Thread: Balancing intake with output - schoolwork question

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Balancing intake with output - schoolwork question

So I am here in the library, and so much of informational intake is redundant. It gets boring. I realize I only absorb information if I actually can use it somehow - like reading some parts of some text assignments have no appeal to me because I know we are not going to use them.

I have a feeling this has to do with being ST in some way or another.

Perhaps I have done a bad job of balancing thinking and doing recently, but as of right now, it feels like I am not affecting enough things. It is like I need to execute something (as in a plan), in a physical doing sense. Just thinking for so long drains me.

Have you met people like this? What do that do? This is actually a situation where I would consider video games or something, because I can execute plans and be much more involved, than just reading things all day long and taking notes. Perhaps this is just something about myself I need to understand better so I can be more effective overall.

I also think this is related to my Ne polr, because I see nothing immediately due, so, it is hard for me to tell what I need to do right now.

PS: and if you haven't noticed I have been on this forum a lot recently, which is further indicative of this matter. At least posting is "doing something".
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually exactly the same way. I see many people that are able to "study" just reading things for hours; I think they are probably introverts?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robbing people at gun point while wearing a Hillary Clinton mask is all the rage, I highly suggest this. It's something to do. Hell, if you do it right, you can actually make a little money.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Balancing intake with output - schoolwork question -LSE

Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    I have a feeling this has to do with being ST in some way or another.
    AKA I am LSE.

I also think this is related to my Ne polr, because I see nothing immediately due, so, it is hard for me to tell what I need to do right now.
    AKA I am LSE.

PS: and if you haven't noticed I have been on this forum a lot recently, which is further indicative of this matter. At least posting is "doing something".
    AKA I am LSE.

If you want to enjoy life, enjoy it; don't get caught up in stereotypes, image-projection and labelling.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to enjoy life, enjoy it; don't get caught up in stereotypes, image-projection and labelling.
    mmm - see, I actually don't care what you or anyone thinks about my type, if that's what you are getting at. Not from light conversation on the forum. You're off base if you think I wrote this thread just to sunshine pump for being LSE

This actually is a real issue

So I am here in the library, and so much of informational intake is redundant. It gets boring. I realize I only absorb information if I actually can use it somehow - like reading some parts of some text assignments have no appeal to me because I know we are not going to use them.
    Perhaps I have done a bad job of balancing thinking and doing recently, but as of right now, it feels like I am not affecting enough things. It is like I need to execute something (as in a plan), in a physical doing sense. Just thinking for so long drains me.

If you relate to this, FDG, I remember something you said about memory, where you can just study pages. I am not saying I have the same type of memory, but there may be something to take away from that. Maybe it is something like...... very intense, but for short periods of intense learning or studying - perhaps I will try that and see how it goes. Long drawn out periods get stagnant, it seems, so perhaps if I just have shorter amounts of time where I do 100% involvement and interest, and then balance myself with doing other things or something like that, I can be more efficient.

Just a thought but I'll try it today.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, I know. I get this too. Everyone gets it. But if you pull through, you will earn a lot of money when you're older.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mother is LSE, and she eats books and articles like potato chips. She'll sit at the computer to read articles about the Red Sox or the newspaper or a book or SOMETHING for hours on end. She usually sits at her desk and alternates between doing that, paying bills and such, and work (which is also reading, on books and computers), for basically all of the time that she's home except when we eat and watch TV together at dinner.

I think what you're experiencing is called weak Se.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    do you think Courage is possibly an ENFJ?
    No. But because he's as young as I am, I have a feeling he has the same mentality in me. As patronising as I have found it in the future, at this point in our lives, we are attempting to mould ourselves. Younger people who go on these forums are uncertain of type for a reason - their personalities haven't yet been fully formed. We are still half-baked cookies. People like Rick and Expat are rock solid. They have foundations. They have facts. They have enough experience to claim what they can.

For me, I feel like I have gone through a huge mixture of feelings in the last few years. Type related I know not. I've had bursts of motivation (I'm not talking about half an hour bursts or that kind of shit, but actual day-long bursts of energy), huge phases of depressive inactivity, and long, long feelings of uncomfortableness. I have dug routine throughout my life; and yet I love impulsive buys. I am like a walking contradiction. It's because I discovered this so early on that I've realised how temperamental, moody and image-attracting I am. I want to be this, have people look at me like that; I want to act like this but I act like that; this is how I am some of the time; this is how I am at other points in time. One thing I know for sure - I am far from consistent in my inner feelings. And it has surprised me when I ask those around me what their perception of me is, and they say that I am much different than I thought I was. It's like I've been over-dramatising about myself. And these are people that would not lie to me; people I trust; people who would give an honest opinion. I expect to hear some fucked up, shitty stuff about me, and yet I get regular comments and criticism, some of which really surprise me in a good way.

What can be learned? That self-perception is so very different from others' perception. Nothing is objective. You'll always be surprised by yourself and others.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    No. But because he's as young as I am, I have a feeling he has the same mentality in me. As patronising as I have found it in the future, at this point in our lives, we are attempting to mould ourselves. Younger people who go on these forums are uncertain of type for a reason - their personalities haven't yet been fully formed. We are still half-baked cookies. People like Rick and Expat are rock solid. They have foundations. They have facts. They have enough experience to claim what they can.

For me, I feel like I have gone through a huge mixture of feelings in the last few years. Type related I know not. I've had bursts of motivation (I'm not talking about half an hour bursts or that kind of shit, but actual day-long bursts of energy), huge phases of depressive inactivity, and long, long feelings of uncomfortableness. I have dug routine throughout my life; and yet I love impulsive buys. I am like a walking contradiction. It's because I discovered this so early on that I've realised how temperamental, moody and image-attracting I am. I want to be this, have people look at me like that; I want to act like this but I act like that; this is how I am some of the time; this is how I am at other points in time. One thing I know for sure - I am far from consistent in my inner feelings. And it has surprised me when I ask those around me what their perception of me is, and they say that I am much different than I thought I was. It's like I've been over-dramatising about myself. And these are people that would not lie to me; people I trust; people who would give an honest opinion. I expect to hear some fucked up, shitty stuff about me, and yet I get regular comments and criticism, some of which really surprise me in a good way.

What can be learned? That self-perception is so very different from others' perception. Nothing is objective. You'll always be surprised by yourself and others.
    So, what I said to you when you first came is valid?

Thank you. I enjoy being affirmed like this.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minde, I have learned a lot from you. Much of it indirectly (like that you're a brilliant photographer). I like you a lot, and I have much respect for you. You've taught me patience, respect and self-control. I deeply appreciate it. If I were ever to meet someone like you, I would want to spend the rest of my life with them. You are invaluable to me.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minde, I have learned a lot from you. Much of it indirectly (like that you're a brilliant photographer). I like you a lot, and I have much respect for you. You've taught me patience, respect and self-control. I deeply appreciate it. If I were ever to meet someone like you, I would want to spend the rest of my life with them. You are invaluable to me.
    Though that's very nice of you, that's not what I meant.

I enjoy being proved right. It gives me a sense of stability.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pointless

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    My mother is LSE, and she eats books and articles like potato chips. She'll sit at the computer to read articles about the Red Sox or the newspaper or a book or SOMETHING for hours on end. She usually sits at her desk and alternates between doing that, paying bills and such, and work (which is also reading, on books and computers), for basically all of the time that she's home except when we eat and watch TV together at dinner.

You might be onto something. LSEs are extremely durable in studying. They have no problems with concentration and can absorb huge quantities of data without getting exhausted. Actually it seems to energize them. My wife is like that (although might be ESE too)

What Courage writes sounds more like me.

Quote:

Quote:

I am pretty much like that.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's pretty different, I can do that too with things that interest me.

Ezra: that assumption is kind of weak and unrealistic

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I'm actually exactly the same way. I see many people that are able to "study" just reading things for hours; I think they are probably introverts?
    You know what, I think FDG has weak Se, too. Him, XoX and myself, we must all be the same type.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What assumption?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what, I think FDG has weak Se, too. Him, XoX and myself, we must all be the same type.
    Well, I know you're being sarcastic, but XoX is probably ESE, FDG is most certainly SEE, and you are probably ESI, so no one has weak Se.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I know you're being sarcastic, but XoX is probably ESE, FDG is most certainly SEE, and you are probably ESI, so no one has weak Se.
    You might be right about the others but EJ temperament seems very unlikely for me.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why don't you, Ezra, go with Gilly and debate against yourselves. You see Se creative, he thinks Se polr.
    Guess what - at least one of you are wrong.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most certainly?Lol.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ezra, that last long post you made about youth & molding personalities, etc. was probably the most enlightening thing about you I've read and it further confirms my belief that you are definitely a Betazoid. I loathe to say this but I still see EIE from that post ... it's so glaring O___o ... if not, then LSI ... it just seems like something I would say, I could see myself writing the exact same thing.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most certainly?Lol.
    You never heard that phrase?

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    Ezra, that last long post you made about youth & molding personalities, etc. was probably the most enlightening thing about you I've read and it further confirms my belief that you are definitely a Betazoid. I loathe to say this but I still see EIE from that post ... it's so glaring O___o ... if not, then LSI ... it just seems like something I would say, I could see myself writing the exact same thing.
    Is it truly possible in your eyes that there is the large possibility that I could be either strong in Ti and Se, weak in Fe and Ni, and strong in Fe and Ni, and weak in Ti and Se?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't correcting your grammar even though I think you were being sarcastic

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you answer my question from before? You said my assumption was weak and unrealistic. I asked which assumption. You never told me.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you answer my question from before? You said my assumption was weak and unrealistic. I asked which assumption. You never told me.
    The assumption that schooling will make you "rich", basically.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That entirely defeats the purpose. If you're enjoying it, it doesn't take effort. When you need effort, that's when you need Se to focus on a task for longer than it could naturally keep you engaged.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know FDG thinks he's LIE, right? And XoX is an OBVIOUS intuitive if I've ever seen one. And you used to think you had Se PoLR. Suddenly my assessment isn't that unrealistic, now is it? Save your eye rolls for people who know less than you.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That entirely defeats the purpose. If you're enjoying it, it doesn't take effort. When you need effort, that's when you need Se to focus on a task for longer than it could naturally keep you engaged.
    Isn't Se too narrowly understood in this sense? I don't think SEEs generally have a particularly strong willpower in regard to concentration, for example. But they may have a very strong one when facing physical efforts (I know Se-creative types that have a much lower thresold of focus in regard to physical extertion, and a much higher in regard to mental concentration, for exampl). In any case, the quality of concentrating on something that doesn't interest them is more often seen in negativists imho.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm...LSIs? You think the ultimate worker bee isn't equipped for working on tasks that require lots of forced concentration?

I don't know what you've observed, but I know that this kind of thing is only really applicable to Se, maybe Si.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The assumption that schooling will make you "rich", basically.
    Oh yeah. Sorry. That was a large assumption. But working hard on that which is boring should provide an LSE with a sense of satisfaction. Courage, if you can't enjoy that, perhaps you're not Te-leading. I thought they loved absorbing information, as it was their primary way of living in the world.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm...LSIs? You think the ultimate worker bee isn't equipped for working on tasks that require lots of forced concentration?
    Again, depends heavily on the task. I know plently of LSIs that aren't hard studiers but can concentrate very well at work.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Granting that you've got a very valid point here about how we can be wrong about ourselves or in the search for our identity, even try to conform to certain images of who we might be or want to be, I would ask you not to be so quick to dismiss the kind of person someone thinks they are. Just as we can be blind about ourselves so often are we mistaken about others as well. You might say that we all should be willing to accept that we might be wrong about our type and that, to some extent, we might be tempted to overexaggerate or stress qualities which we see in ourselves (particularly if the description just seems to us so accurate), but let's not carry the lesson beyond its worth. I admit that I see echoes of myself in what you're saying, but remember that it isn't always wise to measure others purely by ourselves. In some way, I'm worrying that I'm missing what it is you have to say, but maybe this is proof that as many questions as we have in common, so too are we different (which I think is a good thing, great even). I know in other posts that you've wondered about the sometimes confusing messages that other people on this forum have sent, but know that I've seen nothing from you that has made me doubt your worth. Cease to doubt yourself, but never stop asking questions and be honest, even if it hurts. Sometimes I wonder if the way I write interferes with the message I'm trying to say, but bear in mind that you are worth knowing, just as so many others are. I trust in your judgement. We all seek for who it is we are.

Additionally, for what it's worth, I've also seen no cause to doubt Courage's self-assessment.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

munenori, cheers, but I think you've misinterpreted me. My self-esteem is quite sufficient.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah. Sorry. That was a large assumption. But working hard on that which is boring should provide an LSE with a sense of satisfaction. Courage, if you can't enjoy that, perhaps you're not Te-leading. I thought they loved absorbing information, as it was their primary way of living in the world.
    Mhm

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

munenori, cheers, but I think you've misinterpreted me. My self-esteem is quite sufficient.
    Misinterpretations abound. Cheers backatcha.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mhm
    Apologies, that was bullshit. What I meant was not that Te leadings like boring stuff, but that they don't get bored by hgue amounts of impersonal information. For example, an LSE lawyer is a lawyer because they have been through that stage of reading so much fucking statute and legislature. So when you say you are bored by what you're studying, I take this to mean that you don't actually enjoy absorbing information concerning the course or subject that you're interested in (otherwise you probably wouldn't be doing said course/subject). Also, I thought EJs were supermen when it came to working on something, especially LSEs. That's why I find it hard to see you as an LSE. It appears to me like a kind of forceful image, as if I were trying to be an LSE. Basically, an LSE is told to do something, and they do it, no questions asked. They don't express an opinion. They just do it.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mhm
    Apologies, that was bullshit. What I meant was not that Te leadings like boring stuff, but that they don't get bored by hgue amounts of impersonal information. For example, an LSE lawyer is a lawyer because they have been through that stage of reading so much fucking statute and legislature.
    So when you say you are bored by what you're studying, I take this to mean that you don't actually enjoy absorbing information concerning the course or subject that you're interested in (otherwise you probably wouldn't be doing said course/subject).
    You "take it to mean"..... etc.
    That is correct; You are not really asking me what I mean, just gong off of your own assumptions and your own interpretation. If you are going to extrapolate things, go ahead. Your extrapolation is not bad. But you are not checking to see if it really lines up with me.

Also, I thought EJs were supermen when it came to working on something, especially LSEs. That's why I find it hard to see you as an LSE.
    Ok, then I must not be LSE - because according to you, I am not a superman when it comes to working on something.
    -- going back to what I said above, about your extrapolation not matching up with reality, you either did not care enough to ask or are ignorant about the setting of the situation. You perhaps think I am just going about my normal everyday routine as I write this, when in fact, I wrote this because it was a deviation from the norm. You find it hard to see me as an LSE, yet you base this find off of a statement I made about something that is not the usual case for me. So you do the math.

It appears to me like a kind of forceful image, as if I were trying to be an LSE.
    The problem with that sort of remark is that it does not prove anything - you are just saying I sound like I'm trying to convince everyone about my type by talking about it so much. What you do not understand is that I am not actually trying to convince anyone - that is just how you are interpreting it. It is just superficial. Say it all you want but don't suppose that it really has any meaning. And right now, me writing this, it is just a matter of whether or not you trust me enough to be honest - does Courage want to put on an air of some type for the whole forum, or does he really want to be truthful about his own type? I am not going to try to convince you either way. That being said, if you really don't know that about someone, you probably don't know him well enough to type the person accurately.

Basically, an LSE is told to do something, and they do it, no questions asked. They don't express an opinion. They just do it.
    Oh, well then I am not LSE at all - that seals it.

For the record I am not proving I am LSE by writing this - I am just pointing out things that are off base.
    Quite frankly I am not saying I am any type at this time. That does not mean that I do not see myself as a certain type, however.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mhm
    Apologies, that was bullshit. What I meant was not that Te leadings like boring stuff, but that they don't get bored by hgue amounts of impersonal information. For example, an LSE lawyer is a lawyer because they have been through that stage of reading so much fucking statute and legislature. So when you say you are bored by what you're studying, I take this to mean that you don't actually enjoy absorbing information concerning the course or subject that you're interested in (otherwise you probably wouldn't be doing said course/subject). Also, I thought EJs were supermen when it came to working on something, especially LSEs. That's why I find it hard to see you as an LSE. It appears to me like a kind of forceful image, as if I were trying to be an LSE. Basically, an LSE is told to do something, and they do it, no questions asked. They don't express an opinion. They just do it.
    You have to differentiate between working and studying though, given that the former is active whereas the latter is passive.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mhm
    You have to differentiate between working and studying though, given that the former is active whereas the latter is passive.
    Studying should never be passive. That's what they teach in school, in college, and in university. Active learning increases the chances of success. Which is why all these new materials that we have now that we didn't decades ago are so invaluable. Instead of attempting to absorb information, you categorise it. Instead of doing algebra, you put it in a real life situation when you might actually need it. What is the point of theory? There isn't one. We should teach so that people are useful and productive individuals who can better help society (while retaining their freedom to do as they please). Who are you going to get more out of: someone who you sit in a library 24/7 for a year reading law, or someone who you throw right into the courtroom to learn firsthand? The latter. Practical, hands-on experience (from my own experience) always leads to better prepared individuals.