Thread: Predicting the behavior of others

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Predicting the behavior of others

Quote Originally Posted by socioniko.net
    From empirical observations of how a man acts at various times he creates something like a functional model in his mind.
    This is said to be a quality unique to the INTp. I am wondering, however, to what extent the other types do this too.

Do YOU find yourself consciously making an effort to predict others' reactions before speaking? How often do YOU predict the outcome of an event?

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frequently, though it's hard to do while in conversation. I more predict how people will respond in a situation or if/when something happens.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm pretty good at knowing how someone will react to something I say. Or how they'll react to something someone else says for that matter.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat
    From empirical observations of how a man acts at various times he creates something like a functional model in his mind.
    This is said to be a quality unique to the INTp. I am wondering, however, to what extent the other types do this too.

Do YOU find yourself consciously making an effort to predict others' reactions before speaking? How often do YOU predict the outcome of an event?
    Fundamentally, I think this is an related trait, not restricted to INTp. I do this myself (try to gauge reactions before saying something), and I'm usually 80-90% correct. I'm also very good at picking up nonverbal cues, except when I place too much importance on the outcome. I focus too much on the result I want and try to consciously manipulate the situation.

I don't however, attempt to finish someone's sentences for them. I have a neighbor who does this and it's hella annoying.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ENFps and INTps should be good at prediction. Both use +Ni which is the function of prediction.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm, maybe if i have to talk about something delicate, I might think about the best way to say something in order to minimize pain, stress, whatever, which might require thinking about how that person will react. I would say I spend a lot of time weighing options rather than predicting. Predicting is done on an unconscious level, so that when I say "is this an option?" i would immediately "know" "no" or "yes" it is an option because it is more likely than in the past, etc. (of course it doesn't mean its an accurate prediction).

Actually I find rather often that I sit around waiting for someone to say things -- so this involves knowing what they will say, but this is silent prediction.. in any case predicting outcomes is not the emphasis of my thought as much as they are an automatic activity.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune

Fundamentally, I think this is an related trait, not restricted to INTp. I do this myself (try to gauge reactions before saying something), and I'm usually 80-90% correct. I'm also very good at picking up nonverbal cues, except when I place too much importance on the outcome. I focus too much on the result I want and try to consciously manipulate the situation.

I don't however, attempt to finish someone's sentences for them. I have a neighbor who does this and it's hella annoying.
    I just agree with everything in this post by aka-kitsuke.

INTp is more confident than me in his predictions of how a person will react to events and topics because I concentrate too much on different variables. I end up seeing too many possibilities because I get caught up in the detailed aspects of the reaction and lose sight of the overall reaction. Nevertheless, I'm pretty good at predicting the short-term reaction from real-time nonverbal cues.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never. Both cases.

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune
    Hah, I'm the kind of person that finishes other people's sentences. But I only do it when I am on the same wavelength with another person and they are having trouble expressing what they are thinking so I help. I've noticed I do this with my IEE friend a lot. Finish, rephrase his thoughts.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. And yes, I agree this is .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really try to predict others reactions... but I just play some possible scenarios and outcomes over and over and over again in my head. I just think of what I'm going to say, and what others might say, before I speak, in my head.

I may or may not be mentally disturbed.

And I often try to finish others sentences, yeah.