Thread: So now that you know socionics - impact relationships?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So now that you know socionics - impact relationships?

This was on another forum, but I'll bring it up here too:

Now that you know socionics, does it impact your relationship decisions?
    How much so?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

somewhat, actually. i can't just act like i don't know i'm going to have issues with x person.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's definitely helped me understand people in general a lot more and explained issues I might have had with personal relations in the past and present. I remember when I finally figured my ex must have been INFj, suddenly the whole relations of benefit thing seemed to make perfect sense for that particular relationship. I've also learned to notice ESFps better and actually realise that I do seem to get on with them better than any other type (in general that is, obviously it's not always the case). I think it's also helped me learn to avoid certain things when interacting with certain types, although I can't think of any examples right now. But by knowing what other types do and don't value, and for what reasons, it can help in avoiding conflict with those types (although saying that, on the odd occasion it frustrates me that it's always me that has to adapt to the other person just to avoid conflict, but meh).
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There have been some positive impacts, and some negative ones. I know what I should and can provide to different people and thus I'm able to help them more effectively, but it also has made me much less accepting of some type's negative traits, that before were ascribed just to "human nature", whereas now they are counted as personal.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not very much because I'm a Socionics dunderhead.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it doesn't impact your relationships or choices then you are probably pretty ignorant or you haven't understood/experienced Socionics.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's nothing you learn from socionics that can't be substituted by instinct and intuition, IMO... Personally this is how I see socionics: a way of putting formal terms to those things we tend to notice about people anyway.

So as far as practical understanding of relations goes: no real differences.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat
    There's nothing you learn from socionics that can't be substituted by instinct and intuition, IMO... Personally this is how I see socionics: a way of putting formal terms to those things we tend to notice about people anyway.

I agree. Socionics gives you a convenient vocabulary to work with, but it's all stuff I've always picked up on naturally. I wouldn't say "Conflictor" in my head, but would know pretty soon if things weren't comfortable.

I think, however, Socionics has made me generally more tolerant of other people with differing values, though. "To thine own self be true" but also let others to themselves be true.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For myself, I like understanding why things don't work out, so providing that framework of why, for example, I am Fi>Fe, or at least how that relates to my overall nature, helps me be more confident in actual interpersonal decisions.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could not have put it better myself.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't agree with labcoat.

as an example, if you met someone of which you know he/she is your conflictor, you would not start a longterm relationship with him/her (if your smart)

So socionics gives you an advantage with this, it isn't something that your intuition would have known, because those conflicts start when the relationship is already a couple of months or maybe years old.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think Socionics is an acceptable alternative to witchcraft in the way it gives me knowledge on how to control and manipulate people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    I think Socionics is an acceptable alternative to witchcraft in the way it gives me knowledge on how to control and manipulate people.
    hocus pocus

i used to try to figure out people according to their type and then realised that it was a futile idea. people are just more than 8 functions. i just go with the flow. the more experience i get out of life the better i feel. i like the theory only in the way it helps me understand myself better.
    IEI - the nasty kind...