Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what genre would you descibe this as?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default what genre would you descibe this as?

[video width=300 height=80:c5b3094dca]http://media.imeem.com/m/SA4gGoiRyO/aus=false/[/video:c5b3094dca]

It is a remix of a song from a video game apparently, but it has a Latin flair to it, yes?
    It is somewhat danceable, but also instrumental. Not too emotional.

if you have any suggestions or can recommend other similar music, do it here. Thanks.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i couldnt listen to anymore after about 25 seconds.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Zelda remix. Not sure what genre that would fall into. It does seem sort of Latin.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: what genre would you descibe this as?

Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    It is a remix of a song from a video game apparently, but it has a Latin flair to it, yes?

if you have any suggestions or can recommend other similar music, do it here. Thanks.
    That's from Ocarina of Time. Ocremix. Excellent source of free music, imo.

I'm not great at genres unfortunately.

Anyway, maybe you like the artist? Scott Peeples has written other stuff there. A couple from my own collection of his stuff:
    Goldeneye 007 Facility (Hacker Remix)
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00148/

Goldeneye 007 Controlled Jazz
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00227/

Donkey Kong Country 2 "GhostofStHelens"
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00360/

Or if you like the song itself, here are a couple of other versions of it...
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01140/
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00368/

And the one you posted for download:
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00109/

And for relaxingish ocremixes, maybe try a couple of these?
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00595/
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00538/
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01427/
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01466/
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01108/
    http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01332/

(Sorry, way more than you asked for. )

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Starting a station on last.fm with 'Koji Kondo' (the original composer of Ocarina of Time) gets some good results - mostly video game music. The genre listed on most of the tracks just tends to be 'game music' 'ost' etc., so that isn't much help !

Koji Kondo's work shows at least three major influences: Latin music, jazz music, and classical music (mainly ragtime and march music), often with a strong cinematic flair. Latin is particularly evident in his bouncy themes throughout the Mario series, such as the soundtrack to Super Mario Bros. 3. The happy main theme has a slow, samba-like rhythm. The second theme offers a more up-beat, ragtime-like style. The Bowser theme would not sound out of place being played by a Mexican mariachi band. This influence also shows up in his more recent works, such as the Gerudo Valley theme from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, a song with a certain stereotypical Andalusian flair.

Kondo's more jazz-influenced pieces also come from a wide variety of projects. One of the earliest examples of this is his minimalist underground theme from the first Super Mario Bros. Saria's theme from Ocarina of Time sounds almost Dixieland in places. All of this is hardly surprising; Kondo lists the late Henry Mancini as one of his most admired influences.

Kondo was trained as a classical musician, and this shows in his more ambitious projects, such as the soundtracks to the Zelda and Star Fox series [citation needed]. These pieces are distinctively cinematic, reminiscent of John Williams' work on Star Wars or Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The title theme to the 1986 The Legend of Zelda is grandiose for all its low fidelity. Several of Mr. Kondo's themes have been famously recorded with full orchestral backing, with several tours of his work featured highly in concerts presented world-wide [citation needed].

Kondo's work is also highly influenced by Eastern Asian music. His songs are predominantly melody-based with little supporting harmony, which is in keeping with the Asian tradition. This makes him somewhat unique among the most popular video game composers, as his counterparts such as Nobuo Uematsu and Koichi Sugiyama produce more Western-sounding compositions for their games.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[video width=300 height=80:7f55d84344]http://media.imeem.com/m/SA4gGoiRyO/aus=false/[/video:7f55d84344]

I'd say it's middle-eastern electric music.

You might like bands called Bibio or Blackmore's Night.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, for the record, I am not looking for remixed game music. I'm looking for real music, lol
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, for the record, I am not looking for remixed game music. I'm looking for real music, lol
    You seemed to like the remixed game music you posted.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    If that is what you call it, it is very poor quality. I know of brilliant fusion (it's what I'd call this kind of music). Most of my music consists of songs which sound slightly like that, but which are so much more well produced.

Courage, if you like this, look at the Buddha Bar series. A lot of music on there is poor (but you might enjoy it), but a lot of it is very high quality. Also, you might like the Eighteenth Street Lounge record label, specifically Thievery Corporation, The Karminsky Experience Inc. and Thunderball. You may also wish to give Gotan Project a try. They mix tango and electronica, and the result is fantastic.

However, I could be wrong, and I could be angling you in an entirely different direction to the one you had anticipated. If this is the case, I apologise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try some traditional persian folk, music of guinea, or music of bali (gamelan). they bear little resemblance to this song (which seems too "elevator" for my taste) but were brought to mind nonetheless.

you might like Explosions in the Sky or if you like something more percussive/out there, but still ambient - Four Tet.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds to me like britney spears sort of pop. latin music has a lot more soul. and really cool rhythms. 3:2 claves and such. it is my favorite stuff to play on drums.

a latin drum solo by antonio sanchez

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n1JW17tZVI[/youtube]
    asd

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think, , I need more dance/lounge music. No words, just energy and movement.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    If that is what you call it, it is very poor quality.
    Well, of course it's low quality.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bibio

It's amazing how you always seem to avoid my posts.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might recommend pandora.com ... it's a site where you pick music and then it selects more music that it thinks is similar to your preferences. It often fails to understand what I like about music... like I usually like the emotional content, but it might pick songs based on my preference for "minor key tonality." In any case you can mark which songs you like and don't like, and then it can use that to get better at picking more songs for you. I haven't been using the site very long, but so far it has a pretty slow learning curve about my music preferences... still, it has provided a great many songs that I like and never knew about before... so... it is worth it IMO.

If it seems to be entirely off about what I like I can just feed it more songs... it seems to try to find a pattern, and it does find patterns, just not maybe the ones that I use (because it doesn't get it... not yet.) I am interested in watching it learn.

Edit: I expect it's learning to start accelerate at some point... I've found that learning programs often start to do that... if they are well enough equipped to really pin it down, or if it is something that can be pinned down. I'm hoping there's some threshhold it can pass where it will "have my number" so to speak and then know exactly what to suggest... but we'll see. In any case I am interested in what it will do.

Also because I can be indecisive about music, it seems to work in a way that works well with that.

I know I'm saying more bad things than good, but it may not have every sort of song... but it's not bad.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    you might like Explosions in the Sky or if you like something more percussive/out there, but still ambient - Four Tet.
    Four Tet bears no resemblance to this song whatsoever. And Explosions In The Sky?

Welcome to my world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    like I usually like the emotional content,
    ALL MUSIC IS EMOTIONAL CONTENT

Do you not even know what the word "emotional" means?

You people sicken me.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what Loki is implying is that the 'emotional content' is to do with Fe-related music.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You people sicken me.
    what do you mean by this?

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Rocky

Sigh... I don't know what I specifically mean by "emotional content" ... I've been trying to figure that out. Pandora picks up on minor key tonality for that a lot of the time... I tend to like music in woeful keys, like C minor... and I think in its own limited way, Pandora kind of sees that. But every now and then it will do a 180 and go with major key tonality for a different reason entirely... another reason why I'm interested in what it will do.

The song Courage originally posted at the beginning of this thread seems somewhat emotionally empty to me... I listen to it, but don't really feel anything... It seems to emphasize repetative sounds or rhythms... it... I can't quite place what it is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17

You people sicken me.
    what do you mean by this?
    I'm so sick of people having such a narrow view of the word "emotion". "Emotion" refers to ALL states of mind.

Get a fucking dictionary people.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    e·mo·tion /ɪˈmoʊʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-moh-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, [bas distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness.[/b]
    2. any of the feelings of joy, sorrow, fear, hate, love, etc.
    3. any strong agitation of the feelings actuated by experiencing love, hate, fear, etc., and usually accompanied by certain physiological changes, as increased heartbeat or respiration, and often overt manifestation, as crying or shaking.
    4. an instance of this.
    5. something that causes such a reaction: the powerful emotion of a great symphony.
    [Origin: 1570–80; appar. < MF esmotion, derived on the model of movoir: motion, from esmovoir to set in motion, move the feelings < VL *exmovére, for L émovére; see e-, move, motion]

—Related forms
    e·mo·tion·a·ble, adjective
    e·mo·tion·less, adjective

—Synonyms 1. See feeling.
    nope, don't see anything referring to "any" state of mind.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you have a chance with something like

emotion, n.

1 : the affective aspect of consciousness

but, in general, the typical definition contradicts yours. you lose.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    e·mo·tion /ɪˈmoʊʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-moh-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, [bas distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness.[/b]
    2. any of the feelings of joy, sorrow, fear, hate, love, etc.
    3. any strong agitation of the feelings actuated by experiencing love, hate, fear, etc., and usually accompanied by certain physiological changes, as increased heartbeat or respiration, and often overt manifestation, as crying or shaking.
    4. an instance of this.
    5. something that causes such a reaction: the powerful emotion of a great symphony.
    [Origin: 1570–80; appar. < MF esmotion, derived on the model of movoir: motion, from esmovoir to set in motion, move the feelings < VL *exmovére, for L émovére; see e-, move, motion]

—Related forms
    e·mo·tion·a·ble, adjective
    e·mo·tion·less, adjective

—Synonyms 1. See feeling.
    nope, don't see anything referring to "any" state of mind.
    You totally missed the point of my post.

Loki implied that "sadness" was the only emotion, therefore, if you like emotional music, you like "sad" music. But all, or I should have said, "all effective" music, is emotional. The general definition here says it is, "in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced". This is a much larger range. Basically anything. Happiness, excitement, tension... these are all emotions created by different kinds of music.

Saying you like emotional music is the same as saying you like good music.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to find music by them. No luck at the moment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to find music by them. No luck at the moment.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Cranked-Bibio/dp/B000DN5VHQ
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loki implied that "sadness" was the only emotion, therefore, if you like emotional music, you like "sad" music. But all, or I should have said, "all effective" music, is emotional. The general definition here says it is, "in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced". This is a much larger range. Basically anything. Happiness, excitement, tension... these are all emotions created by different kinds of music.

Saying you like emotional music is the same as saying you like good music.
    I don't think you understood me either though. I did not intend to imply that sadness is the only emotion... My reference to the "emotional content" was more in regards to the program (pandora.com) because it doesn't take emotional content into account--in other words it doesn't take into account whether the song is happy, sad, angsty, whatever. It doesn't take what songs are about into account either. And it doesn't take lyrics into account. It takes more superficial qualities of music into account... such as the "tonality" and use of subtle vocal harmony (frankly I don't remember). I think it's lacking because it isn't programmed to consider emotional content... if it were it (i.e. pandora.com, not music itself) might be more effective. And also, if I do tend to like sad music (though I'm not sure 'sad' is the most perfect word) that doesn't mean I think it's somehow the best kind of music...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aha, I have founds some things. Mostly via pandora.com

some new Bossa stuff is interesting.

[video width=300 height=80:d6b6d31d80]http://media.imeem.com/m/4J3RzIsWzl/aus=false/[/video:d6b6d31d80]
    Not quite 100%, but, it is ok

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There we go

http://www.vibes.se/music/other/G-Club_feat._Banda_Senora_-_Guitarra_G_(Original_mix).mp3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a look at Nouvelle Vague.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    check out K7 studios.
    That shit is QUALITY. You heard of G-Stone?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a look at Nouvelle Vague.
    She's ok, but.... not what I'm looking for. Down tempo, wordy, full of emotions. Sounds like good music though.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hidden thing box reveals a playlist of things I like so far.

Upbeat jazz might also fit in, but instrumental dance stuff, like the first track on the playlist is what I'm more leaning to right now.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Hungarian" by BOND

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=M50MXI1Ady8[/youtube]

ok.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Hungarian" by BOND

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=M50MXI1Ady8[/youtube]

ok.
    Similar music:
    [flash width=300 height=80:baa30f72bc]http://media.imeem.com/m/aWQFvIpBbI/aus=false/[/flash:baa30f72bc]

[flash width=300 height=80:baa30f72bc]http://media.imeem.com/m/tMC0c_GcLv/aus=false/[/flash:baa30f72bc]
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[video width=300 height=80:3875dc3d3e]http://media.imeem.com/m/4J3RzIsWzl/aus=false/[/video:3875dc3d3e]
    Not quite 100%, but, it is ok
    [video width=300 height=80:3875dc3d3e]http://media.imeem.com/m/d1GAtrs0tp/aus=false/[/video:3875dc3d3e]
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four Tet bears no resemblance to this song whatsoever. And Explosions In The Sky?
    very good, Ezra. if there's one thing that stands out about you, it's how you know everything about everything. so glad to see you've achieved this at your tender age.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Creepy-bg

very good, Ezra. if there's one thing that stands out about you, it's how you know everything about everything. so glad to see you've achieved this at your tender age.
    +6

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks raisonpure I am looking into those.

I found something I like, legitimately:

Pandora.com: make a playlist for Guitarra G, derived from that song. Lots of good things there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast