Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Interdependency of functions: Why?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Interdependency of functions: Why?

    Why does depend on , and vice versa?
    Why does depend on , and vice versa?
    Why does depend on , and vice versa?
    Why does depend on , and vice versa?




    Is there any information on the web explaining why these functions are interdependant on each other?






  2. #2
    six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    DC area, US
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I dunno, but it just sorta makes sense. If my prime mode is then I prefer Thinking/Logic over Feeling/Ethics, and Extroversion over Introversion. Therefore my weakest would be the opposite judging (or sensing) function both in terms of the function and its direction (E vs I). So for me that would be which is where my dependency is.

    It's just like an automobile engine, where if an engineer tunes it for best performance at high RPM, its performance will probably suck at low RPM, and vice versa. Or take your typical airliner with a high speed high altitude wing design. Great for long flights at high altitude, but the efficiency of the wing flat out sucks at low speeds and altitudes. A Boeing 777 will climb circles around a 747, but the 747 is a lot faster speed wise. The 747 design trades off lift for speed, and the 777 goes for lift instead.

    So a brain tuned for will suck at


    Sorry for no scientific explanation or link, but at least in the engineering "law of tradeoffs" no matter what you do to improve a design in one area, you're guaranteed to be screwing it up someplace else, and it still appears to hold true even for our brains.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

  3. #3
    MysticSonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can always depend on Hugo to ask the questions I just can't seem to put into words.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

    "Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


  5. #5
    Waddlesworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I learn towards the interpretation that the functions work so well together because they DON'T interact.

  6. #6
    Waddlesworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lean, not learn... ugh

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddles
    I learn towards the interpretation that the functions work so well together because they DON'T interact.
    yeah.. and because functions like, Si and Ni, cannot coexsit, because they butt-heads if they try. The only form of intuition Si can live with without disrupting Si is Ne.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think that they interact but that the product of their interaction is neutral.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Dual functions are like two sides of the same coin

    In summary:
    =
    =
    =
    =


    Details:
    and are actually the same thing.

    If you have a developed then your is automatically undeveloped. If your is developed then your is automatically undeveloped. They cannot be developed together. It's either one or the other.

    As a result, a person with developed needs someone with developed .

    A person with developed automatically suppresses in order for to actually develop and function.


    Why does clash with or ?
    and are two side of the same coin. is on a seperate coin altogether.

    What are your thoughts?

  10. #10

    Default

    Pretty interesting. Why are certain functions on the same coin? Seems almost like a developmental decision-tree.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I made a post a while ago called "observation related to the hidden agenda" or something of that nature in which I linked a comparatively underdeveloped creative function to a strong hidden agenda and a comparatively underdeveloped base function to a strong dual-seeking function. I think that your ideas in this post are completely correct and that the strength of one function will grow or diminish as the strength of the function that supports it grows or diminishes.

  12. #12
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,071
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think this is anything new. It's just an interpretation of something that has already been said hundreds of times. A good interpretation, nonetheless.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell Demon
    Pretty interesting. Why are certain functions on the same coin? Seems almost like a developmental decision-tree.
    Think of an on/off switch. There are not two separate buttons. There is only one switch for two functions - switching on and switching off.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    I made a post a while ago called "observation related to the hidden agenda" or something of that nature in which I linked a comparatively underdeveloped creative function to a strong hidden agenda and a comparatively underdeveloped base function to a strong dual-seeking function. I think that your ideas in this post are completely correct and that the strength of one function will grow or diminish as the strength of the function that supports it grows or diminishes.
    Could you provide a link please. Thanks.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark
    I don't think this is anything new. It's just an interpretation of something that has already been said hundreds of times. A good interpretation, nonetheless.
    Could you provide a link of where it has already been said please. Thanks.

  16. #16
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,071
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    Could you provide a link of where it has already been said please. Thanks.
    I was speaking in general terms. And I 'm feeling kinda lazy and unmotivated to look up for a specific evidince.

    Your Fe sucks, by the way
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    God, Hugo! I would hate the see the mug of the person's face you ripped off this time around! What a freak!


  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ohh yeah, and I agree with the general premise ... but I am not sure if I agree that a person who has both and will not be able to develop both, just one becomes the creative function and one becomes the hidden agenda. Both can be developed over time, but not at the same time.

    That is sort of why I think I am confused about whether I am alogical type or an ethical type. I have tried to develope both my and my at diffrent periods in my life and I have been confused as to what goes where. So, I am stuck somewhere between ENTp,ENFj, or INFp.

  19. #19
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,772
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So how would you explain the functional analysis of the types? For example, an ENTP has NeTiFeSi. How would Fe be one of their active functions at all if what you say is true?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In socionics, ENTP (ILE) is Ne-Ti-Se-Fi.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    Ohh yeah, and I agree with the general premise ... but I am not sure if I agree that a person who has both and will not be able to develop both, just one becomes the creative function and one becomes the hidden agenda. Both can be developed over time, but not at the same time.
    As I said, it's like an on/off switch. If is on, is off. And vice versa.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    That is sort of why I think I am confused about whether I am alogical type or an ethical type. I have tried to develope both my and my at diffrent periods in my life and I have been confused as to what goes where. So, I am stuck somewhere between ENTp,ENFj, or INFp.
    This should sort problem out:
    http://the16types.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1789

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Kevin Roberts statement

    Does it have any significance with regards to (understanding) socionics, in particular with regards to and .

    "Without emotion, rational thought slows and disintergrates. Our reason must have emotion to engage it."

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Florida
    TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Posts
    3,245
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not only that, but thinking ( ) is done a lot better in an environment that is not unstable ( ). There is also more benevolence (a desired ) associating with competency ( ).

    I don’t know if Fe transfers emotion to other people. There is an effect on people when, say, an EXFj walks into the room. Is it because emotion is being transferred to other people? I am guessing that Fe creates a condition for others to activate a part of them (maybe Fi) that creates the condition of motivation.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

    "Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •