Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Appearance & Potential

  1. #1
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Appearance & Potential

    If you look at someone and think, if they did this, that, and that, they would look much better, is this related to Ne?

    Because if it is, I am very good at it. I derive a fair bit of satisfaction from it too. I'd be interested if it isn't though.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Appearance & Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    If you look at someone and think, if they did this, that, and that, they would look much better, is this related to Ne?

    Because if it is, I am very good at it. I derive a fair bit of satisfaction from it too. I'd be interested if it isn't though.
    IMO, not necessarily. You might be using your strong, conscious functions to decide what YOU think would be better for the person IF they did this/that.
    INTp
    sx/sp

  3. #3
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, aesthetic. Like I'll see a guy with glasses, unshaven and with long, unwashed and unclean hair, and I'll think to myself "if he shaved, had a neat haircut and got contacts, he'd look pretty decent".
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  4. #4
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think that's probably Se. Not Ne anyway. Ne is more about seeing what people's potential is in a non-physical way. Like what someone would enjoy, what someone would be good at, etc.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  5. #5
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I think that's probably Se. Not Ne anyway. Ne is more about seeing what people's potential is in a non-physical way. Like what someone would enjoy, what someone would be good at, etc.
    I can dig that.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I think that's probably Se. Not Ne anyway. Ne is more about seeing what people's potential is in a non-physical way. Like what someone would enjoy, what someone would be good at, etc.
    this is Ne blocked with Fi. actually, this is a carbon copy of what rick was talking about with regards to Ne in new york.

    Ne with Ti is manifest rather differently; with greater emphasis on systems and abstract ideas rather than on the characteristics of other people.

  7. #7
    normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nil
    TIM
    nil
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So... If I see man which I believe (in my imagination) to be a very good fighter (don't see him fighting before) or a very fast horse in a race (don't actually see it running before), it this intuition related with ??

  8. #8
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I think that's probably Se. Not Ne anyway. Ne is more about seeing what people's potential is in a non-physical way. Like what someone would enjoy, what someone would be good at, etc.
    this is Ne blocked with Fi. actually, this is a carbon copy of what rick was talking about with regards to Ne in new york.

    Ne with Ti is manifest rather differently; with greater emphasis on systems and abstract ideas rather than on the characteristics of other people.
    I was wondering if it was strictly Ne or Ne+Fi. I know what Ne feels like *for me* but it's hard to imagine what it would feel like with Ti.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by normal
    So... If I see man which I believe (in my imagination) to be a very good fighter (don't see him fighting before) or a very fast horse in a race (don't actually see it running before), it this intuition related with ??
    these situations are very vague.

  10. #10
    normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nil
    TIM
    nil
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by normal
    So... If I see man which I believe (in my imagination) to be a very good fighter (don't see him fighting before) or a very fast horse in a race (don't actually see it running before), it this intuition related with ??
    these situations are very vague.
    you think so?
    I used to think a lot about this. One day i fough with a person (accidentally) which i consider him (in my mind and imagination) a very tough and my guesses were right. Sometimes the situation are vague, but the intention of 'guess' what potential could have a thing or a person i don't think so. I related this with dragon ball z's 'ki'. I believe when i was a 'good boy' that I can sense the ki of other people. I named this way of thinking like 'intuition', but lately i consider that i was wrong.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by normal
    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by normal
    So... If I see man which I believe (in my imagination) to be a very good fighter (don't see him fighting before) or a very fast horse in a race (don't actually see it running before), it this intuition related with ??
    these situations are very vague.
    you think so?
    I used to think a lot about this. One day i fough with a person (accidentally) which i consider him (in my mind and imagination) a very tough and my guesses were right. Sometimes the situation are vague, but the intention of 'guess' what potential could have a thing or a person i don't think so. I related this with dragon ball z's 'ki'. I believe when i was a 'good boy' that I can sense the ki of other people. I named this way of thinking like 'intuition', but lately i consider that i was wrong.

    i mean that your descriptions of the situation are very vague. it's really not clear what you're talking about or what information you're using to come to these conclusions.

  12. #12
    normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nil
    TIM
    nil
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default



    Ok, one day Im going to explain myself better. Right now i'm not in mood. :wink:

  13. #13
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Appearance & Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    If you look at someone and think, if they did this, that, and that, they would look much better, is this related to Ne?

    Because if it is, I am very good at it. I derive a fair bit of satisfaction from it too. I'd be interested if it isn't though.
    This sounds like Si - you are evaluating based on a personal system of aesthetics. If you've ever seen "What Not To Wear" or some other show like that, it's basically Si-dominants making those with weak Si cry. The fashion consultants'/stylists' aesthetics are based on what "looks good" to them. When the "victim" starts objecting, it's usually because they've chosen their clothing for reasons other than what "looks good" (i.e., Si) - e.g., comfort, expression of intuitive "aura", fear of attention, they just don't care, etc.

    Se types in general are pretty likely to make fun of weak-Si when they want to pick on someone, but not likely to offer any suggestions for its improvement.

  14. #14
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I thought Si too but I dunno for sure.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  15. #15
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The only reason I thought Se>Si is that I've heard my ISFj brother do that, but not my ISTp husband. But that's a really weak argument for it being Se>Si, so I'm open to that idea being wrong.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NiFe
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Appearance & Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    If you look at someone and think, if they did this, that, and that, they would look much better, is this related to Ne?

    Because if it is, I am very good at it. I derive a fair bit of satisfaction from it too. I'd be interested if it isn't though.
    This sounds like Si - you are evaluating based on a personal system of aesthetics.
    I don't know how it works out with functions, Ms. K, implied, myself etc. noticed this type of evaluating coming from ISFj's as well. They deliver their Si sense to others through Se...or...

    If you've ever seen "What Not To Wear" or some other show like that, it's basically Si-dominants making those with weak Si cry.
    I was so repulsed by them when I first saw them. Felt like they were trying to rip away people's sense of self/originality! But their fashion sense won me over. Most people light up @ their new self...it turns out to be almost theraputic.

    Se types in general are pretty likely to make fun of weak-Si when they want to pick on someone, but not likely to offer any suggestions for its improvement.
    My experience as well. I have to ask my SLE to give me fashion imput.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NiFe
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    The only reason I thought Se>Si is that I've heard my ISFj brother do that, but not my ISTp husband. But that's a really weak argument for it being Se>Si, so I'm open to that idea being wrong.
    Yeah, I've heard my ISFj friend do that but not my ISFp friend. ESTj friend doesn't hold her tounge when it comes to how people can look better. I'm literally going to trim my hair before I see her for the holidays...just to avoid her telling me that my split ends make my hair look dead.

  18. #18
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maze
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    The only reason I thought Se>Si is that I've heard my ISFj brother do that, but not my ISTp husband. But that's a really weak argument for it being Se>Si, so I'm open to that idea being wrong.
    Yeah, I've heard my ISFj friend do that but not my ISFp friend. ESTj friend doesn't hold her tounge when it comes to how people can look better. I'm literally going to trim my hair before I see her for the holidays...just to avoid her telling me that my split ends make my hair look dead.
    I wonder if ISFps do it in their head but would be totally less likely to actually say something about it. They don't want any hurt feelings, you know. Really.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NiFe
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron
    Quote Originally Posted by maze
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    The only reason I thought Se>Si is that I've heard my ISFj brother do that, but not my ISTp husband. But that's a really weak argument for it being Se>Si, so I'm open to that idea being wrong.
    Yeah, I've heard my ISFj friend do that but not my ISFp friend. ESTj friend doesn't hold her tounge when it comes to how people can look better. I'm literally going to trim my hair before I see her for the holidays...just to avoid her telling me that my split ends make my hair look dead.
    I wonder if ISFps do it in their head but would be totally less likely to actually say something about it. They don't want any hurt feelings, you know. Really.
    lol! That's what I was thinking too! Was also wondering if judging sensors were more likely/comfortable dishing it out.

  20. #20
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maze
    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron
    Quote Originally Posted by maze
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    The only reason I thought Se>Si is that I've heard my ISFj brother do that, but not my ISTp husband. But that's a really weak argument for it being Se>Si, so I'm open to that idea being wrong.
    Yeah, I've heard my ISFj friend do that but not my ISFp friend. ESTj friend doesn't hold her tounge when it comes to how people can look better. I'm literally going to trim my hair before I see her for the holidays...just to avoid her telling me that my split ends make my hair look dead.
    I wonder if ISFps do it in their head but would be totally less likely to actually say something about it. They don't want any hurt feelings, you know. Really.
    lol! That's what I was thinking too! Was also wondering if judging sensors were more likely/comfortable dishing it out.

    ah, maze, you took the words from my mouth.. i was about to say i think i've heard comments on appearances and what could be done better bla bla might be the realm of SJs, at least this is what i've seen. and they seem like some of the most likely to actually give a shit. an SJ on some of my girl friends talking about getting agent provocateur lingerie - "how many of you have the body to pull this off?"
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maze
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    The only reason I thought Se>Si is that I've heard my ISFj brother do that, but not my ISTp husband. But that's a really weak argument for it being Se>Si, so I'm open to that idea being wrong.
    Yeah, I've heard my ISFj friend do that but not my ISFp friend. ESTj friend doesn't hold her tounge when it comes to how people can look better. I'm literally going to trim my hair before I see her for the holidays...just to avoid her telling me that my split ends make my hair look dead.
    Yeap. My ESTp friend does it all the time. Even to me.

    "You know, if you cut your hair shorter... etc."
    My ISFp friend doesn't.

    Though I'm not sure if this is truly Se related. But now that you mentioned it...
    INTp
    sx/sp

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NiFe
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    i've heard comments on appearances and what could be done better bla bla might be the realm of SJs, at least this is what i've seen. and they seem like some of the most likely to actually give a shit.
    I think I'm with you on this one. So my INTp parent telling me I should polish my look for college...was more of a warning...worried that others might not take me seriously etc. etc. Whereas my ESTj's suggestion to trim off my split ends...was more about the actual aesthetics of my appearance. Whew! I thought I was inching upon a contradiction. I think that makes sense about Sj's.

    an SJ on some of my girl friends talking about getting agent provocateur lingerie - "how many of you have the body to pull this off?"
    ahaha, a dose of reality. Fun stuff.

    Yeap. My ESTp friend does it all the time. Even to me.
    Oh noes. I said ESTj .

    I'd rule out:
    ESTp
    INFp

    right off the bat, actually.

    If you look at someone and think, if they did this, that, and that, they would look much better, is this related to Ne?

    Because if it is, I am very good at it. I derive a fair bit of satisfaction from it too. I'd be interested if it isn't though.
    Since you acknowledge that you are "very good at it" and that you "derive a fair bit of satisfaction from it" it makes me wonder if you are actually using one of those functions that our duals use that make us all giddy...when we use them. What would that be? Dual seeking? Hidden agenda? Or maybe it is a conscious function.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •