When we think of , we usually think of it as the awareness of emotions. functions by replicating another person's subjective state in the mind, thus allowing for the observation of the emotions which arise in the context of the state. It is by these means that the dominant individual "puts themselves in others' shoes" and finds grounds for empathy. When we consider from this standpoint, however, we observe only its singular manifestation that replicates the states of individual objects. When we consider the replication of several object states at once and its consequences for awareness, there is apparent another, broader side of .

How does one compute multiple subjective states in the mind? The short answer is by union or intersection: union to determine what people have in common; intersection to determine how they are different and to contrast the differences. The similarities amongst the simultaneously modeled states are congealed into one awareness which represents all of them as a single object. It is this object which constitutes the emotional aspect of nation. The inverse function, contrast, delimmits the boundaries between these composite objects, and provides the emotional basis for divisions between states.

I credit Hitta for his hypothesis of positive and negative function forms as the basis for my conclusion that has uniting and intersecting modes of functionality. (the positive and negative forms, respectively)

I need a term that reflects the role of objects as both singular entities and composite entities. Any ideas?