Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The curse of Ni

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The curse of Ni...

Yes. is often the bane of my existence. *caution, rant ahead*

I find myself unable to just turn it off. It's like I'm compulsively driven to make meaningful connections between known behavior and predictions for future strategy. My relationships (the intimate ones I tend to focus attention on) become battlegrounds where I have to make quantifiable gains, and I rely on my to provide me with answers that I can use in the service of .

But fails me!!! It's a dull scrying stone when I really need it!!

People aren't generally predictable. A relationship between two of them is even less predictable. And add in irrationality? Forget it. Meanwhile, goes into overdrive and I'm reading personality theory and even grasping at astrology for some notion of what to expect and how to prepare. I'm almost always trying to remember what I learned before and why it doesn't seem to help me this time around. But what help would that be anyway if every situation is different from the last? Deja vu, but slightly different. Deja-almost-vu. Aggghhhhh!

Ultimately, I'm too focused on the similarity of the situation to past ones, and desperately trying to foresee events unfolding in the future. impression + comment + action = ????

And the same produces little irksome revelations, like that the guy in front of me at the supermarket checkout yakking on his cellphone could easily move up a little so that I can put my groceries down on the belt. But no, he's oblivious to anyone else but himself. HELLO!!! You're not alone! How difficult is that to grasp?

Yes, will also tell me when the waiter has not grasped my food order correctly and will undoubtedly get it wrong unless I inquire and clarify.

OK, sure, I'm perceptive. And that undoubtedly makes me look pretty smart... great. So I can draw meaningful conclusions in relatively meaningless encounters. But when it comes right down to it, why can't I trust to help me with the important gravitas of my life???

[hr:4625932e5a]

In conclusion, I think I'd like to trade places for a while with an valuing type. Any takers?? :wink:
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have a thread in alpha right now complaining about Ne. so you're not alone! lol Ne isn't any better....if that makes any difference. lol

your dual or another static person who is rooted in the now could help. they'll draw you into the present and help reduce your uncertainty about what you should do.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if this is Ni. I sometimes fall into a trap of "there are no good paths to take". In these situations I can't see any path of action which would lead to a positive outcome. This makes me kind of "freeze" and put me into a state where I can't really do anything except try to think a way out. This is very bad if it happens at work. It is very hard to explain to others if I haven't been able to do much anything because it seems whatever path I choose my output will be useless in two to three weeks and I have to do it again. I desperately try find some completely different approach. Then someone asks "have you already finished the thing you promised to do today?". I try to explain why I haven't. Then they roll their eyes and say "you are making it too difficult...it is not a difficult task, takes only some hours...for example you can approach it like this...". Then I keep on explaining how the whole task will be meaningless in three weeks and it makes no sense to do it at all in its current form. Then they just roll their eyes more. I have tried to learn to effectively do meaningless stupid tasks because it is usually appreciated more than spending time thinking about how to turn them into useful tasks.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The curse of Ni...

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune
    And the same produces little irksome revelations, like that the guy in front of me at the supermarket checkout yakking on his cellphone could easily move up a little so that I can put my groceries down on the belt. But no, he's oblivious to anyone else but himself. HELLO!!! You're not alone! How difficult is that to grasp?
    That's ?!!!!!! This happens to me all the time. When I'm in a grocery line I'm always working on forseeing that everything proceeds smoothly. I want the person ahead of me (when there's a line and it's busy) to compact their groceries into a small space and put the divider down (when I can't reach it), then I can do the same and put a divider down for the next person so that they can get unloaded as quickly as possible. This is because I want to be able to keep up with the rate the cashier is checking at. I want it to work so that by the time the cashier's done I've also finished swiping my various cards in the reader/machine and then all s/he has to do is hand me my receipt and move on to the next person. By accomplishing this as smoothly and quickly as possible this enables the line to move faster, which is good for lowering everyone's stress levels. It's also good not to overload the cashier with stupid conversations and complaints (as some annoying customers do) because that will make it difficult for the cashier to concentrate and the line will then move less smoothly--distracted cashiers are more likely to make mistakes and mistakes take time. It is best to always be kind and polite to the cashier. If things aren't keeping up with the correct rate (the cashier's rate of checking, the unloading process, the line, etc.) I may start feeling anxious... because I keep getting that feeling "the time to act is now, the time to act is now..." to ensure the unfolding of events in the way that I want, but then I have to wait.... it's not that I mind waiting... but I don't like that feeling that the different rates are out of sync when there are things that could get them into better sync with one another...

Actually it seems that urgency activates ...

Yes, will also tell me when the waiter has not grasped my food order correctly and will undoubtedly get it wrong unless I inquire and clarify.
    I didn't realize this was either. This is also something I do a lot when talking to people.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(In Napoli where love is King)
    (When boy meets girl)
    (Here's what they say)

When the moon hits your eye
    Like a big-a pizza pie
    That's
    When the world seems to shine
    Like you've had too much wine
    That's

Bells'll ring
    Ting-a-ling-a-ling
    Ting-a-ling-a-ling
    And you'll sing "Vita bella"
    Hearts'll play
    Tippi-tippi-tay
    Tippi-tippi-tay
    Like a gay tarantella

When the stars make you drool
    Joost-a like pasta fazool
    That's
    When you dance down the street
    With a cloud at your feet, you're in love
    When you walk in a dream
    But you know you're not dreamin', signore
    'Scusami, but you see
    Back in old Napoli, that's

(When the moon hits your eye)
    (Like a big-a pizza pie, that's )

That's

(When the world seems to shine)
    (Like you've had too much wine, that's )

That's

(Bells will ring)
    (Ting-a-ling-a-ling)
    (ting-a-ling-a-ling)
    (And you'll sing "Vita bella")
    (Vita bell-vita bella)
    (Hearts will play)
    (Tippi-tippi-tay, tippi-tippi-tay)
    (Like a gay tarantella)

Lucky fella

When the stars make you drool just like pasta fazool
    That's (that's )
    When you walk in a dream
    But you know you're not dreaming, signore
    'Scusami, but you see
    Back in old Napoli, that's

In short:
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the moon hits your eye
    Like a big-a pizza pie
    That's
    When the world seems to shine
    Like you've had too much wine
    That's
    Or

Bells'll ring
    Ting-a-ling-a-ling
    Ting-a-ling-a-ling
    And you'll sing "Vita bella"
    Hearts'll play
    Tippi-tippi-tay
    Tippi-tippi-tay
    Like a gay tarantella

When the stars make you drool
    Joost-a like pasta fazool
    That's
    When you walk in a dream
    But you know you're not dreamin', signore
    'Scusami, but you see
    Back in old Napoli, that's (or )

(When the moon hits your eye)
    (Like a big-a pizza pie, that's )

That's

(When the world seems to shine)
    (Like you've had too much wine, that's )

Or

(Bells will ring)
    (Ting-a-ling-a-ling)
    (ting-a-ling-a-ling)
    (And you'll sing "Vita bella")
    (Vita bell-vita bella)
    (Hearts will play)
    (Tippi-tippi-tay, tippi-tippi-tay)
    (Like a gay tarantella)

Lucky freak

When the stars make you drool just like pasta fazool
    That's (that's )
    When you walk in a dream
    But you know you're not dreaming, signore
    'Scusami, but you see
    Back in old Napoli, that's (or )

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you must have completely missed the point.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    No, I got it. This was my mild attempt at retalliation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, is a curse. It leads me to have a lot of synchronistic moments.
    INTp, ILI Logical subtype

Drum 'n' Bass head

GorillaSound.net

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. what was the point?

Creepy-bg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ_uEWDQQQE[/youtube]

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loki, the second time was a freak post (I do not know how it did it), and I cannot delete it since you quoted it to reply. But I do not know why you needed to retaliate against something that was not really addressed to you, but more like the thread in general.
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... if you delete your post replying to my post replying to your post, then I can delete my post replying to your post, and then, only then, can you delete your post. I'm game if you are.

Sorry, I had to.

Edit: I don't know why I felt the need to retalliate either. I think I'm in an abysmal mood at the moment. It will probably pass after I eat something.

Creepy-bg

none of you can do squat unless I delete my posts so there

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    Well then you must participate as well.

What's really amusing is that I would need to delete this post...

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    Well then you must participate as well.

What's really amusing is that I would need to delete this post...
    I'm game... but then we'd also need to delete this post as well.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done. And now I shall share with you the "Terrible Curse of "

Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That must be really tough. I feel for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's ?!!!!!! This happens to me all the time. When I'm in a grocery line I'm always working on forseeing that everything proceeds smoothly. I want the person ahead of me (when there's a line and it's busy) to compact their groceries into a small space and put the divider down (when I can't reach it), then I can do the same and put a divider down for the next person so that they can get unloaded as quickly as possible. This is because I want to be able to keep up with the rate the cashier is checking at. I want it to work so that by the time the cashier's done I've also finished swiping my various cards in the reader/machine and then all s/he has to do is hand me my receipt and move on to the next person. By accomplishing this as smoothly and quickly as possible this enables the line to move faster, which is good for lowering everyone's stress levels. It's also good not to overload the cashier with stupid conversations and complaints (as some annoying customers do) because that will make it difficult for the cashier to concentrate and the line will then move less smoothly--distracted cashiers are more likely to make mistakes and mistakes take time. It is best to always be kind and polite to the cashier. If things aren't keeping up with the correct rate (the cashier's rate of checking, the unloading process, the line, etc.) I may start feeling anxious... because I keep getting that feeling "the time to act is now, the time to act is now..." to ensure the unfolding of events in the way that I want, but then I have to wait.... it's not that I mind waiting... but I don't like that feeling that the different rates are out of sync when there are things that could get them into better sync with one another...
    I just generally think that the people in front of me are just oblivious dolts. And, of course, I posit their severe LACK of to account for their oblivion. They could, of course, just be so self-important that they're incapable of thinking beyond their own myopic needs. Seriously. Pay attention! This phenomenon is just SO prevalent that I often want to scream. (And sometimes do).

Things WOULD go so much more smoothly if more people could be perceptive of the fact that they are not the center of the universe. (Hello!! Light has turned green! Get off the cellphone and drive your car!!!)

Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

logos is charming today.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I would like to trade places with a valuing type. I often wish I were ISFp. I think I'd be much happier. Really. I don't like thinking ahead and imagining future possibilities, trying to follow the cause and effect with relationships and all that nonsense. I want to live in the here and now. I want to enjoy what I have without thinking about what it might someday be.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington

logos is charming today.
    I like Logos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    I wonder if this is Ni. I sometimes fall into a trap of "there are no good paths to take". In these situations I can't see any path of action which would lead to a positive outcome. This makes me kind of "freeze" and put me into a state where I can't really do anything except try to think a way out.
    Yes. I've had this too. A kind of precognizant paralysis. I don't really know what action to take and therefore am hesitant to make any move at all, lest I make one that turns out to be a mistake. That's the point I start casting about for something to predict a clear path for me.

Unfortunately my is crap. =P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may start feeling anxious... because I keep getting that feeling "the time to act is now, the time to act is now..." to ensure the unfolding of events in the way that I want, but then I have to wait.... it's not that I mind waiting... but I don't like that feeling that the different rates are out of sync when there are things that could get them into better sync with one another...
    I wanted to come back to something you wrote here. I tend to get the feeling that if I don't act that the timing will be irrevocably lost and I'll have marred any future success. Each step has immeasurable weight for the future. And I'm constantly trying to determine whether I'm actually getting anywhere.

Or whether I'm just doomed to constantly miss the window of opportunity.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may start feeling anxious... because I keep getting that feeling "the time to act is now, the time to act is now..." to ensure the unfolding of events in the way that I want, but then I have to wait.... it's not that I mind waiting... but I don't like that feeling that the different rates are out of sync when there are things that could get them into better sync with one another...
    I wanted to come back to something you wrote here. I tend to get the feeling that if I don't act that the timing will be irrevocably lost and I'll have marred any future success. Each step has immeasurable weight for the future. And I'm constantly trying to determine whether I'm actually getting anywhere.

yes! I'm always worried about missing that window of opportunity! I think that's why I've been drawn to photography all my life. Especially Cartier-Bresson and the concept of the "decisive moment".
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron

yes! I'm always worried about missing that window of opportunity! I think that's why I've been drawn to photography all my life. Especially Cartier-Bresson and the concept of the "decisive moment".
    When I begin to overthink (well, over- something), it inevitably tends to lead to decision paralysis. I can't tell you how many times I order something from a menu and experience "choice-remorse". I always imagine I'd have been much more satisfied with another choice.

And, I'm generally drawn to people who seem impulsive AND decisive. They don't seem to experience regret.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I begin to overthink (well, over- something), it inevitably tends to lead to decision paralysis. I can't tell you how many times I order something from a menu and experience "choice-remorse". I always imagine I'd have been much more satisfied with another choice.

And, I'm generally drawn to people who seem impulsive AND decisive. They don't seem to experience regret.
    Awesome menus are the bane of my existence. But my dad has the same problem and he's ISFp. He just loves to eat so much that he can't bear to choose one thing over another. He wants everything.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love so much! I know it sucks for you types but it's nice that you guys have the potential to be able to predict the future which is pretty nasty. IEI's especially understand why people do what they do and that helps predict it even more despite the irrationality sometimes. Hey it could be worse, you could be an type
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive
    i love so much! I know it sucks for you types but it's nice that you guys have the potential to be able to predict the future which is pretty nasty. IEI's especially understand why people do what they do and that helps predict it even more despite the irrationality sometimes. Hey it could be worse, you could be an type
    Okay your avatar makes me laugh.

I don't know what's so great about being able to predict stuff. Seems kinda obvious to me that this leads to this which may lead to this but whatever. Glad to feel appreciated!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay your avatar makes me laugh.

I don't know what's so great about being able to predict stuff. Seems kinda obvious to me that this leads to this which may lead to this but whatever. Glad to feel appreciated!
    that's pretty powerful though- you guys think before you act. I usually figure it out when I'm waist-deep in shit.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's pretty powerful though- you guys think before you act.
    yeah we think. and think. and think some more. and think for another day or two. altogether too much thinking going on.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do people always think that their lives (or their functional qualities in this case) are somehow harder or more burdensome than those of others? Is this merely the romanticizing of personal melodrama?
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do people always think that their lives (or their functional qualities in this case) are somehow harder or more burdensome than those of others? Is this merely the romanticizing of personal melodrama?
    the grass is always greener on the other side.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this merely the romanticizing of personal melodrama?
    Instinctively I would say yes. I don't think all people think that, though. And the ones that do probably aren't conscious of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

King Arthur: NI.
    Sir Bedevere: NOU.
    King Arthur: No, NI.
    King Arthur: No No, NI... NI.
    Sir Bedevere: No,No,No,No... NI.

Arthur: Oh Knights of Ni, here is your shubbery. May we go now?
    Tall Knight: That is good shubbery. I like the laurels particularly - but there is one small problem.
    Arthur: What is that?
    Tall Knight: We are no longer The Knights Who Say Ni!
    Others: No! Not at all...
    One Knight: Ni!
    One night: Sorry.
    Tall Knight: We are now the Knights Who Go Neeeow...Wum...Ping!
    Others: Ni!
    One Knight: Peng!
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa

Tall Knight: That is good shubbery. I like the laurels particularly - but there is one small problem.
    touche
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by introspectivedolphin
    I don't like being so because I'm so busy thinking about the future I mess up in the present. The whole "self-fullfilling prophecy" I guess?

Take the shopping line example. I cruise into the self checkout line, and a guy stands behind me in line. I think "oh I hope I don't hold him up! That would be embarassing, to be fumbling with my purchases like the lady in front of me is doing. I must not drop things and be clumsy!" and promptly start feeling a bit flustered, which makes me clumsy. Du'oh.

Or when I'm at the stopline waiting to turn left. I'm thinking "oh, I hope I don't mess this up, turn too quickly or wait to long for oncoming traffic, someone who's a better driver might get annoyed with me, and honk, and make me mess up" then seeing a long line of cars stretching behind me, I feel pressured, flustered, because it's like I'm in the way of the natural flow of things, slowing everyone down with my incompetance.

This is what I hate, being able to see the flow of things, like watching other people shoot hoops and criticizing them, or thinking about what moves to perform, how to avoid being hit with the ball, etc, then suddenly - the moment for you to make a basket is here and you're startled out of your reverie not having a clue.
    that reminds me of something my INTp friend was telling me about him trying to get laid and hit on girls. He said the whole time he was thinking of past mistakes and what he should not do and how that related to his future rather than him just doing something right then. I can see how that's frustrating but I love my suggestive function (don't we all?) you just have to look at it in terms of your dual's need for it. There are pros and cons to every function. The thing I wish I had was being more imaginative. Since I'm I always need constant interaction with the world around me. I'm also jealous how you guys can see connections between stuff and can tell the future. I always trust your judgments.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

touche
    yes, we like heaps of cheese and piles of pickles. we like our meats crumpled in our fists for flavor, our vegetables stir- fried and stacked in parking garages. sometimes we eat little birdies for fun or vomit our lunches for free. one time when we were in our early days of togetherness and joy, we picked up our pant legs then in unison decided it worthwhile to see how far we could stretch them without breaking our legs, ripping our jeans, or losing our voices. the jeans won, by far. indeed, the rhyme has been amended for now to read: jeans rip > legs break > voices are lost. voices are lost at the same time that jeans sound like they are ripping, but aren't. we began to notice some excoriation on our inner thighs, which, when rubbed, sounded like some sort of canon played in minor hippy E instead of happy Methodist D. we of the Knights who say Ni have created the belly button, you see, from the lint of these swaddling pantyhose and an ice cream scoop suitable for flesh, blood, and umbilical cords. praise be to Ni.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

touche
    yes, we like heaps of cheese and piles of pickles. we like our meats crumpled in our fists for flavor, our vegetables stir- fried and stacked in parking garages. sometimes we eat little birdies for fun or vomit our lunches for free. one time when we were in our early days of togetherness and joy, we picked up our pant legs then in unison decided it worthwhile to see how far we could stretch them without breaking our legs, ripping our jeans, or losing our voices. the jeans won, by far. indeed, the rhyme has been amended for now to read: jeans rip > legs break > voices are lost. voices are lost at the same time that jeans sound like they are ripping, but aren't. we began to notice some excoriation on our inner thighs, which, when rubbed, sounded like some sort of canon played in minor hippy E instead of happy Methodist D. we of the Knights who say Ni have created the belly button, you see, from the lint of these swaddling pantyhose and an ice cream scoop suitable for flesh, blood, and umbilical cords. praise be to Ni.
    thanks be to Ni
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast