Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default typing from a blog entry

It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts
    - Aung San Suu Kyi.
    Freedom From Fear

Thanks to azacs for some comments on my most previous post. Regrettably there was too much rumor, and not enough facts it seems. These pictures from dvb.no are certainly factual, albeit a bit too graphic for some readers. You've been warned.

As for my own take. The Burmese are a remarkably superstitious people. The number 8 is lucky, the number 9 is unlucky. This is the reason the 8888 Uprising happened when it did. It is also the reason that the current protests turned violent on 9/27/2007 (sum the digits 9/9/9). There is probably very little that the west can or will do about the current protests. The continued financial support of China and India dwarf the effects of any sanctions from the west.

I can imagine 3 exit scenarios from here:

1. Something truely horrific is caught on video, China withdraws its support, the revolution hits a tipping point and Aung Sang Suu Kyi is the leader.

2. Monks accept that all of life is suffering, and that their sacrifices will benefit their karma. They continue to push this in ways that result in monks being killed (not dragged off to prison). Soldiers decide their karma can't handle killing any more monks, and the military lays down their weapons.

3. China continues its support, the junta stays in power, and thousands more end up in dead or tortured in Burmese prisons. On 8/8/2008 the Burmese get their best chance at democracy, and their last for at least 8 years.

For the moment I'm conflicted. I don't want to see anyone else killed in these protests, but the situation in Burma is very bad, and has been for a very long time. If we could see 1% of the daily horrors of Burma we'd be sending in troops. The current protests are likely to get more people killed, but they also the best chance for meaningful and lasting change.

Oct 6, 2007 is a planned global demonstration in support of the monks. Nothing seems to be planned for DC, but I may try to do something on my own. I could protest outside the Myanmar or Chinese Embassies, hold signs outside the Whitehouse, or ... I just don't know. It all feels so impotent.
    As I write this, I sit on a tiled balcony overhanging the river.
    Thanks to WiFi and a loaner laptop I've full net during my downtime in cambodia.
    My office is in the portable drive beside me.
    A favorite song from Portishead drifts across the empty guesthouse like smoke.
    Three kmher fisherman in a leaky boat cast a few lines then paddle beyond the trees.

One of the reasons to take this vacation was to see what projects have sustained themselves, and which need help during my remaining time. I'm thrilled to see the logs about changes to the school's website. They've been quite busy with it since I've been gone.

They are
    * using Don's camera to take photos of students
    * getting the photos onto a PC
    * used Paint to resize and crop the images
    * upload the files
    * create small personal pages
    * fix grammar, spelling, and structural problems

I can see and revise all of their work even when I am far away

The Frontline video and the online discusion is still not online as I submit this. There was a story in the Washington Post about burma along with some video. At the top of the article is a panoramic picture to help you imagine 360degrees inside one of the camps in Burma. Latest news is that the Thai government will begin to allow refugees to work. They won't be the greatest jobs, but I consider this a big step forward.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pfft i'm editing out the gigantic blog entry you just copied.

i thought XNFj of some sort. one of the "types with issues" - sort of spiritually dramatic thought. it also seemed slightly dramatic, but the whole humanitarian nature seems delta over beta. still waffling.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei