Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Non-Gory (But Good) Horror Films

Being around Halloween-time, I'm looking for some horror movies to rent minus the blood (friends are squeamish). So far, my list is: Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original - most of the gore is off-camera), Night of the Living Dead, Psycho, and Nosferatu. I'm looking for three more to fill out the week. Anyone have any leads?
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh how rare they are.

Scream, 28 Days Later... and Dog Soldiers are the three good horror films I know of. The first is blackly comical, so that doesn't really count. The other two are thrillers with horror elements. Saw just about passes in quality.

Horror is a poor genre. It can never get anything right. Either too much gore or too little plot or something else.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably gory, but I just saw it in a bookstore yesterday, and really want to watch it now:

Black Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dawn of the Dead
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Play Zombies Ate My Neighbors on super nintendo and watch Shawn of the Dead and Little Monsters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Kids halloween movies are the best.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't consider Psycho a horror movie. anyway, The Exorcist, The Omen, The Others, The Exorcism of Emily Rose (reportedly a true story), An American Werewolf in London (some blood but not that much), Evil Dead, Them (reportedly a true story), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (you might want to rent the 1978 version), Session 9, The Serpent and The Rainbow...

Evil Dead might be too much if your friends are squeamish. a movie doesn't have to show blood to be scary. the horror genre is really taken for granted at times. but it takes a true master (Argento, Friedkin, Raimis, Craven) to pull off the anticipaton, surprise and transgresion that comes across the screen. The best horror movie ever (The Exorcist) shows little or no blood.

Horror is a poor genre. It can never get anything right. Either too much gore or too little plot or something else.
    what do you know?
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Shining is a good one, as is The Omen..I was never a fan of The Exorcist..didn't find it scary at all, couldn't stop laughing at the fact people actually find it scary.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baby, unless your friends are older (previous generation or even older), go with little red riding hood's suggestions. There's nothing worse than actually deliberately renting and watching a movie that should have been put down for bad behavior decades ago.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    The Shining is a good one, as is The Omen..I was never a fan of The Exorcist..didn't find it scary at all, couldn't stop laughing at the fact people actually find it scary.
    funny you should say that. btw, in The Shining, there's that famous scene where a river of blood floods the corridors of the hotel.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's possible to find a horror movie without at least one scene with blood. The only horror movie that really kinda messed with my head was Hostel. Not a movie to watch if you're not into the gory thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    I don't think it's possible to find a horror movie without at least one scene with blood. The only horror movie that really kinda messed with my head was Hostel. Not a movie to watch if you're not into the gory thing.
    almost all the movies i mentioned have no blood in them.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my sister accidentally saw the exorcist when she was about 5yo. Had nightmares for about a year. After that non of us was allowed to watch horror movies until we were in late teens.

I got nightmares from "Ringu" (and Ringu 2 and The Ring and The Ring 2). I'm not sure if it qualifies as gory, but there's no blood. :wink:
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    my sister accidentally saw the exorcist when she was about 5yo. Had nightmares for about a year. After that non of us was allowed to watch horror movies until we were in late teens.

I got nightmares from "Ringu" (and Ringu 2 and The Ring and The Ring 2). I'm not sure if it qualifies as gory, but there's no blood. :wink:
    i got nightmares from watching Pet Cemetary when i was 12. i saw it again a few years afterwards and found it ridiculously unscary. then again, i was terrified yet fascinated with witches when i was a child.

i didn't get nightmares from this movie, but The Exorcism of Emily Rose kept me up for about a week. i dunno if anyone of you has seen it but i often wake up around 3 in the morning to relieve my bladder. talk about eerie. i guess even Satan gets thirsty sometimes.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I might replace Psycho with Addams Family Values. I love that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    I think it's a difficult genre to pull off. The crux of horror is to take very real fears that we have and blow them up about a hundred-fold; things like: fear of being left alone, fear of being trapped, fear of betrayal, fear of losing someone (both psychologically and physically), fear of being singled out, etc. that are manifest in everyday horrors (racism, murder, dementia, etc.) are the bread and butter of the horror-writer.

This is actually my favorite genre. That said, I have eccentric taste in horror films. My favorites are Tod Browning's Freaks, Tobe Hooper's movies (esp. TCM and The Funhouse - I'm a total sucker for late-70s, early-80s teenage slasher flicks), George A. Romero's movies, Murnau's Nosferatu, Robert Wise's The Haunting, and the original Carrie.

I don't really find The Exorcist frightening. In fact, just the opposite, I can't sit through it without cracking up. I can't take an oatmeal faced prepubscent with the voice of Ian McKellan, the mouth of a sailor, and a huge case of nausea with a straight face. The book, on the other hand, is insane. I haven't seen the Emily Rose film; I heard it was good. Also Evil Dead, as I remember it, is more of a dark comedy, really. The gore is so ridiculous that it's funny? I remember like An American Werewolf in Londond (there was also a crappy movie called An American Werewolf in Paris that was just pure utter suck) and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I haven't seen Halloween or Peeping Tom mentioned, but I like those.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocky Horror Picture Show?
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion
    Rocky Horror Picture Show?
    Yes! And Beetlejuice!

I cannot watch Freaks ever again...
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Creepy-bg

I love Beetlejuice (I even watched the cartoon )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby/Elro
    I don't really find The Exorcist frightening. In fact, just the opposite, I can't sit through it without cracking up. I can't take an oatmeal faced prepubscent with the voice of Ian McKellan, the mouth of a sailor, and a huge case of nausea with a straight face.
    BLASPHEMY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elro/Baby
    Also Evil Dead, as I remember it, is more of a dark comedy, really.
    Army of Darkness (Evil Dead III) is a dark comedy. i dare you to watch the first one alone in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    I love Beetlejuice (I even watched the cartoon )
    BLASPHEMY!!!
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, guys, you're not really saying Beetlejuice is horror, right? Being raised Christian, I find all satan-topic somewhat eerie or insanely scary, but I always thought Beetlejuice is a family movie.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beetlejuice is, quite possibly, my favorite film ever.

My boyfriend and I actually walk down the street singing "come Mister tally man tally me banana" quite frequently.

(Which is why we have been banished from our home countries.)

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    Hey, guys, you're not really saying Beetlejuice is horror, right? Being raised Christian, I find all satan-topic somewhat eerie or insanely scary, but I always thought Beetlejuice is a family movie.
    I was scared shitless by Constantine even though some people seem to think it's nothing special. heh

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Non-Gory (But Good) Horror Films

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Night of the Living Dead
    How is that one non-gory ?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Picture of Dorian Gray. Very, very creepy. I actually found the movie to work better than the book as a horror piece.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beetlejuice is awesome!

as for horror...what about the Saw series? or too gory?

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by little red riding hood
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby/Elro
    I don't really find The Exorcist frightening. In fact, just the opposite, I can't sit through it without cracking up. I can't take an oatmeal faced prepubscent with the voice of Ian McKellan, the mouth of a sailor, and a huge case of nausea with a straight face.
    BLASPHEMY!!!
    The film didn't really capture the pervasive sense of spiritual doubt that the book did. "The power of Christ compels you!" *hurl* "The power of Christ compels you!" *hurl* "The power of Christ compels you! *hurl*

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    How is that one non-gory
    It's comparatively tame. You never really see any explicit acts of violence play out. The worst scene was when the girl stabs her mother to death, which is relatively tolerable compared to the bloodfest of most of the stuff that's out today.

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    The Picture of Dorian Gray. Very, very creepy. I actually found the movie to work better than the book as a horror piece.
    Yeah, both the 40s version and the 70s version are pretty good. The book itself was pretty stagey so it lent itself to film really well.

And I love Beetlejuice. (Saw is too gory, methinks. I did kind of like Hostel, though.)

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know they made a 70s version.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any of the Saw movies can be watched by those looking for a relatively gore-free cinematic experience. There's hardly any blood or guts to speak of.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it was made by the BBC, and I think it was one of those Masterpiece Theatre things. I think it might be on DVD. I found it at the library.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any of the Saw movies can be watched by those looking for a relatively gore-free cinematic experience. There's hardly any blood or guts to speak of.
    Ah, okay. I'll have to check it out. The synopsis sounded a little bloody, so I thought it would be too much but I have to see it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro
    This is probably gory, but I just saw it in a bookstore yesterday, and really want to watch it now:

Black Sheep

I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD. It didn't really attract me, but it it came to it, I'd probably watch at the cinema it anyway.

This isn't gory, and it's funnier than Scream:

Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    Your mother sucks cocks in hell!

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Sheep sucked. The "evil" sheep were just normal sheep filmed at weird angles, and the sheep attacks took place in the form of bad actors flailing about wildly as they pretend that the lifeless puppet they're clinging onto is somehow attacking them. I guess such cheapness would make the movie more enjoyable for some people, but I was expecting something more along the lines of Shaun of the Dead, that was actually scary in addition to being funny.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, okay. I'll have to check it out. The synopsis sounded a little bloody, so I thought it would be too much but I have to see it.

Lies! There is lots of blood and disturbing images
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. Is it good anyway?

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. Is it good anyway?
    I was laughing so hard when I saw your initial response. Leave it to Kelly to spoil anything good in life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which reminds me, a group of pretty amazing directors has filmed the fairytales of Oscar Wilde, might be worth giving those a look.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm completely clueless about most recent movies. I usually only go maybe once or twice a year.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah a lot of new movies look like they suck.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm completely clueless about most recent movies. I usually only go maybe once or twice a year.

We go just about every day.

Horror movies? Hasn't been a good one in about a century.

HOWEVER.

I just remembered the Polanski film Fearless Vampire Killers is a riot. Watch that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast