Thread: Inability to understand Kant

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Inability to understand Kant

I've been attempting to understand Kant. I can understand it when it's simplified, but in its pure form, it just flies over my head. This really frustrates me. I don't just mean it's annoying when I don't understand something or a bit upset like others might. I actually get infuriated by it; it is one of the few things that actually makes me angry. Is this Ti-related?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

forget about kant. everything bearing kant's name should be wiped off the face of the earth.

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    forget about kant. everything bearing kant's name should be wiped off the face of the earth.
    don't be soooo mean.
    Nietchzie should go with him too

Ezra, I don't know if it's indeed Ti, but you should read it with more paused time. Just because you don't understand a book or a page doesn't mean that you have to doubt about your capabilty or type.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by normal
    what little i've read of nietzsche was wonderful. nothing like the inanity and arbitrary conclusions of kant.

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha you remind me friend who said something like that.
    I didn't know I was goth after i read about nietzche... :wink:

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i mean are you infuriated because it stops you from doing what you want to do, because your classmates are getting it and you feel inferior, because you want to have it make sense, what? One of these if a repeated pattern could be type related.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    because you want to have it make sense
    This.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His sentence structure is a bit convoluted. It helps to (mentally or otherwise) replace some of his commas with periods. Break his stream of thought down into easily digestible bits. I had to read many of his sentences as 3-4 sentences, then stop, review, and digest the content.

Plus, he uses an entire page to discuss a point that could have been outlined in a single paragraph. Weeding out extraneous words (and redundant phrases) helps too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Inability To Understand

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    I've been attempting to understand Kant. I can understand it when it's simplified, but in its pure form, it just flies over my head. This really frustrates me. I don't just mean it's annoying when I don't understand something or a bit upset like others might. I actually get infuriated by it; it is one of the few things that actually makes me angry. Is this Ti-related?

Well I can't understand the idea of a cheerful soldier. Maybe you can bring me in on that philosophy.
    Lefty
    ENFJ

"I'm Sick of Old Men Dreaming Up Wars for Young Men To Die In," George McGovern.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zenbrat
    Plus, he uses an entire page to discuss a point that could have been outlined in a single paragraph. Weeding out extraneous words (and redundant phrases) helps too.
    Philosophy: explaining things in theses that can be explained in a paragraph since 1500.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty
    Well I can't understand the idea of a cheerful soldier. Maybe you can bring me in on that philosophy.
    Yep.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by normal
    what little i've read of nietzsche was wonderful. nothing like the inanity and arbitrary conclusions of kant.
    Agree on both counts. Kant's philosophy as a whole doesn't make sense, period. People far too easily assume that philosophers/writers are smarter than them - but the burden of proof is ultimately on the author.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes you have to wonder which is more pointless, "classic western philosophy" or the daily tabloids you see at the market.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really.

I'm not saying all philosophy is BS, just most of it.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither did I. My point, and what I should have said, though I cannot seem to say it nicely, is that a lot of classic western philosophy seems to be just playing around with ideas, albeit on a high level, and it never gets anywheres. Perhaps classic is not the right word. Just, the time period where so much of western thought was dominated with explanations about god, in the christian sense, and whether or not he exists, and all the arguments surrounded and engulfed in that. That is what I was comparing to tabloids.

Plato had some good stuff, even though it was slightly unrealistic at times. But then again, he got to talk about the good stuff first.

.... eh, but I am not interested or properly equipped to talk about philosophy much.

*exits*
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JTDW
    My point, and what I should have said, though I cannot seem to say it nicely, is that a lot of classic western philosophy seems to be just playing around with ideas, albeit on a high level, and it never gets anywheres.
    You think anyone who just sits and thinks "gets anywhere?" Philosophy doesn't tell us anything we don't already know or couldn't have guessed, it just helps us feel better about what we DO know.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point exactly

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just, the time period where so much of western thought was dominated with explanations about god, in the christian sense, and whether or not he exists, and all the arguments surrounded and engulfed in that. That is what I was comparing to tabloids.
    Anselm's Ontological Proof of God FTW!

Seriously though, the only thing I can think of that Kant wrote that made perfect sense to me was that the above argument was stupid as hell.

And Nietzsche would have been hilarious to hang out with, until that whole catatonia from seing a man violently beat a horse.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    My point, and what I should have said, though I cannot seem to say it nicely, is that a lot of classic western philosophy seems to be just playing around with ideas, albeit on a high level, and it never gets anywheres.
    You think anyone who just sits and thinks "gets anywhere?" Philosophy doesn't tell us anything we don't already know or couldn't have guessed, it just helps us feel better about what we DO know.
    Feel better? Much of modern science comes directly from what used to be just philosophy. Would you claim the same thing about science?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    No - people have developed rigorous systems of values and principles derived from philosophical methods, which many people aspire to or are in favour of.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read a very interesting article by Kant, but it had nothing to do with the categorical imperative.
    type #33
    but maybe LSE, and maybe E3w4(p)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    It's why you have a mana bar, not a rage bar.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Wouldn't it be rather strange if it was Ti-related, considering the fact that Kant is supposed to be an LII and his texts are examples of a typically Ti style of writing?