Thread: What Motivates Each Type Care For Their Health & Fitness?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What Motivates Each Type Care For Their Health & Fitness

Which are those types that care most about their bodily and mental health? Which function(s) is it related to?

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One would think Si-types would be the most conscientious about their health, but I've found the rational Si-dominants tend towards overwork (more focused on looking after others than themselves) and the irrational Si-dominants tend towards a sedentary lifestyle (more focused on relaxing and enjoying food that they enjoy over exercising and health-foods). IME, it's actually Se-PoLR types (INXj) that look after their health the best. I'll be damned if I know why this is. Irrational Se-dominants tend to be concerned with their health, but often don't have much awareness of it; they'll eat a poor diet (ESXps tend to be attracted to foods that are high in energy but low in nutrition - like greasy, salty, sugary stuff) and overextend themselves at the gym to burn that energy off. Actually, ISXjs do a very decent job of looking after themselves, most of the time.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    One would think Si-types would be the most conscientious about their health, but I've found the rational Si-dominants tend towards overwork (more focused on looking after others than themselves) and the irrational Si-dominants tend towards a sedentary lifestyle (more focused on relaxing and enjoying food that they enjoy over exercising and health-foods). IME, it's actually Se-PoLR types (INXj) that look after their health the best. I'll be damned if I know why this is.
    Si HA?

the problem though, is that they may be more conscientious of their health, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they make healthy choices. For example, taking a bunch of pills when if they'd just reduce certain types of food from their diet and be more active, half of those pills wouldn't be needed.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Si HA?

the problem though, is that they may be more conscientious of their health, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they make healthy choices. For example, taking a bunch of pills when if they'd just reduce certain types of food from their diet and be more active, half of those pills wouldn't be needed.
    I haven't noticed this sort of thing with anyone but ESXps, actually. Do Si-HA types do that as well?
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si HA?

I haven't noticed this sort of thing with anyone but ESXps, actually. Do Si-HA types do that as well?
    An example: My mother (infj) was a nurse for years. She's really great about taking care of other people (took care of her mother-in-law from stroke to death...and is now taking care of her husband through alzheimer's) but really sucks at taking care of herself. Due to the stresses of what she does, she winds up grabbing sodas for her caffeine and sugared energy and pops a bunch of pills to take care of other health related problems. She's also fairly quick to turn to quick fixes for herself, but not so quick for that when it comes to other people's health.

The thing is, she does what she does because she believes that these things help her health (except for the sodas). Over the long term the pills may do more damage than good and thus not truly healthy choices. But at the moment she decides to take them, she believes it's good/better for her health than not.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, my LII friend is big on supplements and energy formulas and shit like that. I have noticed that some SLEs are big on stuff like energy drinks and energy pills and energy everything...

Overall though, most health-conscious type, probably LSE. I would say SLI, but I feel like Si-preferring irrationals tend to highlight the more hedonistic aspects of Si rather than the health-oriented parts.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si HA?

An example: My mother (infj) was a nurse for years. She's really great about taking care of other people (took care of her mother-in-law from stroke to death...and is now taking care of her husband through alzheimer's) but really sucks at taking care of herself. Due to the stresses of what she does, she winds up grabbing sodas for her caffeine and sugared energy and pops a bunch of pills to take care of other health related problems. She's also fairly quick to turn to quick fixes for herself, but not so quick for that when it comes to other people's health.

The thing is, she does what she does because she believes that these things help her health (except for the sodas). Over the long term the pills may do more damage than good and thus not truly healthy choices. But at the moment she decides to take them, she believes it's good/better for her health than not.
    I've had IJ girlfriends that tended to behave like that in order to stand the stress of work/school/etc: I had to use strong means (like, getting very angry at them) to make them change the behavior for the better.

Anyway, I'm pretty health conscious in terms of food, except for the fact that I tend to overextend myself from time to time and deplete my energy reserves.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty health conscious, fit, and have a pretty good diet, fwiw.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    I feel like Si-preferring irrationals tend to highlight the more hedonistic aspects of Si rather than the health-oriented parts.
    Unless said hedonism involves working-out or exercising.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh* is it just me? I'd rather see questions like:
    • what would motivate [a type] to [an action]? or
      how would [a type] do [an action]?

for example, "What would motivate an enfp to pursue health and fitness?" or "How would an enfp pursue health and fitness?"
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, actually, that's better.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much better, thank you Ezra!

As for my ideas on ENFp and motivation for health/fitness:

I think an enfp would fall under the hedonism aspects, so doing activities that they enjoy even if it's not "formal exercising" would be better for them. (some of them could, of course, LIKE formal exercising) Some of the one's I've known have enjoyed activities that they can show off somehow. One male enfp I know likes taekwondo, he sucks at crisp movements and power, etc, but his enthusiasm shows through. One female enfp I know likes the feeling of power when she uses weight machines. In other areas of her life she doesn't succeed so well at being firm, but there's something about the temporary show to herself that she DOES have power to exert if she chose to. Myself, I like game type activities (not formal sports), social fun activities (like dancing at a club), and things where I can challenge myself just to see if I can do it. Recently we put up a bar in one of our walkways that can be adjusted in height and then wound up putting it at the highest point and adding two small rope ladder type things to it so that it can be used for climbing up to the ceiling, pull ups, chin ups, modified push ups, and various leg movements. I've always loved obstacle courses so in the summer times I set up mini ones in my yard. I also recently picked up hula hooping (with adult sized hoops) and look forward to nice weather when I can get outside to practice various tricks with. When I regain some form of fitness and reduce some of my weight, I'll pick up jumping rope again and the tricks involved with that. I'd recommend activities that are short bursted and where one can see noticable improvement without having to track time, distance, etc.

Healthy eating might be more of a problem for enfps, in which case having a bit of knowledge of nutrition can help. I'd recommend for an enfp to pick one nutritional habit that has far reaching effects and focus on that for a while, and gradually adding on another, and then another, and so on. This way, when they do their typical getting distracted and setting aside the health pursuit to pursue something else, they can fairly easily pick up the stronger habits they had incorporated and begin the newer ones more quickly. The whole 2 steps forward 1 step back thing.

I think that one of the things that enfps need to beware of is their tendency to just accept information they've been given without thinking about it. An enfp is easily susceptible to falling into the latest craze and accepting false "facts/truths". Also, the tendency to find a quick fix can easily be engrained into them...leading to problems with long term solutions. The diet/fitness industry is full of these kinds of things that an enfp can easily fall prey to.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I exercise because it makes me more relaxed and feels good, other than to keep myself in condition for biking (during the winter), and trying to avoid getting the upper body deconditioned due to excessive aerobic exercise (when I bike a lot).

Dancing is another whole matter, and it's done exclusive out of pleasure, even if both the metabolic and athletic effects are a pleasing side-effect.

As far as eating habits go, good eating habits are a great mood improver. They make concentration far easier and thus free time that would otherwise be dedicated to working (due to lack of mental power due to poor concentration) or studying, time that can be allocated to more pleasurable activities - being that exercise is among them, there is actually a positive feedback mechanism between the two activities. The bad side of my attention to diet is that my body has grown to be so accustomed to it that when I am forced to switch to a less-than-ideal state for a period of time of more than 2 days, my health deteriorates rapidly in comparison to how it was before.

Although being the Etype 7 that I am, everything I say above isn't always fulfilled, I fall victim quite easily of sweets temptation in terms of food. But hey, we live only once, so who cares.

During years I have accumulate a quite good knowledge about nutrition, though, I can say it has helped me in many areas of life (especially sports).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Health in all forms, particularly in its relation to growth and development, has always been a fascination of mine. Health is related to growth, or at least proper growth.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I kind of view it as, I know I won't like doing it but I'll feel like accomplished after it's over with. Like "God now that annoying, un-fun and BORING as hell" but now that it's out of the way I can relax. I like to work out with other people too. I will never exercise alone. For one thing I will not be motivated enough and will do really crappy.

I used to work out more a bit for purely sexual reasons. But then I was like, this is stupid! I like people the most sexually depending on their energy and what's inside, not their body!

You just have to do the bare minimum to get bye. Going on a walk just twice a week will do it, as long as you're not too horrendously obese I don't care. You just can't be so fat you lose all your sex appeal. Ewwwww.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I kind of wish I was bionic.
    that is so funny!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    I'd love to be able to fight like Batman.
    (I'm Batman)
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    I'd love to be able to fight like Batman.
    (I'm Batman)
    Waaait a second. I thought you were Superman.

(Speaking of which, I just now watched that new(ish) movie about him. I'm for cloning if it means we can start with him.)
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superman?

Hm..... if people need me to be, I can.
    (!)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love taking care of my body because it makes me feel like i can manipulate my outer world better, knowing I can travel through it without getting tired or manipulate myself so I can't fall.

That and it just makes me feel great.

And then you get the sugar, then you get de powa, then you get ze women.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't focus much on my health... I just diet to maintain my weight only for appearance reasons. Being fat sucks.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh* is it just me? I'd rather see questions like:
    • what would motivate [a type] to [an action]? or
      how would [a type] do [an action]?

for example, "What would motivate an enfp to pursue health and fitness?" or "How would an enfp pursue health and fitness?"
    I've never put much stock in the whole 'working out feels awesome' aspect of things, though that attitude has kind of ironed itself out as I've gotten older. I mean, try working as a package loader for UPS for a year and that will change your perspective on a lot of things, mostly along the lines of 'get me the hell outta here'! I'm kidding, it wasn't that bad. Well, it was, but I enjoyed the team element enough that it sort of held things together (Lenexa, Kansas Purple belt represent)! I wasn't just working for myself or the faceless company, but for the people around me who would totally get screwed if I wasn't up to snuff. I only worked there about 8 months, but, man, I must have lost 40-50 lbs in that time. In that respect, I did start to feel a whole lot better about myself, but it wasn't ever really my motivation.

Still, it's never gotten to the point where the experience of working out has been worth doing just for the feel of it. My motivation has always tended to the more abstract, like I want to be in good shape because I'm looking for a relationship and that will grease the wheels so to speak, especially since it tends to take a while to get to know me. Also, I enjoy the feeling of being fit enough so that I can help other people in a physical way, being able to pick up the slack when others are weak or hurting, 'taking the bullet' and that kind of thing. Being in a position like that is, for me, a wonderful feeling, provided that my efforts aren't being abused or taken advantage of. So, I guess my motivations for health and fitness typically have more to do with other people than myself.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now I go to college full time and work more than full time. I'm really under a lot of stress and I don't have the time to take good care of myself. If I go to the gym or otherwise work out like I'm required to (it comes with the job) I'm too tired to study that night. I used to have a lot of energy drinks so I could stay awake, but I decided that wasn't a good idea because they were too expensive, so I bought some caffeine pills, but I think I react badly to caffeine so I can't take more than 100mg at a time, but I still decided those were bad. Now I'm trying these herbal metabolism enhancers for working out and they work wonders. I take half the recommended dose and I'm perky for most of the day. The great thing about these energy boosters is that I don't need to take very much because I'm a lightweight.

When I do have time to work out though, I'm afraid to push myself. I'm assuming it's part of the HA. I hate running too hard or lifting too much weight because I'm always trying to save my energy for something later.

I'm a pretty scrawny guy, I'm 5'7" and weigh about 140 lbs., but I'm fairly physically fit. When summer starts, I usually spend a lot of time at the gym, even though I probably don't work out to the best of my ability. Running is much easier for me than lifting because it's less strain over a long period of time. My problem is that I never quite push myself hard enough.

I've been sitting on my ass for the last month or two and I was called up for a military fitness test. I did pretty damn well for the amount of time I've been doing nothing, which leads me to believe that had I been training more recently, I would have blown the test away, rather than satisfactorily pass it, even though that was my best score on the test ever. It might actually be those diet pills.

Really though, I'm always looking for ways to eat better and I do my best to incorporate healthy changes in diet. I don't eat candy and rarely drink soda, I was a vegetarian for a while, but had to give it up because I couldn't to sustain it because I really wasn't able to put the time into eating healthfully as one and I couldn't think straight and I was just really bad at being a vegetarian.
    INTj

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I (try to) take care of my body because I want to be sexy and cute, and I don't want to be one of the fat chicks. I think of myself is the same way as people have reacted to me and if people think I'm fat, I'll look bad, but if people think I'm cute, I'll act very adorable. It would be great to switch that around - act adorable so that people will think I'm cute - but I'm unable to do that so I have to diet and exercise. so yeah, I don't really think about my health because being healthy won't prevent any of the serious illnesses so taking care of my health seems so pointless, I just want to fall under the good / category (avoid category "fat person").
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

think i mostly agree with thunder and jessica on this. most of my reasons would be nearly completely vanity-based. it's something i swing back and forth on. either i barely notice it, or it's in my face. the physical aspect of exercising is not a bad motivator, either.

generally, the first thing people notice about me is that a) i smoke too much and b) i do horribly unhealthy things to my body. like drinking tons of caffeine. i figure this is better than ritalin or adderall, but coffee & cigarettes do seem to help me focus.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how cigarettes are better than ritalin or adderall.
    they're not. in my particular case, there's less of a chance of losing your whole sense of self, though, when smoking a cigarette, as opposed to taking adderall.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave up on the gym. It's annoying.

I'm cutting out cardio because it's boring as fuck.

Yoga, Tai Chi are in!

It's the way to go, this will work out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    The problem I have is that when I am forced to do solitary excercise, my mind just starts leaping around really quickly to boring things which I don't give a shit about. I find that I have to have people around, or a lot of changing scenery. I'm totally into doing things where excercise is a side effect of the activity (such as going on long walks or jogs through the woods or up mountains). I don't really like forcing myself to excercise just to excercise, when I could be enjoying something else much more fun.
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yesssss. Outdoor work outs are the best kind. Kayaking, canoeing, rowing, swimming etc are probably my favorites, anything to do with water. Except maybe deep sea diving...okay I'll try that but only in a big group of experienced divers! I get freaked about doing things I've never done before, especially something that intense. SO MANY THINGS CAN HAPPEN BUT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL AHHH.

I don't like forcing myself to excercise either, which is why I've started despising the very exisitance of the gym. *big fat yawn*
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the moment my main draw for doing physical things is to incorporate it into my own training, my own self discipline. And also the peace that goes along with it. Really, the health benefits are secondary, but that is because I am young and healthy right now.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Motivates Each Type Care For Their Health & Fitness?
    How can I make money and travel freely and not have to worry about my physical state/limitations if I'm not reasonably fit and healthy?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I eat healthy because I feel physically terrible if I don't. Last week during midterms I fell apart. I ate 8 cookies in a day! I can't even describe how bad I felt later.

I do yoga because it keeps my body feeling good.

I run five times a week because I have an extreme fear of gaining weight.

and I rock climb because it's fun.
    EII

I'll tell you what
    there is plenty wrong with me
    but I fixed up a few old buildings
    and I've planted a few trees.