might find this kind of thing hilarious. even when it's meant without harm.
    Considering the forum we're in, you might keep in mind that whatever your anecdotal experiences are and have been, there is still a possibility that while it may be a part of some or even most humans' nature, it may not be a part of all.

I should qualify my previous post, though, by saying that when I was younger, I did enjoy feeding our boxer peanut butter on occasion.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dogs friggin LOVE peanut butter.

(Haha when I was a kid I used to short sheet people's beds, put plastic wrap over the toilet, tie people's shoe laces together, etc. My parents were pretty good sports, but I learned never to fuck with my dad's coffee. )
    SEE

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never like, always very much dislike those that are made to make fun of the PERSON. If it's a joke like someone pops out from the closet with a mask on and the person jumps a foot in the air, I laugh. But if it seriously frightens them then I would feel bad.. etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    Quote Originally Posted by mustachio
    Considering the forum we're in, you might keep in mind that whatever your anecdotal experiences are and have been, there is still a possibility that while it may be a part of some or even most humans' nature, it may not be a part of all.

I should qualify my previous post, though, by saying that when I was younger, I did enjoy feeding our boxer peanut butter on occasion.
    unfortunately, i do doubt that most people wouldn't laugh at others' expense. certainly, there must be a fraction of people who don't sneer (as is the case here) but chances are they represent a considerable minority. still, i wasn't pointing the finger at anyone in particular. i have never met any of you and probably never will. then again, it is my assumption that most people do not know themselves very well until they are faced with extraordinary adversity. and being naturally sceptic, i can only take what people here say at face value.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean by "at another person's expense?" Do you think a person can make fun of someone else and it not by at their expense?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    ESFJ would say: never bored of them.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    That's why I didn't feel too bad about it.

It's not as fun anymore now that I've got a dog with a normal mouth, though.

Creepy-bg

if it's light teasing like, and I'm sure the person knows I'm teasing, and it's too them... not a group of other people. Yes, I do it alot. I'd never do it in a way that's hurtful though, I'm very careful about that. I don't like making people feel stupid, inept, or like they stand out in a bad way to others. When that happens I feel the persons pain as much as they do. Because of that I don't like physical practical jokes like from that other thread, or giving someone a flat tire shoe or any of that that junk.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends on the nature of the joke, i suppose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted never bored of them. Assuming the target either goes along or isn't too offended.
    I also often try to stop them if said assumption is false.

I know people with real will laugh at me now, but I usually enjoy it when I'm the target too.
    LSI

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy

(Haha when I was a kid I used to short sheet people's beds, put plastic wrap over the toilet, tie people's shoe laces together, etc. My parents were pretty good sports, but I learned never to fuck with my dad's coffee. )
    You are Naruto.
    I was just bored, I think. Homeschooling does that to a kid.
    SEE

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who the hell enjoys jokes that would SERIOUSLY cause pain to someone, emotionally/mentally/physically? This is not correlated to Socionics type in anyway, I think it's more correlated to being an asshole.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    Who the hell enjoys jokes that would SERIOUSLY cause pain to someone, emotionally/mentally/physically? This is not correlated to Socionics type in anyway, I think it's more correlated to being an asshole.
    ++

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate practical jokes, it might be fun for the first couple seconds, but then I would feel like shit for the rest of the day cuz I just embarrased someone bad.

If we're great friends and they forgive me, then it's all good.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neutral. I tend to watch from a distance. if the target can stand on his own, I will most likely either just keep silent or toss in the proverbial match, smile as all goes boom. If i see that the target cannot bear it, unless it is one of my favored few,, i might make a dry comment, cripple the joker's complacency somewhat. If it is a situation that makes me angry, i will attack whatever I see as the source of the matter. It is not really emotions i am affected by -- at leaast I think not -- it is the measure of balance, of two forces aligned against each other. I will act according too my assessment.

ILI

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been the type to do practical jokes, when done to me I tend to get pissed off more than cheerful.
    I know the limits of my humor quite well and tend to stay on the funny side rather than even getting close to the awkward side when making a joke about someone else. This keeps me from sticking my foot in my mouth and keeps me from having enemies over something I said. I tend to use very heavy sarcasm in most situations where someone else will be laughing their ass off while another person is just having a regular conversation with me. When this conversation actually flows well it's a spectacle to watch. I absolutely love doing this with kids because you can say soooo much that goes over their head with a different meaning while anyone else in the room is going hysterical.
    I remember once I was visiting a buddy of mine and his kids were sitting there watching tv with me. My friends 6 year old said something and I answered his question with some sarcasm, then he asked a few more questions and I answered the same way... after this 10 minute conversation was over his 15 year old sister told me how amazing it was because the kid never caught on to anything I was saying with sarcasm. By the end of that little time, he had whatever info he asked me about and was smiling and his sister was about to die laughing. Everyone was happy and nobody's feelings were hurt in any way. <-This is my type of humor.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not a fan at all.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    I've never been the type to do practical jokes, when done to me I tend to get pissed off more than cheerful.
    I know the limits of my humor quite well and tend to stay on the funny side rather than even getting close to the awkward side when making a joke about someone else. This keeps me from sticking my foot in my mouth and keeps me from having enemies over something I said. I tend to use very heavy sarcasm in most situations where someone else will be laughing their ass off while another person is just having a regular conversation with me. When this conversation actually flows well it's a spectacle to watch. I absolutely love doing this with kids because you can say soooo much that goes over their head with a different meaning while anyone else in the room is going hysterical.
    I remember once I was visiting a buddy of mine and his kids were sitting there watching tv with me. My friends 6 year old said something and I answered his question with some sarcasm, then he asked a few more questions and I answered the same way... after this 10 minute conversation was over his 15 year old sister told me how amazing it was because the kid never caught on to anything I was saying with sarcasm. By the end of that little time, he had whatever info he asked me about and was smiling and his sister was about to die laughing. Everyone was happy and nobody's feelings were hurt in any way. <-This is my type of humor.
    See, I don't like that type of thing because while kids are initially trusting, they're generally not stupid and will eventually catch on to what you're doing. Then you lose their trust. I guess for some people that isn't a big deal, but it's kind of important to me. I'd rather have the kids trust me in the long run than have momentary fun at their expense. (Sorry if I'm hitting your PoLR.)

I think part of it also has to do with the fact that I would hate it for someone to do that to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said neutral because I like watching Candid Camera type shows. I also like when comedians start riffing on audience members, who usually love it.

But I cannot abide it in my personal life. It's a way to get attention for yourself by hurting someone else, that's what practical jokers are about. Ha ha aren't I hilarious, look at you, you douche
    EII
    4w5, sp/sx

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    +1.

I don't mind been made fun of in a friendly and joking way, but I also believe that there is a limit before the joke is taken too far.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like this kind of thing. I don't like seeing people make others feel bad. If you see a weakness, and then choose to make fun of it I see no way this can help the person. I really hate when people laugh at people when they get hurt. Like if someone trips or something. Some IEIs I know really like this stuff. This one guy is always trying to trip other people to make them look stupid. I think this really just makes him look stupid.
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

Come on. Can someone tell a joke that's actually funny, and isn't made on someones expense. Besides I've seen some of the people who have said they hate that in here, do that on this board.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make fun of my friends from time to time, because I hope they realise not to take me too seriously... but it does annoy me when I see a group of people making fun of another person when there is no solid positive relationship between the people making fun and the subject. At the same time I am probably guilty (at least in real life) of laughing along (especially when I don't know the people making the joke too well) when I know I shouldn't.

(oh and Ezra if you're still reading this thread, I think I am more INFj than anything else... or at least Delta.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    I make fun of my friends from time to time, because I hope they realise not to take me too seriously... but it does annoy me when I see a group of people making fun of another person when there is no solid positive relationship between the people making fun and the subject. At the same time I am probably guilty (at least in real life) of laughing along (especially when I don't know the people making the joke too well) when I know I shouldn't.

(oh and Ezra if you're still reading this thread, I think I am more INFj than anything else... or at least Delta.)
    I prettymuch agree with this. I couldn't really vote on this because my friends and I have little jokes about each other alot but none of us take it too seriously and its never malicious or about anything serious.
    LII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast