Thread: Greetings, and what am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Greetings, and what am I?

I'm fairly new to Socionics and MBTI. I don't know my type in either system, because it seems like I have elements of both on every dichotomy. I'm also not clear on the functional definitions, or how sure I can be that they apply to me based on any particular definition, because I don't know if I'm understanding the definitions correctly. So I was hoping someone here could tell me what type I am likely to be, based on their impression of me.

I enjoy reading books and searching the Internet to learn about various things. I'm fairly interested in computers, and know how to configure them in hardware and software. I only have a cursory knowledge of C in terms of programming languages, but I'm trying to learn more.

I often think about my friends, and how much they mean to me. I don't have that many, but I value the ones I have. I would worry a lot if I thought something might have happened to them.

I occasionally think of very strange things, like the idea that nothing is exactly as I perceive it, and wondering why 7 of the 8 functions are also elements on the periodic table, the sole exception being Fi.

I'm interested in psychology, and I want to do either something in that field, or something related to computers when I get through college.

So... any ideas about my type?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Greetings, and what am I?

Quote Originally Posted by cerelda64
    I occasionally think of very strange things, like the idea that nothing is exactly as I perceive it, and wondering why 7 of the 8 functions are also elements on the periodic table, the sole exception being Fi.
    lol.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INXx? (X's meaning I really don't have a good guess on that dichotomy)

I'm sure that helped you out tons.

The thing is, I would accept that the question is going to turn out to be a pretty hard one. I guess I'd suggest sitting down, doing some reading, and put on your thinking (feeling?) cap.

Oh, and my reason for saying introverted and intuitive (as baseless as they may turn out to be) is that you mentioned not having very many close friends (which doesn't shut out extraversion, by any means) and that the fields you were interested in (computers, programming languages, psychology) kind of bend more towards the abstract (but again, that's kind of oversimplifying things). What you said about both of each of the dichotomies being present is a good thing to note. The important thing to do though would to really try to get a good grasp on the information elements themselves and which are more or less important to you. If it seems slow in coming, trust me, it is. Also, wikisocion is a good website to get things clarified and if you see someone named Rick saying something, listen attentively. The people here are generally helpful (generally), so feel free to ask questions, don't take things too seriously and personally, and you'll do fine.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Greetings, and what am I?

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    lol.
    I too found that amusing. Ne? Ni?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spend some time look at this link cerelda. And this one too. They're both the best socionics sources you can get at the moment.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    good man!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your ideas/links, munenori2 and Ezra. They've helped a bit, but I still feel uncomfortable trying to define myself in terms of any particular function, because it seems like there's a little too much room for interpretation. Do you know what I mean?

I have a couple of other things I'll go ahead and add about myself...

The first is, I'm not really open to risks, especially if they're not necessary. If I can minimize them, I will. But on the other hand, I am open to new ideas or ways of looking at things, and will usually entertain perspectives that I don't necessarily agree with just for the sake of understanding them, and why people might hold them. I can be rigidly sensitive and closed-minded towards very specific categories of things, usually because I feel intimidated or disgusted by them. (Ideas like "It's okay because other people do it," "Live in the moment," "Let yourself experience it without trying to describe it," and "Allow yourself to be vulnerable.")

Another is that for some reason, I've tested as LN (Lawful-Neutral) on alignment tests. I don't really believe I impose order meaninglessly, however. It's more that I feel comfortable working with structure rather than against it. It just seems strange to me to behave in ways that are simply rebellious without any real reason for doing so. I usually follow accepted standards as long as I can do so without doing something that seems fundamentally wrong, and I usually can. I feel very torn when my idea of what's right/wrong insolubly conflicts with formal laws/rules, and in those situations I feel some guilt no matter which I choose.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But on the other hand, I am open to new ideas or ways of looking at things, and will usually entertain perspectives that I don't necessarily agree with just for the sake of understanding them, and why people might hold them. (Ideas like "It's okay because other people do it," "Live in the moment," "Let yourself experience it without trying to describe it," and "Allow yourself to be vulnerable.")
    why do you think this is? devil's advocate: other people are all idiots, or at least most are. why should you care why they think what they think if it doesn't make any sense?

I can be rigidly sensitive and closed-minded towards very specific categories of things, usually because I feel intimidated or disgusted by them.
    examples?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII is my guess.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    LII is my guess.
    i was thinking EII

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    LII is my guess.
    i was thinking EII
    After reading the second post, I agree.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, EII.

you have the monologue vibe of the EIIs on the forum.
    does anyone else ever notice that? EII usually write long contemplative posts when they're talking about themselves or on stuff like their values, and usually in the same general tone too.
    i'm just saying.