Thread: Are certain types prone to learn certain languages?

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are certain types prone to learn certain languages?

I've noticed that beta ST's are usually interested in learning German and alpha SF's in French. Any comments?
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/restraint

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm minoring in German, been learning it for 6-7 years.
    INTp, ILI Logical subtype

Drum 'n' Bass head

GorillaSound.net

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not think that it is a case of what languages they learn, but the decision making process of why they selected them.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Being good at French aids oral sex skills.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    /restraint
    lol

why does everyone think alpha SFs like french? the france-is-an-ESFj-country thing? this is the most retarded shit ever and i've heard it a few times on this forum. i'm inclined to agree with logos that the decision making process by which they picked whatever 2nd language is more important than the language they picked itself.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    I do not think that it is a case of what languages they learn, but the decision making process of why they selected them.
    Yeah, I really don't think type determines what type of language you learn...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIOS MIO NO ME GUSTA

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for spanish humor in incredibly poor taste!
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if anyone ever figures out a good NeFi language, let me know
    As a child i was really into the vikings and such and so wanted to learn danish then that turned into a combination of icelandic, anglo-saxon, old english, norweigian, swedish, and possible finnish. (after I realized that danish wasn't the right one for what i wanted, i didn't know where to turn to..lol)

i grew up with a mexican/spanish speaking step mother and took about 6 years of spanish in school....i could never speak it, and can barely remember enough to read it anymore. But italian always looked more interesting to me than spanish

my brother introduced me to japanese, and it looks interesting, and i've got some books for learning it...but..well...i can't seem to stay motivated.

richard wants to spruce up his german (he was stationed in germany for a couple of years), but german doesn't do anything for me.

my sister used to attempt to show off her french she was taking in school...enough so that i learned to hate french so that's out of the question

I even attempted sign language...unfortunately there's the expectations/demands to use various emotional/physical expressions that feel extremely forced and fake to me. I understand the reasons for it...but i'm just not into that for myself

all in all, i admire second language learners a great deal!!! i mean seriously, it's an awesome skill imo....
    but when it comes to me learning a second language, it's like there's this block.
    which isn't helped by my issues with vocabulary even in my native language
    nor by the lack of people to practice the second language with
    nor by what seems to be a total lack of motivation on my part
    other than the wow-ness factor

(all i really would like to be able to do is read a second language, not really write/speak)
    (but read about what??? i have no idea!)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    /restraint

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Are certain types prone to learn certain languages?

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater
    I've noticed that beta ST's are usually interested in learning German and alpha SF's in French. Any comments?
    Hmm, not sure where this will take us. Some people might be motivated to learn new languages depending on how useful they are, which hinges greatly on where they are and what it is they intend to do. I'm not one of those people really (I do learn languages to use them!) as I guess I always saw it as opening doors to the world that would otherwise remain closed forever. I was always far more interested in being able to understand other people than becoming a confident speaker, though in many ways I think that is a reason why I always found languages to be so fascinating. In terms of the languages I've studied though, I've taken a couple years each of Japanese and Spanish in college. I never made any very close acquaintances with other speakers, so I've kind of regressed. My goal in life is to learn a few more languages, if I can. The Romance languages seem very clear and easy to me (I'd like to pick up French, Italian, or Portuguese), although I wouldn't mind something further removed either like German (which shares more in common linguistically with English than you would think!), but more like Chinese, Arabic, or Hindi.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh? I could see wondering if language would make someone more interested in learning languages in general, but choosing one language over another? I am pretty sure that would be determined by what country someone lived in, if American what nation their ancestors came from, where they live regionally maybe, what languages are frequently spoken where they are, whether they have traveled overseas and where, that kind of thing.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like fictitious languages like Quenya, but I am too lazy to bother. I wanted to take Latin in high school but is was not offered. I forgot most of the Spanish I learned...

But anyway, I just don't think it's type related.