Thread: I'm back to thinking I might be an INFp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'm back to thinking I might be an INFp

I got INFp on Hugo's new test, and he said that ethical subtype INFps are more extraverted and that I therefore could be an INFp ethical subtype.

This makes sense to me.

Here's the earlier thread where I'm trying to work this out: oldforumlinkviewtopic.php?t=1376

I really feel right with both the INFp and the ENFp descriptions and that makes me have trouble figuring this out for sure.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-

If you're an INFp, that would make your ISTp husband your super-ego.

If he's your dual, then he'd be ESTp, not ISTp.

Your ENTj mother would be your supervisor, which perhaps makes sense.

Could your husband be ESTp? Does he obviously have a big ego and enjoy being admired by others (and fears being scorned)?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was me.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really really sure he's an ISTp. He fits the descriptions so well it's shocking. He thought I was making it up when I read it. And there is nothing at all E about him. If we go out he gets drained. When he needs to recharge he goes into the garage (all his space) and tinkers on car engines and with other car projects. He has to have time alone or he gets cranky.

Our relationship very much matches the dual description, which is one of the things that made me think I was an ENFp.

But then why do I keep getting tested as INFp?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And he doesn't have a big ego at all. He has a lot of self doubt and needs me to reassure him all the time.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to test as INTj, mainly because of a self-image as introvert.

What made me realize that I am much more likely to be ENTj was my relationships - they make perfect sense for an ENTj, none for an INTj - and my functional ordering - - very clearly ENTj rather than INTj.

Something similar was happening to Steventj, I understand.

Perhaps something in the way you perceive yourself makes you test as INFp.

IMO you sound more like than in your posts, so I'd guess ENFp would be more likely.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks - that's what Rocky and rcmcnew thought too. But I get a bit of self-doubt sometimes when I take these tests because I often (half the time?) seem to get INFp.

Can you tell me how and sound different?
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm an amateur in this myself.

But is , among other things, about expressing, and being aware, of your feelings for other people -- that is, being "emotional".

is about understanding - and even manipulating - other people's emotions, rather than being obviously emotional yourself.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, hearing those descriptions I definitely feel more than

Thanks again!
    -Mark Twain

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I tend to test as INTj in tests, mainly because of a self-image as introvert.

What made me realize that I am much more likely to be ENTj was my relationships - they make perfect sense for an ENTj, none for an INTj - and my functional ordering - - very clearly ENTj rather than INTj.

Something similar was happening to Steventj, I understand.
    Yes, I've not once ever tested as an ENTj, or any sort of Extrovert, but that's what I am. E/I has more to do than just social interaction. I'm very much focused on the external world all the time. I'm always "out there" exploring new ideas, or interacting with different people on different forums, and only rarely do I really need alone time to myself. But because socially in person I tend to be very quiet and not say much (to an extreme) I always perceived myself as an Introvert, to the tune of 80-90% on tests.

The other big hint with me is that my PoLR was very clearly which is ENxj. That and the Jack London ENTj profile really seemed to nail me down, and ISFj really matched my wife well, and I know our relationship is a duality.

Creepy-

ghfh

Creepy-

fdgjfdasfdsa

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    If you're still unsure, Nicky...

How do you feel about being ignored?
    I hate it. Does anyone like being ignored?
    -Mark Twain

Creepy-

fdasjfdghsafjdas

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    But do you hate it to the point that it shatters you?
    It depends on the context . . . I'm trying to think of a time I've been ignored so I can remember how I felt about it.

Hmm you can see why this is hard.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK I thought about this some more as I cleaned dinner dishes.

There are times when I'd probably rather be ignored because I don't really want to be the center of things. Other times I wouldn't want to be ignored.

But if I am the center of things and someone blatantly ignores me, that would feel like they didn't like me or something I did and I would really be bothered by that.

But just generally being ignored wouldn't bother me so bad that I could possibly say I would feel shattered by it. Like I said, unless it was someone blatantly ignoring me because of something I did or said or something.
    -Mark Twain

Creepy-

fgjdsas

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to feel strongly about being dependant, but now that I'm married I like the inter-dependance. I still hate being controlled.
    -Mark Twain

Creepy-

afhkjdhdas

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

And as far as e vs. i goes, I definitely get my energy from being around people. I get stir crazy if I'm in the house too long and I have to go ANYWHERE there are people - the mall, the park, wherever. If I go to a party or something I'm wired for a couple of hours after and I can't get to sleep. It seems weird that I'd be an I anything.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicky,

I'd say that the accumulated evidence does indicate that you're more likely to be an ENFp than INFp.

Yet, you may well still test as INFp some times. I suggest you give that only relative importance.

Tests - and profiles, for that matter - are good for eliminating the obvious, for instance, it's extremely unlikely that an ENFp would ever test as ISTj, or that an INTj would identify with an ESFp profile.

Profiles and tests also inevitably reflect personal biases and perceptions of their authors, which are then filtered through your own self-perception, which leads to further inaccuracies.

When being more precise, to decide between more similar types, you have to look at everything - tests, profiles, relationships, functions.

And it may well be that none of those, individually, will fit you perfectly -- then you have to decide which type is the likeliest, taking everything into account.

That is, by the way, the big picture that some of the most acid critics of rmcnew's site are missing. Regardless of flaws in its content, the site does make a point of saying that none of those individual methods should be seen as the final word when typing. Those who consider that "confusing" are just being intellectually lazy.

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    You do sound like an ENTj. I find I don't participate in threads that you do as you've already said pretty much what I would have.
    lol, one of my co-admins on a site is also a self-identified ENTj (only he properly identified himself and I didn't) and we can usually tag team. Your turn or my turn? Hey did you get that one over there? No, okay I'll take care of it. No need to even both reading each other's posts except for entertainment value because we think *exactly* alike. And actually, I've always posted and behaved online most similarly to ENTj's (there are a few others that I've worked with that were also ENTj). INTjs are always more quiet and less sure of themselves it seems. The answers were always right in front of me I guess but I just couldn't possibly see myself as an extrovert due to the fact that I've always been socially IRL very quiet. I always wondered why my fellow INTj buddies were so much less "vocal" than I was. well DUH, I wasn't really an INTj...